Author Topic: Marco fails to save his Mom from Visser One  (Read 757 times)

Offline MikeR

Marco fails to save his Mom from Visser One
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »
First post on the forum. I just read #30 The Reunion, and I can't understand it. Marco catches Visser One in her portable Yeerk pool, and is about to run to his mother, who is locked down five steps away from him. The others stop him. "<Visser One will be back in your mother's head the second she senses any danger>"

Give me a break. It takes a while. We saw when Cassie was a Yeerk in the Yeerk pool how slow and clumsy they are. They have hardly any senses; Visser One wouldn't even know till it was too late. Five steps! All Marco needs to do is put his hand over her ear. Then he can squish a totally helpless Visser One at his leisure.

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Marco fails to save his Mom from Visser One
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 02:15:14 PM »
Honestly it would take longer for her to be able to react before they're able to secure Eva's arms and legs. Unless there's some kind of motion detector on the pool that detects movement within some feet of her. It's the same reason Jake didn't rescue Tom in 31. The author didn't want them to.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

This was a very stupid moment for me too. Then again, most of the ghostwritten books were like that.

Offline MikeR

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:00:55 AM »
Whoa! It just occurred to me: If Marco had destroyed Visser One and saved his mother, his mother would then have had control over a "Nova-class Empire ship" (which appears later in the story under her orders)! Wouldn't the other Yeerks continue to obey her orders? They can't tell that the Yeerk in her head is gone. She could have ordered it to blow Visser Three's blade ship out of the sky! She must know all about the Yeerks' plans, security, everything.

I really think that Marco could have ended the war right there. And given all the times Jake and co. went for super-long-shots, they certainly should have gone for this one.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:11 AM »
I would think the Yeerks would have some way of telling when an escaped host is giving them orders, but then again I'd also expect them to have plans in case controllers ever needed to travel away from the pool as well.

Ani-Master 2014!