Author Topic: Yeerk Questions?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline wolfev

Yeerk Questions?
« on: July 05, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »
Okay, this has bothered me for a while. If Yeerks can morph their shape to flatten around the brain and thin out to go into the ear canal how is it that they can be crushed by being stepped on? If they felt pressure why don't they just flatten out? Furthermore, in The Hork Bajir Chronicles when Esplin 9466 is pulled out of Aldrea's ear, why doesn't she go crazy like Hildy did in Visser?
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline SageKiller

• Meow
    • DeviantArt
Re: Yeerk Questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »
Wow I never thought about that. They should just be able to flatten out.  But then, don't ****roaches do that too? They can flatten themselves to fit through cracks and stuff, but they still get smushed.

And I believe the difference between Aldrea and Hildy was that Esplin 9466 came out whole but Hildy's yeerk got ripped in half, there were still dead yeerk bits attached to his brain. That's what I remember anyway I might be wrong...

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »
Mmh well, maybe the flattening out only works when they are in the brain while tying into the neurons, they can't just do it anywhere anytime

And I don't think Hildy went mad because he lost the yeerk, actually I don't think he was really crazy at all, but he was a guy who went around talking about alien invaders while he reeked of booze, so he got called crazy. He was just a bit drunk.
Yeah I don't think the removal of a Yeerk induces insanity automatically, though some people probably go nuts after they take an alien out of their brains
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
Yea it seems like they can flatten themselves out to a point, but since they have to shoot that numbing stuff its obviously still a bit of a squeeze, so they cant become flat enough to not be squished, and since they are blind they wouldnt know when to flatten themselves to avoid getting squished anyway

i think your right about visser sage, i thought they said something about that

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »
I wonder what happens to Visser Three when he morphs. How can he control nonsentient minds even though it's a morph? Also, how can he expand far enough to control a very large brain. Finally, how can he control a body with multiple heads?

Two headed reptiles born in the real world have individually thinking brains. So if you have a Yeerk in one head, what keeps Allaron from controlling the other?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:35:46 PM »
I think it's explained somewhere that the Yeerk is still around the host brain, in Z-space, along with the rest of the morphed mass.  So a Controller could morph something with a really big brain or multiple heads or something the size of a flea, and the Yeerk isn't going to come smushing out of the flea body.  Really guys, basic morph theory 101 here... ;D

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »
So, does morphing stop the Kandrona Clock? or not?  :)
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »
I'll say no.
Book 6 the yeerk in Jake's head morphs several times for whatever lengths of time. Dies on the third day on the dot though, which really seems kinda bizzare to me: there days exactly? odd  :-\
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 09:54:46 PM »
I wonder what happens to Visser Three when he morphs. How can he control nonsentient minds even though it's a morph? Also, how can he expand far enough to control a very large brain. Finally, how can he control a body with multiple heads?

Two headed reptiles born in the real world have individually thinking brains. So if you have a Yeerk in one head, what keeps Allaron from controlling the other?

When Visser Three has to leave Alloran in order to feed on Kandrona rays, how is Alloran prevented from morphing something small and escaping?

The Mutation: How did Visser Three acquire the creature that seems to be made of fire?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 11:10:53 PM »
I know this is a seven-year-old question at this point, but I actually have an alternate theory about the why-do-Yeerks-die-when-stepped-on thing.  Which is that they don't.

We have two examples, in the series, of Yeerks 'dying' when they get stepped on.  In #12, when Rachel steps on the Yeerk formerly infesting Jeremy Jason McCole, and in #45, when Marco steps on Edriss.  For Rachel's part, I think she says something like, <I guess the Yeerk didn't make it very far.>  Marco's thoughts in #45 are similar.  They both just more-or-less assume that stepping on something would naturally kill that thing, and they move on (in both cases, they don't really have time to stop and check).  Plus, since Yeerks are clever, my bet is that most Yeerks would 'play dead' for at least a few seconds after something like that happened, playing up that assumption that a human would make, that stepping on something kills it.

Heck, both Yeerks could have survived a pretty long time after that (assuming Edriss had the good sense to keep a low profile post-war).  JJM's Yeerk could have been rescued by one of the other controllers nearby, and Edriss needed only slip back into the pool when no-one was looking.

When Visser Three has to leave Alloran in order to feed on Kandrona rays, how is Alloran prevented from morphing something small and escaping?

I believe the series states that Alloran has to be rendered unconscious every time Visser Three feeds.

The Mutation: How did Visser Three acquire the creature that seems to be made of fire?

Very quickly.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:15:47 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 11:58:26 PM »
How are Yeerk leaders chosen?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »
In the back of The Conspiracy, K.A did a Q&A. Here is what she had to say on this topic "(Esplin) swims in yeerk form. When he drains out of his host's body's ear, Hork Bajir guards keep Alloran under heavy guard and restraint."
I never knew that it had been confirmed that Alloran was restrained instead of sedated. Interesting, I'll have to try and find that Q&A and check it out. Personally I didn't know which method I liked the most, both are pretty equally awful for Alloran.

Which brings up the question as to how the yeerks were able to leave their morph-capable human host bodies near the end of the series... Same tech?
lol, I think sedated sounded like a better way hold Alloran. There are a bunch of other questions in the back of The Conspiracy.

How long does a Yeerk need to finish the feeding process?  Could it be done in less than two hours?  If so, morph Alloran to human and put him in a cell that's smaller than an Andalite so that Alloran can't demorph.  Let him out when Visser 3 has returned to his brain.

Offline Sorunome

• Muffins
  • Xtreme Member
  • Imma pony
    • My Website (You might loose THE GAME)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
Wait, since Visser 3 is inside of Alloran, could he in theory get Alloran to aquire Visser 3, as they are technically touching?
Could Visser 3 morph a yeerk and then infest another being? - Yeerkception!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
I wonder why they don't just give all hosts strong sedatives before the Yeerks leave. Not cost effective?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »
Wait, since Visser 3 is inside of Alloran, could he in theory get Alloran to aquire Visser 3, as they are technically touching?

Since Visser 3 is already a Yeerk, why would he want to morph a Yeerk?  Why would Visser 3 want Alloran to acquire him?

Offline Sorunome

• Muffins
  • Xtreme Member
  • Imma pony
    • My Website (You might loose THE GAME)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »

Since Visser 3 is already a Yeerk, why would he want to morph a Yeerk?  Why would Visser 3 want Alloran to acquire him?
i wasn't curious to if he'd want, but to if he could ;)

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
Weird idea for Alloran: As Visser 3 starts to reenter him, acquire him, and then morph him.  This would result in Visser 3 and Alloran/Yeerk both dropping down to the floor.  Then Alloran could instantly demorph and start slicing.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »
Did any Yeerks besides Visser 3 ever try to take over an Andalite?