Author Topic: The Animorphs movie thread  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Cookie

Re: bring animorphs to the big screen.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 07:00:21 PM »
Hmmm I think a single movie adaption of Animorphs would only work if they took the characters and core ideas from the books and then used them to create a completely new adventure, (without the war being finished) as opposed to trying to squeeze the entirety of the book series and the whole war arc into one film as it is simply just too much. If they wanted to do a trilogy then they could do the war arc.

I think I would much prefer to see an animated series structured like A:TLA. I feel as though the book series lends itself much more to this type of screen adaption than to a movie. 

you2c05

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
I so agree with this and have for some time thought about this, Animorphs the complete series Megamorphs and all into movies would be... wait for it.... LEGENDARY!!!!!  The series on TV I've only seen a couple because of old cheap equipment, but a few new full length movies with epic CGI and I would be at the theaters to see every one.

Offline Semeir-Cooraf-Armaheen

• <No fear.>
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
...but I thought everybody wanted to see Elfangor drive Optimus Prime! *Brick'd*

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
As awesome as that would be, I'm afraid it would cause everyone's life to be unfullfilling afterwards. Once you see that, there just isn't anything that can top it. It's like watching a fight scene with jackie Chan versus Bruce Lee. Why watch any other martial arts fight after that?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Zeego

• Visser-On-A-Stick
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 12:32:51 AM »
This...is my BOOMSTICK!

Offline Fly-like-an-eagle

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
I admit I got hyped up reading it. But thinking realistically to what that link stated, it's as if they re-tested to see if Animorphs brought any sort of relevance inbetween today's crazy-books-trend of Twilight and such. And if it did, it's all the more reason to launch a movie franchise for it. Seeing how the books unfortunately didn't perform well, I guess this movie's a no-go.

I'd like to be proven wrong of course.

Offline LorenF15

Re: The Animorphs movie thread
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
with the crazy success of the Veronica Mars kickstarter campaign, I was wondering if it would be possible for us to do something similar, to show we REALLY want a great movie? just an idea...

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
It could work, but don't forget the fact that scholastic doesn't want anyone besides them near the franchise.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline cosmic-messenger

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
The only format that could really handle the series well would be a Walking Dead style tv show. Give on or two episodes per book, it would run for around 4-5 seasons. The chronicles could be a mini series or a tv movie special. The only issue would be that it would need a HUGE budget to handle all the SFX needed to make morphing, hork bajir, andalites, etc not look terrible.

If it were to be a movie, however, the only person I could think of to direct would be Joss Whedon. I would never trust David Yates with it after what he did with Harry Potter. As a hardcore fan of that series, seeing how he took so much plot out of it and made it all about flirting and bit comedy, and adding unnecessary scenes, I would hate to see what he would do with Animorphs.

I also always liked the idea of a Spielberg helmed "Animorph" that's mentioned in #54 :)

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
All I've seen from Whedon is the Avengers. It was my favorite movie of 2012 but it was definitely all action and no real plot. Is that a regular thing for his movies? Because if that's the case then he needs to stay away from Animorphs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:15:16 PM by Blue Boy »
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
He did Dr. Horrible, its on Netflix and is one of my favorite movies, which has a great story and action, humor, and music combined.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
IMHO, an Animorphs movie should have, first of all, a huge budget. The special effects are essential, beacuse there are morphing, animals, aliens. fighting, spacecrafts, adventures underwater, in the space, on other planets, and, furthermore, the visual spectacle, if done well, could attract a lot of audience who doesn't know Animorphs.
The main problem of the TV shows was the budget. Poor special effects. Aliens looked like puppets, spacecrafts were improbable, the enviroments were limited (e.g. they could not realize the recovery of Ax underwater but in a container or something similar).

Then, the plot. It's impossible to reduce the whole story in one film, but on the other and it's impossible to represent all the books. It could be a trilogy or a tetralogy. They may not consider, obviously, Helmacrons, Nartec, book 32, 39, 41 and others.

About the cast : I don't know who could play the role of the Animorphs, I don't know teen actors now. The idea of Emma Watson for Rachel is good. I have no idea about the director - maybe Joss Whedon or Steven Spielberg.
Another crucial thing : the screenplay should be very suitable to make the story flowing, as the single books are self-contained. (except for David Trilogy and the last two).

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
I doubt we'd ever get somebody like Spieldberg but as long as shaymalan stays FAR away, I'll be satisfied
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »
I'm so glad this didn't end up happening.  Reading those rumors over on Hirac Delest had me a little concerned.

It's just not suited for a big-screen adaptation, even in as far as it's 54 main-story books, and even if you cut out the "filler" ones you're still stuck with about 35-40 stories that all seem pretty essential.  You either start mixing and matching, melding books together and lose a lot important stuff, or you do it as some multi-season animated TV thing.  Even that's a stretch.

And that's saying nothing of the subject matter.  It wouldn't pass through "the system" without being neutered and sanitized.  You just can't depict 13 year olds dealing with Vietnam-style guerrilla war effects on their psyche in some PG Summer blockbuster. 

When I first heard about that new movie by the Twilight lady with all the Body Snatchers influence, I was grinning pretty broadly.  That goes a way to seal the deal for the foreseeable future, if it's successful.

On a side-note, Blue Boy, the simple plot structure of Avengers was by design, Whedon's said as much.  He wanted a straight-up cheesy & old fashioned Independence Day style plot to hang the character interactions over, since there was so much to get done in terms of establishing all that, the people, that the plot was just driving that.  It's very safe to assume you'll get more what you're looking for in a sequel, he's said it's going to be smaller and really twisting the knife and making it more personal.

That being said, simple as it was, that's so much better than having a giant cluster...uhm, frick, like Dark Knight Rises.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:28:48 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline Valennia

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 03:19:25 AM »
I agree, I just don't think the series would fit into a single movie...there's just too many plot turns that are essential in understanding what this series is really all about. Action movie directors just don't really make plot and dialogue and character development a priority anymore, so it would just be a failed attempt.
Maybe a TV series remake, but there's just too large a risk of it being a complete disaster too. If they upped the age range of the audience and made the Animorphs 20 year olds they would probably drastically change the plot and add too many unnecessary elements (Rachel having an affair with Marco *shudder*)
I think for now this series is best left alone. ;)