Author Topic: Something odd  (Read 2487 times)

Offline wolfev

Something odd
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:20:01 PM »
Why in the capture does Jake kill a whole bunch of Yeerks in a hot tub without mercy, but then in book 21 say he isn't ok with killing defenseless Yeerks?
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Something odd
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
And then in book 54, when he dumps 17,000 yearks from the pool ship. Originally I'd say he changed and grew to think of Yeerks more like people, but then he dumps the Yeerks like that in 54.

So I have no answer. I guess Jake changed back and forth.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
Well, Jake felt "bad" when he killed about a few Yeerks in that Pool. There were only a few Yeerks there at the time, possibly for the governor and any other bodyguard with him. The Yeerk in his head pointed out that, Jake wasn't comfortable about that, but it was the only way to stop the governor-infestation plan.

In book 21 and book 54, he felt a lot of remorse because he just killed, KILLED, without any reason. In book 6, killing those Yeerks was necessary. In book 54, he hoped it would distract Visser One and let the auxiliaries and Rachel live. Which didn't happen. Those Yeerk lives just vanished for nothing. That's why he felt a lot of guilt.

Jake didn't want to do it from the start, in book 6, he just had to.
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:30:45 AM »
not really. in #6 the yeerks could've just replaced the yeerks in the pool like jake figured they would in #21...

Offline Raskipper

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:40:21 AM »
It had to do with how he was dealing with the war and how the group viewed the Yeerks.

#6:  He was still young, not very experienced, and suffered no ill effects from the war yet.  He was eliminating the enemy.  Nothing more.  In fact, if I remember right, he was pretty gleeful about "boiling some slugs."

#21:  The peace movement is underway.  Jake knows that there are some Yeerks out there that truly want a way out.  He's also deep in enemy territory, didn't want anyone to know that he had been there, and David was with him at the time.  I'm guessing he didn't want to leave evidence that they had been there, stacked on top of not wanting to look like a barbarian in front of the new guy as well.

#53:  Fatigued, exhausted, and resentful, he wanted to prove that he would do anything it took to win.  He was sick of war, sick of the responsibility and stress, and just wanted it over.  It was more of a desperation move than anything.

Hope that helps!

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:15:10 AM »
Yep.  Jake grew up.

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:24:37 AM »
All on his own. Aww, I'm so proud.

Each decision showed a different Jake, one that was maturing. He went from Naive, to remorseful and understanding, to complete war veteran.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »
It had to do with how he was dealing with the war and how the group viewed the Yeerks.

#6:  He was still young, not very experienced, and suffered no ill effects from the war yet.  He was eliminating the enemy.  Nothing more.  In fact, if I remember right, he was pretty gleeful about "boiling some slugs."

#21:  The peace movement is underway.  Jake knows that there are some Yeerks out there that truly want a way out.  He's also deep in enemy territory, didn't want anyone to know that he had been there, and David was with him at the time.  I'm guessing he didn't want to leave evidence that they had been there, stacked on top of not wanting to look like a barbarian in front of the new guy as well.

#53:  Fatigued, exhausted, and resentful, he wanted to prove that he would do anything it took to win.  He was sick of war, sick of the responsibility and stress, and just wanted it over.  It was more of a desperation move than anything.

Hope that helps!

Very well said.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »
Why in the capture does Jake kill a whole bunch of Yeerks in a hot tub without mercy, but then in book 21 say he isn't ok with killing defenseless Yeerks?

Cassie's story about Aftran got to him?

And then in book 54, when he dumps 17,000 yearks from the pool ship. Originally I'd say he changed and grew to think of Yeerks more like people, but then he dumps the Yeerks like that in 54.

Like the other user said, resentment and fatigue.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »
 Yeah, I think he understood the Yeerks better. I guess they had human traits after all? And he knew about the Peace Movement?
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »

Hope that helps!

I agree mostly.  He didn't really need to flush the Yeerks to win...I don't think he thought about it either way really.  He figured: "flush the yeerks, yes or no?", decided yes, and didn't really bother think about it.
Maybe I'm wrong but I would call it disregard.  Of course all the things Raskipper said probably had to do with it too...
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34:20 AM »

#53:  Fatigued, exhausted, and resentful, he wanted to prove that he would do anything it took to win.  He was sick of war, sick of the responsibility and stress, and just wanted it over.  It was more of a desperation move than anything...

...Each decision showed a different Jake, one that was maturing. He went from Naive, to remorseful and understanding, to complete war veteran.

I really like your Jake-descriptions as he ascended upon the series there! Totally agreed on Jake maturing and altering his choices. You can even tell this by the narration tones. The Jake from Book 1 is c-o-mp-l-e-t-e-l-y different from the Jake in the last few books. And no one can blame him!!!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:39:25 AM »
not that it matters, but when you were spelling completely, you forgot a hyphen between m and p.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
hahaa...you posted for that? lol
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 10:49:15 AM »
Yeah, I think he understood the Yeerks better. I guess they had human traits after all? And he knew about the Peace Movement?

I thought the Animorphs didn't find out about the Peace Movement until book 29. I mean, there was a minor mention when Cassie spoke with Aftran, but I'm not sure if that really stuck with all of them the way it did with Cassie.
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
But the idea of the peace movement started in the animorphs minds with 19, that was the first time they could say hey, not all the yeerks are evil, they are just "people" like us

I think in 6 jake didnt really see them as people, they were just slugs, like a little kid burning ants. He didn't do it for pleasure or anything, he did it for the mission because he ignorantly thought that was all they had to do, burn em and they cant get to the governor

Then he sees them as people and he doesnt want to burn them in 21, but more importantly, he had no reason to and doing it would actually hurt the mission. I still think he had progressed enough into the war to still be able to do it if he had to, despite his changed view of the slugs

Then 53, he just hated the yeerks, war had made him cold, he didnt care that they were just like humans anymore, so he flushed em