Author Topic: Earth Is Paradise For Aliens  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
Re: Earth Is Paradise For Aliens
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »
I personally never knew star trek so I couldn't care less no matter how much she ripped off of it.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Zero_Messiah

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
Not to mention, if the blue box was that powerful, the andalites would have been so strong that a partnership with earth would have been completely unfeasible. It's one thing to start a relationship based on love for food, but no andalite would trade away all the tech of any value to Earth just for food.

hell, it's even explicitly stated that the andalites refused to transfer weapons technology. Letting the humans defy physics and biology, and essentially making them as strong as they are would take away the only advantage the andalites had over them.

Most of the reason why humans are limited to earth is that we cannot survive off it. (unless it's Leera, or the Hork Bajir World/Taxxon World, which is apparently cool with human biology)

If we were capable of living life in another place, ANY place (due to your hypothetical rainbow assorted boxes) we'd become a far more deadlier force than the Yeerks, who even admit that we outnumber them greatly. Visser One (original) puts it succintly; if every human on earth fired one bullet at the yeerks, even if they missed 90% of the time, the yeerks would still lose. Andalites would be no different (unless they glassed the planet from space, which I'm pretty sure their civilized people would never stand for) since apparently, they advocate fighting a war without compromising your morals (which effectively makes the homeworld a huge collection of cassies).

But if all the andalites were refusing to trade was Shredder Technology, I'm pretty sure that's all they have (aside from large breakthroughs in science and technology).

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
lol I always found that amusing Andalites and human food ^^

If Andalites gave all their tech to us the universe would be a VERY unsafe place. I don't think it even need be weapons technology. If anything we humans have shown ourselves to be very very imaginative when it comes to technology. I'm sure even giving us (or assisting us in learning) z-space technology we'd be able to create a weapon from it even though the intention is for travel.

In too many ways I think we're not ready for interplanetary travel/colonisation. I would rather advocate technology or education that will help improve our own planet first before starting somewhere else and destroying that place. Of course if an asteroid that was about to destroy Earth then heads our way and we only have Earth as our home then I'd be pretty much blamed for wiping out mankind.
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline alaois

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
well, my point was basically that the andalites could have tech that solves this problem that the yeerks would have... I was using the many colored boxes because I was comparing it with the blue box tech, since it gives people some kind of power.  who knows what it'd really be.  it wouldn't make them invincible or anything, just make them capable of adapting to different environments and atmospheres.  it's no more unfeasible IMO than a universal translator for any language that develops anywhere in the universe...

I'm not suggesting that the andalites are giving away that tech, but it could be an essential part of their atmospheric systems on their spacecraft could give people that adapting power... ehh, either that, or all the planets we are talking about are somehow M-class...

the whole disease issue, I'd go with more of an explanation someone else said here that earth diseases weren't designed to attack these types of organisms and that is why they don't harm them.  ie the aliens are so different, that they're not in danger from diseases designed to attack earth creatures.

Offline Aquilai

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
The key point of diseases was that they mutate and extended stays in a foreign environment with no change in the immune system means a disease WILL get through and kill the alien in the foreign environment. It's only a matter of time unless you stay in a clean room forever. Also diseases (at least in a natural environment) aren't designed they just evolve like every other organism on Earth. A virus finds fresh meat it'll definitely try to grow there, if the new meat rejects and fights off the virus then a new virus will try to take it's place. Extended stays in foreign environments unless the species stays there and reproduces (then their offspring may have the better immunity) or their technology is good enough usually results in new diseases evolving.
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline alaois

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
assuming alien meat is like earth meat... assuming diseases are able to surive within an alien bloodstream long enough to even mutate.  who knows how alien physiology works?  what if andalite blood is somehow poisonous to any/all earth diseases... or what if they have an immune system that is highly advanced... say their equivalent of white blood cells have perfect accuracy in determining what is or is not a foreign object?  or maybe their health tech includes some form of nanobot white blood cells programmed to know everything that is in the body and can easily destroy anything that is not from that body.

andalites have been around much longer than humans, I imagine they could've evolved some type of near perfect immune system that doesn't just adapt to diseases it recognizes, but can perfectly distinguish what is or is not a foreign body...

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Until humans can learn to keep peace with each other I dont think their will be many ships traded, but they will help us to become less "backward" Quote from Ax: "No,no,no, thats not how gravity works at all!"
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Zero_Messiah

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
Evolution is based on the idea that a biological organism will adapt over time and through multiple generations to reach a state that is ideal for their survival.

Unless Andalites lived in a homeworld extremely similar to Earth, and encountered diseases that also exist on Earth, and eventually evolved to be resistant to such diseases, they would have no immunity to the disease, And If they did do all that, then andalites should also exist on Earth (not at the moment, but in the distant future?) And no, I don't mean exist as in Andalites from other worlds moving to Earth, but that a horse or donkey or so on will eventually mutate and evolve to become an andalite.

Which is pretty unlikely; completely different species here.

Diseases are apparent everywhere on Earth. An alien entity comes to earth, breathes earth air, lives in earth woods, eats earth grass, and drinks earth water, and has to contend with being bitten by earth parasites (fleas, mosquitoes, etc.) which are presumably carriers of earth bacteria.

Even if the andalite system may not be a ideal place for earth bound bacteria, bacteria mutate (ie. 'evolve', if you want) faster than animals, and Ax's immune system does not. It's a simple analogy of an infinite and never ending stream of water against a thick wall. The wall might hold at first, but it's going to erode over time, and unlike bacteria, it doesn't 'renew itself'. Meanwhile, the water will keep eroding the wall, and to hasten the speed, the water will gain in acidity over time.

Essentially, at one point you'll be spraying hydrochloric acide over the wall, and the moment you get a hole, however small, the immune system is screwed.

while Andalites may have lived far longer than humans (may, because we don't actually know the origins of andalites and when it was) your immune system does not evolve to block 'all' disease/viruses. It evolves to be resistant against the viruses or illnesses that it constantly faces. You cannot 'evolve' to be resistant against something you have never encountered. And it would be pretty much impossible for the viruses on earth to exist elsewhere, because viruses are essentially microanimals; they only exist in a certain way on a certain planet, because they've evolved to be on that planet, which is why you won't find tigers on Venus, bears on Mars and other such things. Fauna are often planet exclusive, and diseases and illnesses are no different.

Offline alaois

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »
yeah our immune system doesn't work that way.  but we don't know how the andalite immune system works... they could be so differently designed that earth diseases are simply unable to affect them.  you're assuming that andalites have a similar type of immune system that must adapt to diseases as it encounters them; what if they never had anything like that, but instead had an immune system that basically "knows" every inch of the body so well, that anything foreign is immediately killed off by the immune system.

alien immune systems don't have to work the way our immune systems work.  the whole tria gland thing is proof of that.

Offline Aquilai

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »
No offence but by that argument the entire topic can be resolved by saying: Aliens find Earth tolerable because they just don't have to work the way we expect alien bodies to work in a foreign environment.

Tbh, the last few posts have just been repeating EXACTLY the same things really. Excuse my lack of patience with circular repetition.

Until the time when good reasoning or a fresh point of view arrives!

Offline alaois

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
No offence but by that argument the entire topic can be resolved by saying: Aliens find Earth tolerable because they just don't have to work the way we expect alien bodies to work in a foreign environment.
well... yeah, that's the jist of it.  good enough eplanation for me.  if the alien immune system isn't reactive like ours, then it could very easily fend off any earth diseases and their mutations would be futile.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
yeah our immune system doesn't work that way.  but we don't know how the andalite immune system works... they could be so differently designed that earth diseases are simply unable to affect them.  you're assuming that andalites have a similar type of immune system that must adapt to diseases as it encounters them; what if they never had anything like that, but instead had an immune system that basically "knows" every inch of the body so well, that anything foreign is immediately killed off by the immune system.

alien immune systems don't have to work the way our immune systems work.  the whole tria gland thing is proof of that.

if that were the case it would instantly destroy any morph they aquired.  rachel being allergic to the crocodile morph, and ax being able to explain it in such terms means that their immune system is at least vaguely similar to ours.

Offline alaois

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
good point.  but of course one might just say the morphing tech would be designed to work with andalite immune systems.

but yeah, that does make this explanation much more of a stretch.  ah well, no one ever said KA was good at a consistent universe, just an awesome one.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
The awesomeness made up for every single plot error and scientific overlook.