Author Topic: Rank the Megamorphs books  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Yorick Brown

Rank the Megamorphs books
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
Normally, I'd say 'Best and Worst' but I couldn't bear to call one the 'worst' because they're all good.

1) In the Time of Dinosaurs
2) Elfangor's Secret
3) The Andalite's Gift
4) Back to Before (I hated that deus ex machina solution. The TV show actually did a better job handling this premise by making the alternate reality simply a glimpse shown by the Ellimist to a distraught Jake about how important fighting this war is. Much better than having to deal with a bullsh!t 'subtemporarily grounded' excuse)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:04:11 AM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Rank the Megamorphs books
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »
1. In the time of dinosaurs
2. the andalite's gift (loved how they repeated scenes from different characters
3. back to before
4. Elfangor's secret (I'm not much of a history kind of guy)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »
1) In the Time of Dinosaurs MM#2
2) Elfangor's Secret MM#3
3) The Andalite's Gift MM#1
4) Back to Before MM#4

It was a close one between MM#3 and MM#1 for second place, but I like time travel so that settled it. MM#2 is by far the best, because it has time travel, dinosaurs, aliens and nuclear bombs! What more can you ask of a book?  :)

As for MM#4 I have to agree with Yorick. It was basically like saying "he woke up and it was all a dream" at the end, and the plot wasn't even that good to begin with. I know MM#3 was kinda similar in that respect, but at least the plot was good and the Animorphs all remembered what had happened!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:57:20 PM by Phoenix004 »
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:06:25 PM »
I think MM#2 is everyone's favourite megamorphs book.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »
That's because it's awesome!

... and did I mention the Dinosaurs?  :P
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »

I'm not much of a dinosaur person, myself xD

Offline wolfev

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »
Ever notice that most of the megamorphs involve time travel and that includes The Andalite Chronicles. In the Time of Dinosaurs is pretty cool. I do like Elfangor's Secret is pretty cool though.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:06:31 AM »
I think MM#2 is everyone's favourite megamorphs book.

'Cause Applegate went all out with this book.

There was so much action, adventure, excitement, drama inside this cleverly made plot dealing with dinsaurs and alien visitors from long ago. (And Tobias was smart and clever and never wallowed in self-pity)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:12:23 AM by Yorick »
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »
2. the andalite's gift (loved how they repeated scenes from different characters

This is something K.A stopped doing in the rest of the Megamorphs because apparently a  lot of people hated it. I loved it though. it was interesting to see the same scenario play out from a different perspective.

Oh well.

For me, it'd be:

#1 - I really loved how this one played out like a movie. It just seemed epic.

#3 - I love the fact that we got some continuation from Elfangor's consequences from Andalite Chronicles in here.

#2 - Meh. The whole dinosaur thing seemed like a gimmick to me. Almost like a fan fiction story, but I didn't hate it.

#4 - A "What if..." story? Really? Not very original. Plus, the TV show came out with the story for this before the books did, which only further proves the point. The only redeeming value of this was that we got a bit more development on Ellimist's and Crayak's game, and how the Ellimist stacked his odds.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »
How much do you wanna bet that Applegate made Megamorphs 2 after being asked so many times by her younger fans: What if the Animorphs fought dinosaurs?

It was a fan fiction response but why a book is is never my concern. Is the what that matters and Applegatre crafted a very thrilling story.

I forget how good The Andalite's Gift was given the really exciting moments like Rachel's amnesia and Ax's capture.

Again, Megamorphs 3 was most likely a result of fans asking "What if..?" which is perfectly fine. I was wondering that myself but Applegate's writing and storytelling was really lazy in this one. And I've already noted how I feel about that awful ending.
Who's doing this?