Author Topic: The Yeerk website  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
The Yeerk website
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »
Why do you think it never showed up again? Or why they didn't continue using it? It would be a good way to get the word out, and find new recruits.

Maybe because, judging from the book, KA doesn't think too highly of the internet?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
Re: The Yeerk website
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:37:44 AM »
 It may be that, but from a "in character" point of view if you will, it might be that they were afraid of meeting more children like whaziz' face, and having Cassie be reminded of her terrible atrocities. Maybe they did but it never turned up anything truly worthwhile so they didn't mention it in the books, or maybe they just figured the Chee were a good enough source of information and didn't want to rely on it. There's also the whole having to break into AOL--erm WAA's offices to figure out if possible recruits were controllers or not.

K.A. not liking the internet does seem the more practical answer though, I've never really thought about how she might feel about the net actually. I know the guy who writes Redwall aparently hates computers for example, so who knows.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »
Well, they could have started their own message board, run by the Chee.

Yeah, I always laughed when cassie said she was a horrible person for telling a kid who knows about Yeerks that he can't trust a controller. Values Dissonance. Narm.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »
it's confirmed in the anibase that K.A. thinks very lowly of the internet. to quote (or close to it):
if I want information, I can get it 10 times faster in any barnes & noble, as for chat rooms, they seem to sink to the lowest...(something. basically useless)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:51:19 AM »
Yeah, I guess so. I've only heard of B&N, so I don't know what's in there that's 10x faster than going to wikipedia or whatever.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Adrian Malacoda

• Break me off a piece of that
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »
Yeah, I guess so. I've only heard of B&N, so I don't know what's in there that's 10x faster than going to wikipedia or whatever.
Well, I can say for certain that simply going to the nearest Barnes & Noble would take me 10 times longer than hitting up Google.

Then again, I'm not sure when she said that, but my guess is that it was in the mid to early 90s. The Internet has grown vastly since then.
Free Software Foundation associate member #8136

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
You're right about that. By the time she got there, I'd already have the info. I heard somewhere that the net has been around since the 80s, but I didn't get into it until 2000. So I don't know what it was like back then, besides dial up. Heck, by the time I got on via dial up, she's probably be at B&N.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
You guys forget that at the time K.A. wrote the 10x faster line, most people only had dial-up, and that was 56k at best. Jake was stuck with a 14.4k! And I specifically remember being one of the lucky kids in my class to have a 28.8k modem, lol.

I don't know how old everyone is here to remember even using modems, but I can tell you for a fact that K.A's statement was true back then. Things have obviously changed a lot since then.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli