Author Topic: Please help me remember what the cats looked like!  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
Please help me remember what the cats looked like!
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:48:29 AM »
I'd like to definitively know what Fluffer McKitty and Dude looked like, while ignoring any book covers or illustrations.

What color/type is Tobias' cat, Dude? Was he a greyish Tabby, or black and white Calico? (reference: book 1) (Depictions: inside cover of #13, where David Mattingly used his cat Orson, who is white and grey.) (David B. M. has since gotten other cats like Henry, as you can see on his YouTube page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgCxA-9cHeQ)

Same goes for Melissa's cat, Fluffer McKitty. Was he a greyish Tabby, or a black and white Calico cat? (reference: book 2) (Depictions: Tim O'Brien's drawing on the cover of the original edition of The Visitor, where he is a grey Tabby, and the new edition of The Visitor (currently unknown artist), where he is a black and white Calico.)

I'd really like to know what the book text says about their appearance, because I do not currently have any of the first four books. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Please help me remember what the cats looked like!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »
Dude is described in the text as a grey tabby, and Fluffer McKitty is black and white.  It's kind of funny because it's the inverse of what is shown on the cover of #2 and inside cover of #13.

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:58 AM »
Dude is described in the text as a grey tabby, and Fluffer McKitty is black and white.  It's kind of funny because it's the inverse of what is shown on the cover of #2 and inside cover of #13.

Artists are not great at canon.

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:39:33 AM »

Artists are not great at canon.
But just think how easy it would have been to draw the right cat! Anyway, thank you, DinosaurNothlit. Now I can go update the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_Animorphs_characters article. :)

Post Merged: March 17, 2011, 01:40:43 AM
OH SHOOT! I should have posted this in the "ask questions with ONE possible answer" thread. I'm sorry!  :( :-[

Post Merged: March 17, 2011, 01:57:44 AM

They got the color(s) of Fluffer McKitty right for the re-release of The Visitor: Black and White!
Say, that reminds me of a game...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:57:44 AM by Dogman15 »

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
Just thought I'd let you know, I looked at the Wiki, and it looks like you're using the term "calico" wrong.  Calico is used to refer to a cat with three colors, not two.  Fun fact: male cats are almost never calico (as in, one in several million calico cats is male).

Also, I double-checked with the books to make sure I got the descriptions right, and technically dude is "black and gray striped."  Not sure if that makes a difference, since he's still a gray tabby, but that means he's a dark gray tabby as opposed to perhaps a "gray and white striped" cat, which also exist.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:04:19 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
Thank you, DN!