Author Topic: Can we blame Rachel?  (Read 6556 times)

Offline TheFearlessLeader

Re: Can we blame Rachel?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »
you seriously consider that a personal attack??

Wow...I knew there was a reason I hated internet forums.
I went to the window and looked up at the stars. Somewhere up there, around one of those
cold, twinkling stars, was the Andalite home world. Somewhere up there was . . . hope.

<They'll come,> Tobias said. <The Andalites will come. And until then . . . >

I nodded and wiped away my tears. "Yeah," I said. "Until then, we fight."

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:47 AM »
wait...there are non-internet forums? that's new news.

Offline AxTobMarRachCassJa

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 06:25:48 AM »
I know I'm new and all, but you really didn't know there are non-internet forums? People sit down all the time in small groups or even larger groups to discuss topics. They call it a forum. It is true.

By the way, I love the animorphs and I think this site is amazing. I just found it cuz a friend e-mailed me the link!

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 06:48:29 AM »
I have like a bunch of views on this.

You could blame Rachel because she could've said no. 1

You could blame Jake because he asked. 2

You could blame Erek for shutting off the lasers. 3

You could blame Tom's Yeerk for morphing rattle-snake and biting her thus, weakening her and forcing her to demorph. 4 this is one I believe.

You could blame the Yeerk who morphed Polar Bear and killed her. 5 This is one of the ones i believe most.

You could blame Tom for becoming a member of the Sharing. 6

You could blame no one at all because it's JUST A BOOK SERIES!!!!! 7 This one I don't really believe all that much but I just put it up because no one remembered that fact.

You could blame Tobias, Cassie, Marco, or Ax for not figuring out what was going on sooner. 8

You could blame the Ellimist because he didn't bring her back. 9

You could blame Crayak because he's just a jerk. 10

That last one is because he is helping to play that stupid game of life. And he's not on our side.
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »
You could blame no one at all because it's JUST A BOOK SERIES!!!!! 7 This one I don't really believe all that much but I just put it up because no one remembered that fact.
who says? I remembered it, just didn't bother mentioning it here because there were plenty of other threads about the ending and rachel's death.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »
you seriously consider that a personal attack??

Wow...I knew there was a reason I hated internet forums.

And how exactly did your comment address any of my points?  Oh wait, it didn't.  You went after my method of posting...seems pretty personal to me.  You started this, maybe you should just let it die already.  Or maybe you should just be more careful with the things you write.

By the way, I love the animorphs and I think this site is amazing. I just found it cuz a friend e-mailed me the link!

If you haven't already, you should post in the welcome section.  But welcome anyway!

Lol, that's a dangerous thing to say on a site like this.  It's good you don't really believe it... ;D
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
I partly believe it. I believe blame no one, but not because it's just a book series.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »
because it's just a book series.

Yeah, that was the part I was talking about.  Not many people on this site would call it "just a book series"
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
I certainly wouldn't call it that. I would call it a masterpiece! Lol!

Offline tobiasthehawk

• Bleh
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »
She did her duty in my opinion. It was a glorious fireworks filled exit for the one animorph who would of loved it most. In an earlier book I seem to remember Jake saying Rachel would be the only one who would miss the war if it all ended the next day. I really do believe that. And while it is sad that she left her love behind, her best friend and her family. She went down in the only way I see fit for such a fighter of her stature. In the thick of it all and going down swinging. I shed a tear and smiled when I realized her journey was at and end.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."-Stephen Hawking

"I'm sorry, I lost my boots and the legs of my pants in a deadly fight with a giant seaslug, which I won in the nick of time with my clever thinking and my, uh... cleverness."
-- Roger, while procuring pants at the Galleria

[img]http://dragcave.net/image/WL2N.gi

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
She enjoyed the adrenaline rush and the sense of purpose, NOT the combat.  I'm barely restraining myself from saying "DUH!" here.

Almost every single one of the Katherine-written books deals with that balance.  The ghostwriters turned her into a gymnastic shopping Punisher, but that was limited between the books in the late 20's-40's.  That's not Rachel.  That's ghostwriters not paying enough attention to the character they were being paid to write.

Rachel could live without the war.  She'd just have to take up bungee jumping or extreme snowboarding or something as a hobby.

The entire thing with Rachel is that she was a smart, moral, strong-willed kid who was about the one and only person who didn't give a crap about her looks, she didn't even care.  She was pigeonholed into that tall blonde ditzy mallcrawler stereotype, and loved the idea that the Animorphs gave her a chance to reach her potential, to live an IMPORTANT life where she could use that inner strength in the same way Jake could.

There's much more of a nuance there than "Rachel liked beating people up, so she'd go crazy without the war."  That's really really ignorant of basically every single one of the Rachel-narrated Katherine books.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »
She enjoyed the adrenaline rush and the sense of purpose, NOT the combat.  I'm barely restraining myself from saying "DUH!" here.

Almost every single one of the Katherine-written books deals with that balance.  The ghostwriters turned her into a gymnastic shopping Punisher, but that was limited between the books in the late 20's-40's.  That's not Rachel.  That's ghostwriters not paying enough attention to the character they were being paid to write.

Rachel could live without the war.  She'd just have to take up bungee jumping or extreme snowboarding or something as a hobby.

The entire thing with Rachel is that she was a smart, moral, strong-willed kid who was about the one and only person who didn't give a crap about her looks, she didn't even care.  She was pigeonholed into that tall blonde ditzy mallcrawler stereotype, and loved the idea that the Animorphs gave her a chance to reach her potential, to live an IMPORTANT life where she could use that inner strength in the same way Jake could.

There's much more of a nuance there than "Rachel liked beating people up, so she'd go crazy without the war."  That's really really ignorant of basically every single one of the Rachel-narrated Katherine books.

Do I sense a disgust with the ghostwriters?  If so, I share it to some extent.  Rachel is the clearest case of character distortion...
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
No disgust with the idea of ghostwriters helping to write a series, no.  Not ghostwriters in general.  I just feel like the ghostwriters for this particular series didn't live up to the quality of the titled scribed by K.A. and Michael themselves.  Especially with Rachel, but they simplified the other characters a great deal too, almost caricatures of themselves.

Rachel suffered the most in the 30's/40's books, though.  Totally butchered.

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 06:20:47 AM »
yeah i hated the fact that it wasn't all k.a. writing it. the ghostwriters did not do such a great job. i saw a ton of screwups. especially when in one of cassie's books, she says..."we all headed for Cassie's barn.".....uh...Cassie is you! Lol

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 06:25:21 AM »
goin back to  the topic at hand, I really liked how Rachel was brave enough to do the mission. Sure it was stupid, and maybe even kind of pointless. But she was so courageous and brave. She never backed down, which is what I admired about her. Even though Ax was my favorite character, (is that strange?), Rachel was a close 2nd.