Animorphs Section > Animorphs Forum Classic

What kind of creatures are Yeerks?

(1/3) > >>

Yorick Brown:
Are they animals (multicellular organisms that get their energy from other living organisms) or protists (multicellular or eukaryotic unicellular organisms that get their energy from other living organisms or breaking down organic material or making their own food from inorganic energy)?

If animals (and they'd be the only known animals in the kingdom that get their energy from photosynthesis than ingestion and digestion), are they Mollusks? Echnioderms? Annelids?

RYTX:
uh, animals. they take in nutrients other then kandorna (sp) particles, I see it as some micro organisms as well as  vitamins/minerals.
You can't call em mollusk though; that refers to animals that evolved from whatever (it's called a H.A.M. forget the full meaning) that came from earth.
They'd be most similar maybe, but it would be in a phylum of it's own

Edit:
A couple extra years of biology leaves me to state that they are not animals- and cannot be designated as any type of Earth organism.
See other rambles in other threads

morfowt:

--- Quote from: RYTX on August 19, 2008, 12:37:00 AM ---kandorna (sp)

--- End quote ---
just switch the r and o

I'd say animal but I have no idea what the other choices mean so...
and no I don't think they're mollusks. according to the definition of mollusks, mollusks have a muscular foot, often have a hard shell, and often have complex eyes.
don't think they're echinoderms either. echinoderms have a skeleton, and usually have a hard covering.

Liz:
Maybe some kind of fungus.  Don't fungi reproduce by breaking up into little bits, or spores, or something? ~remembers absolutely nothing of AP Biology~

Some kind of fungus-animal?? xD

Or maybe you can't even categorize them into our animal kingdom, because they're not from Earth.

Myitt:
I don't think you can categorize them in any Earth phylum, they're totally alien x3 But I think maybe the closest analogues might be multicellular algae, like seaweed, it photosynthesizes and requires extra nutrients.  Some kinds of single celled algae might also be similar.  They just don't take over anyone's brains....that we know of   ;D  If they do photosynthesize then they probably have some kind of chloroplast-like organelle, not to mention we know they have a brain of some sort, and neurons--so they seem to have a level of cellular organization that's pretty eukaryotic.  So, some kind of sentient multicellular algae/animal hybrid that's totally outside of our classification of both of those groups.

/nerdy talk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version