Author Topic: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel  (Read 34711 times)

Offline rossabo

• For great justice!
Re: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2008, 01:43:49 AM »
Those look really good! How long did it take you to complete? Also, sorry for not researching this topic more (it's 14 pages long, and I'm supposed to be doing homework now), but would this be a webcomic format? How many pages would you expect to produce a week? What's the general consensus on the amount of books to be adapted?

And thanks for the welcome! I'm actually not really new, though. I had some more posts before the forum underwent a change, and recently I've been very busy and only check the forum from time to time.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2008, 07:07:28 AM »
This page is really great, Gafrash ^^
I'd also like to know how much time you need to make a page like that...
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
Hey guys, I took three days (Then I had to leave my Hork-Bajir host and feed…. :D...) to render the coloured pic. And it took me all this afternoon doing this b/w one.
Quite frustrating, but you learn as you go. I end up with all these layers! Nghaaaarrrrrgh!!!

rossabo, the idea of a webcomic sounds kewl! Though I’ve never really read any comic online. We haven’t thought as far as the final format. Basically there’s been a lot of talk and little materialization :-[. No outlines of Books per si, yet. But I’ve thought of breaking down the first 5 books into 2 parts each. Possibly 3 for Book 1. But nothing concrete. Basically, scripting is not my thing.
I, too, am student, dude, and the only reason I am able to do these things now is b/c I my Semester’s finished. I will be gone for the XMAS holis.

PS: The Forum underwent change?! :o Then I must be from after that time, b/c it’s news to me. :-[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:40:48 AM by Gafrash »

Offline rossabo

• For great justice!
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
Hey guys, I took three days (Then I had to leave my Hork-Bajir host and feed…. :D...) to render the coloured pic. And it took me all this afternoon doing this b/w one.
Quite frustrating, but you learn as you go. I end up with all these layers! Nghaaaarrrrrgh!!!

rossabo, the idea of a webcomic sounds kewl! Though I’ve never really read any comic online. We haven’t thought as far as the final format. Basically there’s been a lot of talk and little materialization :-[. No outlines of Books per si, yet. But I’ve thought of breaking down the first 5 books into 2 parts each. Possibly 3 for Book 1. But nothing concrete.

The reason why I personally think that a webcomic would be better than a finalized graphic novel is that it would keep things moving at a steady pace. I would imagine that a weekly formula would keep everybody motivated to update the comics and script. I can just see how a big project like a graphic novel could be easily delayed and put off for a while. Plus, I think that it would be rewarding to get constant feedback, and to watch the amount of subscribers grow.

From what I understand of most webcomics and comics in general, the script is finished before the comic starts. I guess some people who write more abstract comics can just write the story as they go along, but with something prewritten and very specific like Animorphs, having an entire script to reference would keep all events organized.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:25 PM »
A webcomic would be awesome. There's tons out there, but one that follows a format similar to what this would probably end up being (continuing storyline, etc.) would be megatokyo.

I think that maybe once a story was finished (like book 1) you could start publishing it online, like a new strip each week or three times a week or whatever. That way you could draw a larger crowd, and get lots of fun feedback. :)

ALSO, as far as color vs. B&W goes, I think that for time and sanity purposes it may make more sense to have it B&W and only throw color in when relevant (kind of a Quentin Tarantino thing, I guess). Also, covers could be in color. But if we're aiming to actually finish this, then taking time to apply color to each strip could take forever. Besides, I think the B&W render you posted was awesome, Gafrash.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:44:40 PM by Teach »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »

Excuse-me, but... you draw with an Hork-Bajir body?!! Why don't you ask a Human body to your Visser? Truth me, it's really better, and maybe you'd need only 2 days...
Anyway, it's quite long... How many hours by day?
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »
I kind of like the web-comic idea. And three days would hopefully give everyone enough time to draw/color/edit/ect.
...Then again, maybe it should be a bi-weekly or a weekly comic update...But still, I like the web-comic idea. Plus, it'd give a bit more accessibility to even non-Ani fans who might think it's just a web comic, and boy wouldn't they be surprised.
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »
You guys could release it on the net as a weekly comic thing initially, but then once a book is finished being posted online, also release the full book (Not as a strip but as an actual full book) as a downloadible file in .cbr format or something.

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »

Hey guys, here's the latest in my deviations. An attempt at rendering the skin on the Animorphs.
There's quite a bit for me to learn about colouring. REALLY need some colourist aid.

That is impressive! :o

Your new page looks great also. Keep up the excellent work!

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2008, 11:08:17 AM »
that's great. Rachel's hair needsto be more yellowish though. I like how with this, unlike the book covers, I can actually tell Cassie's a girl LOL ;D
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2008, 11:18:27 AM »
uh, Gafrash, what's ur photobuket and deviantart profile? can u give me a link or sumthin?
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
Thanks, you lot!

Excuse-me, but... you draw with an Hork-Bajir body?!! Why don't you ask a Human body to your Visser? Truth me, it's really better, and maybe you'd need only 2 days...
Anyway, it's quite long... How many hours by day?
Hehehe! I go on and off. Maybe 6 hours in total???
If I stay in front of a computer too long, I lose motor control over this stupid Hork-Bajir... And need to go tree picking to keep him content, you see.

You guys could release it on the net as a weekly comic thing initially, but then once a book is finished being posted online, also release the full book (Not as a strip but as an actual full book) as a downloadible file in .cbr format or something.
This is more what I had in mind, actually. Though a webcomic sounds great!

that's great. Rachel's hair needsto be more yellowish though. I like how with this, unlike the book covers, I can actually tell Cassie's a girl LOL ;D
You think so?! Her hair def needs to have gold-like attributes. And I always thought it was some of the short-hair-style that made the Cassie-model look boyish, but I never thought she was a boy!!!! Heheheh!
I got a lot of work to manage their skin tones!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
Since no one has written us any dialogues, I thought I would post what I came up with. Just throwing it out there.

RACHEL: “There they go.”
CASSIE: “I know, Rachel.”
RACHEL: “And I know my cousin. And I know you, Cassie.”
---------------------
RACHEL: “There’s definitely something along the lines of Chemistry between you too. You seriously have got to make a move, Cassie.”
CASSIE: “Owww, Rachel…”
---------------------
CASSIE: “Even if we were to go out, how will I find time for us to do anything?! I got my hands full with school and helping out my parents.”
---------------------
RACHEL: “Jeez! At this rate, we are going to graduate and grow bold and you two won’t even touch lips. ”
CASSIE: “You think so? I am sure Jake and I will live”
----------------------
RACHEL: “Oh, no no no! We can do so much better. Let’s hit The Mall. A Mall Mission might be just what you need.”
CASSIE: “Good let’s get a step closer to being in debt. I am broke, remember?!”

RACHEL:  “Who said anything about spending?! There’s a Games Arcade I know they hit."
CASSIE: “Oh!" "Well, then, can we just scrap that Mall Mission with some spending then?!”

___________________ ___________________ __________

Notes: Obviously I can't create jokes that are fittingly to the two. The last two panels also need to be more succinct. This is why I can't write for crap. I could imagine a dialogue when I drew it, but I can't come up with the correct words. Nghaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!!!!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:23:55 PM by Gafrash »

Offline wolfev

« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »
Thats pretty good. How about this?
Could you make a change or two to the visuals
Frame 1: maybe make Jake a little down as well and Rachel slightly less perky. Remember, this was the day that Jake didn't make the basketball team. We can say that Marco probably failed some test too and that they went to the arcade to blow off steam.
Rachel: Rachel:Hey their boys. So Jake, whats bumming you? Its no secret Marco knows nothing about Shakespear, but Jake normally you... (They walk by not caring)

Frame 2: Rachel: I don't get why you don't make a move on Jake? I mean he's my cousin, I won't be jealous.

Frame 3: Cassie: One step at a time Rache. Besides, if your so eager to micromanage a relationship, why don't you go for Marco.

Frame 4: Cassie: (Heart) Its a mach made in heaven. (Heart)

Frame 5: Rachel: More like hell if you ask me. I'm not letting you pass this one up. Now's your chance. Lets hit the mall, I give you million:1 odds that they'll be at the arcade.

Or something like that. Also food for thought. Generally they all kinda look older than they are suppose to be. Since this is an adaptation, how about making Tobias slightly younger, ie the age he was suppose to be normally in the books 13ish and just age the other animorphs up? It plays more to his character design and adds a new dynamic to his original relationship with Rachel.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
I like a combination of the above two scripts. I like the beginning of Gafrash's and the end of wolfev's. Maybe we could combine them somehow?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013