Author Topic: Do you skip the morphing paragraphs?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
Re: Do you skip the morphing paragraphs?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 03:33:18 PM »
a few people have already brought this up, but i LOVED some of the more 'extreme' morphing 'flubs' (if you can call them that)- imagery done well (cassie's angel wings or marco's dog-bone tail), or when someone (typically cassie) was morphing against the clock...

but i swear, after a while, the ghostwriters weren't even bothering to be creative with morphing paragraphs... they were using them like filler material- "my eyes moved around the sides of my head, my knees cracked as they switched direction, i felt the itch of fur spreading across my body, the ground came rushing up at me..." i mean, really. xD;; like cheap, 10-page filler. i think any one of us could write out our own morphing paragraphs with no problems. no research, even; that's how simple they were, imho.
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
Actually, that's a good point. Somewhere in the 30's, I stopped reading the morphing paragraphs and just started skimming for anything interesting. I don't actually recall any noteworthy morphs in the latter half of the series. I probably still would have read them if they were remotely interesting, but you're right, like the standard intro in every book, they just started to feel like cheap filler...

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Yeah, but cheap filler is sort of the standard for long sequential series written for children. It's as if the writers get really lazy.  :P

I read it partly because it gave me a sense of the progression of the series. And partially because I read everything, even the backs of cereal boxes. -___-;;

For some reason the information that people use to sell food products interests me. Makes no sense. XD

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
Actually, that's a good point. Somewhere in the 30's, I stopped reading the morphing paragraphs and just started skimming for anything interesting.
QFT.

D: but i don't remember rl stein stooping to repetitive anythings for goosebumps. ditto on the BSC (babysitters club), which was the other series i was reading at the time- more prone to potential reiteration than goosebumps, for which each book was largely unrelated to any of the others. and harry potter? a series of unfortunate events?

No Blasted Crappy Reruns. why did it have to be my beloved animorphs? *despair*

....if 2.0 comes out, you'd better believe i'm going to be upset if that happens again.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »
Good point. :) No reruns in the Babysitters Club? ....ugh, I hated that series. Not so much because it was bad but because it was utterly, hopelessly neurotypical. I always had this thing against books about "friendship" unless it was friendship happening in a very cool universe. ; )

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:24 AM »
hahah... xD i can't remember why i liked that series, but i sure as hell ate them up. i had, at one point, more than 70 books, a few necklaces, and a doll of one of the characters. O_____o but as to whether i'm bragging or looking for a lynching, i couldn't say.

i guess the BSC was missing out on dragons and alien invasions..... ^^

but yes, there was always a new way to approach teen and preteen drama in each book. ;) no reruns.

you know, to think of it, that's one thing the TV series did better than the book series. MORPHING time. tv  show? BAM. done. then back to the action- the stuff i was interested in.

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
i loved babysitters club! and they actually repeated how the club worked every time, i skipped that too :P  i have no patience for reading the same thing repeatedly. especially when i do my series re-read marathons when im trying to read at least 3 or 4 books a day
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
D: but i don't remember rl stein stooping to repetitive anythings for goosebumps. ditto on the BSC (babysitters club), which was the other series i was reading at the time- more prone to potential reiteration than goosebumps, for which each book was largely unrelated to any of the others. and harry potter? a series of unfortunate events?

BSC not being repetitive?? Didn't they have the same explanation of what had happened in every single book?

I only really read the Little Sister off-shoot. But I recall skipping every Chapter 2 because it was the same thing. Verbatim. At least the recaps in Animorphs differed book to book. :P

Anyway...

I don't really have a set pattern of skipping or not skipping. :P Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It seems to depend on my mood. XD

Offline Zeus974

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 03:33:32 AM »
If you're reading the book, you don't skim. no matter how many times you've read it before, it's the whole point of liking the animorphs to the point where you can't get enough of it. I can't wait for this supposed reboot of the animorphs

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure I skimmed the morphing parts after the first 10 books :P It just kind of 'slowed' the pace of the book for me, and while the detail was nice and everything, the aftermath of the morphing was almost always more fun to read.

I hope I didn't miss much by doing so..
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline ellie

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 04:34:42 AM »
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I dont neccesarily skip the morphing scenes but I do skim read them. I also skim read the first chapter and the fighting scenes that go along the lines of "tseew tseew" "I took another Hork Bajir down" "TSEEW TSEEW". . . . .it gets rather repeatative

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
(Didn't read the answers lol I'm lazy)
Yeah, I also do it sometimes now. When I first read them, I didn't. But when you re-read them, the morphing transformations are a little boring...
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
@steph and estrid:

D:

aww.... really? MAN. boo on BSC then!

okay, so i read the BSC when i was maybe 7-8. and not much past 10... i know it didn't follow me into my animorph's craze, and that started when i was 10-ish. don't blame me for not remembering! ~~>___<~~

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »
i loved the BSC. still read it some times too :P
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 03:37:44 PM »
Court, that's exactly when I read them. :P So... yeah, you don't really have that as an excuse. ;)