Author Topic: morphing heals all wounds.....or does it????????  (Read 5150 times)

Offline bizarrocarlos

• "hey kids wanna turn into animals?" -marco
Re: morphing heals all wounds.....or does it????????
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:57 AM »
well everything is made up of atoms.
and assuming they make up empty space as well, then z-space is just mass waiting to happen.
but i'm talking about losing an arm while NOT morphed, you are demorphed.
if you give 20% of mass you will get back 20% of said mass.
not enough original mass to grow your arm back. unless z-space compensates for lost mass and fills in the blanks to make the anatomy of the morpher complete.
but ax once said if your mass is destroyed while it's in z-space, you're screwed.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »
Man, this whole thing would work SO much better with Atazin physics... partly because they say that conservation of mass is an illusion created by the local nature of the universe (as far as I can tell, it's entirely compatible with reality and modern physics, too). Then again, most of sci-fi works better with Atazin physics. So does most of real-world science. Stupid real physics should catch up at some point here...

This one topic just bought my Escafil Device theory crashing down like house of cards. Made of lead.

I don't know how to feel about this.

It so does not. It just changes the equation. I think your theory is still remarkably solid overall ^_^

Really, guys, if matter can be pulled from Z-space at will, I don't think replacing a bear's leg is going to put too much strain on the overall amount of mass available.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline anijen21

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »
yeah I'm kind of with the OP on this. I mean I agree with the consensus that there is random particles of matter or anti-matter or potential matter or whatever floating around in Z-Space which gives our intrepid heroes the ability to morph into something of greater mass, but the fact is, when they morph something of smaller mass, their own unique mass is sent to Zero-Space completely distinct from all of that other mass. Remember in 18, when all the Andalite scientists were floored that the extruded mass of the Animorphs had shape, pattern, cohesion? That they could be reintegrated into normal space from n-dimensional space? That implies that the base morph, or neutral form or whatever is considered one distinct unit to the morphing technology. If Jake got his arm chopped off, that would no longer be a part of the unit, so what would PROBABLY happen, at least my theory, is that the code from Jake's DNA would just make Jake like it should--complete, with two arms--but only using the mass he extruded into Zero-Space (minus an arm). So he'd be Jake, but roughly 10 pounds lighter.

I mean, obviously this theory is entirely contingent on which book you're taking as canon. My theory's based on #18, just because that's the one where I feel like we get the most hard info about the morphing technology, but like someone said, #32 contradicts it, I'm sure there's a book where Ax loses his tail or leg or a bunch of blood or something, idk.

In either case it's a fast way to lose weight, right? Wanna lose forty pounds, cut off a leg. If only you could guarantee the morphing technology would consider your fat less relevant to construct than something else, like your liver or heart.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 01:37:05 AM »
Isn't it possible that the morph simply goes off of some combination of DNA, its own "image" or "save file" created of the user at the time of morphing, and the subconscious and conscious mental images the morpher has of themself?

What I've always pictured is that, when you morph (or demorph), it uses the DNA as a basis to create the animal, uses its unbiased "image" to cause the animal to become whatever age/size/etc. it was when acquired, corrects anything that doesn't fit the DNA image (ie. a severed limb), and then makes any adjustments based on the morpher's subconscious mental image of their body (ie. hair length, pierced ears), and finally uses the conscious image to finalize the process (morphing suit). The difference would be that the technology would only take the "image" of an acquired morph once (when it was acquired, obviously), whereas it would take a new "image" of the morpher every time they started a morph.

I know, I'm probably pushing it with such a complicated process, but it seems to me that this would solve basically every morphing-related issue out there. If it does that, it doesn't matter whether you lost mass before the morph; it'll call on extra mass from Z-space to reconstruct you because you missing a limb is simply not correct.

Salem's Story

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 07:22:19 AM »
about the OP.....

what about the mertil dealio? or the 'handi-capable' animorphs?

haha.... well, about the mental imagery, alum- no one can perfectly imagine his/her entire body (inside and out)... even subconsciously. i don't think you have the ability to "imagine" yourself back together when you morph to heal an injury... i think the technology automatically takes care of that for you. however, for those morph-artist-people, maybe that sort of imagery training or something is like.... the difference between keeping the plane on auto-pilot and manually flying it. *shrug* but to say that you can imagine yourself back to who you are.... implies that i might also imagine myself as forty pounds lighter next time i morph. or as being at least one cup larger. ;) but if the andalites could imagine themselves as having more muscle mass, etc... i mean, why not use it? there's bound to be some physical limitation to alterations that can be done, except again with piercings and hair length, etc.... also age. i'd love to get rid of my five (count them: five) wrinkles. D:

i reeeally don't think that katmike thought this one out very far. O___o
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
Yeah, the "subconscious image" of the body would have to come after the technology automatically corrects the unbiased "image" it took so that it matched the DNA. Five steps- 1) DNA constructs the original animal 2) Unbiased image created by the technology itself ages/sizes creature, and builds most of the body 3) Creature is compared to DNA, anything inconsistent is corrected to match the DNA image 4) Morpher's subconscious image of the body in question is applied 5) Morpher's conscious thought is taken into account. Actually, I guess step 1 is pretty unnecessary.

Anyway, yeah, in theory, it would be possible to alter your appearance by concentrating hard enough, but that strikes me as a difficult thing to do...

Salem's Story

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
cite mystique from the x-men!

i know a lot of people who don't see themselves objectively- namely myself and a lot of other females. i'm always surprised to see myself in a mirror. but let's say that my subconscious image of my body is not what it is, if you catch my drift.

and..... wow. if the andalites could do all of that, i might actually be impressed. where's ax? i need him over here for a moment...

also, i have to know- what on earth drove the andalites to try to create the morphing technology? like, out of all the weapons in the universe.... why put so many resources into this one?

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:14 AM »
Isn't obvious 'why this one'? I mean look at the power it gave the animorphs, they defied and empire! You think they would have been able to do that with just a really big gun?
Meh.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
Well the morphing technology wasn't even designed for the war against the Yeerks. It was just a project they were working on around that time. And they don't even use it much against the Yeerks. I'm not sure why they came up with it.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 11:33:04 AM »
Intelligence technology, would be my guess. If the US can pour billions into spy satellites and long-range photography technology, the Andalites would probably be willing to put a lot of effort into developing the ultimate spy tech.

Salem's Story

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »
well. i can see that, but for a species that seems to prefer a human medieval-ish code of honor, creating the ultimate sneaky spy weapon seems.... off. also potentially morally.... bad. couldn't you see the andalites originally intending a spy weapon of this magnitude to be more for morphing other andalites and/or sentient species, rather than local non-sentients?

well. that's what the CIA'd do. >____>; slash-'does'.

but then, katmike and reality. so.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
also, i have to know- what on earth drove the andalites to try to create the morphing technology? like, out of all the weapons in the universe.... why put so many resources into this one?

i actually started a topic about this a while ago.  it really doesnt seem to mesh with what we know about them.  i think the final consensus was an elimmist did it

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:46 PM »
But that's our answer to everything in the Animorphs universe! It's so lame! I'm sure we can be more creative than that!

Would Andalite intel people see a problem with intending to morph sentient beings while developing the technology?

Salem's Story

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
andalites seem to have a superiority complex about their bodies though. morphing doesnt seem like a technology they would develop, or adopt beyond the use of a childs toy or something.

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »
LMAO, goob. well, something federal probably just had a bunch of regulations attached to it, damned be the consequences, you know?

perhaps, mr. 1234- double-oh-seven, that just reduced the social status of those who chose intelligence/morphing as a profession. :P

on the other hand, i would have thought the yeerks might have seen the morphing technology as something quite the opposite, as i doubt very much that most of them have great self-image.

oh, well. katmike being ironic. AGAIN.