Author Topic: Invasion of Earth Proposal.  (Read 7268 times)

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
Re: Invasion of Earth Proposal.
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »
But I doubt we would.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

NateSean

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2011, 06:54:24 AM »
By slew of people, do you mean red necks, religious nuts, and other people that are already held in a rather low regard? And would the human race really be so stupid as to screw up First Contact by opening fire on the technologically superior aliens?

You've all ready proven our point by selecting a group of people whose beliefs and life styles you do not share, IE the "relgious nuts and rednecks" and degrading them to make your point.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
What does being a sci-fi nerd have to do with it?

Well as a sci fi nerd, you been exposed to stories where inteligent aliens/cyborgs/holograms/animals/whathaveyous have fought for equal right and were presented in a sympathetic light and been made clear that they deserve them.  A good portion of Americans don't even want to give equal right to humans with a slightly darker skin color (let alone blue fur).

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
     Alright, I think we can say that SOME percentage of the human race will be interested/curious at the idea of first contact and have a peaceful reaction to such a thing. However, you also have to take into account that a much LARGER percentage of the world holds prejudices to one group of people, or more. Some of us will think, "Hey, cool. Aliens have reached Earth. Maybe they can teach us something. Give us a piece of thier technology. We can learn from them and, therefore, grow as a species."

Mankind is prejudiced, violent and paranoid by nature. We kill each other over land, money and minor differences in skin, religious belief and sexual preference. We've had wars started over rather ridiculous reasons. You take powerful world governments like the so called "super powers"--the same nations that have invaded other countries for oil (FREAKING OIL, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!)-- and expose them to aliens, they're most likely going to react in a rather violent way. They'll probably see aliens as they've been portrayed in H.G Well novels and Michael Bay films--bat sh*t crazy invaders that seek no more than to destroy us (ironic, eh?) And our response will be to fight back.

So I'm going to have to side with Newblaze, NateSean and RussianSpy on this one.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Gumby

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
But the point is, the bulk of the people in power will react peacefully. Our world leaders will have to consider the wisdom of dragging Earth into war against a intergalactic empire with superior technology. One Bladeship, a poolship and its fighters couldn't conquer Earth but they could sure destroy major resistance with ease. Our leaders would really have no choice but to go for friendly terms with the aliens.

And keep in mind the general populations reaction to aliens in book 54.

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline General Squall Leonhart

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
uhhhhh dude. TMP just said that the 'super powers' which are the world leaders would react in a violent way. Please stop being so naive in thinking that world leaders want peace because guess what? THEY DON'T!!! If the yeerks appeared, in ANY form, the world leaders would launch countless nukes on them.

You should see my other Gunblade. ;)

Bazing Angel is my Flaming brother.......No, no, no he's NOT gay, just Flaming. :P

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
     Let's cool down this heated debate for a while :P I fear some more caps comments will be used.
Tony's pet Goose.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »
you say that like it's a bad thing :P

Bazing Angel is my Flaming brother.......No, no, no he's NOT gay, just Flaming. :P

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »
If you remember the book their WERE ANTI ANDALITE TERRORISTS! They even blamed them for taking the ship that they used.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Gumby

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »
uhhhhh dude. TMP just said that the 'super powers' which are the world leaders would react in a violent way. Please stop being so naive in thinking that world leaders want peace because guess what? THEY DON'T!!! If the yeerks appeared, in ANY form, the world leaders would launch countless nukes on them.

He said so? So he's right? All those governments fight each other on rather even odds when they do. they don't do stupid things like say, going to war with someone many times more powerful than you. The world leaders have an opportunity to gain massive amounts of technology, knowledge and whatnot that would massively benefit all of mankind. And you think their immediate reaction would be to not only get Earth into a war with a vastly more powerful alien race, but screw up first contact and making mankind look like the ****s of the galaxy? Unless our world leaders turn stupid, I don't think they would.

And BTW, of course there would be opposition, some violent. But nowhere near the scale you are hypothesizing.

Another thought I've considered is that the humans would be so busy arguing about the Yeerks, they wouldn't end up taking any action. Isn't democracy great like that?

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2011, 02:02:06 AM »
 :facepalm: you know what? screw it. I'm done with this because you continue to be naive.

NateSean

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
     Let's cool down this heated debate for a while :P I fear some more caps comments will be used.

Agreed. It was cool to debate the merits of peaceful vs aggressive invasion as that was the topic of the thread. But if you have to resort to high school debate team tactics then don't even bother getting involved.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
Yes, our world leaders would be likely to do something stupid.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Gumby

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
:facepalm: you know what? screw it. I'm done with this because you continue to be naive.

Please enlighten me.

And angel, why would our leaders do something this stupid?

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
     Because they've done so in the past.
Tony's pet Goose.