Author Topic: Word Wars Submissions  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Word Wars Submissions
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
If you played any Word Wars in RAF, and you want to show off your writings or invite critiques, post them here. :)

Here is the result of our last two Word Wars:

Jedi v.s. Zeds - Two against the world
by Estelore
[spoiler]

17 July 2019
Suburbia… the last Jedi outpost after the zeds arrived, not the hotbed of plague we’d come to expect…
The survivalists all fled to the forests, where they were systematically hunted one by one. They learned the hard way that lone wolves don’t last very long in this new world.
They left behind a gold mine… water towers. Processed and canned foods that won’t go bad in a human lifetime. Backup generators and fall-out shelters, first-aid kits, just begging to be raided in the absence of their owners.
We are Jedi Knight Tam Fendasi and Jedi Master Jorilly Koss, marooned here after a mishap during a hyperspace leap out of Dathomir. We were trying to get to Coruscant; so much for that. Earth has its charms, and there is no point weeping now. We are too busy surviving, as so many Earthling humans have comprehensively failed to do.
Now all we have to do is clean up the stragglers, the three hundred or so remaining infected who decided to stay home and wait for the National Guard.  They, their dogs, and any local rodents and raccoons, are all that stands between us and a private utopia, away from contagion, away from the hoardes of looters in the city. This won’t take long.

30 August 2019
We’ve gone from town to town, exhausting the perishable supplies and making caches of the non-perishables, keeping about a week of food and water with us in the back of the Jeep.
There is no shortage of fuel; hundreds of cars sit unused on the side of every highway, their windshields caved inward by something unspeakably strong, a long skid mark on the pavement behind every last one of them. The zeds were just clever enough to trust that Californian instinct: pedestrians are not to be run over.
I don’t want to think how many of these minivans once had children in them. This is endurable only because there are no bodies. The zeds don’t waste any parts. In that sense, we are not so different from them. Even this logbook was taken from an empty residence.

27 November 2019
Winter will be setting in soon for most of the north, and that’s where the zeds will be camped – in the cold, away from maggots and desert-savvy coyotes.
We’re on the last town on this highway. Now we take to the city. We can’t imagine there being anybody left alive, so the zeds should have moved on by now.

12 October 2020
As Jedi, we have a few things going for us that the natives of this planet lacked- the Force abhors the vacuum the zeds create, and powers like Push and Lightning work even better here than they did at the temple on Dathomir.
And we have lightsabers.
Lightsabers have all the best parts of flamethrowers and chainsaws, with none of the serious drawbacks of either.
We severed the suspension cables on the Golden Gate Bridge like they were so much warm butter; it cut off the zeds’ last possible point of infiltration. Just our luck, they can’t swim. The bay area fish have a taste for putrid flesh.
We travel most of the time on tandem bicycle, saving our fuel for the generators which keep us in warm running water and reliable lighting.
We’ve retrofitted the sabers to charge off car cigarette lighters. In the past month we completely drained the batteries of twenty-three SUVs that way. Worth it; probably the first time those gas-guzzling monstrosities actually did something energy efficient.
Roof gardens supply most of our food, now that the perishables are exhausted, as do the birds who remain complacent and uninfected. I am sick of the taste of pigeon. We would try fishing, but we don’t trust the seawater out here to be anything short of toxic, and who knows if the fish themselves are safe from contagion, now that they have a steady food source in those zeds foolish enough to try to take to the water?
I have to admit, I let myself get too attached to the sugary junk food we found in suburbia.

5 December 2020
It’s times like these I’m glad we moved west instead of east. We have ventured back to the Colorado area a couple times, and the snow there convinced us to return to the Mediterranean mildness of the bay area. 
Where there is warmth, there are crops, so we can keep ourselves in food.
Where there is warmth, there are decomposers, and the few zeds we encounter anymore are much more in a shambles than those we’d seen in colder climes.
There was an earthquake yesterday, just a little one, but it blew a water main two blocks south of us, and at least three blocks are now unreliable: the last time we rode through there, we could smell natural gas.
It isn’t too difficult to stay away from the damaged parts of the city, but if there are any more quakes, we will have to leave again. There is no fire department to save us if the city burns, and as close as these apartment complexes are to each other…
Well, we’d just be much better off someplace a bit more sparse for constructions.
Even if no more quakes hit… I think Jory wants us to leave when spring arrives.[/spoiler]
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
Re: Word Wars Submissions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
I am the master at playing word wars.

This is mine: http://www.pastebin.ca/2093892

1218 words in 15 minutes. No one can beat me. ;)

Offline Zendel Ashcroft

Re: Word Wars Submissions
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
My submission from Friday--I think...

This is just a random piece from a project I'm working on

Dye:

[spoiler]Zendel came to in an apartment, not too large, not too small. She was faintly aware of being watched, and quickly found her captor. He was wearing a complete black suit, tight against his body. His head was also covered, and he was wearing a white mask under the eye-holes.

“Show yourself!” She demanded, though she wasn’t as certain as she sounded.

“Fine,” he said, pulling off his head garment. His hair was brown, and his eyes were blue, flecked with green and gold. She could have sworn he looked vaguely like...

She gasped. “Anthony?!”

He smirked. “No, my name is Timothy. Anthony’s my secret twin.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Why am I here?”

He shrugged. “You looked lost. I decided to help. Forgive me for my mistake.”

She pondered her next question, then realized that he couldn’t possibly be Anthony’s twin. She’d never met him before. Secret twin, she reminded herself. “Why haven’t I met you before?”

Timothy sighed, sitting down beside her. “Alas, the great confrontation. When I was a baby, my mom ordered a thief to kill me,” he rolled his eyes, “Obviously, she was stupid, because thieves don’t kill. Instead of doing that, he took me in, and trained me in his ways.”

“That’s horrible.” She spoke softly, not wanting to upset him.

He waved it off dismissively. “Doesn’t matter. About the time you came along, I discovered he was my twin, so I set out to find him, also keeping an eye on you, Rachel. I discovered the gang, and decided to play cat-and-mouse, being a thorn in your sides for a while.”

“Wait - you mean to tell me that you killed Lynn?!” She shrieked, her voice rising a few octaves. “How could you do something like that, you little -”

“Rachel, calm down! I didn’t do it. I’ve been  looking for the true culprit, but I don’t have any leads yet.” He lowered his voice to a whisper. “I really am sorry that she died.”

She bowed her head. “So am I. Anthony blames himself.”

“So, why’d you run away from the gang in the first place?” The question startled her, she hadn’t been expecting it.

“I broke, and told the cops everything about the gang. When Anthony found out, he was livid. He - he told me to go home. That I didn’t belong there.” She paused for a moment. “Then you found me.”[/spoiler]