Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 590588 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #3465 on: July 15, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
There was a different council in a much earlier book, the slightly Hogwarts-inspired one. That one was a tad sensible... I see it only gets worse with time.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #3466 on: July 15, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
They were eventually corrupted, too. Either that, or the Realm Walker people, being as fickle as we are, ousted them for something worse. All in all, it shows my rather low opinion of politicians.

:edit: New chapter. Dunno if I can post one tomorrow.

CHAPTER NINE:
Decisions

"You are dismissed," Hunger's other head said, as his first one began the process of gobbling down his food. At least, Cloak hoped it was food.

Cloak did not move, but glared at the five of them with his eyes narrowed.

"Did you not hear him? Or are you simply not smart enough to know what was said?" Ripper said, in a rather pathetic attempt to sound scathing. Cloak could still hear some insecurity in the words.

"Oh, my hearing's perfectly adequate to hear all your self-important, self-indulgent tripe." Cloak said disparagingly.

"What? What did you say?" Blot said, with his thick voice.

"You heard me." Cloak said, wearing his scorn open on his sleeve. He turned his back to them, and said, "And I wouldn't get too comfortable in those seats, if I were you."

"IS THAT A CHALLENGE?!" Ripper roared, abandoning the aloof decorum that he hadn't successfully pulled off. His statement revealed himself to be less civilized then he pretended. Cloak wasn't surprised.

Cloak continued to wear his look of utter distain, "Oh, believe me, Ripper . . . it wouldn't be a challenge."

Ripper's anger broke into confusion at this statement, not even comprehending what Cloak was referring to. Then that made him even more angry.

"Besides," Cloak said, resuming his walk to the door, "it's not me that you should watch out for."

On that enigmatic note, and to seven looks of the utmost puzzlement, Cloak strode from the chambers of the Council.

This was precisely why he dwelled in the Prime Universe, he did not like just how corruptable the politics, policies, and politicians were in his homeland. This was true everywhere, even in the realms, he supposed. But not to such a laughable degree.

The Council was always a joke. Ineffectual. Quibbling about stupid, nonsensical stuff while always maintaining the fallacy of Realm Walker thought -- since they came first, they were the best. It was not an ideology that Cloak (and many others) did not subscribe to. Cloak had always been an egalitarian by heart, and was completely unable to see any logic behind such ideals.

If he abided by this crock Council's ruling, he was homeless. He could not, would not go back to his mother's. He would kill himself first. He supposed he could go to his aunt's or his sister Fatih's place, but the two of them were always so busy. And he couldn't be a burden on either . . .

Or he could defy the Council's order, and be labeled a fugitive and criminal. And Realm Walker criminals only go to one place: the Oblivion Gate. It was an awful place, rather like Azkaban, only without the dementors. Each window faced the Oblivion Veil, so the side opposite the Veil was windowless.

. . . What would his grandfather do?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:31:44 PM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3467 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
I sense meditation.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3468 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
Are you peeking at my notes, Saffa? ;)

Now, another chapter.

CHAPTER TEN:
Who Will?

Cloak found a little out-of-the-way area of forest where he felt that he wouldn't have been bothered, and he made a stone seat rise up from the ground. The spot had changed over the intervening centuries and became wild, but it was the spot that Avatar had first proposed to Benign. It was unrecognizable from that time.

Cloak had crossed his legs, so his right heel could touch the left side of his hip and vice-versa. His tail draped over the earthen seat, the tip twitching periodically. He balled his hands into loose fists and touched his knuckles together. Then his shut his eyes, steadied his breathing and . . .

Cloak heaved a deep sigh, and said, "The Realm Walker High Council is not interested in Dweller affairs, or with the Merging of Realms.  And they've forbidden me to act on this.  I'm sorry, but there's nothing that I can do."

He was standing in the forum, with Saffa, Underseen, AniDragon, and Abby standing around him.

Saffa said, "Wait!  Hold on, just a minute!!
You don't lend a hand
When a hand needs lending,
Who will?
"

AniDragon added:

"If you don't help your friends,
Where things are heading,
Who will?
When nothing goes right
And everything's all wrong,
When the days are bitterly cold,
And the nights are very long.
"

Saffa continued:

"If you won't be there
To stand and be strong --
"

She and AniDragon sang:

"Who will?"

Abby sang:

"If you don't risk your neck
When a risk needs takin',
Who will?
If you don't break the rules
When the rules need breakin',
Who will?
You gotta be tough.
"

Saffa sang:

"And forthright and square."

Underseen added:

"You can't hide your head
And pretend you're not there.
"

AniDragon sang:

"If we don't fight for what's right
And what's fair,
Who will?
"

Saffa sang:

"Everyone has a hero,
Hiding deep inside
Waiting to appear.
But there's no time left to hide.
The moment is now.
The place is here!
"

Abby sang:

"Who will
Risk life and limb?
Just to help a stranger?
I will.
"

AniDragon sang:

"Who will
Walk through the dark
Even though there's danger?
I will.
Who will
Stay by your side?
"

Abby:

"And take up your cause?"

AniDragon:

"To give his strength,
To his heart or the laws?
"

Abby:

"Who will be your back up?"

Underseen:

"Your buddy."

AniDragon:

"Your friend."

As they and the forum faded into blackness, they sang:

"We will.
We will.
"

Cloak opened his eyes, aware that the whole event was a vision. His decision was clear now, and made. Cloak got up as the seat sunk back into the ground, which smoothed over immediately. Cloak turned to leave, but then looked over his shoulder. He thought . . .

He thought he felt a benign energy. . . .

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3469 on: July 16, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
Um, no! ;D

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3470 on: July 16, 2014, 08:58:26 PM »
Next chapter, over easy?

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
Going Home

He was going to go back. He was going to go back home. He would die alongside his friends, instead of living with the utter regret of knowing that he abandoned them by giving into people who really had no business in a governing position, a position of power.

So what if they want to throw him in the Gate? He'd at least go knowing in his heart of hearts that he was doing the right thing. That, of course, assuming he survived. The Merging of Realms had only occured once before. Or, rather, it started to occur. The myth surrounding the Merging of Realms said that if it succeeded all matter in the realms would evaporate into nothingness. It would not discriminate between animate or inanimate. And the other Realm Walkers would not tolerate evacuating them Realms. The Nexus was a place for Walkers that Dwellers were not permitted.

No one knew that Cloak had once, due to necessity, snuck Bladeh and Faerie here. But that was two different stories of questionable continuity*. Cloak really didn't care if they knew. He knew that the Realm Dwellers weren't just some icky things that revel in filth and malevolence, as he had not only lived beside Dwellers, but thrived with them. So, these antiquated ideals that many, if not most, Realm Walkers held so dear were nothing more than a gigantic source of irritation for the Elements Master.

Cloak had suspected that the cretinous Council would have posted guards to ensure no one walked the avenue that lead to the realms, like a peninsula. There wasn't any. Cloak had overestimated the Council of criminals, they were much too arrogant and stupid to realize that their "sphere of fear" did not extend to everyone. Such a pity. Cloak had expected more from someone in their positions. Clearly, they did not ascend to those positions on their own.

Cloak looked and found the Prime Universe. Seeing it so red and fiery brough him emotional pain so real it felt physical. He did not know how to stop it. But he did know that it was stopped before. That means it could be stopped again. Granted, Cloak did know know how it was stopped or by who, but that didn't deter Cloak.

He looked at his Mark, thinking of how much it meant to him. Thought of how much simply being a RAFian meant to him. He would not let this Merging come to past.

He recklessly dove headlong into the realm. Unaware that mere seconds later, two individuals showed up. . . .

Malice was pleased with Abominus Five, as she called them collectively. She had sprung them from prison, ensured them spots on the Council (by killing the preceding Councilors with all the stealth and guile of a ninja)**. She didn't give them much information, but knew how to play her cards. She knew that even if he was expressly forbidden to return, he would go anyway. And the threat of being arested and interred in the Gate would keep him in the Realm until its destruction. The plan was perfect.

Then, she supposed, she'll go and find someone else to manipulate. To make miserable. To make the source of her fun. See if they could stymie her. She could walk the Nexus without fear of persecution or prosecution. But she knew it was still within her best interests to stay in the shadows. Even the Abominus Five didn't know it was Malice herself pulling the strings. Malice was being careful as a contingency plan, in case this Council goes south.

* Check out "Intro Randomness" for these tales, although a bit of a retcon since Dagger never was a villain in this continuity, neither was Brute. Because, yeah, at the time, I saw them as villains.

** Before you ask why she doesn't do this with RAFians, like the mods, the truth is she just doesn't want to. She wants to have fu. doing it, and she wouldn't have much fun doing it -- assuming that she even could.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3471 on: July 17, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
Another chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
Back to the Fold

"You're back!" Broken said, genially.

Cloak wasn't too pleased to see the entire realm was still looking like someone decided to redo the entirety of reality in Virtual Boy graphics. But there were far more important things to be concerned with and demanded immediate attention.

"Did you find out what's happening?" Yarin said.

"I found out more than I would have liked," Cloak said heavily. "Gather everyone. I have news, and it isn't pleasant."

"The Merging of the Realms is starting," Cloak explained to the forum at large. "It means that the realms will forcibly and violently merge, destroying all matter within it. And all life within it, as well. Myself included."

Although Realm Walkers in a strictly technical sense do not have mattered, but are essentially solidified, corporeal energy. Hence why when they die they do not leave behind corpses. The cloak they all wear is like matter but not quite the same. It's complicated. The Merging would unleash enough energy equal to hurt any Realm Walker, enough to kill.

"I have defied the Realm Walker Council by returning here," Cloak continued. "They have outlawed Walking. They have closed off the realms to us, but I managed to return due to lax security. They now have criminal sitting in the seats of the Council."

But that's true of any government, Cloak supposed.

"The Merging will end all you know and all that you are. It is why this happening. It is the Time War all over again, but worse."

"What Time War?" Cloak heard donut say in a barely-audible whisper.

But Cloak plowed on without explanation of that particular point. "There is a lot against us. But there is a way to stop this, there must be. Because it has been stopped once before."

"How?" Dino boomed unnecessarily.

"I . . . I confess that I don't know how. But it has been done, so it must be possible."

"How long do we have?" Asmo said, practically.

"I . . ."

"Don't know." Rotiart scoffed snidely. "We're gonna die."

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3472 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
That's one way to look at it.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3473 on: July 17, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
You know Rotiart, Saffa. He always has to be THAT guy.

Short chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
A Fugitive and a Renegade

It wasn't long before the Council wondered if their ridiculous edicts had been followed. They essentially turned the peaceful languidity of the Nexus into something out of RoboCop or the Terminator. A complete police state, though they weren't effectual enough leaders to pull this off perfectly, so it was technically an incomplete police state.

The Abominus Five were foolish enough to think that the populace would just bow to whatever they demand. They were not intelligent enouh to see the Realm Walker people tire of such antics and oppression. No sentient species tolerates opressive regimes like this, and it didn't help that the Abominus Five were actually rather poor at maintaining their sphere of fear and control.

It soon got out that Cloak had openly defied their order. Their direct order. While some thought him a reckless fool for doing so, and potentially putting his family in danger from the monsters in the Council, it was a minority. Many congratulated his decision, though it could have been considered selfish. Many were sure that he had a way, a method for stopping the Merging as the mysterious person did in the previous occurance.

Buffoon came before the Realm Walker people, and presented the Council's declaration on the Elements Master's decision. "The Council declares the Realm Walker known as Cloak a rogue, a renegade, and a fugitive. He is hereby barred from reentry into the Nexus, under the punishment of seventy to a hundred years in the Oblivion Gate, pending immediate transport through the Veil."

There mutters of disbelief and much shaking heads.

"Secondly," Buffoon continued in his foppish manner, "all element manipulation is now outlawed and punishable by immediate transport through the Veil."

There was a major outcry at this. As the only other Realm Walker Elements Master was still a child. Shadow. The Abominus Five were advocating essentially killing a child for being who she was. Faith, Cloak's sister was very concerned about this, naturally. She may not have been an Elements Master herself, but . . . but she was still a mother, and would protect her child by any means necessary.

The really sad thing was that the Abominus Five had no idea just how unpopular these laws, the ridiculous edicts, were but expected the people to follow the oppressive legislation just the same. They expect nothing to come of it, and they acted like tyrants instead of elected government officials. They seemed to have forgotten that last bit.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3474 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
I just swore out loud. :o

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3475 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »
They aren't called the "Abominus Five" for nothing. But just wait . . . they'll get theirs. . . . Perhaps excessively. . . .

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
Too Late to Backpedal

The Abominus Five were slow and stupid, but they were perceptive enough to see that their edicts were unpopular. But they really didn't care. At first. Then they were told that the people had the right to impeach them if the Council made laws that were oppressive and tyrannical. The Abominus Five hadn't even bothered to hide this in their edicts.

There was grounds for impeachment. And the Abominus Five were smart enough to know that their matron would not like it if they got impeached. Though they never met her, each one, even Hunger, feared her. This was the wisest that they ever got.

"Buffoon!" Hunger snarled with both his heads.

"I beg your pardon?" Buffoon said superciliously, not like that that had become his name. Hunger and the rest didn't care.

"Get over here, Buffoon!" Hunger said, as he hastily scribbled down something in Realm Walker script. The other four quickly signed off on it. "Go! Go read this declaration. Now! Now, you fool!"

Afraid that "Fool" would become his new nomenclature, he obeyed at once.

"That should be enough," Hunger told the others. "They should buy that."

"Perhaps we should be more subtle next time." Cutthroat said, fretfully.

"I thought wees was being subtle," Blot said, rather stupidly.

"The formerly presented edicts have now been remanded," Bufoon announced to the populace. "They are now null and void. The Council thanks you for your continued suppor--"

Buffoon was drowned out by the outraged outbursts. A simple political backpedaling was not sufficient to satiate them. They wanted the Abominus Five out of office. NOW.

"They're not going to like this," Buffoon muttered, with a heavy sigh.

A dark figure swept into the Council chamber, and the Abominus Five knew it was their matron. They still didn't know her identity, whereas a child would have figured it out ages ago. She was most displeased with the five.

"You disappoint me," Malice said, coolly. She had some real guts showing up here of all places, though she stuck to the shadows, ninja-like. "The first edict was sufficient enough. It pleased me."

The torches that lit the room went out one by one, until the natural glow of the Five was the only illumination. Malice obscured her own glow with her cloak. The Abominus Five were utterly, utterly terrified.

"But your second one," she continued, voice soft as the finest silk threads, "well, now, that was a big no-no."

"We're sorry, we'll do better!" Blot blubbered stupidly.

"'Better'?" Malice said with breathless, mirthless laugh. "You misunderstand. Your impeachment is inevitable."

"We can . . . uh . . . we can . . ." Ripper stammered, looking for a solution, but one did not materialize.

"You can do nothing." Malice said, as she formed energy blades from her wrists. Energy blades like the one she used to kill Ab. "You five are of no further use to me."

"Please, no!" Hunger pleaded.

Then the chamber erupted in screams. . . .

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3476 on: July 18, 2014, 12:07:15 AM »
That was cold.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3477 on: July 18, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »
Yes, but it's Malice we're talking about here, Saffa. She only tolerated Ab when she needed him, and Mauler is nothing but a mindless tool to her. She believes fear and intimidation is the only way to get what she wants. Possibly another reason she is so focused on me in the stories, because she can't really intimidate me.

Anyway . . . new chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
Unity

"What about Unity Energy?" Goom said, at once, ignoring Rotiart.

Rotiart had decided to tow the Rattrap line, and was certain that their imminent death was all but unavoidable, greatly irritating the other RAFians. Saffa felt like stringing him up by his shoelaces, but instead decided to devote that energy for coming up with a solution. She prompted the Realm Walker, "Well, Cloak? Do you think it could work?"

Unity Energy. It had become their save-all grace. Its full capabilities never exactly fully explored, its limits not readily known or demonstrated. Though Cloak never said it or admitted it, he had become worried about it. Worried that the RAFians, including himself, had become too reliant on it. He knew it did have its limits, as all things do, but he did not know what they are.

"Cloak," Richard prompted.

"He doesn't know," Rotiart said scornfully. He spoke rather like that disrespectful kid in the beginning of "Jurassic Park". "The almighty Realm Walker doesn't know. He descends from on high to mingle with us lesser beings, yet he brings no ways to help us."

"Rotiart, if you donr shut up, so help me, I'm going to --" Saffa said, trying to keep her anger in check. Rotiart was really grinding her nerves of late.

Cloak narrowed his eyes at Rotiart, unaware of where this enmity started, but suspecting why Rotiart felt so hostilely towards him. However, when he spoke, he addressed both Goom and Richard. "Unity Energy may be sufficient to stave off the process for a bit, but I have doubts that it would end it permanently."

"So . . . what now?" Phoenix asked, thoroughly puzzled.

"Uncle . . ." a voice said to Cloak's right, and he looked and found his neice.

"Shadow, wh-what are you doing here?" he said, unaware of the change of power in the Nexus.

"Mom and I need you," she said. "We have to stop the Merging."

Now Cloak was confused.

"Oh, huzzah," Rotiart said tonelessly, "the interdimensional gods will make everything better."

Cloak gave him a withering look. He did not like being compared to a god, for reasons he had not yet disclosed.

"We're all going to die."

"THAT'S IT. Come here, you!" Saffa shouted, having had far too much of Rotiart's juvenile behavior. Rotiart did the only sensible thing. He ran from her as Cloak went with Shadow.

"I suppose that I was wrong," Malice said, eyeing the one-way transparent vial. Within were five spark-like entities. They had fused to become one powerful spark-like energy. "You will be of some use to me, after all. . . ."

Then she laughed a low, insideously maniacal laugh of which Mark Hamill would have been proud. Yes, the spark-like entities were that of the Abominus Five, the deux ex machinas that Malice had captured and experimented, now simply called the Abominus Soul. The name was actually a misnomer, as the spark that was the Abominus Soul had no sentience of its own, it seemed.

And Malice had a plan for it. An awfully nonsensical plan.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3478 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
One day I fear it will go too far.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3479 on: July 18, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
*Eyes Saffa a bit suspiciously, wondering if he should speak anymore on the subject, as an answer either way would be a significant spoiler.*

. . .

New chapter. Bit on the short side. Might hafta end this book before twenty chapters, but I'll let ya know.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
The Technique of Faith

The two Realm Walkers emerged from the Prime Universe, and Cloak was surprised to find it not as red as it was when he first entered. Was the Merging a scare? Did it never really exist?

"Mom, we're here." Shadow said.

It was with another shock that Cloak saw his elder sister, whom he considered to be the wisest and most nuturing of his siblings, was standing before the Prime Universe. She was making movements as if she was waterbending. The stances and gestures very fluid. This confused her baby brother.

"Yes, Shadow," Faith had said. "Now, please help me. I cannot do this by myself for much longer."

Cloak then realized why the forms and stnaces looked familiar. It was exactly the kind of waterbending technique that Unalaq and Korra used to transform Dark spirits back. But Faith was using her own energy, as she couldn't control the Water element. But Cloak didn't know how this would work.

"Uncle! We need your help too!" Shadow said, for she had fallen in step with her mother, move for move. The realms redness had fade into a a deep pinkish blue, but there was still some redness here and there.

He had never thought his sister was so strong. He would have respected her more, if he didn't already respect as much as he was emotionally capable beforehand. He always tended to underestimate Realm Walkers, his family and species alike, it would seem.

Cloak nodded, and fell into step himself. He mimicked the forms, the stances, the fluidity of the movements. He fell into perfect sync with the other two. The realms glowed brighter, more fluidly and less fiery.

But it . . . it still wasn't quite enough. It was frustating knowing that you were almost there, but just out of range. Cloak pored on his power, tapping into the reservoir that he was almost always afraid to tap into.

Then a surge of power from within the realm itself clenched it. It broke whatever was causing the Merging. Made it impossible for it to happen again. What it was nobody knew, but it didn't matter. It was over, it was done, the realms were safe.

For the time being.

(January 7, 2020)