Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 590371 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #4365 on: June 23, 2015, 03:07:37 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
Possible Quarantine

"You do realize, though," Bladeh point out, "that whatever consciousness is in that body-jacker is probably aware of our goal?"

"Which is?" Shadow asked.

"To kill it," Parker said savagely.

"Whoa. Isn't that a bit extreme?" Bladeh asked. "Isn't capturing it a bit more humane?"

"Ask that of the songbird you had for breakfast," Parker countered.

Bladeh wanted to counter this argument apparently, but could not think of an argument she thought was solid enough to use.

"That's right," Parker said.

"Parker, stop picking on Bladeh," Cloak said. "I understand that you have every right to be moody, but snapping at us isn't going to accomplish anything."

Parker said nothing but scowled very obviously.

"Perhaps the city needs to be quarantined," Aquilai suggested with a sigh.

"Quarantine is out of the question," Cloak said. "While I do admit that it could very possibly work, there really would be no basis for it."

"What do you mean that there's --" Parker began hotly.

Cloak held his hand up, in a gesture that he wasn't done. "There's no basis for it because there is no guarantee that it is still even in the city. Why cause mass confusion and anxiety for something that very well may not be true."

Parker grunted, conceding the point.

"The fact of the matter is that we need to find the body-jacker first," Cloak continued. "It will be hard, though. Unless the controller of the body-jacker completely gives themselves away, there is no telling which body it resides in."

"So," Aquilai said, with the tone of summation, "we are presented with yet another Sisyphian task."

"In another words, it's like every Monday," FuBar clarified, albeit with a bit of exaggeration.

"That too."

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4366 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:24 AM »
Parker seems a bit like he caught some of the Rachel toxin and its effects are working late.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4367 on: June 23, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
Interesting idea, Saffa. BTW, everyone does know why the Rachel toxin is named as such, right?

New chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
Jacking Trail

F1 took a momentary pause from its flight. It was actually in the suburbs on the other side of the city from the spot where it discovered its foolishness. It was amazing that was not further away, but there was still some momentary disorientation whenever it body-jacked a new body.

That included some directional confusion, exacerbated if the body-jacking was not intentional, and was just carried out because the prospective host body touched its current one. Especially if it was unaware of the body change initially.

So it didn't gain as much distance as it believed it did, as it did not have access to its host's memories, knowledge, or somnulent thoughts. It was not a Yeerk, after all.

It was currently inside a ginger-haired, middle-aged pilot, complete with a still camera. It was resting inside this grotesque body, inside this cartoonish disguise. It was longer than the requisite two minutes, looking around surreptitiously and suspiciously.

"They don't know who --"

"-- I'm in." it had brushed against a man in a Chevy. It passed through the other three occupants in the case, before leaving the final occupant for a child eating a drumstick. It moved the child's eyes with a guarded look, which the guardian did not seem to notice.

F1 was under the belief that it had put a lot of distance between it and the place it started. It was really only a block or two.

There was another reason for this, another reason for it not able to really leave the city beyond the suburbs.

"Do you have an inkling which direction it went?" Aquilai asked, rather pragmatically.

Cloak closed his eyes and opened up his other senses, while FuBar and Bladeh followed his lead. The sensing of evil that felines have was a very imprecise, vague ability.

Cloak had a feeling that Parker would not find this acceptable. He was reacting very hostile towards F1, but there was a very good reason for it. He felt violated by the body-jacker, though it couldn't enter him and take over as it did countless other humans. He still felt violated, and that made him feel a vulnerability that he did not care to feel. He never said anything about this, being very surly about it, covering it up. Cloak supposed that he could be wrong, but he didn't think he was.

"Well?" Parker said, heatedly.

"Calm yourself, Parker," Cloak said, almost serenely. This seemed to annoy the SPARTAN.

"How will we take care of this body-jacker?" Shadow asked thoughtfully.

"We destroy it," Cloak and Parker said, in unison.

Parker blinked in overt surprise. He didn't expect Cloak's support on this.

"But that could --" Shadow said.

"Kill the consciousness within," Cloak finished. "Yeah, I know."

"But --"

"The body-jacker is too dangerous an item," Cloak interrupted. "It cannot be allowed to exist. If the consciousness has a body of its own, it would simply be slingshot back to it."

"And if it doesn't?" Shadow challenged.

Cloak said nothing, but gave her a knowing look. A look that said that she already knew the answer.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4368 on: June 23, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »
Yeah, you gave the explanation in one of the chapters.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4369 on: June 24, 2015, 03:43:35 AM »
Ah.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
Scent of Desperation

"We will do what must be done," Cloak said, not looking at Shadow. She was young. At eleven, most would not understand doing the necessary evil to stop a greater one. Cloak had to learn that for himself the hard way . . . when he slayed Cataclysm.

Still, no matter the benevolent or malevolent affiliation, the taking of a sentient life should not be so quickly and rashly decided. Cloak had never said anything about it, and he did not seem to even realize it himself, but he did feel some guilt for the eidolons in the Eidolon Consciousness. He knew the decision then to dispose of them had been his, and, as such, he bore the responsibility for their destruction. It would be an outright, bold-faced lie to deny that.

But now wasn't the time to dwell on past failures and done actions. Time was not on their side, as, even now, the body-jacker and its riding consciousness could be a quarter-way around the country. There really was no stopping it, and finding it was like finding a tiny ball bearing in the sands of the Sahara Desert. Quite the task to be burdened with.

Well, as they say, the journey of a thousand Realms begin with a single Walk.

"Wait . . ." FuBar said, sniffing. "Smell that?"

"I don't smell anything," Parker said.

"It's faint," Bladeh agreed with FuBar. It was clearly out of the olfactory range of anyone with a standard human-level sense of smell. "It's faint, but it is there."

"It's this way," Cloak said, having caught the scent himself. They followed it, but the strange thing (which made perfect sense) was that this scent was coming from multiple people. Obviously, these were people who, at least briefly, played host to F1.

"Wait, there's a certain . . . pungent-ness to it now," Bladeh said. "What is that?"

"Did that cat just talk?" a little boy who couldn't be older than three or four asked.

"Nope," Cloak said, brusquely, as their little troupe moved on.

"Seriously. What is that pungent odor that was added to this scent?" FuBar said.

A man looked at his coffee cup when heard FuBar, and he dumped the coffee out into a storm drain. Such a waste.

"Desperation, and fear," Cloak identified easily. "The smell is desperation. The creature's consciousness is afraid, and desperate."

"And we're gonna kill it." Shadow said dully.

"Damn straight we are," Parker said, fiercely.

"Careful, Parker," Cloak warned. "People might assume you were infected with the Rachel toxin."

"But you were the only not inoculated," the SPARTAN protested as there continued to track.

"The Rachel toxin is a Dweller-made poison." Cloak said. "It could never survive to make it to my ichor."

"You were affected by the Hate Plague," Parker countered mulishly.

"That wasn't a Dweller-made poison, obviously," Cloak countered easily. Although he questioned his reasoning, how sound his logic was. He said none of this.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:52:24 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4370 on: June 24, 2015, 05:05:13 AM »
Ooh, tensions, tensions.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4371 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
New book ideas.

• Book DCCLXI: "Death Battle!" -- Cloak vs. Indomitus Rex and Dino vs. indomitus Rex.
  • Book DCCLXII: "Indomitus Yellow" -- Two Indomitus Rexes attract unlikely, but unsurprising attention.
  • Book DCCLXIII: "Survivor" -- Shenecron must find a host to incubate in or die.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
Frenzied Flight, Resistance Realization

F1 was wearing a woman in a pantsuit and was at the edge of the suburbs. Beyond was the boundaries into the boonies. F1 wanted to go forward into that place, but it could not make the woman's foot move in that direction. It could not move her beyond the boundries of the city suburbs. It simply could not.

This puzzled it. It had never met with this kind of resistance before, and it looked as if it was a player character meeting an invisible map wall. F1 was sure that the host consciousness wasn't awake and resisting its control. She was still dormant . . .

So why was it unable to leave?

Perhaps it was simply some defect of the body itself. . . . Yes, that had to be it. It simply needed to --

"Auntie Claire!" came a young, whiny voice. "C'mon!"

It was the woman's nephew, Joey Hammond, the son of her brother, that she was supposed to be looking after. He was a thin, lanky boy with sandy blonde hair cut into a bowl haircut. His clothes hung rather loosely and limply from his rather angular frame.

"Auntie Claire! Wait up! Come back here!" he demanded, in his whiny, nasally voice. "Auntie Claire, what happened to you? You look fat . . . what a bratty little human this child is."

F1 was now wearing Joey's body as if it were nothing but a mascot suit with facial mimicry. F1 really didn't like it, likening it to being inside an awkwardly-shaped jungle gym. But that didn't matter if it could leave the boundaries of the --

Nope. Not even within this boy was it able to leave the boundaries of the suburbs. What was happening? Why couldn't it leave these suburbs?

"Those beings are still here," he said, with Joey's mouth. "And if I can't get out . . ."

"What are you talk about?" Claire asked.

"Shut up," F1 snapped with Joey's mouth.

Claire was scandalized and angry at this. "How dare you speak to me like that, Joseph Kennedy Hammond!!"

"Huh?" Joey said, confused and dazed. F1 had left him for an elderly gentleman, who also wasn't able to cross the threshold, despite already being over the threshold at the point of the body-jacking.

"That doesn't make any sense," F1 said, ignoring Claire reprimanding Joey for something that his body did, but he himself did not. F1 didn't care, completely indifferent to the pain and hurt it caused, somewhat intentionally. "This --"

Inside the body of a male security guard, "-- Is --"

Inside the body of a fifteen-year-old girl with curly, red hair, "-- Not --"

Inside the body of a prison guard, "-- Possibly --"

Inside the body of the criminal between the guards, "-- Right!! --"

Inside the body of the other prison guard, "-- There must --"

Inside the body of a female lawyer, "-- Be something --"

Inside the body of a pregnant woman, "-- more to this."

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4372 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
The number of Jurassic references in this one post is unbelievable. ;)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4373 on: June 25, 2015, 02:56:41 AM »
Yep.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
Narrowing the Noose

"Wait," Parker snapped. "Why are you stopping?"

"Easy, Parker," Aquilai said.

"Hilarious, Time Lord." Parker said, waspishly.

"Parker, you need to calm down," Cloak said seriously. "Frankly, this isn't like you to be this bloodthirsty."

Parker mulled over these words, and realized that the Realm Walker was right. He was being bloodthirsty. He had told himself that it was necessary to kill this thing, but it was about the intimate violation, the fear of someone using him (or his body) without his knowledge or permission. Something about it simply rubbed him the wrong way, but he couldn't put his finger on the precise reason.

He was covering up his fear of vulnerability with excess bravado and affected savagery. That was not right for him to do, it was childish. He grew a little angry with himself about it, but soon dismissed it. Being angry at himself was pointless, what was said was said.

"Now," Cloak said, interrupting the SPARTAN's thoughts. They had come to the suburbs which consisted of four or five blocks. "I think we can isolate it to these three blocks."

"That's still a lot of ground to cover," Shadow pointed out. "And Earthsight, in this circumstance, is useless in finding the body-jacker. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't be sticking around in the suburbs. It clearly wants distance, and it may very well not be here at all."

Both valid points. Cloak couldn't help but feel at least a little proud of Shadow for thinking logistically.

"True," Aquilai observed, "but we may be overlooking one thing."

"Which is?" FuBar asked.

"We assume that whatever consciousness resides within the body-jacker is fairly intelligent." the Time Lord said. "That assumption was made without any real evidence to back it up, or deny it."

"Or maybe it can't or won't leave the suburb?" Bladeh guessed.

"What makes you say that?" Parker asked.

"I assume that there aren't as many creature comforts as readily available out in the boonies," Bladeh said, with a feline shrug. "Besides, I can still sense it here. It's not really clear, but it's here, alright."

Cloak and FuBar concurred.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4374 on: June 25, 2015, 03:49:45 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
Dawning Realizations

F1's mounting fear drained the color from the face of the male jogger that it was wearing. It was still trying to cross the threshold. The bodies themselves faced no such barrier, but if F1 inhabited the body they COULDN'T.

"This can't --"

"-- be true." it wore a mailman now.

"I h-have to --" it began as it wore a woman, it's fear leaking into the woman.

"-- T-to leave," it continued as it wore another woman.

"I c-can't . . ." it continued as it wore a male teacher with a noticeable gray beard.

"I c-can't stay here . . ." it continued inside an elementary school janitor.

"They're going to kill me," it cried tearfully inside a young, squirrelly boy. "They're going to kill me."

"I haven't done anything wrong!!" it declared inside an elementary school principal, and continued quiet and breathlessly, "I . . . haven't done . . . anything . . . wrong."

It wasn't exactly true, but F1 certainly thought that.

"Do I deserve death?" it asked from within another young boy. "Do I deserve to die?"

It had gone from abject terror to desperate bargaining.

"Have I no right to live?" it asked, almost heatedly, wearing a crane operator.

It could not get beyond the threshold still.

"Have I no right to be?" it asked, tonelessly, wearing a female teacher.

It tried to beat on the barrier that did not truly exist for its host body.

"Have I no right to exist?" it asked, in tears, wearing a young, thin, blonde boy. It had dropped the boy's body to his knees, and it shook its body with sobs.

"What have I done do to deserve this?" it demanded aloud, wearing a young girl. F1 had dropped her to her knees as well, putting a run in her stocking. She shook the girl's fist at the sky.

Then it shut her eyes, as if in quiet acceptance for the unavoidable, the inevitable.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4375 on: June 25, 2015, 04:22:13 AM »
Great. Now we're getting virus feels.

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #4376 on: June 25, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
Random Question: Do I have to read all the books in order? Is there a countinuity?
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4377 on: June 25, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
There is a general continuity, but mostly only referring events that happened in previous books that get referenced every now and then.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4378 on: June 25, 2015, 02:33:08 PM »
There is a general continuity, but mostly only referring events that happened in previous books that get referenced every now and then.

Well . . . for now. It does get more involved and interconnected, more complex and complicated, in future books, I believe. Remember, I'm outlining Book 452 right now. That's Year 5, and we're still on Year 1 here.

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
Pop! Goes the Virus

Sniff, sniff.

"Smell that?" Cloak said.

"Smell what?" Shadow asked.

"Yeah," FuBar said, in response to Cloak.

"You know what it means, right?"

Bladeh nodded a feline nod, "The consciousness in the body-jacker is scared."

"Scared?" Parker asked. His tone had long lost its bloodthirst.

"It must know," Aquilai said.

"Know what exactly?" Shadow asked.

"Our objective," the Time Lord said, quite seriously. "And our intentions."

"Yes," said a boy with obviously-dyed blond hair. He wore loud parachute pants, red and white hi-tops, a plain pale yellow shirt, and a backwards red ball cap with a yellow brim. His name was Charlie Kelley, and he wore a dour expression. An expression one would expect from an adult, rather than a child. "I'm well aware."

Then another boy, one who wore a long-sleeved shirt with broad horizontal lines on it and gray slacks, bumped him playfully, believing him not to be fundamentally possessed. Charlie's body tensed momentarily as the body-jacker left him for the other boy, Adam Morgan. Adam's playful expression transmuted to a grim one with alarming rapidity. "What have I done? What have I done to warrant such a sentence? I have harmed no one. Everyone is just alive and well as they were when I left them."

"Adam, what are you talking about?" Charlie said, somewhat dazed.

F1 didn't answer him, but continued to address the RAFians. "Do I not have a right to exist? Do I not have a right to be? Do I have no rights whatsoever? Do I --"

Then F1 was transferred from Adam to a girl in a button-dosn blouse, with a heavy parka and red mittens on. Her name was Donna Lewis. F1 continued speaking as if there were no interruption, "-- Have any say in the matter? What about my wants, my needs, my rights?"

But Shadow was picking up on something, "What about the after?"

"The what?" F1 was back inside Charlie now.

"The after," the younger Realm Walker said. "What of the bodies you discard after you tire of them, or after you are done with your ring-around-the bodies schtick?"

"What of them?" it said, dismissively. It was now back in Adam.

"You dismiss them like day-old bread," Shadow said. "Yet you are asking us of your rights."

"You don't have any right to kill me," it said, now back in Charlie.

"You don't have any to judge me for who and what I am," it said, now wearing Donna.

"I cannot believe that I ever felt sympathy for you," Shadow said, revolted by this creature she found abhorrent. "You don't even care, do you? Don't even care if you leave them in a spot worse than when you found them."

"So?" it said, now wearing Adam again. The merry-go-round of bodies was starting to get a little hard to keep track of.

"'So'? 'So'?!" Shadow said, aghast.

But Parker ended the conversation early, by taking the shot when it offered itself. A shot only Parker would be able to make. No one noticed him releasing his armor to cover him. F1 was dead, but Parker took no satisfaction in the kill.

"Parker, you took an awful risk," Cloak said.

"It worked out."

"It was reckless."

"I had the shot. I had the opportunity. I took it." the SPARTAN said, surly. "There was no choice. The body-jacker had to be destroyed. I did what needed to be done, and --"

"And it most certainly took you long enough," a voice spoke.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:28:59 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4379 on: June 26, 2015, 12:20:01 AM »
He took the shot while F1 was passing between bodies? That is next level aim.