Author Topic: How an Animorphs TV show and Movie should be done-REDUX  (Read 10468 times)

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
Re: How an Animorphs movie should be done-REDUX!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »
Don't start this again, Yorick... >:(
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:39 PM »
Oh and maybe thats the way YOU want the movies to go, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
There are some huge plot changes here that while they may attract some people we leave a lot of fans feeling neglected.
Of course it isn't reasonable to follow the books word for word, but why kill off so many of the most interesting aspects of the series?
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »
well it wasn't when I read that, so calm down

I won't calm down. You lack all common sense.
why is it that I read it as pivotal because you hadn't edited it yet, mean I lack common sense?

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »
thats all tobias' story, your basically taking tobias out of the movie and adding in some random blonde orphan

and you dont have to worry about how to end the series in a movie, it feels like ive said this a million times without anyone ever acknowledging it, but they will never ever make a movie that would end a successful franchise, or an unsuccessful franchise really, if someone figures out a way to make money off an animorphs movie, they wont make it a trilogy, they will milk it for as many movies they can until they stop making money, even if that means make 54 movies, they still wont make a movie about the end lol

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
which really is almost perfect seeing as Animorphs didn't have a solid end ::)
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 07:25:29 PM »
thats all tobias' story, your basically taking tobias out of the movie and adding in some random blonde orphan

Tobias was more than just a hawk. He was dreamer, a friend an ally through and through. We don't need him stuck as a hawk to see that.

And you're right that studios would typically squeeze a cash cow till it's completely dry but this is a thread showing how it SHOULD be done rather than how it WILL be done.

This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »

Tobias was more than just a hawk. He was dreamer, a friend an ally through and through. We don't need him stuck as a hawk to see that.

And you're right that studios would typically squeeze a cash cow till it's completely dry but this is a thread showing how it SHOULD be done rather than how it WILL be done.

well, its a thread of how you would like it to be done, alot of people wouldnt agree with you, you're changing too much

theres people that will chew your face off if tobias has brown hair and you want to leave how that hes a hawk

that being said, you have the right idea with the first two plots, except for the books you are adding to them the #1 and #4 would be good for movies one and two, and #2 might be a good idea to add to the first movie, but you dont actually say how it will be added so it would be interesting to see how you would combine them, and then #36 hell no, not only is it completely tacked on the way you want to do it, it is one of the worse books of the series

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: How an Animorphs TV series should be done-REDUX!
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »
Wow, you guys are ripping on Yorick pretty hard. What's wrong with discussing the impossibility of an Ani-TV series/movie? It's nice to dream, isn't it? :P

Anyhow, Yorick, I have issue with a couple of things. The two biggest being: Tobias regaining his human form and the new ending.

I agree with wotw. This is a show that COULD be directed at an older audience easily. If it was sold right. You would have to make the characters a bit older (16-17), and obviously you would sacrifice some of the original story. However, it could be done, I suppose.

I do think that at all costs you need to maintain the original structure of the story. This means all major plotlines are included: Invasion, Tobias' nothlitism, Marco's mom, Ax's obligation for revenge, the Chee, David, the entirety of the final arc: including the ending. In a darker series you do not have a fluffy ending. It doesn't fly with the rest of the book. Other aspects that I personally think are important to include:

Elfangor's backstory
The Yeerks getting the morphing cube
Tobias being tortured by Taylor
The fact that not all Andalites are good (a la several books)
The rivalry between V3 and V1

By changing the ending you're changing Applegates message. Which I personally believe is something you should NEVER do when adapting a book or book series.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
um, no actually the only ones ripping this up real bad is filmstu and xenomorph

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
whatevah. None of my business anyhow. :)

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 08:03:51 PM »
But Terenia...

But I kept the invasion (duh!), Ax's thirst for revenge, Marco's mom being Visser One (though she dies in the series), the Chee, David, the final arc (except the parents are also captured), Elfangor's back story, Tobias' torture by Taylor, the imperfect Andalite and the rivalry between vissers.

If I didn't comment on these plot points, then I'm fine with them.

What is Applegate's message? War is hell? I got the point all the time throughput the series. Another much more important message that a few can make a difference.
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
If it was a TV series, I'd keep the hawk thing but for a movie series, it's just way too distracting.

I CLEARLY pointed out how they should be added. I put up a plot AND scene selections for each.

Why didn't you like The Mutation? How is tacked on too? They're both set underwater and they could end up in Atlantis in an attempt to esacpe from the Yeerks.
Who's doing this?

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »
But Terenia...

But I kept the invasion (duh!), Ax's thirst for revenge, Marco's mom being Visser One (though she dies in the series), the Chee, David, the final arc (except the parents are also captured), Elfangor's back story, Tobias' torture by Taylor, the imperfect Andalite and the rivalry between vissers.
Oh, I know you kept some of those in there. I was just noting them as important things to keep, not saying that you had taken them out. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

What is Applegate's message? War is hell? I got the point all the time throughput the series. Another much more important message that a few can make a difference.

Yes and no. War is hell is definitely one of the messages. But I think another message that is just as important is that war doesn't have a clean ending. She says herself something along the lines of "often the end of one war is simply a transition into a new war". In her letter to the fans she comments that she wanted people to know that you don't just high-five and go on with your life post-war. Some people die, some never recover, and some do move on. I think that's an important message.

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:40 PM »
What do you think of those direct-to-DVD movies I planned out? No one's commented on the idea so far.
Who's doing this?

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »
actually a lot of fans didn't like the mutation. I didn't either. not hate, but not like eihter. If I recall correctly, it was because it was too "disney"... well basically it wasn't like animorphs. Me, I just don't see the point of having to morph killer whale, nor understand how it'd help.