Author Topic: Rumor has it, that an Animorphs 2.0 might be in the works...with Scholastic!  (Read 20711 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
I wonder if it's possible to get books published without handing over the rights to someone. I'll probably never be a good writer, but if I did manage to start and finish a story, I wouldn't want to give the rights up just to get it published.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline thesparkinside

I wonder if it's possible to get books published without handing over the rights to someone. I'll probably never be a good writer, but if I did manage to start and finish a story, I wouldn't want to give the rights up just to get it published.

Nope, not really, but the publishers don't actually own the rights, they have a license for a certain amount of time. When an author signs a contract, they are granting the publisher the temporary right to use their [the author's] property. Generally, rights revert to the author when the book goes out of print (this can be a bone of contention with print-on-demand since someone could order one copy and the book would be "in-print").

Once the author signs the contract, their control is slim. They usually don't get a say in the cover design for instance. With the reprint, it's really up to Scholastic, since they're taking the financial risk of the reprint. They really SHOULD consult the authors, in the name of good relations. But the contract probably says that Scholastic doesn't HAVE to.

And I'd think Applegrant would retain movie/tv rights. Lots of agents will make sure that those rights are NOT given to the publisher. Sometimes it happens; I don't think they expected Animorphs to be so successful, so maybe they didn't bother to hold onto those rights. It's all down to the contract that was signed.

By the way, I work in publishing, LOL.

For the reprint--hopefully they'll fix some typos/consistency errors. I would like new covers. I just didn't like the old ones. I loved the megamorphs 4 cover, very dark! Holographic covers sound . . . tacky. Either way, I'm going to buy up the five or so books I didn't get the first time around. Maybe I'll get doubles of a few of my favorites. Maybe I'll just go to the bookstore and go, "YES! ANIMORPHS ARE ON THE SHELVES AGAIN!"

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Yeah, Katherine and Michael definitely didn't hang on to any of the TV/movie rights for Animorphs. They mentioned (in http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4471.0, maybe? I don't remember for sure) that they weren't consulted at all that it was going to be a TV show, and actually found out via the advertising.

Maybe I'll just go to the bookstore and go, "YES! ANIMORPHS ARE ON THE SHELVES AGAIN!"

At the very least, I'm going to be right there with you on that one ;D

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
With Tocade, few days ago (during our little RAFcon), we thought about what it would be to see kids talking about the beginning of Animorphs in the streets... If the Animorphs are reprinted in English and have success again, maybe they'll be reprinted in other languages too (like The Vampires Diaries and The Southern Vampire Mysteries who are re-edited in French now with new covers), and kids (and maybe even young adults!) would talk about Animorphs, and guess what happens next... And Tocade and me would be (probably like you in your country) "hehe they don't know Elfangor is Tobias's brother" or "Don't hope too much for a love story" and that kind of stuff lol
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum