Author Topic: Earth Is Paradise For Aliens  (Read 3167 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Earth Is Paradise For Aliens
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
Wasn't it mutated? I'd need to reread anyway...
Think it was just trained to track morphing energy and feed on the ship's.

But as for other stuff, that is a good point, the Yeerks, their host, and the andalites where military-and presumably pretty advanced: they should have the ability and the wit to scout out a place they head out to and stir up a few inoculations. How many military campgins have been ruined on earth by disease? hopefully the mighty aliens figured that out

And-personal opinion-I like to think every now and then that at least some of V3 morphs came from a skrit na zoo. Now how those things manage to keep so many species from all over.... :)
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »
And-personal opinion-I like to think every now and then that at least some of V3 morphs came from a skrit na zoo. Now how those things manage to keep so many species from all over.... :)

lol personally I would go travelling/exploring more just to get as many morphs as possible. There are whole chunks of his life before he had the Earth mission. I can imagine when he's stationed on a new planet, sending Hork-Bajir controllers hunting for powerful morphs to bring him just to acquire. He doesn't seem like the self-risking type!
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline Zero_Messiah

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
They would have to have a lot of inoculations. They would need to discover one that would cure Hork Bajir, another that would cure Taxxons, one for their own yeerk bodies, one for the Gedds, one for any Leerans nearby, and one for Visser Three himself. There is no such thing as a cure-all for the same disease since, each disease affects each species differently. Hork Bajir may have been more susceptible to certain diseases than a taxxon, or the taxxons could be affected by a taxxon only virus that doesn't cross contaminate. Considering the vast number of Yeerk manpower, it's a bit unlikely that the Yeerks medically screens their troops.

This would be because they only infest healthy host bodies, but this just filters out genetical disease; there are many acquired illnesses one can get in a lifetime, and Hork Bajir... like Andalites... have no immunity built up to survive earth based disease. Once the virus mutates, the Hork Bajir controllers could be further wiped out by plague.

The Yeerks may have advanced medicine, but we've seen that not every controller gets the same treatment; higher ranks obtain better treatment and better priveleges. Also, I'm pretty sure that medicine requires materials, and the yeerks don't have free health care. If there was a sudden plague, or disease that spread throughout the cotrollers, the Yeerks are probably not going to start inoculating everyone (assumign they find a cure) They would shave off a large part of non consequential controllers, and save those that they could (or need).

And seriously, the invasion would be pretty hammered, if the Yeerks had to spend probably months just to get every controller a dose.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
How do you give an injecting to a taxon if it buurst if you poke it with a sharp fingernail.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
How do you give an injecting to a taxon if it buurst if you poke it with a sharp fingernail.

That reminds me, unsuitable environments have been shown to have severe effects in a couple of situations.  Taxxons become like wet paper in an aquatic environment.  And when they went to the arctic, Ax almost froze to death in just a few minutes.  Not to mention the whole, "yeerks could never survive on any planet but their homeworld without artificial kendronas," thing.

Offline alaois

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
Andalites are known to have technology that gives an organism "powers" of some sort just by touching a device.

imagine if you will, that before the morphing technology was invented, and before Seerow met the Yeerks, a similar type of device existed in andalite technology.  the "green box", if you will, just to give it a name and an image.  touch your hand to this green box, and you get "adaptation power" where your body automatically adjusts to any planet's atmosphere and gravity.  hopefully there's no veleek type creature that feeds off of adaptation energy on the planet you go to, or you'll have to be careful.

Seerow's kindness ends up transferring this tech to the yeerks.

ta da!

it's possible that the green box, or maybe even, dare I suggest, a purple box, could give you super immune power.  But I have a different theory for Ax and Visser 3 (and then I'd have to leave the Hork Bajir up to some crazy trick of the Arn)

I suggest the Andalite immune system is different than ours, but in some way superior.  The tria gland is super awesome, and it gathers diseases no matter what they are or what planet they're from... as has been noted, no one knows how the tria gland is even possible, so who's to say it's not just totally amazing.  but it gets overloaded, especially after handling so many new human diseases, and bursts on ax (let's assume it burst in Visser 3 at some point too... say when Alloran was caged, Visser 3 takes on a different host and uses the andalite knowledge he has from Alloran to perform surgery on his own host body)... basically, human diseases are going to put a strain on the tria gland, which was dealt with by ax and we can then assume it might've happened at some point with Alloran's body.

Offline Zero_Messiah

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »
Except that entire incident made no sense with the established rules of morphing.

For example, how can Ax have gotten sick while in human morph? His traia gland obviously isn't part of the human body, it should have been in Z-Space, yet Ax first manifests symptoms at a school dance.

Next example, why does demorphing/remorphing not remove the disease? From what we know, yamphut is a medical complication when the gland collects too much disease organisms. Said disease organisms are by no means genetic, and they should have left the body whenever Ax morphs/demorphs, since they don't originate from Ax in the first place. But Ax remains fevered despite demorphing to andalite. This seems to imply that the problem is genetical (since morphing heals injuries from DNA) rather than acquired (which yamphut is explicitly said to be)

Also, just to point out something, the traia gland never bursts. If it bursts, said andalite dies, since the disease organisms are released into the body, and more importantly, is directly behind the brain, indicating that it would be the first affected organ.

Also, if Ax had yamphut, what he was suffering would be due to the inflammation of his traia gland; the disease is by no means 'contagious'. This would be like suffering from appendicitis and subsequently making everyone else around you sick. For the four animorphs to get sick means that whatever affected them had mutated to affect humans... and hawks. This would be a super virus, and more importantly, it would have affected everyone else around the animorphs. Rachel's mom, her two sisters, Jake's entire family, Marco's dad. And they would spread it to everyone else they'd meet, and you'd get an epidemic.

More importantly, it is confusing because yamphut seems to affect only one person (Ax. You need a traia gland to suffer from it). Of course, there is a plausible explanation, in that Ax was suffering from yamphut, yamphut being a symptom. What Ax is actually suffering from (as well as the animorphs) is an unknown disease, however the only reason As would die from it is because said disease is being contained by his traia gland, which is being worked to death and is about to rupture as a result. The animorphs however, get sick since they don't have such a gland to do work for them.

It raises a lot more questions than it answer, though it would explain the reason why an inflammatory condition can affect 3 kids and a bird.

It still wouldn't answer how demorphing/remorphing doesn';t fix it (and because Ax promptly regrows his Traia gland the next time he morphs and demorphs). If the problem was really the traia gland and not some unknown disease, Ax doesn't actuall solve the problem, since the problem is with his traia gland (ie. genetic) and that eventually it's going to happen again. Since it never does however, it backs up the theory that it wasn't his traia gland that caused him, 3 kids and 1 bird to get sick. It was another disease, which

we are never told where Ax had gotten from. (maybe at the school dance? spiked punch?)

I'm not buying the green box theory, or the purple box theory (though there IS a pruple box, which was used to contain a certain visser) partially because it was never established, and is a little bit too convenient. ("The aliens have morphing technology; OF COURSE THEY HAVE ADAPTATION TECHNOLOGY")

Not to mention, Seerow's Kindness was explicitly giving the yeerks portable kandrona generators. That was it.

You could argue that Visser 3 never gets it because lo and behold, he's Visser 3 with a large amoun of resources. Even if he needs a special daikyu radish that is only grown once every two years to cure his traia gland problem, he'd get it.

The Hork Bajir being immune to disease of Earth is unlikely, considering how the Arn would have to be super knowledgeable on earth disease, and be able to cure an entire species working for them against it, implying they expect their hork bajir to someday reach a planet with this disease. Unless there were generations of inbreeding the seers, this wouldn't happen.

Arn #1: "Hey, Arn #2, should we inoculate them against disease from a planet called Earth roughly millions of light years away?"
Arn #2: "Sure, arn #1, wouldn't want our Hork bajir getting sick when they head to earth for a vacation." *playful punch*
Arn #1: "Oh, you." *laughs*
Arn #2: "I try, I try." *kisses Arn #1*
Arn #1: "..."
Arn #2: "... too soon?"

But in any case, my original purpose was just to point this out. Having done that, I shall let this topic rest.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »
from what i remember the disease in itslef was part of morphing. And since they didnt have the tri gland they only had colds.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline alaois

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »
ahhh yeah maybe I was going the wrong direction in the yamphut thing.  but my point is, you're assuming their immune system has to be like an earth immune system... maybe their immune system is so good it is able to handle unknown diseases.  or else there was a... say... orange box (since you're right, purple's already taken lol)

but the "green box" idea i totally stand by.  seerow's kindness results in the yeerks getting everything, because they stole it.  if such a green box existed, it'd def be on any ship, the yeerks would have it.  not established, but it's a good enough explanation to me: simply put, the Andalite's tech was advanced enough to make sure they could go on nearly any planet and be able to adapt to the atmosphere and gravity, and maybe even disease.  they have tech that alters organisms on such fundamental level (giving them the power to morph is pretty crazy), so it's totally feasible; and even feasible that it'd never come up... maybe instead of being a box, it's something that you automatically pass through in going on any andalite or yeerk ship, so the animorphs got treated w/out knowing it.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if someone brought the issue up w/ KA, and someone else offered this green box idea, she'd just blink and be like, "uh, yeah, what that person said."

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
     The idea of multiple boxes of various colours, with different functions, sort of cheapens the blue box...It was a unique piece of technology. To assume that the Andalites made things like it would be, to me, taking away some of the magic.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
I agree with mason on that one.

NateSean

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
     The idea of multiple boxes of various colours, with different functions, sort of cheapens the blue box...It was a unique piece of technology. To assume that the Andalites made things like it would be, to me, taking away some of the magic.

Plus it kinda steals from the whole Superman universe (various colored kryptonites) and Applegate was having enough trouble with the Star Trek comparrisons.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
yep that borg reference was a little too obvious

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »

Plus it kinda steals from the whole Superman universe (various colored kryptonites) and Applegate was having enough trouble with the Star Trek comparrisons.

Yup agree about cheapening the blue box. The kryptonite thing was the first thing to pop in my head. I didn't know about Applegate having problems with Star Trek (Borg) references. I mean the Borg Cube is a space ship whereas the morphing cube is powers of sizes smaller and gives morphing abilities rather than house cybernetic organisms.
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

NateSean

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:15 AM »

Yup agree about cheapening the blue box. The kryptonite thing was the first thing to pop in my head. I didn't know about Applegate having problems with Star Trek (Borg) references. I mean the Borg Cube is a space ship whereas the morphing cube is powers of sizes smaller and gives morphing abilities rather than house cybernetic organisms.

I'm going to assume the Borg comment (from BlazingAngel) was in reference to The One "assimilating" Ax and other species into a collective of sorts.

But the other references are pretty blatant.

Ellimist is compared to Q.
The Yeerks are similar to the parasite in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, etc.

And it wasn't that she was having trouble with them as such, but there were plenty of people, (My mother included) who caught on to them.