Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar  (Read 197718 times)

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Re: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
« Reply #3930 on: October 16, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »
Gene sighs impatiently. "He just...what?" he presses flatly, taking a drink.

He can't help glancing over at Dom and Al. "God, I told him to come over here, that thing could shoot him full of holes. He's impossible, that's what he is."

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #3931 on: October 18, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »
Al stepped back and stood up as the unconscious creature- or rather, its suit- sat up. It was definitely a little unnerving to see the apparently unconscious creature moving.

When the suit 'spoke' again, it had switched to a form of binary- apparently it had gathered that Al was an AI. Though his current body wasn't strictly 'digital,' Al had encountered plenty of binary programs in his time. The basis for this particular strain seemed to be the same language- or a similar one- to the one it had used a moment before.

"I think I might be able to translate, to some degree. I may not be a trained diplomat, but I've been told I have a good face, and I took a course called 'Intro to Language Basics' back in the day." Al turned and flashed Dom a winning smile, "And yeah, I'm also artificial and proud of it. I'm here, I've gears, get used to it!" He cracked his fingers, "Let's do this thing!"

Al looked intently at the closed eyes of the lizard-like creature, then reconsidered and dropped his gaze to the suit. He concentrated for a moment, trying to understand how to say what he wanted to say. He was sure it wouldn't exactly be high poetry, but he might get the point across- essentially, the suit had to talk more if Al was to learn its language to any degree.

You... talking more. Al's own unsteady binary seemed to emanate from his forehead, and his lack of vocabulary limited him to using mostly concepts the suit had already spoken of. I... update language... no grunting... so you... update...

After a moment, Al turned to Ossanlin again, "What are the odds it could interface with an Andalite translator chip, do you think?"

Salem savored the sense of Rathien's touch, then smirked at him when he pulled back. "Pleasure or pain... are those my only two options?" he asked coyly.

Without waiting for an answer, he pulled his communicator from his pocket- a cylindrical object somewhat reminiscent of an old Earth microphone, just long and round enough to comfortably fit into his fist. With a thought-speak command to his ship, the communicator was linked to the ship's communication systems. With another thought-speak command, he ordered the ship to send a message to the Yeerk Rebellion using their own encryption. The communication would be audio only for the time being, as Salem had forgotten to grab any sort of visual communication device in his rush to suit up with useful things in anticipation of being attacked by Rathien.

The hail to the Rebel base, he hoped, would simply appear to be coming from a random source- but considering most of the communications he'd monitored in order to be able to simulate the encoding had been made from the same ship, it seemed equally likely that it would look as though Corliss' Skimmer was making the call.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #3932 on: October 18, 2012, 03:41:27 AM »
~Ossanlin~

Ossanlin glances at Al before returning his main eyes to the suit/machine.  <Interface?  I suppose that depends upon many factors.  For example, it seems to be able to perceive my thought-speech, so it could feasibly interface with thought-speech technology.  As for physical interface, that would be much more complicated, but I have no more idea of what this is capable of than you do...>  His holo-display activates, nothing visible from the back but a faint, hazy light-blue illumination over his right eye.  The display pinpoints the suit's energy sources as well as mechanical servos and motors with dots visible only to Ossanlin's right eye.  It shows a graphical matter formula of the suit's primary metal-composition, and the ARC continues to scan.  Ossanlin notes the positions of the energy supplies as well those of the motor-systems as possible weak-points in case disabling the suit becomes necessary for any reason.  <...The new models of the translator chip are biotic...made of living tissue.  It would seem that a physical interface would be less-likely, but then it is a suit designed to interface with a biotic creature, so the ambiguity remains pronounced...>

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ __

~Rathien~

Rathien signals the BT who sighs, walks over, and silently sets a fresh glass of miruvin on the table before ambling back behind the bar.  Rathien smirks and takes a deep swig, allowing the bracing liquor to warm and relax his body as if it were the finest elixir.  He glances around the bar, his eyes returning to Salem every once in a while.  How strange the whole situation had become...he finds that his usually-strong negative feelings toward Salem have somehow lessened.  He shakes his head, taking another swig of his drink to relax him.  The situation...sometim es the loss of control struck suddenly, Rathien could handle that, but other  times it sneaked up so slowly that one didn't even realize he'd lost any control at all.  Such situations were insidious and murky at best...this situation was most-certainly one of the latter.  Was he losing control?  He shakes his head again still perusing the bar while the thoughts run through his mind, punctuated by unsummoned memories of Salem's nudity and the unbidden carnal fantasies that would quickly have Rathien itching with anticipation if he stopped consciously controlling his reactions with an iron grip.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:48:25 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Auxen

« Reply #3933 on: October 18, 2012, 04:06:30 AM »
The suit is able to barely grasp what the soft machine seemed to be struggling to say. Apparently it required more binary communication before the could fully understand each other.

The suit also listens to the psionic with its' queries about interfacing with some form of biotic translator implant it possessed, a concept that was far in advance of anything the suit had heard of. The suit also remains unaware of the ARC scan taking place, the technology being beyond anything it can detect. It's because of this fact that it is unable to conceal that the suit is powered by a micro-fission reactor with a twenty-meter blast radius upon detonation and self-destruction. Nor is it able to hide the fact that, while the suit itself, along with all components, is constructed of a simple titanium-tungsten alloy, the suit itself is coated in aggregated diamond nanorods, designed asa means of assisting in the deflection and absorption on energy based weaponry. While not 100% effective, it does offer more protection than most armours.

The suit decides to address the psionic first, I wouldn't advise... interfacing with me. My wireless capabilities do not extend to... bio-organic technologies. Yes, I could still inerface with you and update myself based on your implants and knowledge, but I have a feeling that I am not familiar with your brain and how it works. I am familiar with my Wearer's brain and look at what happened  when I rebooted using his brain. The suit shook itself slightly, indicating it's unconscious passenger.

The suit switched back to binary and addressed the soft machine once more, Look, all I really need here is some wireless form of communication. Radio, Redtooth, anything. And as long as I'm trying to update here and allow you to understand me a bit better, just what are you? Why are you so... soft and unprotected if you're an AI? Is this more bio-tech?

Inside the suit, the Wearers started to stir.

Well, that's unusual. No, wait, wrong word. Impossible. Well that's impossible.

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #3934 on: October 18, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
~Ossanlin~

<I was most-certainly not suggesting such an attempted interface.  I would not allow anyone to read my thoughts or memories, let alone an unknown device of which I have been aware for approximately twelve point seven standard minutes.>  Ossanlin doesn't allow his surprise to show when his ARC displays the graphical formula for hyper-compressed carbon enmeshing the suit in some sort of molecular weave.  A somewhat crude but effective technique.  Matriced neutronium would demonstrate much better results...of course that would be a tad heavier...not to mention a teensy bit harder to come by.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #3935 on: October 18, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
'Sounds like a plan.' Austin said smiling 'As for how big it needs to be, it'll need to be big enough to hold everything, but not so big that it's unwieldy, ya know what I mean? Have you got anything to sketch up a rough design? I have an idea'
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:17:54 PM by Hunter »

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3936 on: October 18, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
Simon brought up several designs and sizes on a computer screen, from a pistol to a rifle. Some thick, some narrow, some with longer barrels, and some with bigger handles. It looked like a virtual gun display case. "We have some good options. Depending on how we fix it, we may be able to try different kinds before we permanently attach it to the outer gun casing."

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3937 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:09 PM »
"He makes me uncomfortable, okay?" Terenia snaps, glancing over to where Dom is standing. "I'm sorry. Invite him over if you want. Just...don't let him do that kissing thing he does. It's weird." She frowns down at her glass, feeling strangely guilty for her irritation.

"How intriguing," Dom says, looking at Al with renewed interest. "You will have to tell me all about it...ah...perhaps when you are not otherwise occupied." He tips an imaginary hat in his direction. "Come and retrieve me once you are done with this...rather disturbing...indivi dual. I look forward to it." He gives Al a bright grin before backing away, towards Gene.

<<A bit quicker next time,>> the Yeerk murmurs. <<I'd prefer to keep us alive.>>

<<Hush, Reyliss. I have no intention of dying. Do not be foolish.>>

He makes his way over to the booth Terenia and Gene are sharing, pulling a chair over. "Well. That was exciting. So, how are all of you?" He grins at them cheerfully, as if nothing is amiss.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #3938 on: October 20, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
"I'll try and make sure the only one he kisses here is me," Gene murmurs, looking up as the man in question arrives at their booth. "No promises."

He rolls his eyes at Dom and drags the man's hand across the table with both of his own, as if that might pin Dom to the spot.

"Mister Ticak, when I say to run away from spontaneous armored lizard men, you'd better damn well listen to me," he chastises quietly. "This place is too weird and too dangerous for you to try and make friends with everyone and everything that makes an appearance."

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #3939 on: October 23, 2012, 03:21:04 AM »
Al laughed when the suit called him 'soft and unprotected.' No biotech, he responded in what he could of the machine's binary language. He allowed his hologram to dim around himself, revealing the robotic chassis within, which could almost be described as a dog (or dog-like creature) walking upright, except for the fact that it seemed to be made entirely of gleaming metal and white plastic. Trick of seeing, he said. After a few seconds, he brought his hologram back to full strength.

Al shook his head, "I'm not sure this thing's even capable of picking up my 'wireless' forms of communication," he said in Gallard, as much to himself as Ossanlin. "Even if it was, I doubt our technologies would be compatible. No telling what my language files would be interpreted as, even if we could find a way to transfer them to it." He frowned, then turned towards Salem and Rathien.

"Hey, Salem," he called, "throw me your thingy!"

Salem had been drumming his fingers on the table as he waited for some sort of response from the rebel base, avoiding looking directly at Rathien. Al's call seemed to startle him. "What thingy?" he asked, seemingly annoyed.

"Your little interface-doodle. The tech-bridger thingy."

Salem opened his mouth to reply, closed it again, shrugged, and reached into his pocket. When he pulled it out, he was holding a small, silver device somewhat reminiscent of a cell phone. He tossed it through the air heedlessly, and Al caught it in one outstretched hand.

As Al punched keys on the device, he said in binary, Tell me when it speaks to you. A moment later, the little device began cycling through forms of wireless communication- much of it radio- and potential base technological encoding styles, attempting to connect with the suit.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:29:04 AM by Lumy the Kit »

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Auxen

« Reply #3940 on: October 23, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
The suit regarded the psionics' response with little surprise. From what it knew of its' Wearer, the suit didn't doubt that, given the choice, the Wearer wouldn't of allowed it to reboot itself in the manner it had. It then regarded the soft machine as it revealed its' true, lupine appearance.

Ah, some sort of trick of light, then. That would come in handy for disguising any weak points, The suit commented, marveling at technology far beyond what it was familiar with, And your... alloy certainly looks unique.

The now-lupine-machine restored its' trickery and called across to another, slightly taller, soft creature, possibly a companion machine, and caught the small device that was subsequently thrown to him. At the lupine machines' instruction, the suit listened to the emanations of the device until it understood the signal with clarity. The device seemed to be cycling down in transmissions, using signals almost inaudible to the suit, becoming progressively more primitive as it went, until it came upon what seemed to be a Redtooth signal that the suit could understand with clarity, the redtooth signal itself being the most advanced signal the suit understood.

That one. The suit pointed out, That one is perfect. I would recommend a full update of my systems using that signal if I am to proceed. And I would recommend we hurry. My Wearer is regaining consciousness and will need a translator, although I believe I may be responsible for his premature revival.

The suit considered for a moment. I must also ask, my classification of you is constantly changing. First you were 'soft pink thing', then 'soft machine' and now you are a 'lupine machine'. What model are you? Do you have an individual designation?

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3941 on: October 24, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
"Oh, Gene," Dom says, stooping and kissing the man's cheek. "You worry far too much, my friend. It is cute." He grins, reaching over and grabbing a chair that he pulls up to the end of the booth. "Besides," he adds dismissively, "I find spontaneous armored lizard men interesting."

For her part, Terenia just eyes Dom suspiciously, burying her scowl in her glass.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #3942 on: October 24, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
"Even when they shoot up the bar with ice weapons and scream bloody murder?" Gene asks casually, stopping himself, blinking. "****, this place really is a mind ****, isn't it?"

Across the room, Salem's communications device chirps with a heavily encrypted audio response.

"Corliss?" comes a young female voice, sounding confused. "Amber here. Is everything okay? I'm having a hard time triangulating your signal."

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:07:57 PM by Myitt »

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #3943 on: October 25, 2012, 05:26:39 AM »
Looking over the designs that showed up on the computer screen, Austin was looking through the rifle designs when one caught his eye. It was a rather blocky-looking rifle, with plenty of space for the components and it also had a small scope on the top. 'This one looks alright.' he said as he enlarged the rotating 3D model of it.

((This is the one he's found: G11))

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3944 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:34 PM »
"Ok, you put together the wiring and such for the crystal, and I'll put together the outer casing for the gun. I'll make it so it opens up for you to put your section in and hook up. Once we're completely satisfied, I'll weld it all together permanently." Simon began constructing the gun out of light, but durable parts. Lining up the scope with the sights. Finding a handle that was easy to grip. Making other adjustments as needed.

Ani-Master 2014!