Author Topic: How many times "insane" is said in the series  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
How many times "insane" is said in the series
« on: September 21, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »
Quote from: u/soulraider-116
Now I want to know how often "insane" was used...

Hey there! I'm back with Exhibit B: quaf really has no life

Notes:
The data was collected from the unofficial Animorphs ebooks, and includes insane and its variants i.e. insanely and insanity
There were some instances where other characters narrated that Marco said "insane" at a different time, if this was a clear quotation I gave that to Marco if not I just added it to the narrators count
To interact with the charts go into the spreadhsheet (they are just images in this post)

EDIT: I realised that from books 33-54 I searched the ebooks for "insane" rather than "insan" so "insanity" wouldn't of been counted for those. Oh well.

Here is a doc with all the quotes
Here is a spreadsheet with the data for your viewing pleasure

Graph time!

Book 16 had the highest word count with 12
There's definitly a decrease as the series goes on, probably the absurdity of alien invasion becoming normalised.

Marco (gee what a surprise) took the lead with a whopping 91 mentions of the word, either in dialogue or narration. He really needs to expand his vocabulary.

It is also interesting to note a lot of it is internalised. Something something psychology of war.

INSANE I TELL YOU! INSANE!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:09:21 PM by Quaf »
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: How many times "insane" is said in the series
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
Great work, I love it.
Love how Marco says it almost every book, but when Rachel and Tobias say it, they say it a lot
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

guitarhero01234

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
Quaf, you’re insane for doing this . . .

esplin

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »
This is pretty interesting.  I wonder if the authors knew they used this word so frequently. 

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at that last graph, and noticed that there was a book where all the usage of "insane" was by Rachel, then looked a little closer and was like, "Oh, that was book 12, yeah that checks out."

Also . . . there's an "other" category?  Who besides Animorphs ever says "insane"?  Erek?  *checks graph*  Ah, book 17 and 19.  So Mr. Edelman and Aftran.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:20:03 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 04:48:14 AM »
yeah if you go on the spreadsheet, in the 'other' column I added a note to say who said it. From memory there's Cassie's mum, Aldrea, Edelman, aftran, rachel's mum, taylor, and tom.

Also pretty sure out of the few instances Ax says it, he's saying 'what Marco would have said', which is pretty funny
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?