Author Topic: Which Book Would You Make Non-Canon If You Could?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Aldrea Hammee

Which Book Would You Make Non-Canon If You Could?
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:00:42 PM »
Choose.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
Re: Which Book Would You Make Non-Canon If You Could?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
Can I choose 53-54?  ::)

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
Damn. Really hard to pick between Buffahuman and Australia. Went with Buffahuman, since it REALLY broke canon with the way the morphing cube worked. Hated the Australia book, but at least it didn't break my brain like Buffahuman did.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:04:39 AM »
To be honest I thought the australia one was okay, and the buffahuman one wasn't that bad.

The one I have trouble with is 36 I mean there are atlanteans living off the coast of california and they just forget about it at the end of the series!
They could have gotten three books out of that at least, have the yeerks come back and take the atlanteans or something.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
How is #36 not on there? That book is easily the worst thing in the entire series. It's nonsensical, pointless, does nothing to develop the characters, introduces plot points that are never mentioned again, not to mention just mindblowingly stupid. And the way they escape is never appropriately explained - how did Marco and Rachel get from their (incredibly injured) battle morphs to ORCA (which requires air) without drowning? Not to mention that Marco states he can't hold the hatch closed, and then Jake's plan is to have him hold the hatch closed until the appropriate moment. NO. NO. BAD AUTHOR. BE CONSISTENT WITH YOURSELF. GOD.

I mean, I hate #41 more. I hate #41 with the furnace-like hate that you could use to fuel a freight train from New York to Las Vegas. I have dreams where I rip #41 apart with my bare teeth and then feast on the papery remains. But at least #41 has a few good lines in it. #36 has exactly one fun line ("Mr. Psycho's Nautical Toybox and Graveyard"), and it's in the preview chapter at the end of #35, so there is no reason for #36 to exist as an entire book at all. Well, that and the Luminar's kinda cool.

I voted for #41 by the way, even though #36 deserves it more, just because I can't resist an opportunity to make jabs at the trash-heap that is The Familiar.

Offline Aldrea Hammee

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
 :-[ Lol sorry, I forgot how bad #36 was. Maybe I subconsciously put it out of my mind.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
No hard feelings! At least #41 was on there. ;)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:47:32 AM »
Damn. Really hard to pick between Buffahuman and Australia. Went with Buffahuman, since it REALLY broke canon with the way the morphing cube worked. Hated the Australia book, but at least it didn't break my brain like Buffahuman did.

I went with #39 for the same reason. I didn't think #44 was that bad, but they could easily have improved it. #48 was far too weird in parts, but I quite liked the ethical dilemma Rachel faces. #41 was working until they basically pulled a "Whoops! It was all Jake's nightmare!" on us. Now if they'd altered it a little so that it involved actual time travel, I would've loved it.

As for #36, I agree they could've done a lot more with it.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
I think 41 could have been a lot better if K.A wrote it. I mean, that dream was a good way of knowing Jake deep inside. It showed his guilt, his drive for fighting, his worries. I have to admit that it was a bit poorly done.

BuffaChapman just... just... >_<
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline anijen21

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »
34 or 54
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Alex Oiknine

• Gold Donor
  • I'm moving on, I'm moving on...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
THE MUTATION MUST DIE.

Though, to be honest, it hardly counted as canon to begin with. Freakin' fish people.

Hah, just saw I wasn't the first wondering how it didn't get on the list.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
http://alexoiknine.com
http://aximili.dreamwidth.org

The One (Completed)
The Rescue (Completed)
The Rendezvous (In Progress)

Offline Aldrea Hammee

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
I edited the poll guys, check it out  :-]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
You didn't include 31? That was a perfect example of an idiot plot if I ever heard one. Australia was not the worst. Mainly because I don't think anything happened that punches a hole in my willing suspension of disbelief. Though the weird alien infection from the ship part did seem pointless. It was apparently just to emphasize that Yeerks being on Earth is bad, when that's been well established.

48 was weird, but I often use the fact that Rachel said no to Crayak with absolutely no outside convincing or prodding as evidence that she hadn't gone too far to be able to cope during peace time. So I wouldn't throw it out. Maybe change it a bit, but I do like the general plot of it. The Aniverse version of the Deveil trying to bring the darkest member of the group to the Dark Side.

The mutation and Buffahuman are good contenders for ripping out. I also really hated 53-54. I really don't like that Cassie gave the morphing cube away, but it would be more tolerable if they just left it at Cassie doing something stupid instead of trying to justify it and have her say she did it on purpose for the betterment of the war. No she didn't. She did it to keep Jake from doing something that he really didn't need to do in the first place, and there were never just two choices to make. The ghostwriter was trying to make the classic sadistic choice, except ususally the hero chooses a third option, and the third option here was pretty glaring.

41? Yeah, it's pretty stupid. don't need that either.

If I could only pick one book, I'd choose 31. That's quite possibly the stupidest book in the entire series.

I don't know which one 34 was, and I can't check the ebooks to see which one it was like I always do.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:17:14 PM by Chad29 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
#31 has a stupid plot, but it has some great scenes between Jake and Marco, and a good one between Jake and Ax. The character exploration in that one totally saves the book for me. And the fact that it actually deals with the fallout of #30 a bit, which we really don't see again until #35.

But yeah, plot's idiotic.

Offline Alex Oiknine

• Gold Donor
  • I'm moving on, I'm moving on...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
I like the change to the poll reflecting #36 XD
http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
http://alexoiknine.com
http://aximili.dreamwidth.org

The One (Completed)
The Rescue (Completed)
The Rendezvous (In Progress)