Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 590344 times)

guitarhero01234

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #4380 on: June 26, 2015, 12:21:11 AM »
I smell a plot twist.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #4381 on: June 26, 2015, 03:31:56 AM »
Maybe.

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
Unusual Gratitude

"How come I'm not surprised?" Cloak asked rhetorically.

"You were expecting a fat Conservative with an obvious toupee?" Malice said, leaning nonchalantly on yew tree.

"Bit wordy," Aquilai commented on the comeback.

"Oh, shut up, Time Walker," Malice snapped.

"That's Time Lord," he corrected.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Malice said, flippantly, waving it away with a hand gesture. "I suppose a 'thank you' is in order."

A deafening silence.

"Pardon?" Parker asked.

"A 'thank you', man! A simple 'thank you'!"

"Is she being serious?" FuBar said, as confused as the rest.

"Quite, kitty."

"Don't you call me that!"

"You're playing us," Cloak said, shrewdly. "You trying to manipulate us, somehow."

"My, my, my!" Malice said, maliciously gregarious. "So suspicious, Cloak!! That's very good, being in your position."

"What do you really want, Malice?" Cloak said, tempted by his feline urge to attack. "Enough of these Veiled games."

"Games?" she said, with a girlish giggle. Cloak didn't think he could despise her any more, and she was proving him wrong at nearly every encounter. "I'm not playing games, hon."

A low tiger growl had escaped from Cloak's lips. This caused Malice even more pleasure, as she gave a big belly laugh, because she knew she was getting a rise out of the Elements Master.

"I was just saying 'thank you' for ridding me of that annoying pest," Malice said, with a malicious grin on her face. "That virus was just nonstop with its demand for a body. Never shut up about. Now it cannot pester me anymore! So, thanks!!"

The gratitude really wasn't welcomed.

"Hey, hey, hey. You're just lucky I made the body-jacker impossible to leave the suburbs or the city."

"You made . . ."

"That's riiiiiiight," Malice said, childishly, still smiling impishly. "I made the body-jacker, bound the virus inside and you have just slain that irritating pest for me."

Cloak just felt dirty, with that information.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:34:57 AM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4382 on: June 26, 2015, 03:54:17 AM »
How do you even react to that.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4383 on: June 27, 2015, 02:56:39 AM »
You don't, I guess.

New chapter.

CHAPTER TWENTY:
Sulks and Sucks

Cloak quickly got over his shock, and charged Malice, without a single thought. His mind unconsciously following his form's attack instincts. Every Realm Walker has these instincts, differing based solely and entirely on their forms.

Needless to say, Malice didn't stick around.

Cloak's rational mind takes dominance against his bestial nature once more, and he growls a bestial, feline growl before he stands upright again. He was just glad that he didn't lose control of his emotions, thus losing control of his powers.

"Cloak?" Aquilai asked.

"Uncle?" Shadow asked with equal concern.

"Let's go home," Cloak said, turning to leave, and then stalking away.

After Shadow return to her home with her parents in the Nexus, Cloak returned to his thread, and there, he brooded. He sulked.

Of course. Of course Malice was behind it. When hasn't she had a hand in something? Why had not paused to consider? Shadow had tried to get him to think it through, to not be so brash. And, in the end, he did exactly what Malice had wanted him and the RAFians to do in the first Veiled place.

The virus. That's what Malice called it. It was a virus.

It had no body of its own to return to after the destruction of the body-jacker. That much was readily evident. True, it was Parker who took the shot, and, frankly, got exceedingly lucky that his shot did what he wanted. A number of things could have gone wrong, including not only seriously injuring the kids, but possibly killing them.

Cloak found himself wishing that these things weren't so complicated. Wished that he could be a child again . . . but no. No, his childhood wasn't anymore a bed of roses than this was.

"Well," Malice said, aloud, to no one. Mega Maul and Ravage was no longer her lackeys, as they no longer lived. It really wasn't all too surprising. Malice doesn't tolerate company, good or bad, for very long. She is really fickle, murderously so, that way. "Now that I can work uninterrupted . . ."

Malice stopped her tinkering to listen. Listen to the blissful silence.

"Absolutely lovely," she said, rapturously. "No more incessant squawks about providing a body, no more bumnling buffoonery, no more traitorous weasels plotting behind my back."

She lapsed into silence once more.

"This is they way it was supposed to be," she said, "the way I am supposed to work. Alone and free of distractions. Plans without a chance of running afoul due to the actions of incompetent lackeys, being screwed or skewed up by the deliberate machinations of backstabbing would-be usurpers. All I have is my work and myself. Who could need anything more?"

She lapsed into a thoughtful silence once again.

"I should get back to work," she said, rather studiously, "this next scheme should really . . . suck."

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4384 on: June 27, 2015, 03:52:28 AM »
Knowing the synopsis of the next book, this does not look good.

PDF of this book:

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4385 on: June 27, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »
Ah, yes. And yet this book won't be as dark as some future books. Some future out-of-continuity books will be especially dark. Thought, I suppose "RAFians Alive" had its dark moments.

New, shortish chapter.

BOOK XCI:
YOUTHFUL THIEF

CHAPTER ONE:
Saffa's a Swinging Gal

"Golf?" Cloak said, derisively. They were at a promotional event, trying to do a little public relations control. They were just fortunate no one saw Parker kill F1 from the wrong angle, as it could have looked like he was taking a shot at the kids. Cloak was less than thrilled. He never found sports -- of any species, really, including his own -- very engaging to watch. He couldn't fathom how this was true for humans. "How dull can we get?"

Saffa . . . Saffa didn't agree. "Dull? On the contrary!! The game of golf is a metaphor for life itself! Each hole represents a challenge. Each swing, a defining moment. Each --"

Cloak wasn't having any of it. "C'mon, Saffa, enough of this psychological mumbo-jumbo.*"

GH chimed in, "Yeah, sing your solo already!"

Understandably upset that the two ruined her song introduction, she pushed the two out of the lone camera's framing. Yeah, they were videotaping a song to preface the golfing tournament.

Saffa sang:

"I can swing with the swingers,
And I'm havin' a ball!
I always go for the green.
Yeah, I want it all!
RAF fits me to a tee,
I'm a swingin' gal
That's me!
"

Cloak and Guitarhero chimed in:

"Even though life can be rough.
Our little Saffa's got the right stuff.
Never has her head in the sand.
"

Saffa protested, "Hey, let me sing my song firsthand!"

Then she switched to singing:

"I can swing with the swingers
And I'm havin' a ball!
I never putter around.
Yeah, I want it all!
I'm as RAFy as I can be,
I'm a swingin' gal,
That's me!
I'm as RAFy as I can be,
I'm a swingin' gal
That's me!
"

From there, the event proceeded as you would expect it to.

*;) No offense intended.

** Song source.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4386 on: June 27, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
Golf?! I've only ever swung an overly heavy cricket bat with marginal success. :XD:

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4387 on: June 27, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
Eh, so the video will be heavily edited. ;)

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4388 on: June 27, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
I can tell already that this is going to be an . . . interesting book.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4389 on: June 27, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
Yeah . . . anyway, a new chapter may come later than normal tomorrow.

New chapter.

CHAPTER TWO:
When I Was Your Age

"Get off my lawn!" miserly old Tobey Agrowch* shouted at some giggling kids of indeterminate ages. They laughed in away Agrowch found most irritating before they complied.

Tobey Agrowch was a man more of bone than of flesh. His long, protruberant nose, his haunched stance, his naked head -- all together they recalled a rather obstinate vulture or buzzard. His personality wasn't much different, as he made his living as a businessman at an insurance firm, who preyed on the weak and desperate. He much enjoyed his pastime giving his clients false hope, then quickly dashing them the moment they gave them up.

He was not a nice man.

When he retired (not that he really had much choice in the matter), he found himself miserable and alone. No woman -- golddigger or not -- wanted to be with a man who so revelled in the suffering and misfortune of others. No sane person would enjoy the company of such a man.

Deep down, Tobey knew this. It embittered him, but he did not blame himself for these faults. Of course not, that would be too honest, too real, too hard for him. He decided to blame it on everyone else instead.

Stupid kids, he thought savagely. Wasting their youth away, doing nothing useful. They don't know how good they have it. Why if I was younger . . .

Suddenly, music started up and Tobey imagined what he say to these whippersnappers.

"Let me tell you, sonny . . .
Let me set you straight.
You kids today ain't never had it rough!
Always had everthing handed you you on a silver plate.
You lazy brats think nothing's good enough.
Well, nobody ever, drove me to school when it was ninety degrees below.
We had to walk butt-naked through forty miles of snow!
Worked in the coal mine twenty two hours a day for just half a cent!
Had to sell my internal organs just to pay the rent!
When I was your age.  When I was your age.
Let me tell you something, you whiny little snot,
There's something wrong with all you kids today.
You just don't appreciate all the things you've got!
We were hungry, broke and miserable and we liked it fine that way!
There were seventy-three of us living in a cardboard box!
All I got for Christmas was a lousy bag of bawks.
Every night for dinner we had a big ol' clump of dirt.
If we were really good, we didn't get dessert!
Didn't have no cell phone, didn't have no ATM machine
All we had was a couple cans and a crummy piece of string!
Didn't have no swimming pool when I was just a lad.
Our neighbor's septic tank was the closet thing we had!
Didn't have no dental floss, had to use old rusty nails!
Didn't have Atari, we just poured salt on snails!
Didn't have not water bed, had to sleep on broken glass!
Didn't have no lawnmower, we used our teeth to mow the grass!
What's the matter now, sonny, you say you don't believe this junk?
You think my story's wearin' kinda thin?
I tell you one thing, I was never such a disrepectful punk!
Back in my time, we had a thing called 'discipline'.
Father would whoop us every night till a quarter after twelve.
Then he'd get too tired and he'd make us whoop ourselves.
Then he'd chop me into pieces and play frisbee with my brain!
And let me tell ya, brat, you never heard me complain!
When I was your age.  When I was your age.**
"

And yes, those were rather gross exaggerations. Tobey never really suffered as a child, though his parents were never really the tender, doting people most would have expected. He was not a liked man, and as such, he never got a single gift after his childhood.

Which was why it was very odd that he got an unexpected package on his front step.

*Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where I got this name? :)

**Source song.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4390 on: June 28, 2015, 02:45:08 AM »
Exaggeration is an understatement. :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4391 on: June 28, 2015, 03:04:12 AM »
Yep.

New chapter.

CHAPTER THREE:
Rise of the Erisraptor!

Tobey put on the skintight, midnight black costume within the package, which clung to his bony frame and left nothing to the imagination, not questioning who sent it him. He assumed that it was a long-overdue admirer who sent it, someone who finally understood his greatness. It wasn't anything like it, but more on that later.

He put on the metallic wings which attached to his arms, which allowed him flight due to a special dial on his belt which allowed him to use and "glide" on Earth's natural magnetic fields or some other sort of complex, possibly physic-breaking explanation. But he flew like a constipated buzzard -- nothing sleek, fast, and agile, like one might expect from a younger user.

The real wonder of this costume was the gauntlets with rather sharp-looking, raking talons at the fingertips. These talons are what would make Tobey dangerous, not because of the sharpness. Because they contained a certain siphoning technology, described to Tobey in the package, and he wasn't sure to believe it.

But he really wanted to.

Taking to the air to hunt an appropriate "test subject" (read: "victim"),  taking on the name of "Erisraptor", thinking about what the note tried to explain. The handwriting was difficult to read, almost as if the writer was in a hurry or deliberately making it difficult to read.

Something about a logarithmic formula about the difference age of him and his "test subject" and something about the years not used, and yada, yada, yada. He thought about this as he circled over the suburbs, like a vulture looking for carrion.

There! A seven-year-old boy! The perfect vict-- er, test subject.

Erisraptor seized the boy's arm, and activated the gauntlets. Both glowed with a white light, as the boy's body grew, his clothing ripping and tearing with the sudden mass gain, as Erisraptor's costume changed with him, until he was roughly twenty again. He tossed the geriatric child aside, and crowed loudly at his reclaimed (read: "stolen") youth as the newly-octogenarian child groaned quite audibly.

Erisraptor, the Youth Thief, took flight with far more agility and finesse than before.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4392 on: June 28, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
Okay, this book might -- might -- be a bit longer than the requisite twenty chapters.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOUR:
A Serious Drawback

Erisraptor was elated.

He could not remember when he had last felt this good, had last felt this strong, had last felt this . . . this . . . this energized. It was something to be treasured, something to be adored, something to be cherished! He could not help himself from flying loop-de-loops and performing aeleron rolls, barrel rolls, and such midair with rather reckless abandon.

He could not believe that he was actually physically twenty-something again! Yet, he retained the mind and the knowledge of his previous aged self! It was absolutely wonderful! He did not care for the child he stole it from, he did not care what would become of the seven-year-old kid. He did not care what particular challenge the child would have had before he decided to reap the youth of the wee one.

"Ack!" Erisraptor sputtered suddenly. It was as if he had flown into a brick wall full speed. His body convulsed, experiencing wave after wave of pain. Not exactly an excruciating pain, but enough to get one's attention.

"No. No-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no!" he cried out, desperate, nearly in tears. He was feeling -- literally feeling -- his stolen youth being leeched away from him. There was absolutely nothing he could to stop it from slipping away from him, try as he might.

No!! This couldn't be! He couldn't have lost this youth so quickly!! It couldn't have been so temporary! He had just barely got to enjoy the full extent of it!

Well, the solution now was simple. He would simply have to find another appropriate victim.

"We didn't know who else to turn to," a woman, the victim's mother, was saying. "We couldn't just take him to the hospital. They would never believe us."

"Yeah, we could never adequately explain how a seven-year-old suddenly became older than us," the boy's father put in. "We thought you'd be able to help -- they say that you deal with this kind of thing all the time. We didn't know what else we could do for Stevie."

"Don't worry about," Cloak said, stepping from the shadows.

"Really," Abby sighed with exasperation, "must you do that hiding in shadows thing?"

Cloak ignored her. "The truth of the matter is we do handle all sorts of bizarre cases and missions."

"I do believe that this qualifies," Gaz said. Laserbeak chirped on her shoulder, causing Gaz to give a weary, but affectionate sigh. "Always have to have the last word, don't you, Beaky?"

Laserbeak gave an affirmative squawk. Gaz sighed again.

"Cool bird," Stevie said, with a raspy, octogenarian voice. Then, with shrieks from his parents and looks of concern from the three assembled RAFians, Stevie glowed just as he did when Erisraptor stole his youth.

Cloak was the first to assess what was happening, "The boy's youth is returning."

"But how?" Abby asked.

"Whatever means that was used to take it," Cloak said, as if trying to riddle out a problem, "must only be for a temporary measure, hoarded for but a brief time. But I could be wrong, it could easily be another reason."

"I feel different," Stevie said, frowning a bit.

"Well, you're back to normal now, dear," his mother cooed. It made Cloak feel discomforted somehow, and Cloak knew precisely why -- he never felt a mother's love. Closest thing to it he had ever experienced came from Faith and his aunt, his mother's younger sister and second eldest of the six girls of Sage. Stevie's mother said, calmly and sweetly, "It was a very odd experience, I assume."

"Does your son have any reason why he would be targeted?" Abby asked.

"No," his father said, thinking it over, "no, I don't think so. There's the dyscalcula, but --"

Cloak had a suspicion. He pointed to an analogue clock on the wall.

"Stevie, what time is it?"

"Adventure time?"

"Hilarious." Cloak said, dryly. "Okay, let's try again. Which is larger, ten or six?"

"What's this trying to prove?" his father leaped in defensively. "Are you just going to humilia--"

"Ten."

This stopped his father midsentence. Stevie had difficultly telling which number was bigger than another, difficulty reading analogue clocks, difficulty working backward with time, as well as general mathematical difficulties. This was how he was diagnosed with dyscalculia.

"Stevie, you just --"

"It is as I suspected," the Realm Walker declared. "Whoever or whatever sucked away your son's youth, also took away his dyscalculia."

"Not that I'm displeased with it, but why didn't it come back with Stevie's youth?"

"I cannot say," Cloak said, folding his arms, and rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"You don't know," Gaz said immediately.

"That too."

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4393 on: June 29, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
Okay, this book might -- might -- be a bit longer than the requisite twenty chapters.

No problem with that. It certainly has an interesting premise so far.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4394 on: June 29, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »
Except that somehow never happens. ;)