Author Topic: The Nothlit Chronicles  (Read 5386 times)

Offline mrlarry

• The original and the best
The Nothlit Chronicles
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:04:30 PM »
PROLOGUE
My name is Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill. I am an Andalite, and I am stranded on the planet Earth.
But I am not alone. I was found by a group of young humans who were given the Andalite morphing technology by my older brother. Together, we fight the Yeerk army.
But we are not always fighting. Many nights, my shorm Tobias and I stay within the confines of the woods which we now call "home".
<No mission tonight, Ax ol' buddy,> Tobias said, apparently concerned I had forgotten.
<No, Tobias,> I replied. <No mission. Perhaps we could have a story night?>
Story night was something Tobias and I had become accustom to on nights where the was little else to entertain us. Since we began having them, I had heard the stories of such humans as Cinderella, Rapunzel and Little Red Riding Hood; humans that were, as I understood it, famous for experiencing triumph in the face of adversity.
<I don't know, Ax. I don't think I know any more stories.>
I felt the disappointment build inside me. But then it occured to me.
<Well, perhaps I could tell you a story.>
<That would be great, Ax. What stories do you know?>
I stopped and thought. The truth was, many of the great Andalite stories were not particularly well known to me, due to my tendency to fall asleep in class.
I looked up to Tobias to relay this unfortunate news, when it hit me. The perfect story to tell Tobias. One that every aristh knew backwards and forwards.
<Tobias, I shall tell you the story of the Andalite named Nothlit...>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:12:35 PM by mrlarry »

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline mrlarry

Re: The Nothlit Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
CHAPTER 1
My name is Nothlit-Semitur-Bechayl. I am an Andalite Prince, and an Andalite Prince should know no fear.
Yet as I stood there, with a million eyes upon me, I could not imagine anyone being more scared.
I never was a great public speaker.
One of the Great Leaders stepped forward.
<On behalf of the Andalite High Command, I welcome you all here today.>
While keeping my main eyes upon the Great Leader, I used my stalk eyes to seek out my wife and son amongst the crowd. They stood in the front row of the crowd, amidst some very official looking Andalites. My son was swelling with pride.
<We gather to celebrate a new age in our military,> the Great Leader continued. <For eons, our Princes have led our soldiers into battle. Becoming a Prince has been the greatest honor a warrior can achieve.>
At this point, many whom I knew to be Princes held themselves slightly more upright. The crowd began to stamp their hooves slightly, applauding the Princes.
<However,> the Great Leader interrupted, indicating that there was more to come, <the Andalite High Command recognises that the actions of some Princes warrant higher respect. Higher honor. Higher rank.>
A murmur ran through the crowd. Most of them, apparently, had not been expecting this.
I saw my son's eyes widen in anticipation.
<The Andalite High Command is introducing the new rank of War-Prince. Just as a Prince will have a number of arisths in his command, so too will a War-Prince have a number of Princes.>
I wasn't sure how the other Princes would receive this news, but it didn't seem to affect them at all. Perhaps they had all found themselves caught up in the idea of achieving a higher rank.
<After much deliberation, the Andalite High Command has chosen the first to receive this honor. After his recent triumph on the Otoyeh home world, we could think of no one more deserving than Prince Nothlit-Semitur-Bechayl! May he continue fight for what we know is good and right!>
The crowd began to stamp again, more fervently than  before. My son, himself, looked as though he were trying kill some vile creature by stepping on it, except for the look of extreme joy upon his face.
The Great Leader motioned me to step forward and address the crowd. Silence slowly crept up to meet me.
<I give great thanks to the Andalite High Command, and to all in attendence today. Perhaps I should also give thanks to whatever Ellimist decided to make this happen, I highly doubt I could have acheived this honor without one of them interfereing.>
A fair amount of the crowd appeared amused by that statement. So far, so good.
<When awarded the rank of Prince, it is customary to tell a grand story of the greatness that Andalite has performed to warrant the honor.>
I looked around the crowd. They seemed to swell with anticipation, perhaps hoping to hear first-hand the events on the Otoyeh homeworld.
<However,> I continued, <I am not receiving the rank of Prince, and shall therefore not tell such a story.>
The crowd deflated slightly.
<I am being awarded a new rank, and therefore wish to begin a new custom.>
<On my first day as an aristh, I made the grave mistake of over sleeping. For fifteen cyclicks. So as you can imagine, I was in somewhat of a rush. Just as I made it to the training ground, I slipped on a rock and ran headlong into my Prince. He told me that I would never amount to anything.>
I took a deep breath.
<I tell this story because I know many of you will be looking up here and thinking, "I could never hope to achieve such greatness," but I put it to you that anyone can achieve greatness, as long as they believe. I am the first War-Prince. I shall not be the last. Thank you.>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:14:23 PM by mrlarry »

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline mrlarry

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:10:02 PM »
CHAPTER 2
The next day, I took my son to a nearby rylairb, a communal feeding ground with space for children to play.
Every Andalite we passed greeted me enthusiastically. It was not uncommon for a Prince to receive a polite nod from a stranger, but this was so much more. I feared I would be overwhelmed by admirers wishing to meet me.
<Nothlit! Over here, old friend,> a familiar voice called. It was my shorm, Wetam-Postill-Forsoth.
I breathed a sigh of relief. I trotted past a number of disappointed faces on my way over to him.
Our children greeted each other informally, and then went to play together.
<That was some speech you gave yesterday, Nothlit,> Wetam said. <It was almost good.>
I laughed. It was nice to know that, no matter what, I could always count on someone to treat me like any other Andalite.
<Well, I tried,> I replied. <But I know I did better than you would have. No one fell asleep.>
Wetam, too, laughed. <I do use a lot of scientific jargon, don’t I?>
While I had gone on to become a warrior, Wetam had become a scientist. He was amazingly bright for an Andalite as young as we were. I often marvelled at the fact that two Andalites so different could have become, and remained, such good friends.
<In all seriousness, you did well. But your story at the end was very humble. I thought warriors were supposed to be proud?>
I looked at him with all four eyes. <I am proud. Not just as a warrior, as an Andalite, too. Our race has much to be proud of. But unlike the average Andalite, warriors seem to act as though they have no faults. Andalites are proud. Andalite warriors are too proud. We need to be more humble, and as War-Prince I need to set an example. Not just for my warriors, for my son, too.>
We turned our attention to our children.
<I don’t think you need worry about him,> Wetam said. <He always treats my Jahar with the greatest respect.>
<Yes,> I replied. <He does show your daughter respect. But he seems to have very little time for any of the other children.>
I watched as my son leapt over Jahar’s body, and then moved into position to allow her to do the same with him. Some sort of game.
<I just want to be a good father.>
<You are a good father, Nothlit.>
I bowed to him. True or not, it was very kind of him.
<Now, on a completely different subject,> Wetam said suddenly. <Do you remember me telling you my team has been working on a secret project?>
<I vaguely recall you mentioning it.> This was a joke. I knew that he had been hinting at it, trying to get us to ask him about it, for the length of the two periods since he had begun work on it. His asking in the first place had also been a joke, because he knew perfectly well that the fact that I couldn’t know about it ate at me constantly.
<Well, my superiors mentioned that they would like a warrior to come and look at it, and…>
<And you told them that your shorm was the great War-Prince Nothlit and he would be more than willing to help, and now if I don’t go you’ll be fired?>
Wetam stood silent for a moment, clearly embarrassed. <Can you come by tomorrow morning?>
<Of course.>
We let the children play a while longer, until the second sun began to set.
I said my goodbyes to Wetam, and then called to my son.
<Come on, it’s time to go home kafit.>
Kafit, aside from being a bird that is native to the Andalite home world, is a pet name my wife gave to our child when he was first born because, as she says, he makes her heart soar.
He hates the name. Which is why I love to use it.
This day, however, instead of usual embarrassment he shows when I call him kafit, he made a point of letting everyone know that it was he that I was referring to.
<That was odd of you,> I said. <Why such pride?>
<You are my father,> he replied. < I shall always be proud.>
<That is a touching statement,> I told him. <But you do not always need to be proud. Humility is okay sometimes, too.>
<Are warriors humble?>
<A good warrior is, when warranted.>
<Then,> he said, looking at me with his main eyes. < I promise I shall try to be humble, when it is appropriate.>
<You will be a great warrior some day, Alloran-Semitur-Corrass.>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:15:37 PM by mrlarry »

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline mrlarry

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »
CHAPTER 3
<Welcome to our laboratory!> Wetam yelled as I entered.
The first thing I noticed was how small it felt under that roof. In reality, you could have layed two Dome ships on top of each other, and there would still be room, but without being able to see the sky I couldn't help feeling trapped.
Wetam stared at me, clearly wanting to know what I thought.
<It's...impressive,> I said, somewhat unconvincingly.
Wetam beamed. He can be somewhat easy to please.
<Okay, the other members of the team will be here in less than a cyclick,> Wetam started, becoming serious. <They see me as a professional. Please don't do anything to make them think otherwise.>
<Please, Wetam,> I replied, rolling my eyes. <I have to appear professional here, too. Besides which, you can manage that all on your own.>
Wetam looked as though he wanted to say something back, but at that moment his associates entered. One was an older looking female; the other, a male perhaps only a few periods younger than myself.
<Good morning, trocod Wetam,> the female said in a somewhat sharp tone.
<Good morning,> Wetam replied, clearly a little shaken from nearly being caught out. <Allow me to, uh, introduce everyone.>
He indicated to the young male. <This is trocod Escafil-Tahaylik-Winwall.>
<It is a pleasure to meet you, War-Prince,> Escafil said, enthusiastically.
<And this,> Wetam continued, <is High-trocod Darrath-Litsom-Iscar.>
<It is an honor to meet such a respected scientist,> I said, bowing deeply.
<The honor is mine,> Darrath replied, returning the bow. <And thank you for volunteering to test our project.>
<Volunteer?> I asked, looking at Wetam. He avoided my gaze, in three different directions.
<Yes,> Darrath replied, seemingly unaware that there was any problem. <We each have applied the technology to ourselves, but we really need a warrior to try it first hand.>
<We think it has great potential as a weapon, as well as a fantastic way to spy on enemies,> Escafil interjected.
Wetam brought his eyes back to me. <Please,> he begged in private thought-speak.
I turned to Darrath. <It's my pleasure.>
Wetam started to breathe again.
I looked around the laboratory. It seemed completely empty.
<So,> I said, trying to sound nonchalant, <where is it?>
Darrath pointed towards the far wall, as Escafil touched a panel near his shoulder.
As I watched, a large, light-blue, tube-shaped device began to rise out of the ground, and continued until it met the ceiling.
Wetam and Escafil galloped over to the giant tube and began to attach large wires into it's base.
All I could do was stare at it.
<That,> Darrath said, answering the question I hadn't asked, <is the next great step in Andalite technology. That will grant Andalites the ability to morph.>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:16:55 PM by mrlarry »

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline mrlarry

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
CHAPTER 4
<Morph?> I asked, my eyes narrowing. <Morph how?>
<To change your body,> Darrath explained. <To become any other species.>
She brought her stalk eyes around to look at me. <Surely trocod Wetam told you what you were involving yourself in?>
I froze. I didn't want to get my shorm in any sort of trouble.
Come on, Nothlit, I thought silently. You're a Prince, Princes can think on their hooves.
<He...he told me that much, but he did not go into the specific details of how it would work.>
And they say the scientist are intelligent, I thought, congratulating myself.
<You're a good friend, to protect Wetam so,> Darrath said with an approving look in her eyes. Perhaps I wasn't as clever as I thought.
<Follow me.>
I walked with her towards the giant machine that Wetam and Escafil were still adjusting.
<The machine essentially weakens your DNA pattern,> Darrath told me. <All you will have to do is concentrate on the form of another creature, and your body will change into that form.>
<Any creature?> The concept was simply mind-boggling. <And all I have to do is think of it?>
<Not quite,> Wetam piped in. <You will only be able to become a creature whose DNA exists within you.>
<How do I manage that?>
<In a cyclick,> Darrath said, dismissively. <Come stand over here.>
I stood in a spot in front of the giant blue tube. There now seemed to be million wires snaking away from it.
<Raise your arms, please.>
I did as I was told. When I did, Wetam and Escafil strapped wires to both. They then went on to attach wires to each of my legs, my back, my head, and finally my tail blade. Wetam made a point of doing that last one himself.
<This seems extremely complex,> I observed. <Isn't there a simpler way?>
<Not as yet, no,> Escafil said. <However, I theorise that it would be possible to compress the entire device into a small cube, and that all an Andalite would have to do is lay a hand upon it to gain the ability.>
<We often say Escafil would make a fantastic artist,> Wetam added. Escafil shot him angry look. Wetam had used a phrase that was common amongst both scientists and warriors. It was an almost-polite way of stating that you thought an Andalite was not all-together sane. 
<In any case,> Darrath interjected, glaring dissapprovingly at Wetam, <Even if such an advent were possible, we would not be able produce it for some time. Your own son would be a Prince by that point.>
<You're... you're not afraid, are you War-Prince?> Escafil asked gently.
Yes, I was.
<No, I'm not. I just do not wish you to go to any more effort than is necessary.>
<Are you ready, War-Prince?> Darrath asked.
No, I wasn't.
<Yes, I am.>
All three of them stepped away. Darrath reached for a button on the wall nearest her.
I could see the tube behind me begin glow.
Something like a shock, only pleasurable, seemed to run through me. A tingle that almost made me laugh.
After a short amount of time, the feeling subsided.
<Congratulations, War-Prince,> Darrath stated. <You are the first warrior to gain the ability to morph.>
Escafil began detaching wires, with much less care than when they were being attached.
I stretched out my hands in front of me. <I don't feel any different.>
<Trust me, you are more different than any Andalite has ever been,> Darrath assured me. Something about her words made me uncomfortable.
Wetam had been searching in some sort of cabinet for something. He finally pulled that "something" out: a large needle filled with a gluggy purple liquid. He approached me, and went to stick it in my arm.
I pulled away sharply. <What are you doing?> I demanded. I may have trusted Wetam with his tail-blade at my throat, but a needle was a comletely different matter.
<You asked how you would be able to have a creature's DNA within you?> he said. <This is how. This needle is filled with blood from a kafit bird, and I intend to inject it into your own.>
<Isn't there another...> I began, but Wetam interrupted.
<It may be possible in the future to touch a creature and gain it's DNA through symbiosis...>
<And my idea was crazy,> Escafil muttered.
<...But for the present this is the only way. Now hold still.>
And he jabbed it into my arm. It may have been my imagination, but I could almost feel the kafit bird's essence becoming a part of my own.
<Can I try to morph now?> I asked.
<One more thing,> Darrath said as she placed a container of green liquid at my hooves. <This is a numbing agent. We hope to eventually be able to make a permanent numbing agent part of the technology, but for now you'll have to drink this before a morph, or you will experience excruciating pain.>
I placed a hoof in the container and drained it's contents.
<Alright, you're ready,> Wetam said, placing a hand on my shoulder. <Now, picture a kafit bird with your mind's eye.>
I shut my eyes, and concentrated on the form of the kafit.
Then I began to change.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:17:53 PM by mrlarry »

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline Billy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
Can't wait for more!

Offline ANna

• I see you.
  • God
  • guess who's back ?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
Dude, this is awesome. Can't wait for the next post! ;D
I can still remember the words and what they meant.
As we etched them with our fingers, In years of wet cement.
--
And I feel tonight that I let you die, but you could've lived forever it's the smiles that keep you alive.

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:38:09 AM »
So glad you posted this, I love it! :D

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 11:20:14 AM »
this rocks!
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »
dude, this is AWESOME! when is the next part gonna come out? i can't wait to read it!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:10:29 AM by estrid »
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:23:38 AM »
amazing. simply amazing. I LOVE it!
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline mrlarry

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
I know it's been a while, but I'm going to get the next chapter up soon.

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
I know it's been a while, but I'm going to get the next chapter up soon.

dude, u need to put another chapter up ASAP!!! i am impatient and can't wait to find out what happens (yes, it is that good 8))
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Cody-my gayBFF for eva!

Offline mrlarry

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:02:59 AM »
CHAPTER FIVE
For a moment it felt as if nothing were happening. I began to feel a little foolish.
<Wettam, this isn't some elaborate joke that you are playing on me, is it?> I asked privately.
Wettam smiled. <Look at your hands,> he said.
I brought my hands up to my face. Where there had been my own blue flesh before, there were feathers beginning to sprout.
Andalite warrior are trained to never show shock or suprise, but I am certain I near jumped out of my skin at that moment.
If my companions said anything to me at that time, I did not notice. I was paying too much attention to what was happening to my body.
The lower part of my face began to push out and harden, becoming like the kafit bird's beak. A large crack split it in two. I began to move the two halves apart fom each other, and then back together, making a clicking sound each time they met. My main eyes suddenly became able to see much further. My tail began to split, becoming numerous tail-feathers.
Suddenly, the room became larger, and I felt I was falling, even though my hooves had not left the metal floor. I realised what was happening: I was shrinking. But while the rest of my body shrank, my arms seem to grow larger as they became the impressive wings of the kafit. Two more sets sprouted below.
I felt my front legs change into scaly claws, as my back legs sucked into my body.
My stalk eyes were the last things to transform, as if they knew how lost I'd be without them. As they too disappeared, I felt my world go flat. I could no longer see in every direction. I was now completely the kafit bird.
I stood for a little while, absorbing what it was to be in this new body, when a sudden sensation washed over me.
Panic.
I could feel three large creatures surrounding me. I was trapped. They had me caught.
<How do you feel, War-Prince?>
And now, noises in my head. What do I do?
<War-Prince? Is everything okay?>
<High-trocod, what if the animal's instincts have over-powered his own?>
Escape, I told myself, fly away!
And with a loud squawk, I flapped my wings and flew as fast as I could.
<Oh no! We have to stop him!>
<Quick, run after him!>
Everywhere I turned, walls. I didn't know what they were, but they weren't sky. I couldn't get out!
<War-Prince! War-Prince, please!>
<Come back, War-Prince! Remember who you are?>
These noises. Meaningless.
<He doesn't understand us.>
I need to get out, my brain screamed. Then finally, a breeze. That meant a way out.
<Oh no, he's headed for the door. If he gets out, we'll never find him again.>
Freedom was within my grasp. Close...so close...
<Stop, please Nothlit.>
Nothlit
Something I recognised. A sudden sense of meaning.
Nothlit was...was...
<ME!>
I stopped flapping, and crashed to the floor in a heap.
<Oh dear,> Darrath exclaimed.
Wettam rushed over and helped me up.
<What...> I began, woozily. <What just happened? It was like I lost control of myself.>
<That was the animal's instincts coming through,> Escafil explained. <The mind of the kafit is in there with your own mind.>
<I'm sorry, we should've warned you,> Darrath said apologetically.
<No matter, all is right now,> I said.
<Perhaps now would be a good time to morph back,> Wettam suggested.
<No, I would like to try this body out, now that I have control of it.>
<Are you sure?> Wettam asked me.
I looked up at him. He certainly looked different through these eyes. <I am sure.>
<I think it is a marvellous idea,> Escafil said excitedly. <I think the War-Prince should spend as much time becoming accustomed to the morph as possible.>
<Yes, take your time War-Prince Nothlit,> Darrath said. <It would be most beneficial, I am certain.>
I started to flap my wings. I stopped. I wanted to ask a question, but then became afraid of how it might look to ask it; I may have sounded like a child.
But then again, I reminded myself, they are the ones who are able to take care of you.
<May I...may I go outside?>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:09:31 AM by mrlarry »

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:42:40 AM »
that was good. when is the next chapter comin?

Cody-my gayBFF for eva!