Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 591048 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #5685 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
I actually do work with a guy named Kenny and used to work with someone named Craig. They're both pretty cool.

And those were just result of "put names out of a hat" sort of deal. Nice cowinky-dink there.

And for the record, most of my managers are pretty cool. Even the one that blew smoke into the costume is usually alright; this is just one instance where he was being a douchebag. Just wanted to clear that up. :P

Which is why I named him something rather generic like McCarthy (one of the names on my Kindle's "word prediction" thingy). And I just assumed there were actual people like that, lording power over people. Then again, Memoirs doesn't exactly mesh with the real world, for obvious reasons, and more like a former coworker of mine who like to act like the boss.

I just need one to be a douchebag for . . . for reasons later on in the book, not that (at the time of writing this) he ever appears.

And, then again, you did say "most".

Also, the last few paragraphs were great. Very short, but I really liked the tiny bit of characterization there.

Yeah, I liked the LH/GH interaction there. He does adore you, you know. :)

:edit: New chapter. And, yes, I'm aware I'm milking this GH-armadillo mascot thing. Don't worry, this is the last time. . . . Maybe. . . .

CHAPTER THREE:
The Stranger

GH grudgingly put on the bodysuit of the mascot, knowing just how hot he was going to be within fifteen minutes. True, he was going to be allowed fifteen minutes break every hour, and he will not be outside, which with how chilly it was -- chilly due to the heavy rains the day previous. This was not a service to GH, as it was presented to be.

He pulled on the reddish-brown, v-necked, character-accurate cowboy boots, trying to avoid knocking things over with the tail attatched to the bodysuit. He, again, wondered why he had agreed to this. Wondered why he allowed himself to be talked into this mess once again. After the Pyronite DNAlien business, he swore not to do this again. And yet . . . here he was. Putting this godforsaken thing on again. He probably wouldn't have if they didn't dangle that friggin' metaphorical carrot in front of his nose.

Then he pulled on the reddish-brown, long-cuffed, character-accurate cowboy gloves. He didn't even like kids too much. They were snotty, smelly, and bratty. They were all little, self-entitled pricks and their parents were no better. He never had to endure it, but he knew that these monstrous little bastards would not think twice about punchjng him in the gut or nuts as hard as they could. And he was basically signing up for that for a four-hour shift. Why was he doing this again? Why? Why?

Then he Velcro'd the dull red faux "bandana" as he considered the real reason why he was doing this. Leatherhead. His beloved LH. To get him a guitar of his very own. He may not have been his son by blood, but as far as GH was concerned, Leatherhead was his son. Nothing would ever change that. Nothing. Yet, GH still knew that he would suffer during this shift. But LH . . .

Do it for him, GH, he told himself. Survive and endure . . . do it for HIM . . .

Then, with resigned dignity, he took the massive mascot head -- complete with a ten-gallon cowboy hat as part of the head itself. Once on, he would look like a rather mediocre-to-high quality three-dimentional simulation of the character, but his vision was kind of blocked by the lack of mesh where the nose was, and it took a bit of effort to see through the mesh, in general. It was with some reluctance and trepidation that GH, with the help of a manager (not McCarthy, though, who was conveniently not present), put on the head.

Once complete, once Armadillo Anderson, GH took a deep breath. He did not speak, as he didn't want to. He just wanted to get this over with.

It was a fortunately slow night. The presence of the great "Armadillo Anderson" didn't attract the crowds. GH was glad. No punches in the gut. No punches in the nuts. No tugging on his "tail". No whining, bawling toddlers that he had to take pictures with. It was ironic that the mascot suit hid GH's subtle body language that clearly said that this wasn't his idea.

From his vantage point, he could see the bus stop, if he concentrated, looking through the mesh that were the character's open grimace. But he didn't do it much, as he sat on an uncomfortable stool upholstered in cracking black leather. There were only like two occupied tables. GH hoped it stayed that way. He had only to suffer through six or seven pictures all day.

For some reason, the gloomy weather outside made the covered bus stop stand out more in the mesh GH saw through. So, he saw a very strange person disembarking. He looked human, but something GH's unpunched gut told him that he was not. He was fairly tall, rail-thin, with lank, long, brown hair. He had a rigid, yet sunken, sort of face. He had a sharp, beak-like nose and hands with long, bony fingers. He wore a black wide-brimmed hat, long black trench coat, black slacks, a white shirt, and wearing a black bolo tie.

"What the hell -- ?" GH said, suddenly, to himself. His Mark was showing itself through the mascot glove.

He looked around, and saw the strange man was gone. Gone from the bus stop. Damn! Damn the limited visibility in this goddamn suit! GH found himself thinking. Where did that guy --

But the shift was suddenly over. How did it go by that fast? Never mind that. He had to get out of this effing suit. That man wasn't human, and clearly was bad news to get his Mark to act in such a way. He need to get to the others.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:59:15 PM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5686 on: April 26, 2016, 11:11:20 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FOUR:
Call For Peremptory Action

"GH, I hardly think that seeing a strange man qualifies for such a drastic means of investigation," Cloak said, pragmatically. He was called on to babysit Leatherhead while GH was at work again. Cloak did not mind, as Leatherhead tended to be a bit less . . . mischievous than his niece was at his age. Granted, that was about seventy years ago, Dweller time. "It does not strike me as imperative of calling everyone back on duty just because you thought you saw something off."

"I know what I saw," GH reiterated stubbornly. He was clutching the neck of his guitar like an upturned battle axe, which was apt, becaue it was the neck of his guitar that turned into the handle of his guitar's ax form, though that power came from him himself. "I know."

"Do you?" Cloak said, bluntly. He had not intended for it to come out so harshly, but Cloak had habit of being brutally blunt at times. "I am aware that such costumes, or suits or whatever the proper term is, come with limited visibility. How can you be sure what you saw was what you believed it to be? How can you be so certain?"

"I am perfectly certain." GH insisted. "I KNOW what I saw, Cloak! And I saw my Mark through the glove!"

"Glove?" Leatherhead asked.

"Uh," GH didn't want to lie to Leatherhead, but he didn't want to destroy the young crocodile's innocence in believing in fantastical things. Though that might not be a problem, growing up RAFian. Leatherhead even had his own Mark, despite his youth. "I'll tell you when you're older."

"Aww . . ."

"Just go and play a bit," GH said, kindly and gently, "I have to discuss some things with Mr. Cloak."

Leatherhead happily acquiesced, being such a happy-go-lucky child that he was.

"GH," Cloak said, without preamble, voice a bit quieter, "just because --"

"It showed through the glove of the suit, Cloak!" GH countered, with a lower voice as well. "The glove wasn't a thin thing either. Otherwise it would be weirdly proportioned or something like that. Look, I know it sounds crazy, but the way he looked at me from the bus stop --"

"You were in an armadillo mascot suit," Cloak pointed out.

"That's beside the point!" GH replied, stressing the fact. "I swear he . . . he hissed at me!"

"Maybe he just doesn't like mascots," Cloak said, pragmatically.

"That's not the point!" GH insisted. "He was obviously up to some serious sh--"

Cloak raised his hand to silence GH, as he sensed something. Something evil. A long way away. Towards the city.

"Believe me now?" GH asked.

"You do realize that you, the kid, and I are the only ones in the forum right now, right?" Cloak said. "Even Richard has taken off for some personal time."

Meanwhile, in the suburb from the city, a tent went up. A tent like ones you'd see in a circus. It was as if it was some ludicrous religious revival thing.

The strange man GH saw was there, complete with an old-timey microphone. He was singing, and not a slow-paced, dark song as you might expect, but one that was light and cheery.

"Oh, we can see what others can't see!
It ain't some sideshow trick!
It's innate ability!
Where other are blind,
We are unity-inclined!
And you too could see,
If you was with lil ol' we!
Come on everyone, stand up!
Keep it going!
You wish your son would call you more.
We sense that you've been here before!
We'll read your mind if we're able!
Somethin' tells me your name's Abel.
So welcome all ye,
To the Tent of Unity!
And thanks for visiting
Little ol weeeeeee!
"

And, somehow, this attracted a crowd. To their doom.

Song source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=L3Bvk5fGUGI

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5687 on: April 26, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FIVE:
Can I Just Say, "Gross"?

Cloak wore his ID mask, which projected his usual human form of a human with dark brown eye, black hair, and silver-framed glasses. It projected him wearing a blackish-gray short-sleeved t-shirt with black cuffs, blue jeans, and brown work boots. He actually appeared to be slightly shorter than GH in this projected form. It was necessary so as to deflect any unwarranted attention.

Leatherhead had to go with -- which was basically leaving RAF fundamentally abandoned for the time being, something neither GH or Cloak really liked, though Code Avalon was active. It always was active. So, Cloak had given the anthropomorphized crocodile a hologram-projecting watch, not unlike Nightcrawler. It projected an image that looked very much like a six-year old GH with brillant green eyes and extremely towheaded. The projection wore blue jeans, a solid green shirt, a yellow denim vest, and a Crocodile Dundee-style hat. It had a bo staff strapped to the back of the projected form to explain away anything that he might knock around with his tail.

GH found it rather disturbing, yet strangely adorable, this projection. Yet that demented smile? Yeah, Leatherhead was definitely his son, even in this projection.

"I think it was in the city, maybe the suburbs, as well," Cloak said.

"Still a lot of ground to cover," GH said. Leatherhead said nothing, still looking at his projected self, marveling at it. "That strange guy seemed to have been going to the suburbs. I think."

"Still doesn't mean the two are related." Cloak said. "But let's start off there."

They immediately noticed the white-and-light-blue-striped circus tent, marquee thing, at the other end of the subdivision. They immediately went to investigate.

"Nations fall and demigods fade, but only unity is absolute, all encompassing, and eternal." the stranger that GH had spotted inside the mascot suit, a man called Reverend Taylor Keith Root, said. "And unity is a giving of yourself for the greater good! No, the greatest good!"

This was echoed with a sound that sounded like "amen" but just not quite. Cloak took great issue with that statement, especially with what they saw as they entered the tent flap.

Up on a pedestal was a mound of an undulating and writhing mass of bestial tentacles with two bands full of yellow eyes on what appeared to be the main body. It was was really gross-looking. Slimy and sticky. It looked like a tumor that had gotten really out of hand. It was pulsating in most unpleasant and squishy way.

But that wasn't the worst of it.

Connected to this trembling, convulsing mass of flesh were dozens of gnarled, grayish tentacles. The other ends of these tentacles came from the denizens of this subdivision. From their foreheads, either ears, either nostril, mouth (actually the most common one), or their chests.

"Ricky?" Cloak said, immediately recognizing a couple of the denizens attached to this creature. "Rollo?"

The two boys, ten and eleven-years-old respectively, were here. Cloak had known them from that Jervis McDowell case four or five Dweller months ago. Ricky had this gnarled, knotted tentacle thing emerged from his forehead while Rollo had it from his mouth.

"McCarthy?!" GH said, stunned.

The svelte, oily man who had insisted that he wear that godforsaken suit was standing here, with that gray tentacle lolling out of his mouth like some comically tumorous tongue. Usually always wearing a pressed suit (which GH always thought he deliberately bought a size to small to make him look bigger than he was, and it did, just not in the places he thought). Was this why he wasn't present when he had to pull that stinkin' shift? No, the stranger had just arrived there when it was nearly done. This . . . this was something else.

"Um, Daddy?" Leatherhead said, his projected humand child face reflecting the fear he was feeling and showing. "Why are they making that sound?"

It was then that they could hear the low-pitched hisses that the townspeople were making at them. They sensed something about them, something that they didn't like. Cloak quickly surmised that it was their Marks. Their Marks are what they found so offensive.

"What are they, Daddy?" Leather asked, his voice quavering with fear.

"We are Unity!" the Reverend replied, sounding rather sinister.

* This.

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5688 on: April 26, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »
. . . What the actual hell?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5689 on: April 26, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
Yeah, based on the "Superman the Animated Series" episode "Unity".

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIX:
Your Unity v. My Unity

"Unity?!" Cloak raged, ripping off his ID mask, revealing himself for the Realm Walker he was. "You . . . you parasites make a mockery of unity and then decide that thst will be your name?!"

The air began to crackle, but the being calling itself Unity did not seem to care about this. The earth began to tremble in Cloak's sudden anger.

"Daddy, Mr. Cloak is scary," Leatherhead said.

"Only when he's angry," GH said. "Really angry."

"We are the ultimate culmination of unity," the Reverend said, speaking presumably for the mass of tentacles. "We have all become one with Unity. We are Unity!!"

"Wrong," Cloak said, clenching his teeth, forcing himself to calm down. The trembling of the earth and the crackling of air ceased at once. "True unity does not involve wresting people's free will, their right to choose, away from them and forcing them to tow your line. That's a cult of personality, where one person holds all the strings."

"You are mistaken, misguided," the areverend said, almost reverently in the presence of the horrid mass behind him. "This is the only way to true bliss. Nations will crumble, heroes fade to obscurity, but unity is everlasting!"

"Not the way you're doing it!!" Cloak roared, his fists pulsating with golden-scarlet energy at intermittent intervals. "Free will is integral in unity, true unity!! What you are doing is enslavement! Brainwashing! Why do you not get this?! Even a politician can understand it."

"Cloak, do you honestly think that this is the time for arguing about ideological differences?" GH intoned seriously. He couldn't believe that Cloak was wasting time arguing this thing, when it clearly was never going to be dissuaded from tis views. It was never going to work, especially when someone is so deeply ingrained with their beliefs. "There are more pressing things that need doing!"

If Cloak heard, he didn't act like it. Damn that one-tracked mind of his.

"The Unity would welcome you, you know," the Reverend coaxed grandlly. "Forsaken that pretender unity you expouse, that false power that it provides, and come over to the true path."

"By the First Light, you're stupid." came Cloak's retort. "I am not some rosy-cheeked schoolboy full of idealism and naivety. I cannot and will not be swayed by your misleading platitudes or your oily demeanor. I will not be converted by you and your forces of freedom-deprived slaves."

"Cloak!" Gh said, a bit more forcibly, knowing that he would be able to get away with it due their friendship. After all, he was comfortable enough and willing enough  to share his past with him. "He's not gonna listen! We need to find another way to defeat these guys other than a direct assault!"

"Perhaps, GH," Cloak said, "but if this is the right species that I think it is, I know their weakness."

"If you will not be unified willingly," the Reverend began, voice threatening.

GH quickly inserted, as Leatherhead clutched the GH's side, hiding behind him from the monsters, as any child his age would, still hologramed as a human child, "be that as it may, Cloak, we still need to prevent them from spreading outward, or we will have another Heinlin incident on our hands. We have to act fast. And sitting here debating ideologies will not do anything for us in the long run!"

"Daddy?" Leatherhead said, with a quavering voice, "the monsters are all around."

It was true. They were surrounded by people infected with this Unity parasite.

"If you will not abandon the perverse brand of unity you have, and unify with us willing," the Reverend said, voice dripping with hostility, "then we will just have to MAKE you unify."

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5690 on: April 26, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »
I know it transitioned into this rather quickly from the rather innocuous beginning chapters of GH-as-a-mascot.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVEN:
Daring Escape

Cloak actually laughed.

"You actually believe you can make a Realm Walker do something that he does not have any desire to?" he scoffed. "You have no idea what you're dealing with, do you?"

"Cloak!" GH said, reproachfully. "Don't get drawn into a big monlogue again! We have precautions to set into place!"

"Or I can stop it here and now," Cloak said, "by destroying the bloated parasite."

GH actually didn't stop to consider that, but couldn't help see a plethora of flaws. They didn't know the larger effects of such a thing, and surely these infected people would try and stop them from killing their Unity, which may result in them being hurt or killed. Even just killing the thing might be enough to do it. They were hostages, really, and they couldn't just be written off as collateral damage. GH knew that he and Cloak would never do that, and that Cloak would have never forgiven himself.

Hell, he never forgave himself for killing Cataclysm, and that guy was a major league douche, and evil to boot. There is no way he would recover from causing the deaths of this whole subdivision. He would never forgive himself. There had to be another, cleaner way.

"Now right now, Cloak," GH said. He could feel Leatherhead trembling at his knee. "Look, LH is terrified. We have to get him out of here at least."

It could be seen as kind of a low tactic, appealing to Cloak's inner paternal and pascifist natures. But GH needed him to start thinking rationally instead with his heated emotions. They needed more information.

"It would be over so . . ."

"Cloak. Please." GH said, earnest. They needed a better plan of attack, not just an impromptu, poorly-thought-out assault. They need to regroup. Who was to say this was the only mound of writhing tentacles. "We need to go."

Cloak hesitated, considering, as the Reverend recalled the host hostages to protect the Unity. He considered some more, before addressing the Reverend, the mouthpiece of the Unity, "Don't get comfortable. We will be back. And you will be dead."

"You're not leaving here," the Reverend declared, "not.without uniting with us."

The ground trembled once more. The air crackled with power once again.

"You want to try and stop me?" Cloak said, threat very real. "You want to see a display of my power? I cannot even host one of your little parasites, not that I'd ever want to."

"I see," the Reverend said, "you want to cleave to your perversion. So be it. We will spread the gospel before coming back and showing you the might of our Unity."

But Cloak, GH, and Leatherhead were already gone.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5691 on: April 26, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »
New, albeit short, chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHT:
Necessary Quarantine

"Wait, Cloak, you can't go back there! We need more information, a plan of atta--" GH said, leading Leatherhead by the hand, and the young anthropomorphized croc was still in his holographic human child "sheath".

"I'm not, GH," Cloak said, very somber and stoic. "I'm just ensuring that their ridiculous 'gospel' doesn't spread to infect others."

He stomped his left foot, balled his fist, and slowly raised his fists above his head, creating an earthen spire where he could see the entire subdivision.

For the first time in a while, Leatherhead wasn't afraid, but curious, "Daddy, what's Mr. Cloak doing?"

"Can't say I really know, LH," GH replied. "But I think might be --"

Cloak's eyes suddenly became golden-scarlet suns, he was using his anger to accomplish this, not real skill. He wouldn't really have that until he finished his endeavor with Aniyu. Then he lifted his arm with all his fingers touching his thumbs, causing massive, fifty-foot walls of earth, the sides of which smoothened to a polished sheen, denying handholds and footholds, when he balled his hands into fists. Then he connected these walls in a similiar manner, making a big earthen box.

"What if they dig their way out?" Leatherhead asked. It was a prudent question.

"There wasn't any excavation equipment in the subdivision," Cloak said, lowering the spire and returning it to the earth. "And the sides of the interior are pristinely smooth. No climbing."

"Bern Bridges is gonna accuse you of being a terrorist for this, you know," GH noted.

"Blowhards are going to blow, regardless of.little things like facts and accuracy," Cloak replied, sagely. "Now, we shall discus how to beat them."

"Perhaps we should contact the others," GH said.

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5692 on: April 26, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »
Whoa, huge influx of chapters. Thanks for plugging Origin :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:08:39 PM by gh (JolKit) »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5693 on: April 27, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
I do consider it a companion book, GH. Like Torchwood and Doctor Who, like Buffy and Angel, if you catch my drift.

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINE:
Umbridge and Harangue

"If you don't believe that the RAFians are the villains of the story, here's some proof that should prove it to you." Bern Bridges said, his dirty jowls set aquaver. "They decided to cut us off, subdivision by subdivision."

He slurped his coffee, which some would describe as "diesel fuel", before continuing his condemnation.

"A subdivision outside the city has been walled off by fifty-foot stone walls," he elaborated his polemic. "And this was done without any justifiable reason, dear listeners. These RAFians have too much power, and now they are freely abusing them. And don't believe their disguises! Most, if not all of them, are not even human!!"

He basically just outted himself as a xenophobe. No one was surprised. He continued his abusive, contentious screed.

"They want to round us up, wall us off from each other, and make us easier to enslave! And what does our government do? It employs them! It employs them under the ridiculous notion that they are protecting us from threats that the local law enforcement cannot fight, that are equiped to fight." he practically shouted, spit flying from his swollen lips. "If it's so bad, people, then send in the friggin' military. We pay them enough in taxes, let's see them act upon that threat, instead of these vigilantes!"

He slurped his disgusting sludge that he called coffee. It was actualy picked up by the mic.

"In terms of viability as an extension of the government, the RAFians are superfluous and unnecessary. Anything and everything they do can be done far easier by the military or the police,"  he said, continuing this venomous diatribe. "There is no threat that the only RAFians can handle that our military or police can't handle. That's just RAFian propaganda. Don't believe it, dear listeners. Don't believe it one bit!"

SLUUUUUUURP.

"They are extraneous and useless, dear listeners. They haven't earned the pay they have basically siphoned out of the pockets of good, honest, hard-working people. They need to be defunded!" Bern Bridges declared. "They are against everything we stand for. They consort with demons and aliens and monsters. Is this the kind of role models we want for our kids? My answer, dear listeners, is a resounding NO."

He really was having a slurping problem with his coffee. It was hard to say whether he actually believed any of the vitriolic impugnation he spouted. It was unknown if he was just criticizing and spreading misinformation about the RAFians because he genuinely believed it or he had any higher-ups telling him his point of view, but it was most likely the former.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5694 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
I guess this book, Unity aside, is gonna be a Cloak-GH-Leatherhead character piece.

New chapter.

CHAPTER TEN:
When He's Ready

"No one can be reached," GH said, as Leatherhead was playing with a d-- er, "action figure", "how is that even possible?"

"It was always a possibility," Cloak replied, with a heavy sigh. "But it looks like it's just gonna be us."

"Not Leatherhead," GH said, quietly so the young mutant would not hear. He finally turned off his hologram projector.

"He's gonna have to be exposed to missions eventually," Cloak said, gently and firmly.

"He's six," GH countered.

"He's a RAFian," Cloak said, "and bears a Mark."

"He's too young," GH replied stubbornly. "He's not ready."

"And when he is, will you?"

"What do you mean?" GH asked as they paced around, thinking of the proper way to go about this.

"When he is ready, will you be? Will you be ready to let him?"

GH said nothing, but looked away and down. He stole a glance at the crocodile boy, still utterly oblivious to the conversation of the two.

"You can't protect him forever," Cloak said. "He won't be a child forever."

"I know that," GH said, at last.

Cloak waited a moment to see if GH would expound on this statement. When he didn't, Cloak said, "He is one of a kind, GH, he truly is. Not because of his . . . his birth, not just because he was adopted and loved like a father by you. He is a good kid, but you know the kind of things RAFians tend to face. You need to prepare him."

"I am," GH said.

"Are you?" Cloak asked.

"Why do you think I'm working an extra job? Why do you think that I am working so hard at that job?" GH hissed, so Leatherhead wouldn't hear. "Why do think I keep having to put up with putting on that stupid suit?"

"I thought you only wore it twice."

"Semantics." GH said, brushing it aside, "I don't want to give him a substandard guitar. Or maybe a keytar, I guess."

Cloak paused a bit before speaking once more, "He might not have symphokinesis, you know."

GH said nothing.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5695 on: April 27, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »
New book ideas.

• Book CMLXXXVIII (988): "Nevermore" -- Raevyn's backstory.
  • Book CMLXXXIX (989): "K-E Men" -- Men created out of an infusion of Energon and kryptonite must be stopped by the RAFians.
  • Book CMXC (990): "Abra-Cadaver" -- The RAFians must deal with a Hsien.
  • Book CMXCI (991): "Later, 'Gator" -- So-called "alligator fae" claim Leatherhead (16) as one of their own.
  • Book CMXCII (992): "Faerie's Boy" -- Faerie adopts an abandoned baby boy.
  • Book CMXCIII (993): "Transfusion Trouble" -- An evil, so-called "Gorgon" fae donates her blood, leading to serious consequences.

Titles are subject to change. Don't think I rehashed anything.

New chapter.

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
Back to Business

"You said something about knowing Faux Unity's weaknesses?" GH asked.

The deflection did not go unnoticed. But Cloak allowed it to drop, as there were more immediate concerns right now. The walls he crwated were actually a temporary measure, and it would be a matter of time before the Faux Unity -- the fact that they called themselves and the parasite "Unity" and actual, legitimate unity (and the energy derived from which) as perversions really rankled the the Realm Walker -- found away to escape the walls. All he did was buy time, and hope the control the parasite exerted over the people would not permit them from using the Internet or social media or the like, because the forum didn't need anymore PR problems.

Though Cloak's walls may have done that already, Cloak was aware.

"Cloak!" GH prompted.

"X-rays," the feline Realm Walker said, rather abruptly.

"What?" the symphokinetic guitarist asked, not having processed the quick response yet.

"X-rays."

"You're serious?"

Cloak said nothing but looked a GH in the eye.

"You're not joking," GH said, with an exasperated sigh. "Well, that's just great. How are we going to weaponize x-rays? And how can they go and check for broken bones and things?"

"They don't," Cloak said. "I doubt they even leave that tent, to be honest."

"I should have let you destroy that thing right then and there," GH groaned quietly.

"No, you were right, GH," said Cloak. "It could have hurt the innocent people, infected by that Faux Unity parasite. The only way to do it safely, to save the victims, would be used x-rays on that tumorous parasite."

"And just how are we to do that?" GH said, focusing on the futility of it all. "We don't have an x-ray gun or anything."

"Where's a Kryptonian when you need one?" Cloak sighed. "Or someone with x-ray vision."

"Doesn't Mr. Yarin work on guns and things?" Leatherhead asked, demurely.

"Yes, LH," GH said, firm but affectionately, "but Mr. Yarin isn't here right now. He's with Mr. Goom."

"But doesn't he have a workshop, Daddy?" Leatherhead asked.

"Kid's perceptive," Cloak said, with a smirk. Leatherhead beamed at this conversational praise, but sheepishly.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5696 on: April 27, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
What a Mess!

"This workshop looks like your thread," Cloak said, dryly teasing.

"It wasn't that messy," GH said, defensively.

"Daddy made me help him pick it up," Leatherhead added.

"Yes," GH said, mimicking a stiff, snobby person.

"I don't see anything here that could possibly be a way for use to weaponize --" Cloak began.

"Oh, godda--" GH said, before swiftly censuring himself when he realized Leatherhead was present, "god dang it!"

"What?" Cloak said.

"Look," GH said, indicating what he discovered. It looked like a hollowed out remnant of a metal box, which was clearly being repaired or rebuilt. "It's his microwave."

Cloak could almost hear Yarin scream, from wherever he was, at the top of his lungs, "FOOD YIELD INCREASER!!"

"Ugh," Cloak groaned, "how many times do we have to tell him no? Horse grew to fifty times her original size the last time this thing was functional! How stubborn is that Nyac?"

"Very?" Leatherhead asked.

Cloak didn't think to explain rhetorical questions to the young crocodilian biped. He didn't want to snap at the child.

"I don't think that Yarin has anything that we need or could use against the Faux Unity." Cloak said. "And it's only a matter of time before they manage to break through the walls, as nothing is permanent."

"You picked one heck of a time to be a philosopher," GH commented.

Cloak ignored the jibe, "Yarin must have been spending his time to covertly work on  his illicit microwave."

Yarin probably was giving him an aneurysm by screaming, "FOOD YIELD INCREASER!" wherever he was.

"Disappointing," GH said. "I had hoped . . . Leatherhead, what's that?"

"A flashlight klasky-scope." he replied at once.

"Kaleidoscope," GH corrected, guessing what the six-year-old was trying to say.

The device was a rather plain, metallic cylinder with a simple washer thing on it. Presumably turning it clockwise activates it, and the reverse to deactivate it. Assuming it worked.

"Can I have it?" Leatherhead said.

"Sorry, LH," GH said. "It's Mr. Yarin's. Whether or not you can have it, is up to him."

"Aw," Leatherhead said, handing the cylinder to Cloak, who looks at it.

"Looks like it must be a forgotten precursor of the G.I.F.s," Cloak said.

"I still think that's a stupid name," GH commented benignly.

Cloak twisted the washer on it, and then immediately twisted it back when a strange light blue beam lanced from it, but it didn't damage anything.

"What the Veil?" Cloak blurted.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5697 on: April 27, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
The Transparency-Inducing Light Emitter

"Tile?" GH said, reading the side of the cylinder that they didn't notice before. "What is it with Yarin and these stupid names?"

"Acronyms," Cloak corrected.

"Stupid acronyms, then!" GH said. "I swear he just comes up with a word, and makes his inventions names fit into that acronym."

"Daddy? I found this piece of paper," Leatherhead said, showing GH a crumpled piece of paper, written in Nyac script, which GH couldn't read, but it had lines crossed out.

"Aha! I knew it!" GH said.

"GH, you can't read Nyac," Cloak said.

"Yes, I can!" GH said, with bravado. He waited a beat, before confessing, "Okay, I can't."

"It says, 'transparency-inducing light emitter' and 'failure'," Cloak said.

GH eyed Cloak skeptically, "You couldn't read that."

Cloak did not answer, but looked at the T.I.L.E. and wondered. Could this be a weapon to use against the Faux Unity? Was the light emitted similar enough to x-rays to have the same effect? Would it prove lethal enough to the parasite but not the subdivision residents? So many questions . . . so many unanswered questions. . . .

"Cloak, dude. Why are you looking at that thing so intently?" he said. "It's not like it's an x-ray machine."

"It could be a sufficient substitute though," Cloak said.

"You don't know that," GH said. "You can't. Not for sure."

"True," Cloak said, honestly. "But it is an educated guess."

"A guess is still a guess," GH pointed out.

"Got any other ideas?" Cloak asked.

GH said nothing and that, in and of itself, said everything.

"Thought so," Cloak said. "This is the only way. I don't think Yarin will mind us taking it, as he was going to trash it."

"You don't know that," GH pointed out.

"His note said he considered it a failure," Cloak said.

"You're making that up, aren't you?"

"No."

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5698 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
Damn, half-hour late. Was gonna be six chapters that day.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
Unified Brainwashing

The denizens of the subdivision remained within the tent ever since the failed confrontation with the RAFians, oblivious to anything that was dismissed as nonthreatening to the Unity.

They were Unified. Freed from the dangers of individualism and free thought. They were happy to be Unified in thought, mind, and soul.

They were One. They were many, but they were One. They were many bodies, but their hearts and souls were one. They were one individual, one will.

They were Bliss. They were freed from the horribleness of thinking bad things, of feeling bad things. All they needed was here, from their Unity with Unity Mother. It was heavenly Bliss.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, there was no anger. No scarlet light to mar them, to fill them with fire and hate. They did not know hate, not when they were unified. Unity Mother held only forgiveness, patience, and mercy for them. It was far too kind.

Here, they knew ultimate chastity. The utter purity of being United. The shared knowledge of being United, knowing all that which is pertinent to Unification. The sheer honesty of the Unified, there was no need for deception among them, they were equals despite age, ethnicity, health, amongst other defining things. They knew no true wisdom than what came from being United to each other and the Unity Mother.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they had no want for anything. Avarice and greed simply didn't exist for them anymore. They hadn't anh desire for frivolous things -- frivolous materialistic things! Here, they knew ultimate charity, they willing gave up their individuality, their minds and bodies fo be Unified. But it was a small sacrifice for such bliss, for such benevolence and generosity!

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they knew no fear. There wasn't a thing in this world to be afraid of while they were Unified. The Unification was the perfect protection, and there wasn't a thing in existence that could harm their Unity. They were safe, right here, totally and completely safe.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they had no need for wills of their own. They had given over their wills, their decisions, to the Unity Mother. There was no need for them to have wills of their own, free or otherwise.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they knew true sincerity. Unity Mother would never lie to them, never try to decieve them. It was always so honest and forthright with its motives and its inclinations. It just wanted them to be happy . . . that's all she --it --she -- it wanted. . . .

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they had no need for hope. Unity is the beginning and the end. Nations and empires collapse and fade. Heroes die and eventually get buried into obscurity. Hope was absurd when you had Unity.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they knew true reliability. Unity Mother would always be here for them. Always. It -- she would never be late, never leave them hangin'. She -- it would never forget about or abandon them or their Unity. It -- she would always do what was expected of her -- it.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they knew true compassion and kindness. Unity Mother understood all their pain and gave them blissful respite from it. They no longer had to to feel that horrid unpleasantness of a cruel, harsh reality. She saved them from it, showing them true kindness in doing so.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they knew ultimate friendship. They were exorbitantly linked to everyone through the Unification. The links far superseded ordinary bounds of friendship. It was far better being One with them, being United through the Unity Mother.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they knew true love and humility. The Unity Mother knew how to treat them with love and due respect. She -- it did so in its own inexplicable way. Those that haven't yet been United wouldn't understand this brand of love and humility, but they would once they have been Unified.

Here, connected to Unity Mother, they had no need for courage. Courage was pointless. Supplication to Unity Mother was the only recourse, that's the only courage that is needed. . . .

This was the mentality of the infected. They didn't understand why the RAFians were so resistant in Unifying, in allowing them to Unify the world . . . they just didn't understand . . .

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5699 on: April 28, 2016, 06:56:01 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
That's Just Distracting!!

The "Unified" just sat on the benches with the tentacles extending from their mouths, either ear, forehead, chest, what have you, as a particularly loud chord, a short guitar riff, shook the tent. Then a powerful gale pulled the tent from its supports and it toppled over into the descending night.

There before them was a lone GH, his hand held high, guitar pick in hand. He struck another chord, before beginning his nonsense song in earnest, which strangely caused colored sparks -- red, violet, orange, indigo, yellow, blue, green, before restarting the pattern again. He continued to play, while the vacant, hollow eyes of the "Unified" looked on. They didn't look confused. They didn't look interested. They showed no emotion on their passive, blank, paled faces.

GH then sang:

"With blood and rage of crimson red,
For hearts long lost and full of fright,
What's mine is mine,
Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur,
In blackest day, in brightest night,
In fearful day, in raging night,
In brightest day, in darkest night,
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
For those alone in blackest night,
And mine and mine,
Natromo faan tornek wot ur.
Beware your fears made into light,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
No evil shall escape out sight,
Together with our hellish hate,
Accept our ring and join our fight,
And mine, and mine, and mine!
Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur,
Let those who try to stop what's right,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
If you worship evil's might,
We'll burn you all -- that is your fate!
Love conquers all -- with violet light!
Not yours!
Taan lek lek nok -- Formorrow Sur!
Burn like my power . . . RAF's might!
Look to the stars -- for hope burns bright!
Beware my power -- RAF's light!
"

The "Unified" held their ears as if they were in pain.

"Everyone's an effin' critic," GH grumbled.

Then he continued to rock out, which seemed to immobilize the "Unified".

(January 7, 2020)