Author Topic: First Flight  (Read 10038 times)

redtailedsaffa

First Flight
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:04:42 AM »
Finally getting to post this after being positively squished for time by my infuriating coaching classes! I decided I’ll go with my story first, before going to all-out RAFfics (for which I already have my plans :) )

A bit of a time-check – the fic is set quite a while after the events of Enter RAF, as will become very clear. Okay, this prologue might be a little vague, but then again, that’s how most prologues are anyway. :P

:edit: Very Recent Post-Fic Edit: For folks who are interested in reading the whole story but are too lazy to scroll through pages, the PDF of the entire thing is available, attached with this message. :)

Prologue

The red-tailed hawk lay motionless against the newsreel desk, a wing broken, feathers everywhere; overall, torn with the wounds of battle. Wounds she knew she would die from, because the fatigue from it all just overwhelmed her. Too tired to morph to human, to have some chance of healing…

Why, why, why on earth had she gone after him? Why had she been her usual reckless Rachel-type nutter self and not called backup? Because she was relatively new and might not be taken seriously? In any case, no one at RAF knew she was here now, left for dead. No one could possibly know about this site and come look for her. No one could take her back now, not even…

The air shimmered behind her. Acute hawk hearing picked up the shuffling of feet across the office floor.

“You did say you enjoyed being a hawk, even fighting as one,” the old man said, coming from behind the tattered green-and-gold wall hangings.

Great. The Ellimist. Possibly the last person in the world – make that the universe – she wanted to see right then.

<What do you… want from me?> she choked out.

“Nothing from you personally,” the Ellimist said. “Though indeed, there are times when our games go too far. Deals that shouldn’t be made…”

<Look, I don’t know what in hell you’re talking about… but how does all that matter? I’m probably dead already.>

“True, but yet, not so much,” he quipped in his usual annoying enigmatic way. “Tampering with time to get the upper hand is never validated for. Yet at times, the results of such actions… the things they reveal...”

He regarded the office they stood in, the slashed panel, the smashed portrait lying by the hawk’s side. “Yes, the results… here you are, having sacrificed yourself for the reputation and the security of a country that was not even your own. From an outerworlder that went too far.”

<You should know. You… should understand. I needed…> The thought-speak voice faded.

The Ellimist regarded his surroundings with an air of… satisfaction? “I know the decision I have to make,” he said, before disappearing as the office began to brighten and pixelate, pausing only to have a word with a young girl who had arrived at the wrong time.

The decision had not been his alone, he knew. It was also that of a country coming of age, often fragile and hanging on the brink – and this young RAFian had just given her all defending it from someone who did plan on sending it over. His only role was to put the decision into effect.

Yes, with South Africa’s gift of thanks, she would go back… go back to RAF, her home.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:11:13 AM by Kitty Hawk (Saffa) »

redtailedsaffa

Re: First Flight
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
Since I have the time, why not got in for a little character introduction, then? First actual chapter!

Chapter One

‘Revision hour’ after school hours for the normal folks, those poor souls oblivious to the strange realities of the world around them, was a time to either bore themselves silly, or, in the absence of the teacher, catch up on normal scandals involving their fellow normal mates, actually consider opening a book to study something, or just let loose and play the general fool.

For Saffa, it was a chance to plan her next move, or take down mental notes on every new detail that she encountered in RAF and beyond, and the things that slipped from that world into this one and vice versa.

Like her and her sister, Rose.

Today, though, in her usual place at the far-right back corner of the classroom that always reeked of cats, she contented herself with the newspaper instead, which held nothing remotely interesting. Apart from an article about a plan to reintroduce tigers in the reserved forest part of the woods next to the school (like that would ever happen), there was the usual petrol-price hike, corruption, scams, murder, rape, protests, incomplete drainage work, and the Indian cricket team doing what they did best these days: losing. She put the boring paper down and looked around the class.

Guys were having a paper-ball war in the front of the class (maybe she could supply them some ammo?); various cliques of girls were hanging around exercising their tongues; her cousin Jason was looking for something under the cupboard; and Austin, in a suit and jacket, was sitting in the centre listening to the croons of two groupies.

Normal stuff. Stupid stuff. A bit of a refreshing change, really.

She looked at Austin again. He was in the suit for a wedding party he had to attend later. Saffa knew more about him than any of those attention-deficit groupies did, thanks to a secret weapon of hers they would never perfect: actual, sensible conversation with the man.

Austin was new, having been dropped two weeks late into boarding school, not least in the last school year – twelfth grade – by his extremely busy military-based parents. His background explained the standard-issue Army rifle and the 16mm Colt* Rose had found in his cupboard (completely by accident). And why he always walked around with an air of uncertainty, like the enemy was right behind him in a tank.

Yet otherwise, he was a nice, normal teenage boy. Nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever.

Jeez, you think you’re weird, huh, Austin? she thought. For a while, she let the feather patterns draw themselves on her skin, imagining herself fly through the clouds, riding a warm, plump thermal. Well, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

“Will you come to the party with me?” a soft voice said suddenly.

Saffa nearly fell off her chair, and the feather patterns schlooped back into her hand as she looked up to face the tall, well-built boy with soft, dark hair and serious brown eyes behind glasses, giving him an almost elfin appearance.

“Say whaa?

“The wedding party. It’s gonna be bloody boring, and I’ll need someone to talk to,” Austin said.

“What about Ashley and Payal?”

“Are you crazy? Those girls will drive me off the rocker if I’m with them for more than five minutes. Besides, you have much more interesting things to say.” He smiled.

“Uh-huh. If you say so,” Saffa said, smiling back. “I’ll go change then. See ya.”

“Okay, see you down at 7.” He left.

Saffa burst out laughing as she walked up the stairs to her dorm, as some girl stared at her.** Much more interesting things, he says! He doesn’t know the half of it… not about the whole other world that had been coexisting with his own normal one since the 1980s, and the strange folks that now kept it under control somewhat – the RAFians. He didn’t know the girl he was about to take on a date was a human-slash-red-tailed hawk morpher, the master of all things South African.

Poor boy.

She rummaged in her suitcase, looking for something that was at least point-nine-nine percent formal. “So? It should be nice, doing something normal for once,” she said to herself as she changed into jeans and a dress shirt of sorts.

“Normal? You? Really?” a voice laughed.

Saffa looked up. Rose had entered the room. “I didn’t see you come in.”

“No, duh, you didn’t see me come in.” Invisibility was Rose’s modus operandi: she could make herself, the clothes she wore, or an object she was holding disappear at will. And she was now, having silently slipped into her sister’s individual dorm-room away from the madness of the tenth-grade common one downstairs. “And where are you going to be normal? All dressed up?”

“Oh, Austin asked me to join him at the wedding party.”

Rose looked in wonder at the rather bland expression on her sister’s face as she mentioned this. “No kidding! I’d have thought you’d be more excited.”

“Yeah, well,” Saffa pulled on her Converse as she explained, “I’m a RAFian. I’m a warrior. Gotta keep my emotions in check.”

“Oh, please.” Rose sat down firmly on Saffa’s bed. She might have been two years her junior, but she was her intellectual equivalent, and partner in crime. “You are going out with a boy who, in a radical first, has actually paid you special attention, Jason excluded. Relax, girl. Let loose. Have fun.”

“Still, it would be nice if you could watch my back…”

“Eish. You’re seventeen and you still say these things. Anyway, I’m going to be s***-bored tonight, no midnight pranks or some such. We’ve actually decided to let the warden get some sleep today, so, what the heck.”

“Thanks, coz, you know, something always happens when I’m out on my own.”

“And how do you know this night won’t be different? Without distractions? Controllers? The Pootang, say?  Or creatures that are crosses between, I dunno, Pokémon and Inferi catalysed by Medusa?”

Saffa raised an eyebrow.

“What? I’m supplying examples.”

“And you have a truly wild imagination.”

“Hey, I’m exercising it. That way, I can expect anything terrifying. No surprises.”

“Okay, then, you can tell me that the next time we meet Visser Three,” Saffa said sarcastically. She ran her fingers through her shoulder-length dark hair. “But I have this funny feeling something will happen.”

“With your luck, you can count on that hunch,” Rose said dryly.

------
* - Okay, I don’t actually know if they make that particular class, but I didn’t want to Google weapons just to find out. You know, Big Brother is watching and all that. :D
** - Reference to #27 – found it? ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:13:47 AM by Saffa »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »
An origin book, right?

I haven't much time now, but I intend to read it more thoroughly a bit later.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
Yep. No problem, take your time. I'm probably gonna be posting chapters at odd intervals thanks to the Parent-Over-Shoulder problem. :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
Alright.

And . . . technically former mod Esplin (or has that changed again without my notice), also known as Russell, is Visser Three . . . but okay.

If this is the origin story . . . I may very well use this as a reference source.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Lol, yeah I knew that. Of course I meant Visser Three from Animorphs. :)

Though in order to bring in the "normal" world into the stpry, I had to reference the living-Internet background of Enter RAF. My other fics will mostly deal with RAF on its own, awesome as it is :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:45:20 AM by Saffa »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »
This is really good. I need to get off my butt and post my first full chapter on mine... *sigh* I should probably start soon with that...
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »
Thanks! :) I'm right now on vacation and I don't have my laptop with me, so I'll be posting the next chapter on Mondaywhen I get back home (CANNOT do this from my phone). I was contemplating deleting the thread, but your comments are keeping me in! :)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
I was contemplating deleting the thread, but your comments are keeping me in! :)

(Emphasis mine.)

Now you know what I felt when I posted the first chapter of "Memoirs" back in February '12. ;)

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »
I like Rose
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
I know. That's why I keep my sister around. ;D

EDIT: New chapter today, I'm back!

Chapter Two

“Will you stop,” Saffa hissed at the chocolate mousse, which was slowly diminishing in quantity. “It’s becoming rather obvious that someone’s flicking food. And I don’t want to get blamed!”

“Hey. Can’t help it, it’s so good,” Rose said, her invisible mouth full. “So. Now I know why you brought me here. Because the food is great.”

Saffa sighed. “You are not doing me any favours here. I mean, I already look like a nutter, talking to myself.”

“Then don’t talk to me and let me eat in peace. D’you know what this feels like after the school’s bulletproof rotis*?”

Saffa shook her head and went over to Austin, who had finished talking to one of his many overbearing, overdressed aunties. He smiled when he saw her. “You bored?” he asked.

“Not really. Been checking out the food,” she replied. “The chocolate mousse is amazing.”

“Well, anything’s bound to be amazing, after the school food,” Austin said, thinking of the less-than-impressive gravy and chicken they had served up on Christmas when he was one of the few who had to stay at school for the holidays.

“You’ve got that right.”

A song started up on the stereo, which Saffa recognized. R.E.M. Strange Currencies. It took her right back to the 90s somehow – ahh, them good old days. A lot of the adults took their respective partners and started dancing. Austin and Saffa regarded them rather awkwardly.

“I can’t dance to save my life,” Austin said.

“Me neither. I’d rather eat.”

“Then eat we shall do.” Austin looked at the dessert counter. “Hm. I’m pretty sure we had a lot more chocolate mousse.”

Saffa just kept quiet and filled her plate with salad, singing along to the song.
Fortunately, Rose had had her fill of dessert, and decided to head to the kitchen to try out some main course without making it obvious. She sidled along the wall, dodging fat aunties and waiters doing balancing acts with dozens of dirty plates, and walked through the kitchen doors without a care in the world.

The kitchen was a standard, industry-sized steam-pot cluttered with pots, pans and various odd utensils Rose didn’t even find on cookery shows. Waiters were rushing for service, pushing trolleys in every direction. Rose sidled along the floor lined with huge mobile shelves carrying plates and worktables, looking for grub.

Ah! Sticky chicken wings! By the gods, that looked sooo inviting, compared to the hacked-up rubbish they served occasionally at the school dining hall. This was the downside of living in a predominantly vegetarian nation like India: the little meat they cooked up in public establishments, they didn’t even do a good job of that.

Rose quietly stole a wing which then melted into nothingness on her touch. She leant against the wall and savoured the tender, flavourful meat, when she heard bits of conversation that floated from the trash area on the other side of the wall.

“… maybe even get back to RAF.”

Rose nearly dropped her wing. No, that couldn’t… maybe there was too much earwax in her ears. As far as she knew, RAF was a practically unheard-of domain here in India.

She peered over the edge of the wall. Two people were standing there: a man and a woman. They were having a rather intriguing conversation about… something.

She slowly moved along the edge of the wall, stepping lightly over a pan on the floor, and stood at about ten metres from the pair, holding her breath. Her eyes widened in shock as she recognized the lady who harangued students who came down to the school office, Mrs. Bennett. The man was quite a specimen, wearing a long black coat that only revealed the legs of his Levi’s. He had on a dull grey fedora which partially hid his face, betraying only a leering, thin-lipped smile. Basically, your typical wannabe-evil-villain look.

Mrs. Bennett went on. “I was surprised at first, but I got to her soon enough. The descriptions your colleague gave helped.”

Long Black Coat laughed dryly. “Yes, it seems rather unbelievable, doesn’t it? A RAFian here. Here! I mean, Animorphs wasn’t even officially released here. Maybe she had American relatives (which, incidentally, Rose thought, was true), I don’t know. Anyway, my colleague is imperative that I find her. The technology I already possess, the plan purely my own. But the agenda is his.”

“Couldn’t he do this on his own?”

“He’s not exactly in a position to, shall we say, move, at the moment. But he did warn you about her. She’s not completely helpless.”

“And what is this power that makes her so?” Mrs. Bennett asked.

“The morphing power, definitely. There can’t be any other explanation for the red-tailed hawk. Which is most certainly not a native Indian bird.”

Rose froze. They knew about Saffa! Which meant they knew about…

“Anything more?”

“How do I know? Maybe you’ll find out when you confront her.” He smiled. It was not a nice smile. “She’ll be forced to… it’ll definitely take more than a little bird to put you down, Alice.”

Mrs. Bennett grinned. It made Rose feel sick.

“That knowledge will be immaterial once I carry out the job my colleague has asked me to do. Once she is out of the way, the rest of RAF will be no problem – I’d have gotten there by then. He knows nothing of my own intentions, though, which is good,” he added smugly.

“I would suggest going back to the school. Wake her up,” Mrs. Bennett said, still grinning.

“Oh, there will be no need of that. She is right here, at the party on the invitation of her friend. I feel really sorry for that poor boy,” Long Black Coat said, and looked right in Rose’s direction.

That was when Rose decided she had heard enough. She bolted for the kitchen door.

* - A very common Indian bread.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:00:06 AM by Saffa »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
That sounds really cool. I love your story
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
Intriguing . . . apparently Rose is to you, Saffa, what Shadow was (and still is) to me.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
You hit the nail right on the head there, Cloak! We've always been pretty thick, since the age difference is minimal and it's always been just the two of us - like I said, partners in crime. :)

New chapter!

Chapter Three

The fool might be my middle name
But I'd be foolish not to say
I'm going to make whatever it takes,
Ring you up, call you down, sign your name, secret love, make it rhyme,
Take you in, and make you mine.

Saffa stood with Austin somewhat near the dance floor, eating her dinner like it was her last meal, and taking in the general scene. It still seemed weird. Normally, at this time, she’d be in her dorm RAFing or checking the score, or reading Animorphs or something, or trying to study till she fell asleep on the book. If it was light out, she’d test her hawk eyes with Rose playing invisible hide-and-seek in the trees.

Anything but hanging around outside campus at a dinner party (with WAY better food) – and with Austin, no less, the guy who half the female population of her school was after only because he was “technically a man in uniform”. (Ye gads, it was probably better for him this way.) Yep. It was weird.

It was at this point that Rose decided to show up, turning off her invisibility so suddenly that the two of them jumped, nearly dropping their plates. “You. Are. In. Deep. S***,” Rose gasped.

Austin’s jaw dropped, as he took in the sudden appearance of the curly-haired, bespectacled girl in jeans and a T-shirt, her seemingly normal appearance marred by the presence of a weapon of sorts, somewhat like a ray gun, slung around her shoulder. “You – but you’re – Rose! Where – how did you – “

“Oh, good Lord, I hoped it wouldn’t come to this,” Saffa wailed. She pulled Austin to an alcove, away from the mass of whirling, bouncing bodies on the dance floor.

She took a deep breath. “Listen, what I’m telling you right now is real. Very real. And don’t freak out when I try to convince you.”

“Okay, I’m listening,” Austin said slowly, uncertainly. Rose stood above them on guard.

Saffa continued. “The world is weirder than you think. The Internet is… er… how should I put this… alive,” she managed to say. “There are lots of prominent-enough sites that exist as domains on their own, in a realm of their own.”

“Oookay. So what does this have to do with you?”

“Wait, wait. I’m getting there. You can go from one domain to another and from the Net to the real world. There’s a certain technology required for that, which I have…”

“You mean you live on the Internet?” Austin blurted.

Saffa barked out a laugh. “No, no, I was a nice and normal kid until about four months ago. You know that book series I always read?”

“Animorphs?”

Bless the boy’s good heart, he knows of its existence. “Yeah, I’ve been into it for years, which is how I found Richard’s Animorphs Forum, or, as we call it, RAF. Turns out it’s one of the most predominant domains. The most, actually. That’s where I perfected my RAFsona – my ‘alter-ego’ to you – and got the power to morph.”

Austin’s eyes widened. “By morph, you mean…”

“Turning into other animals, yes,” she said wearily. “I have only two morphs, actually: a fly and my neighbour’s Labrador. This is Andalite technology, not ours – “

“And a what?”

“I’ll tell you the story of the original Animorphs later.” Saffa paused. “There are lots of others like me, with their awesome powers. Man, you should see Seal, she totally OWNS the water! And Cloaky, the Realm Walker, master of the Six Elements… Underseen and Ash, my shapeshifting friends… I could go on and on. Anyway, the point is that all this kinda lands us into a lot of trouble.”

“Go figure.”

“RAF is not only like our second home, it also houses various creeps, monsters, and etceteras, half the time thought up by newbies who don’t know what they’re doing with the power to create a post, and the other half of the time by jobless banned users. Of course, I was also new and stupid once, and in some ways I still am, but it’s like noobishness increases over the generations – “

“I hear you!” Obviously, he’s also had trouble keeping juniors in line.

“Yeah, although I know quite a few newbies with a lot of good stuff in them, they’re just a bit confused, that’s all. I know that feeling. Anyway, we have to keep these accidents down, but most importantly, keep our existence a secret,” she said. “Or the whole world will want to grab hold of our technology and what we know. A total invasion of a good life.”

“So I’m guessing someone is after it now.”

Rose spoke up. “I’ll be more specific here,” and she told them every detail of the chilling conversation she had heard.

Saffa stiffened. An expression of anger, or determination, Rose couldn’t tell, spread across her face.

“But just where the hell did you come from?” Austin asked Rose.

Rose grinned. “I can turn invisible,” she said simply. “I’m not an actual RAFian, but I have some powers of my own, thanks to Saffa here.”

“They don’t stand a chance,” Saffa said suddenly. “We’re gonna fight them. They’re not taking me down so easily… but whoever they are, whatever they want, they are not taking RAF.” She looked up. “It’s the only place I’ve actually found good friends.”

“And you’ve just found one more,” Austin said, taking her hand. “I’ll help you.”

Saffa stared at him. She looked into his eyes. “You could die.”

“If it means helping you, I really don’t care.”

Saffa thought of trying again to convince the man that he was utterly insane, but decided against it. Instead, she took a deep breath. “Be careful. Follow my thought-speak. You’ll soon see what it is. And, for God’s sake, I repeat, be careful. Our work ain’t exactly all fun and games, though it seems to be.” The feather patterns slowly began to etch themselves on her skin.

“Well, if you’re coming, you might as well take this,” Rose said, tossing the Andalite shredder to Austin.

“How will I know to follow you?” Austin asked Saffa, whose arms, he noticed, were slowly turning reddish-brown.

Saffa watched as the feathers spread over her body. Her now-bare feet shrunk to sticks, which sprouted to form ripping talons. Her head bulged forward into a beak, and her arms changed to broad, sweeping wings, as all the while, she shrank to large bird-size.

Austin stared in awe at the red-tailed hawk in front of him where Saffa had just been.

<You’ll know.>

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
You and Austin are so cute together.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.