Author Topic: Animorphs Trivia Game  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Animorphs Trivia Game
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
Hey everyone. For a while now I've been wanting to organise an Animorphs Trivia game for the forum, and now that we have the RAF Chat and a decent amount of members, I think it about time we tried it. I know there are at least a few members out there with an impressive knowledge of the Animorphs books who are dying to show off!  :P

I haven't really sorted out the details yet, but in order to make it fair we'd obviously have to play in the RAF Chat. That way, we can be sure that people won't have the time to look up an answer before posting. We can make this idea a casual thing for when there's a bunch of bored members in the Chat with nothing to do, or we can make it into a competitive tournament with official quiz masters to ask the questions and judge the answers.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is to get an idea of what the rest of you think. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
Re: Animorphs Trivia Game
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
I think that's a pretty good idea.  Though, I think it should just be casual so that there aren't too many people who are insanely competitive.  But yeah, I like it.
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
I think that's a pretty good idea.  Though, I think it should just be casual so that there aren't too many people who are insanely competitive.  But yeah, I like it.

:ditto: the above pretty much sums up my thoughts too. :)
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
maybe a casual thing also, but...legit competitions would also be awesome, cause yea it would get competitive but thats the fun! we could keep stats and have a full season and then qualify the top 16 for a tournament...

It'll be tough to come up with that many questions though, without letting the people who want to compete create too many of the questions they'll be answering you know

what we could do is have everybody create and submit as many questions as they want, and have a few people who can organize them based on category, difficulty, and who created the question. So then for a competition we can create some kind of excel or access program or something that can randomly choose a series of questions in an even mix of categories and difficulty and excludes any questions made by the people actually in that round. You know what I mean?

anywho...details aside, great idea mike, id love to be a part of it (as a competitor, cause im here to bring it)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »
Well even if it were competitive, there's no reason why you couldn't ask questions as well as answer them. We could have people take it in turns to ask the questions.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »
all in.
this idea should have taken form a long time ago.
*joins*

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
It's an idea I originally had years ago on RAF Classic but we didn't have a Chat at the time so I kinda forgot about it until recently.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
This is an awesome idea!  I agree that there should be casual rounds, but I also really like the idea of having 'official' competitions.  I want to be able to flaunt my nerdy knowledge, darn it!

As for the questions . . . maybe submitting questions should disqualify you from the actual official competitions?  Like, there would be non-competing judges who asked the questions?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:06:51 PM »
I like the everyone submits, judges pick idea...

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
yea as long as we make sure people arent answering their own questions we're steady freddy

i guess I'll start thinking up questions...

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 04:35:21 AM »
Well as long as nobody proves themselves to be of the notorious World of Warcraft "Graveyard Famer" mentality, which is to say the sort of person who goes out of their way to flaunt their superiority thereby ruining the game for both teams (both because you've got the people on the other team who obviously don't like being killed over and over again and since Blizzard stupidly punishes them for giving up and leaving, they sit there and take it while about half the people on the winning team just want the freakin' victory already and aren't interested in spending the next two hours increasing a stat that's good for bragging and nothing else but somehow the farmer is always the one holding the flag and the only way to stop him is to very pointedly not heal him, which leads to a crap load of complaining which just ticks the whole team off and leads to some name calling once the next round starts) still while Farmerism implies a very specific example this is a sort of personality you can see in any game, I've even seen it in pictionary, but I reffer to it as "Farmerism" because I can.

When it doesnt exist or there's no overly strong incentive to encourage it, then competition is okay, normally, still I've seen it often enough online to lose faith in humanity as a whole . . . good thing I'm not human  :P
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »
Oh good point falcon, and I didnt think of teams, that would be cool. We'd prob only have enough people for 2-3 person teams if we went that way

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »
i like this idear too. trivia if fun + it will encorage people to re-read the books. ((cuz i havent read any animorph books in almost 2 months ;D))

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
I'm glad people like the idea. Obviously if people submit questions for the judges to use, the judges will have to make a note of who sent in those questions so that people won't end up answering their own questions.

I'm decent when it comes to Animorphs trivia, but I would never "flaunt my superiority" as Falcon said, and I expect everyone else to do the same.

Offline Mr. Guy36

• Xtreme Member
  • im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
I would definitely do this. Awesome memory for random details FTW!

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above