Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 226691 times)

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #2340 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »
I'm out of town tonight through Sunday morning, so I won't be able to post during that time.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2341 on: May 27, 2011, 02:38:28 PM »
I don't know if I'll have internet access this weekend either, or just be too busy visiting with family to get on the computer.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone, by the way.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline pyrebird

• Please, pet the Anthony!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2342 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
By the way, Van's accent is so (intentionally?!) strange, that I won't always spell it out in text. It would get a little hard to read. For what it's worth, he pronounces his name with a short "a" sound, like a "van", the vehicle. Which makes his utter destruction of other words all the more hilarious. "New pants", by the way, is "nyu-pahnts".

It is a little annoying, slightly grating, and a somewhat hard-to-understand kind of accent. He softens it considerably around women and people he knows and likes. Heck, he actually pronounces more words properly when in that situation.

He pretty much drops the entire accent occasionally, which makes the usual strength of his accent really mind-boggling. And he ramps it up to annoy people.

I might capitalize on this bizarre habit when he finally meets Mar. You guys can probably expect a lot of difficult-to-understand mispronunciations of words spelled out, and a lot of teasing Mar once he realizes this isn't the Mar he knows. Ha... hahahahah. Yes.

Oh! Van's never heard this Mar's particular accent before, either! Insanity and shenanigans shall ensue?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:34:07 PM by pyrebird »
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2343 on: May 27, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
For anyone to the Bar who doesn't know/actually cares: this Mar speaks in a peculiar German accent. This is probably because he's spent entirely too much time in the country for one reason or another, and because his current set of memories corresponds. It's only the wonder of Bar magic and Mar's Voice that anyone has any idea what he's saying half the time. XDD

Now obviously, the Mar Van knows doesn't have this accent. That Mar spends most of his time on Earth, and happens to be a native out-system Beryllian. Let the accent war commence. XD

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2344 on: May 27, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »
I blame people's crazy-good language translators. Van himself can be pretty hard to understand. I think the Bar itself also filters languages, but Van's accent can stick from the looks of it. And he'll notice "Mahr" all right, that he will~
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #2345 on: May 27, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
Gee, I guess my Universal Translator really does come one handy! :D
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2346 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
I think the Bar itself also filters languages

Actually, I don't think it does. There's been a conscious switch between Galard and Yeerkish in the bar before - something that would be moot if that were the case.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2347 on: May 27, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
Van has switched back to his native tongue, so yeah. It probably doesn't filter language, which is good. You have no idea what sort of nefarious plots Shen and I are... Well, plotting!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2348 on: May 27, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
*Purrs~ "Oh cahm now. Theyre's nahzing more fahn zhan tahking in a vheird aczent. Besydes, I zink Elayne likes it. Maykes me zound dignified."

X3 He's been doing that since he was first invented, but it doesn't get any less fun. And yeah, it seems like the Bar makes all languages understandable to everybody but for some reason doesn't translate language switches. Makes no sense, at all. XD
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:54:19 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2349 on: May 27, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »
 :bestpost:
+1

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2350 on: May 28, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
Van's pitch drifts up, "Yeanh?"

He pokes Mar, "Aand waht makes youn the vig kees Mar-zhen? Vumpire vase suits vadly, ri chaa."
("And what makes you the Big Cheese Mar (moron)? [That] Vampire voice suits [you] badly".) "Ri chaa" simply means he's referring to "you", through the word "ri".

And he says it all in a rather nasal sing-songy accent to boot! This is why I just write as if he speaks perfect English. He raises his pitch at the end of sentences, especially for "chaa", it's rather unique to that specific dialect of his language. "Chaa" itself is unique to his dialect as well.

He tries to be a little annoying... It's... weird. Sometimes, he annoys even me!

EDIT: I might not stick with the idea of trying to write out his accent with Mar, but in the very least, this is pretty much what it looks like. The sound? I think the only person who'll ever hear it is... Me. In my imagination. *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:11:44 AM by pyrebird »

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2351 on: May 28, 2011, 12:41:16 AM »
Well, you cOuld tell Shenmue when you hang out next time.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #2352 on: May 28, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »
so yeah... I'm having Jasper-and-Sapttus dialogue 'cuz I'm not sure what to have them do. :P Don't worry, something will come to me. Like Sapttus, I have no clue what they're gonna do on the asteroid. He hadn't thought that far ahead, so... here I am.

anyways... Marie, is Illim in the same host that Jasper met him in before? And I'll have to look back to see if they swapped names or not..

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2353 on: May 28, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »
I think at one point Temrash only spoke Galard, but now he's likely met people that don't speak Galard and still understands him. If he has ever been to Earth, he certainly hasn't been there long enough to learn English or any other Human language.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #2354 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »
Corliss may or may not be speaking English at any given time, but I still usually write in his northwestern British accent... ;D

I think the only thing the bar translates is whatever it wants to translate, like for example the "cash or tab" thing is written in a language that allows the viewer to be able to pay. 

Otherwise, yeah...sometimes the place can get unintelligible :)

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash