Author Topic: The Galactic War: Rogue Element ~The Beginning  (Read 76664 times)

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Re: The Galactic War: Rogue Element
« Reply #720 on: June 20, 2013, 02:05:07 PM »
Aetheas's stalk eyes droop slightly as Ossanlin reprimands him. Somehow the Captain's patient tolerance is worse than the 'swift penalties' of his previous commander, in its own way.

<<I wouldn't have gone to them!>> he says defensively, then realizes a moment later that he's not nearly as sure of that as he sounds. <<At least... I don't think so.>>

One stalk eye twists back to eye his deformed tail. He still hates looking at it, but sometimes he needs a reminder... maybe there's a reason Sector Seven never came to find him. Maybe they never would have.

He's heard the stories, of course- about how Sector Seven controls the electorate and the people, about their greed and their corruption and the way they direct so many of the major things that happen on the homeworld. Much like the existence of Sector Seven itself, he's never really paid attention until these last few days, figuring they were nothing more than tall tales Andalites told to scare each other.

<<I want to fix our broken world,>> he says in his strangely disconnected, pensive way. <<I want to make things better for the People. Is it...>> he stops, not sure how to phrase what he wants to say. <<Sector Seven is supposed to be... powerful. If they'd come to me before I met you... maybe I would have joined them.>> His thought-speak voice drops to just above a whisper, <<I think I would have tried to make a difference.>> The thought seems to be a particularly hard one for him, and he stares at the ground as he walks, as if he's afraid he's done something wrong.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #721 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Ossanlin continues toward the bridge.  The hologram begins to fade as they near the doorway to the main concourse leading to the bridge.  He remains silent for a few moments before speaking again.

<<Aetheas...you're young...impetuous.  You lack control and restraint.  Despite that, I can sympathize with you.  I wanted the same thing after I graduated the Academy.  Not to be contacted by Sector Seven, but to make a difference.  Like you, I saw through the propaganda...I saw it for what it was.>>  He pauses, still moving toward the doorway, before speaking again.  <<It...is...possible to make a difference from within Sector Seven, but it's very difficult.  Sector Seven has several individuals who want to make a difference, and they think they're doing good work.  Making a difference is good, Aetheas, but how you go about making it is just as important...maybe more-so.>>

Ossanlin continues into the main concourse leading toward the bridge, the smooth off-white and silver walls brightening a bit as the recessed lighting slowly shifts toward day-lighting with the natural progression of the ship's simulated circadian rhythm.  Another andalite walks by heading toward the dome, pausing to tail-salute before continuing on.  <<I'm glad to hear that you want to make a difference Aetheas...I wouldn't have asked you to accompany us on this unorthodox mission if I hadn't already suspected as much.>>

Ossanlin doesn't voice the other reason he'd asked Aetheas to come on the mission...the connection.  After Aetheas had joined the Tyrennian, Ossanlin had developed a sort of protective attachment to Aetheas...something like the bond shared between an older and younger brother.  He knew that if he'd denied Aetheas the opportunity to come along, not only would he have lost Aetheas's considerable intellectual potential, but Aetheas himself would've been thrown back to the military wolves from whence he'd come.

Ossanlin had once developed a similar relationship with Claxter, who would most-certainly have been treated as a vecol had he returned to the Homeworld with his "Abandonment of Duty" status.  And now Claxter was coming into his own...developing into a fine officer with a strong sense of duty and ethics.  Ossanlin eye-smiles a bit to himself at that thought.

<<We're going to make a difference, Aetheas.  When we work successfully with the rebels to fight the Empire and Sector Seven, we'll show the People an example of what we're capable of together.  We'll show them that Andalite, Yeerk, Human, and Hork-Bajir can work together, and to a much greater end than any one of our species could achieve alone.>>

:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #722 on: June 23, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
Keslin falls silent as the young Andalite walks with them to the bridge. He keeps his eyes on the ground as they walk, not even speaking to Chris. His own thoughts are rife with a sort of exhaustion that is unique to a creature that does not sleep, a sort of drifting silence where his own memories and those of his host intermingle.

It is only with some difficulty that he pulls himself from his silence at Aetheas' open outburst. He glances at the Andalite, his eyes drifting to the deformed tail, then turns his attention back to the ground.

<<Quiet, eh?>> Chris offers.

<<I believe they are speaking to one another privately,>> Keslin murmurs. <<I am not going to intrude. It is enough to know that the young one is a bit of an emotional creature.>>

<<How do you know?>>

<<Look at his stance, the way he carries himself. His facial expressions,>> Keslin murmurs, glancing briefly back at the young aristh. <<Even if he didn't have that little outburst, it's plain enough. Even for a face as alien as an Andalite's. He might be useful, down the road.>>

Chris doesn't respond to that directly, but his thoughts are conflicted. There had always been a certain lack of discipline to the pirates. They listened to Chris and Keslin, but they were given the freedom to improvise when necessary. A little emotional instability had, at times, been their saving grace. Of course, at other times it had nearly destroyed them.

"Ossanlin," Keslin murmurs, waiting for what he presumes is a pause in the conversation, though it is impossible to tell due to the silent nature of it. "If you truly want to earn the trust of the rebels you will have to allow us to convene amongst ourselves once we reach the first rendezvous point. We will need a place to meet, alone, away from any Andalite surveillance. They need to know they can trust myself, Myitt, and the rest of the surviving Council before they can begin to think about trusting you."

Terenia sets her jaw and glares at Keshin, but she doesn't otherwise protest. Instead, she folds her arms firmly across her chest and follows Illim, scowling at the ground.

<I do not know why she became a nothlit,> Efaen responds. <I imagine it had something to do with her mates, Reven and James. James was human, and Reven had infested him. For them to pursue a relationship, to procreate as they did, Tora had to be human as well.> She shrugs her Andalite shoulders, main eyes dropping to the grass.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #723 on: June 23, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »
Claxter was surprised that an Andalite would not only want to be in a relationship with a controller, but also nothlitize herself to bear a child. <That's certainly surprising.> He said, unable to conceal it. How far removed from her people must she have been to join the rebellion and become Human, giving up everything for a Yeerk and his host? He felt sorry that she was the closest thing Efaen had to her people. <I suppose I'm not one to judge.> He was afraid to ask if Tora had ever let a Yeerk in her head. Without being mind wiped first. He was starting to think the less he knew, the better. He couldn't imagine himself becoming Human for a Human girl, but as long as Efaen considered herself more Human than Andalite, he dare not say that to her.

He noticed her hang her head. <Is something bothering you?>

He noticed what time it was, and that his shift should be starting any minute. <I think my shift is about to start, and I should probably check on the Aristh I've been training. Though since he was working on the brudge last night, he might want some rest. It's kind of funny that someone of aristh rank would be on the bridge at all, but he's a smart individual. Very hard working. You are, of course, welcome to come with me if you want.>
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:40:17 AM by Chad30 »

Ani-Master 2014!

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #724 on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »
Ossanlin turns his main eyes back on Keslin as he speaks.  <If that is what you require.  Would your people truly believe that you would lead them into incarceration or oblivion if under duress?>  Ossanlin's question is serious, though he allows just a touch of muted incredulity into his tone.  Of course, the more-obvious danger would be that of Andalites acquiring, morphing, and impersonating key rebellion members in order to bait the others.  Perhaps that was all that Keslin had meant, but his answer might give a little more insight into his relationship with the other rebels.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:45:44 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #725 on: June 26, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
Aetheas walks for a moment in silence, thinking through Ossanlin's words. He's nowhere near as certain as Ossanlin sounds that this crew can 'make a difference' in the way Aetheas would like, but at least they're trying. At least here, with this captain, on this ship, he might have the chance to do something. Elsewhere, he'd probably just end up fighting every step of the way for his own right to be viewed as a person.

The Captain seems to think that their strength lies in the cooperation of species, but Aetheas isn't convinced of that, either. He sweeps a stalk eye over Chris's body- there were humans with great things to say, but how such a frail-looking, bipedal creature could make them stronger... that remained to be seen. The rebels here still seemed so... separate from the crew. So alien.

As if to justify his thinking, Keslin asks Ossanlin about a rebel meeting in private, without Andalites present. It seems he's not the only one feeling uncomfortable with the situation into which they've all been thrust. He wonders if Ossanlin's talk of 'working together' might just be a distant pipedream.

Not that he'd ever voice that.

<<I hope we can make as big a difference as we need to,>> he finally says to Ossanlin, quietly. <<I hope I can...>> he pauses, unsure how to finish. <<If I may take my leave of you, Captain?>>

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #726 on: June 26, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
Ossanlin nods a stalk-eye at Aetheas, a gesture that any Andalite would recognize as acquiescence.  <<Of course, Aetheas...report to your Command-Warrior.>>

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #727 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
Aetheas does not turn to leave immediately. Instead, he glances at Chris with a stalk eye and says to Ossanlin, <<Captain-Prince, I... I heard that one of the human young didn't survive. I didn't know any human rituals, so I... I performed our ritual. I said the words. But it wasn't an Andalite...>> Aetheas's stalk eyes search Ossanlin's stalk eyes, his posture. He's not sure how to ask what he really wants to ask. Was that right? Was I hasty? Should I have learned the proper ritual first? Should I be mourning at all?

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #728 on: June 26, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
Ossanlin nods with his stalk eye again.  <<I'm glad you performed a ritual for the young one.  I'm sure Tess, Keslin, and Chris would be thankful.  Compassion is important, and it makes me incredibly happy that you are willing to show compassion for a being who is not an Andalite.  It is especially meaningful that you performed the ritual in private, because it means that your compassion is genuine.>>  Ossanlin turns his main eyes on Aetheas and smiles, nodding.  <<I'm glad that your view on these matters is growing.  As soon as time and circumstance permits, we'll get you your first crescent.>>

RAF Silverblade

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #729 on: June 27, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
Keslin is silent for a moment. "No, they believe that I will do what is in their best interest," he says finally. "But I have learned that accomplishing such things without a certain amount of transparency leads to...issues." He lifts his shoulders in a small shrug. "I have made mistakes, as any leader does. Through those mistakes I have learned that it is best to be open with them about my hopes, and my concerns. I think a lack of an Andalite presence will help them believe I am speaking for myself, not just puppeting your wishes."

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2013, 08:19:08 AM »
Aetheas is torn between pride at Ossanlin's words- it's about time he was given a real rank- and continued uncertainty at his actions, in spite of the War-Prince's reassurance.

In reaction, he opts to do nothing more than nod a stalk eye at Ossanlin, <<Thank you, Captain-Prince.>> He gives the closest he can manage to a tail-salute and turns around, heading back down the corridor. He's pretty sure he saw Command-Warrior Claxter in the dome.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:23:40 AM by Kitluminator »

Salem's Story

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Claxter was scanning the dome when he saw Aetheas come out, likely looking for him. <Arish Aetheas! Over here!> He said, walking towards him. <How was bridge duty? Do you have energy for some training?> Claxter had a new idea to try to help him with tail fighting, but rarely pushed tail fighting when they trained. Aetheas may never be a great tail fighter, and Claxter wouldn't blame him if he decided to just train in shooting and flying. Still, he always insisted on training his tail anyway. It was admirable.

Ani-Master 2014!

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
Ossanlin turns his main eyes back on Keslin, remaining silent for a moment before speaking again.  <I see.  Trust must begin somewhere...I suppose I'm just as good a place as anywhere for it to start.>  He watches Aetheas go with a stalk eye as he continues.  <I have noticed some divisions...some rebels seem to take their cues from you instead of Myitt.  When you say your people, I trust that you mean all of the rebels, Myitt included?>

The bridge doors slide open as Ossanlin and Keslin approach, and Ossanlin steps across the threshold into the well-lit, spacious, uncluttered bridge space.  The entire forward view-wall is mostly-polarized to cut down the glaring whiteness of Z-Space.  Ossanlin notes Enorryma at the helm.  Until Claxter is trained, Enorryma would be on the helm...there's simply no other option at present.

He nods a stalk-eye in Serid's direction as well, the only other member of the day-duty crew besides himself and Enorryma currently at station.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:36:36 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #733 on: June 29, 2013, 08:35:11 AM »
"You're rather observant," Keslin muses, glancing around as he follows Ossanlin onto the bridge. If the abundance of Andalites, comparatively, bothers him he is careful to keep his expression neutral. "A portion of the rebels here served with my rebellion -- a separate rebellion from Reven's -- for a number of years. We operated for eight or nine in total before we joined with Reven's group. I was effectively their leader, and even after the merge they always looked to me before Reven. Of course, Reven and I..." He trails off, swallowing, composing himself. "Reven and I were very close. We began the rebellion together, years ago, before I split off and formed my own. There were a few instances of my rebels not trusting Reven and his judgment, but for the most part, they knew that a command from Reven was as good as a command from me."

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #734 on: June 29, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Ossanlin nods slightly.  <Thank you for the honesty.>  He doesn't mention the fact that Keslin hadn't actually answered his question about this private meeting of his.  <In truth, I had little to go on, but it was perhaps the only logical conclusion.  You've been trying to place yourself into a leadership role since Corvus.  Combine that with the other small observances...the occasional private conversation between you and a few select rebels, the subtle deferrals...it all said that you were a leader in the rebellion, and that perhaps some of those in the rebellion followed you more-surely than Reven or Myitt.  I certainly did not suspect an alternate rebellion, however.  I trust the reason for your division was not one that will cause issue?  Or that the reason for said division had already been resolved, since you'd joined back together?>

RAF Silverblade