Author Topic: Morphing in reprints  (Read 2529 times)

Offline MoppingBear

Morphing in reprints
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
So how come the animorphs arent using these in the reprints?

Offline SuperBlue

• God
Re: Morphing in reprints
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
...Cuz they're shoes and shoes can't be morphed
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
Well, technically, the reason they can't morph shoes was presumed to be because shoes aren't skintight, right?  Since those shoes are skintight, they might have at least a better shot at morphing with them on.  In theory, anyway.

On the other hand, though, could they even morph socks?  I seem to remember them always noting that they were barefoot, and I would think that if socks were morphable, they would wear socks.  And if socks aren't morphable, then those shoes probably aren't either.

However, I think the real reason they don't morph with those shoes is because,  well, even as horrible a fashion statement as spandex is . . . spandex is at least still socially acceptable in certain very limited circumstances.  :P

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
While they are trying to update and take some of the exclusively 90s references out of the books, I think the series is still meant to take place in the 90s.  I don't recall those being there in the 90s.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
While they are trying to update and take some of the exclusively 90s references out of the books, I think the series is still meant to take place in the 90s.  I don't recall those being there in the 90s.

ah ok, didnt know they were still set in the 90s, figured they were totally updating them to be present day.  still, would be funny if these came up...

Well, technically, the reason they can't morph shoes was presumed to be because shoes aren't skintight, right?  Since those shoes are skintight, they might have at least a better shot at morphing with them on.  In theory, anyway.

On the other hand, though, could they even morph socks?  I seem to remember them always noting that they were barefoot, and I would think that if socks were morphable, they would wear socks.  And if socks aren't morphable, then those shoes probably aren't either.

However, I think the real reason they don't morph with those shoes is because,  well, even as horrible a fashion statement as spandex is . . . spandex is at least still socially acceptable in certain very limited circumstances.  :P

i think they just didnt bother since socks wouldnt help much

...Cuz they're shoes and shoes can't be morphed

thats not due to some mysticaly quality shoes have though, its just because they werent skin tight.

NateSean

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
I don't recall those being there in the 90s.

I remember them from the 90's, but they were called something entirely different back then. I believe it was called "Say No To Drugs" and Nancy Reagan was somehow involved.

Offline Cliff Cutter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »
Because they cost money and saving the world doesn't pay very well. On top of that they can't exactly ask their parents to buy them.

Jake: Hey mom can you buy me these shoes?
Mom: Why do you need shoes with toes?
Jake: Because they're skintight.
Mom: Why do you need skin tight shoes?

And at this point everything nearly falls apart, because of some shoes with toes.

Offline poparena

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
Also, they're creepy.
Winner, Best RAFproject 2011

THE OPINIONATED ANIMORPHS BOOK GUIDE

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
That too :P
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »
Heh, at least it wouldn't be too difficult to update the dialogue to include them.

Adult: "Why are you kids barefoot?  You kids are obviously insane."
vs.
Adult: "Why are you kids wearing those shoes?  You kids are obviously insane."

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Remember how in the end, they were able to morph some loose clothing. I think that most shoes (maybe even those) are just too bulky/have too much mass to be incorporated into a morph. Maybe moccasins, I always thought they could get those to work...

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
Estrid was supposed to be able to morph complete and normal clothing, including shoes, which I don't think was an author mistake (unlike the instance of shoe morphing in 47 which probably was)

Skill/practice? Just like with normal clothes, but perhaps need a bit more
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
Acturally, now that you mentioned it, why didn't any of the Animorphs ask Estrid how she managed to morph all that
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline Cliff Cutter

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »
Because she was an estreen, a fully capable and trained one. Unlike Cassie who was just one of a small group of fighters in a world where they had to keep their ability secret from everyone outside while not entirely understanding it themselves.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
I'm suddenly picturing the Animorphs like this (minus the shoes of course):
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.