Author Topic: David Trilogy cover  (Read 3404 times)

Offline SuperBlue

• God
David Trilogy cover
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »
Ok in one of my classes I gotta make a book cover for a book I've never read before. So I read all 3 David trilogy books for the first time last week. and just got the cover done about an hour ago.

This is for a grade so let me know what u honestly think about it

Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Nateosaurus

• Superhero
  • God
  • Now madness takes you, forever
    • My youtube :)
Re: David Trilogy cover
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
It looks really good, Blue. I still think the eyes are too innocent though.. but its still cool
Most likely to have a superhero identity 2012
Best superhero duo 2012 (Team Phate)
Most likely to survive the zombie apocalypse 2013

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:07:23 PM »
crap! I just noticed that my cover looks too similar to Megamorphs 3!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »

Might that be because the entire pose and layout is a copy from Megamorphs #3? lol. It still looks good, and you did a good job of cropping out the ani's.

BTW, does anyone else find Cassie's bird poop stain hilarious in this pose? Haha :P

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »

Might that be because the entire pose and layout is a copy from Megamorphs #3? lol. It still looks good, and you did a good job of cropping out the ani's.

haha, i noticed that. looks good otherwise. make the eyes a little less..
too innocent
and blue, what do you mean you haven't read the trilogy? ??? lol.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »

haha, i noticed that. looks good otherwise. make the eyes a little less..
too innocent
and blue, what do you mean you haven't read the trilogy? ??? lol.

Like I just read the trilogy last week. before last week i hadnt read a single book in the David trilogy

BTW I made a different version

I also forgot to mention tht i'm like the only one in my class tht even knows how to use photoshop, everybody else is like drawing or using magazine cutouts LOL so my teacher standards arent too high for this project
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:30:35 PM by Awesome Blue! »

Glaflafock

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »
Is it for a graphics class? I didn't read the first part, so I didn't know you were being graded on this. I'll offer some constructive criticism. Here are some things you could improve on:

Fix the Animorphs proportions.

They look like they've been stretched in width. Look at the original picture as a point of reference and try to stretch the height of the edited picture to even them out.

Normally I never change proportions of a picture I crop or mask unless I really have to. If you're doing this in photoshop, then the Shift key is your friend when using the transform tool. In this case though, you can easily fix this by stretching their height and you don't necessarily have to start all over.

The Blending of David's eyes with the Background.

I really think you could work on this part a bit more. I understand trying to bring out David's eyes, but there should be a natural blend with this and the background than what you have going on now. It'll definitely improve it professionally. You can do this in a variety of ways (layer blends, opacity settings, masks, etc)

The Subtitle 'David's Trilogy'.

I would fix either the location or the emphasis of this on the cover somehow (font, background box, etc) because it's really squished under the Animorphs title, and doesn't really stand out in any way to focus on its importance.

At the same time, you've made the size of both the subtitle and the tagline the same. I would change tagline to something a bit more smaller and out of the way (though that part is just a preference of mine, it's really up to you).

Edit: I just saw you posted before me, so everything above was for your first cover.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
Thanx lol this is actually for a college prep class, she's just tryin to get us to read for once LOL the cover thing is just so we'll be motivated to do it

here's one with the eyes faded a little more
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:50:12 PM by Awesome Blue! »

Glaflafock

Offline Nateosaurus

• Superhero
  • God
  • Now madness takes you, forever
    • My youtube :)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »
That one looks really great.

I agree about making the tagline a bit smaller though..

and also, "threat" is spelled wrong. its spelled as "theat" without the r.
Most likely to have a superhero identity 2012
Best superhero duo 2012 (Team Phate)
Most likely to survive the zombie apocalypse 2013

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:16:23 AM »
...BTW, does anyone else find Cassie's bird poop stain hilarious in this pose? Haha :P

:D Oh my Gee!  :D Swear to God I've never noticed that! What a funny detail!! Huahuahuahuah!!

I reckon the idea of the close-up eyes, is a good one. But perhaps you need a more 'mischievious'-looking pair of eyes. Maybe one pair of eyes looking down; if you choose to keep the position and dimensions of this image, it will seem as if the 'David eyes' are literally watching the Animorphs.
And also, I agree that you maybe need to be a little less bold on its blend. A more darkened and faded effect to the image can also help give that 'mischief' feeling.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 06:25:34 AM »
lol it took me forever to get these eyes(I didnt even find them, I needed help via the RAFchat ppl) I did want eyes looking down but out of all the suggestions, I thought the ones Horsefan gave me were the best pair. But if any of you think you cuold do it, then find me some, I'll even take a picture of your eyes looking down if u think u have a 15 year old psycho's eyes LOL

That one looks really great.

I agree about making the tagline a bit smaller though..

and also, "threat" is spelled wrong. its spelled as "theat" without the r.

Dammit! lol I alway make mistakes like that when im doing projects that r like huge grades

Glaflafock

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
I really like it, although if you want a shorter tagline, how about this: "The Worst Threats Come From Within..." (This would be a reference to the fact that one of the biggest dangers the Animorphs ever faced was a traitor in their own group).
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »
I really like it, although if you want a shorter tagline, how about this: "The Worst Threats Come From Within..." (This would be a reference to the fact that one of the biggest dangers the Animorphs ever faced was a traitor in their own group).

^^ I agree. That's definitely a much better tagline.

Anyone remember what the David trilogy's original tagline was?

#20: "Get ready, there's a brand new Animorphs...."
#21: "The newest Animorph has a secret. And it's not good...."
#22: "A mistake has been made. His name is David...."

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »

^^ I agree. That's definitely a much better tagline.

Anyone remember what the David trilogy's original tagline was?

#21: "The newest Animorph has a secret. And it's not good...."

One of the most misleading taglines ever. I've read the book 3 times and as far as I know, David wasn't keeping any secrets

HOW IS THIS

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:28:32 PM by Awesome Blue! »

Glaflafock

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »
By chance, are you using the wand tool to do your cropping? Because you've removed both ears for Jake, and a half ear for both Marco and Tobias, along with portions of their face. You'll have more control and better results if you use masks, and then crop them with a brush instead.

There is also a black border around where the Grizzly and the Wolf are. It's probably coming from either one of those layers.

One suggestion I would also make for the animals would be to put them behind the Animorphs instead, and then fade them into the background. They look entirely too squished with them as humans.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »
eh, like I said the fact that i'm even using photoshop wil probably get me an A for effort and overachieveing since most ppl r just drawing their covers or doing one on paint. i'll try and fit the animals behind them instead of in front and at this point Jake's just gonna have to deal with missing an ear, it'll grow back when he morphs anyway LOL

Glaflafock

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
The Animorphs look kind of blurry to me, maybe you're starting out with too small an image?  I can't tell, maybe it's just the grain of the photo.

I agree about putting the animals behind...or if you could leave them in front and get it to look like this, it'd look awesome.

And maybe put a little space between the Animorphs logo and the text, it looks squashed.
edit:  Actually Truth already mentioned this :x

Otherwise nice job, it sounds like it's coming out much nicer than most peoples xD

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »
You have a good point about the secret thing. The cover looks awesome BTW.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 07:06:45 PM »
wow dude I can't believe you've never read the david trilogy before, who are you?

I dno how the animals would look behind them, but its worth a shot, or maybe just make them smaller or something cause they definitely look cramped

I liked the tagline across the center before, it looks weird left aligned, but the new tagline is cool, good call mike
maybe if you put that down the bottom and the David Trilogy title in the middle it would bring out the title more, but i dno you can tinker with it

either way awesome job dude, thats definitely an A
way to piss off the rest of the class you curve breaker haha

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
Wow that looks really cool!! I dunno if I'd ever be able to do that, I'd probably do something less awesome... But, umm... I think you should really use the thing Mint put, it'd look sooo cool!! And the eyes are fine, looks can be decieving...

Maybe you should have the 'David Triliogy' underneath the eyes, spread out to reach from each corner.

I dunno how to really improve it, to tell you the truth. It looks great the way it is now, and as you said, you'll get one of the best grades anyways for just doing it on Photoshop!
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.

Offline acdc00420

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »
i loved this fanfic.the storyline fits and it seems like something she would write.if you could publish it i would pay for a copy

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »
Guess who got an "A" and created 3 more animorphs fans and ebook readers?

Glaflafock

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
Guess who got an "A" and created 3 more animorphs fans and ebook readers?

Who?

;)

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »
OJ SIMPSON!!!!! LOL

Glaflafock