Author Topic: Things That Bug  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
Things That Bug
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
Is there anything in any books that, while not really a KASU, just bugs you? For me, specifically, it's any time they make these huge complicated plans about how to take Ax anywhere and how they have 2 hours and only 2 hours. Such as when they're taking him to see a movie and they plan out how he has to leave after half of it. Why not simply duck out for 5 minutes into the bathroom to let him do a demorph/remorph in the stall? Between Jake and Marco, they could have guarded the stall for that long.

I understand that they didn't even get that far, but the point is, they planned to have to leave. When I first read it, I asked why they didn't just do the bathroom morph thing, and I still don't know why now.

Another related thing is the whole issue of how Tobias and Rachel can't do normal boyfriend/girlfriend things. Why the heck can't they? I can't think of any place they could go (that teenagers go on dates) where Tobias couldn't duck into a bathroom for a quick de/remorph after about an hour and a half. It seemed like manufactured drama.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
Re: Things That Bug
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:49:51 AM »
it always bugged me that they never morphed ducks (until the end).
best way to air-travel.

there were quite a bit of pointless plots that bugged me as well. (buffahuman, atlantis, etc. the helmacrons' first book was amusing at times, though.)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:11:05 AM »
I think the main problem with Tobias and Rachel is that when they went out on dates they did have to keep that in the back of their heads. Instead of just being completely in the moment and enjoying themselves, they had to keep an eye on the time. I think that would kind of ruin things after a while.

Why didn't they get goose morphs when they had the chance, because Cassie had a goose in her barn in the beginning. Why did Tobias never get an owl morph after book 13?

Many people were bugged by Cassie not getting a better battle morph, but I have an answer for that. The wolf was the first thing Cassie had that could actually fight. She went through the whole first book with nothing better than a horse, and I don't think she did much in book 2. Aside from everyone getting elephant/rhino morphs in the David trilogy, no one besides rachel went out and got a new morph for battle. And the elephant/rhino thing was mainly to cause destruction and panic anyway. Not to fight. Unless you count Jake's rhino morph in 16. That's the best explanation I have.

Why didn't they tell David he could stay at Erek's house? They wouldn't even have to tell him they were androids. just say they have this friend he could stay with that has a bed, air conditioning, and TV. That's all David wanted when he broke into the hotel. Not sleeping on hay with the bugs and noise of animals.

That's it for now.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
There are many things they could have done but haven't. Reading the books, I often told myself "But why don't they simply do that?!" Manufactured drama or lack of ideas, I don't know... You often tell yourself "(s)he/I could do that then" afterwards, because you had more time to think about it, because you weren't in the same mood then... So maybe KAA&MG/the Anis didn't think about that when it happened... It's still strange, but it can be the beginning of an explanation.

For David, I think they just didn't trust him since the beginning, because of the names of his pets, because of what he wanted to do... They just didn't like him since the beginning and didn't want him to find out about the Chees. They were paranoid and angry, and David felt it...
I think both of the sides have responsibilities about what happened then.
In a lot of movies/TVshows/comics/novels..., you can see that if 2 persons talked together, explained themselves, then there would have been a lot less fights and deaths. But people aren't perfect, people aren't reasonable... and usually don't trust each other.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Alic

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »
Cassie BEING there bugged me.

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »

Offline Venus

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
Something that drove me nuts when they were revealing themselves to Rachel's family: the characterization of Jordan. It was established early on that she was 2 years younger than Rachel. And when the Ani's came clean to their families they were 16. That means Jordan was 14. One year OLDER than Rachel was when she first met Elfangor. So why the heck did Jordan think Ax was a Pokemon? Either they forgot her age when writing that scene or Jordan is just a flat out idiot. If a 13 year old Rachel can recognize an Andalite as an alien a 14 year old Jordan should have been with it enough to figure that out as well.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 06:44:12 AM »
Well, even if Rachel saw the space ship and not Jordan, I think that she was pretty clever in the early books, so you're right, it's really strange...
Or maybe she was addicted to Pokemon and the word popped out of her mouth before she thought about how stupid it was to say that... ^^'
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »
I thought it was Sarah calling Ax a pokemon, and jordan went along with that instead of saying it's a dangerous monster that might hurt them. Then again, I haven't read the book in a while.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »
anytime an Andalite was mentioned as having only one stalk eye or some awesome scars to increase his bad ass points, I couldn't believe he'd never morphed once after his injury to fix it.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
Yeah, that is kind of weird. Also if many Andalites aren't even going to use their morphing ability, why give it to every soldier?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aldrea Hammee

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »
Here's something. In the first half or so of the series, it's emphasized several times how much morphing takes out of you, physically. The characters don't morph more then once or twice in a short space of time, they have to rest/are exhausted, etc. In later books, they morph constantly without ever passing out or anything detrimental happening. Particularly in #39, I think Cassie morphs about 10 times in 24 hours.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
That might be chalked up to getting more used to it, especially since Cassie is an estreen. Just like when you're out of shape, exercising can be a pain. Though the more you do it, the longer you can last. Eventually you can easily do things without becomeing tired that would have left you exausted a few weeks or months ago.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
That might be chalked up to getting more used to it, especially since Cassie is an estreen. Just like when you're out of shape, exercising can be a pain. Though the more you do it, the longer you can last. Eventually you can easily do things without becomeing tired that would have left you exausted a few weeks or months ago.

Yeah, I agree with Chad completely. Real life example: A while back I got a job involving a lot of hard physical labor. When I first started in the middle of the slow season, I'd work, come home, pass out, then wake up sore the next morning. By the middle of the busy season (a mere 4-5 months from when I started), I was doing two to three times as much work, coming home to party with friends until like 1am and be fine the next day.

Either way to get back on topic...
Why didn't they get goose morphs when they had the chance, because Cassie had a goose in her barn in the beginning. Why did Tobias never get an owl morph after book 13?

I agree completely with those two things entirely. They made me rage every time I read the books. How many plotlines could have been entirely skipped over if they could fly in unison for long distances or if Tobias could fly completely silently and see in the dark? If I had a dollar for every time I read, "Bird of prey don't exactly get along," or "Hawk eyes aren't exactly good for seeing in the dark, but are great for stargazing," I could probably pay to have a movie made >_>

I mean, they had access to geese/ducks from the start and always complained about the lack of endurance/non-compatibility of the raptors. Common sense should have kicked in at around the eighth time they talked about hiding from birdwatchers. Tobias was an excellent, experienced flier. He should have gotten an owl as soon he could morph again. He even mentioned envying them repeatedly in his own books. Yes Tobias, you too can now fly silently in the dark.

Another random bit that wouldn't have been as vital as the first two things, but still could have helped them out: acquiring Ax. A single mission where they all rushed in as Andalites, killed a large group, and left before anyone noticed they were all identical could have gone a long way in either halting any thoughts that the bandits were human or convincing the yeerks that the Andalite bandits were larger in numbers.

Another thing was Tobias' sheer lack of other flying morphs. By the end of the series, the yeerks were blasting red-tails on sight. If I were him, I would have acquired anything with wings just so I could get closer to sensitive targets. In fact, with birds of similar dimensions, he could have probably morphed mid-flight to confuse the yeerks (which would have also made a pretty awesome scene in my opinion).

What does it mean to be free?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 07:59:33 PM »
I'm not really sure about the morphing Ax thing, but Tobias should have definitely gotten other flying morphs.

I just think it's such a wallbanger when they finally get duck morphs, and Marco says "Why didn't we do this before?". That's a really really good question, and probably the ghostwriter taking a jab at the series because they went so long without something like that.

Ani-Master 2014!