Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224266 times)

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #2175 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Hi Pyrebird!

As I've been told, no character sheet needed! The bar is about character development, so you can organically introduce us to your character. A character sheet is definitely allowed, but not necessary.

Again, welcome!
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline pyrebird

• Please, pet the Anthony!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2176 on: May 11, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
Well, I'm aware of how I write, so I'm definitely going to write a character sheet for him first.

It's easier than trying to go the long route, and ending up wall-of-texting loads of relevant/irrelevent drivel in the RP-proper, although at the same time, I also think it might be a fun way to go!

This character has an entire well-structured world in his background, but he's moved beyond that inflexible area where he can only work there, so he definitely is my first choice for the GESB. (Two words, Shenmue: Van Aldbaran.)

And hey, since Shenmue's first character simply appeared in the bar, I could simply pop up. But I'm uncomfortable there, too. Yes, I went back to see her first post in there. I was amused.
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline Nero's Fury

• "Soldier's of Vengence unite!"
  • Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #2177 on: May 11, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »
Alright well for this thread Ive given up completely on my charies being powered. 0.o. Its just something I gotta get used to. However if I have a chance to get back into this one, i took some of Al's advice along with my own. The final development was this:

Even he agrees that when I play the right type of charies so I am gonna have a completely Human brawler. He was taken and enslaved a few years after the start of the war, but not by Yeerks. He never even got to hear about them. He was taken by a traditional, little green man. He was about 23 then, by age 29 he was enslaved for years and fighting everyday for survival. Then he finally got a chance to excape and did. But he crashlands near the bar and is slightly wounded (possibly severely). When he heals he pretty much names the woods around the bar his home.

I see how much fun everyone seems to have with their characters, when they aim for develepment and interaction, rather then fighting and power. So i decided a human charie would be best. If this(..)

Post Merged: May 11, 2011, 02:41:44 PM
Ok'd by the mods and everyone else id like to join back in. But in a little while. Ima take sometime to get a better feel for the thread by reading it from the begining
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:41:44 PM by ~ Demonic Knight ~ »
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2178 on: May 11, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »
Claxter's not there to talk to Danielle at the moment.

Ani-Master 2014!

Aldrea2011

« Reply #2179 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
Oops... Must've missed that. I'll edit it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:47:20 PM by Dr. Pepper »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #2180 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
Bye-bye, straw castle.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2181 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
Oh crap, it's Pyrebird.  :XD:

I was kind of hoping I could put off you showing up for as long as possible, but dammit here you are like clockwork. Shouldn't have shown you the posts from last night. They'll never be able to tolerate your insanity. ;)

Welcome to the damn GESB, then. :P Please read the first OOC thread post and the first Bar post in order to get a feel for the place. Character sheets are sort of against the spirit of the place, but good writing is always appreciated among us higher-ups. Kind of scary how we've both officially and unofficially become the Bar's mods. XP Note that knowing something, anything about the primary Animorphs setting is desirable. Good luck out here!

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2182 on: May 11, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »
The fight is over now? Wow!

The fastest visual reference I can give for my Van Aldbaran's physical appearance is this drawing: http://fav.me/d3fct1o
He's the guy at the top left of the image. I'll get a proper one eventually.

Post examples from another RP. Warning: I. Write. Walls. of. Text.

Backstory flashback fun!

Same RP, and associated character, conversing.

Different RP and character, fighting.

Both those characters are as different as you can get, and Van Aldbaran's certainly very different from those two as well. He's sane, and... well, happier. Hahahaha. I try to have a variety of role-playing characters, but Valerie and Sam were the more recent ones I've done RPs with.

@Shenmue KELBELLS! It's you! Time to drop into the RP, I guess. I'm just soooooo used to character sheets, y'know?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:50:20 PM by pyrebird »
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #2183 on: May 11, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »
Hey there, Pyre, and welcome. :)

Let us know if you have questions! Heed Shenmue's advice about the rules, found on the first page of this thread, and that'll help you get settled.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2184 on: May 11, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
*blink*

Okay.

First of all: welcome Pyre! Sounds like you've got an interesting character there, and any friend of Shen's is a friend of mine. Just make sure you're up on the rules and whatnot. I will warn you that the vast majority of our characters have some sort of a basis in the Animorphs universe (though not all), so it's helpful if your character at least is able to parallel that 'verse.

Again, welcome!

Goku:

I think you're exactly right. You need a character with zero powers and zero abilities beyond the human norm. You also need a break from participating in the bar. My suggestion is that you spend some time reading and watching us interact and then PM one of us when you feel that you are ready to rejoin. I would even suggest you sending us your intro post for your new character so that we can review it first.

Thanks, dude.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Aldrea2011

« Reply #2185 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED TO GESB!! WHATS GESB 2?!?!  *panics*

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2186 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
Well, the rules I have no problem with, I'm used to roleplaying by those means, although I do get wordy. So, I tossed a preliminary post at Kelbells. If she says yea, and then I'll ease in.

Van has a history with *a* version of Mar, and he's enough of an alien weirdo that he can slide right in pretty easily from the sound of it. He comes from a universe with a pretty developed galactic community so he's pretty adaptable. Technologies are a little different, as he uses gravitic warp drives that opens up pockets of space and enable ships to get around by bending space-time (naturally, there's a difference between warp-space, and conventional space; and "normal" time and "perceived" time in-warp).

For example, the idea of Z-Space wouldn't be too foreign to Van, it's just en entirely other plane that uses a different technology that he doesn't have, and uses fairly different principles of warp-time. Wait, if I recall correctly... Oh.  Z-space will probably scare the living snot out of Van!

Plus, gravitic warp is affected a large deal by Mar, creating... interesting fluxes regarding Van's ability to leave the Bar once he shows up. Suffice to say, Mar probably would effectively anchor Van's ship to the Bar, unless he tries to escape via conventional space. Which isn't easy.

Gravitic warp is anchored by opening temporary wormhole stretches in two locations within conventional space, and bending them in such a way that a ship can get flung through. On some occasions, anomalies occur, which may force a ship to safely abort the warp, and reappear in conventional space... usually, in the path of a freighter.

"Please-move your ve-hi-cle. You are blocking my-route."

Now would be a great time to warp or something.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2187 on: May 11, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED TO GESB!! WHATS GESB 2?!?!  *panics*

I'm guessing someone decided to take the first 999 pages and separate themso...um...why?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2188 on: May 11, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED TO GESB!! WHATS GESB 2?!?!  *panics*

Calm yourself, lol.

Alright, everyone, the GESB has officially reached capacity! Turns out when you reach 1,000 pages you can no longer expand the page numbers at the bottom, which makes reading through old posts extremely difficult. As a result, we meddling staff members decided to split the GESB into two threads. The sticky at the top of the rpg board will contain the first 999 pages of the bar. There is now a new thread containing pages 1,000 on. This will allow you to reference past events in the GESB more quickly.

Sorry if we caused any momentary panic. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Aldrea2011

« Reply #2189 on: May 11, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
Yeah.. I finally understood that now. And that's a good idea :) the number expand was driving me crazy earlier.