Author Topic: Tobias and Nothlitism  (Read 9612 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Tobias and Nothlitism
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
     We all know that Tobias had an unhappy life, and that he found an escape as a red-tailed hawk. We also know that, despite his desire for freedom, he was disturbed by his being trapped in morph; the eternal struggle involved in overcomming the hawk's instincts, the disgust he felt after making his first kill, etc. And, of course, we know that Tobias eventually becomes comfortable with his life as a hawk, and even starts to consider himself as being more hawk than human (let's not even start with the whole Andalite thing).

Now, here's a question that has probably surfaced on this board already: did Tobias willingly trap himself as a hawk, or was it an accident?

This is one of those, "maybe he did, maybe he didn't", pure speculation sort of questions, where Animorph fans of all shapes and sizes debate over Tobias' ultimate decision. And there are sound arguments for both sides.

You could look to such examples as the Encounter and the Change--the first two books narrated by Tobias-- and say that he "accidentally" trapped himself in morph. We notice in book one that Tobias has little interest in keeping track of time when in hawk morph, but he also tries to kill himself in the third book, and is greatly disturbed when the Ellimist "tricks" him in book thirteen. And he constantly refers to himself as being jealous of his friends being able to lead normal lives, and their abilities to morph.

You could also look to the later books, where Tobias becomes more comfortable with his new life as a hawk. You could say that Tobias was so unhappy with his life that he preferred the life of an animal to his own life. The whole argument raised in the first book would support the theory that Tobias purposely trapped himself in morph to escape. Tobias never gives us his recount of the first invasion of the Yeerk Pool, so we don't really know whether or not he just lost track of time. And it's also made very clear early on in the books that Rachel was Tobias' only link to humanity. After Rachel died, Tobias completely succumbed to the life of a red-tailed hawk.

But there's that nagging exchange between Ellimist and Tobias in the thirteenth book. It's implied that Tobias only wanted his morphing powers back, and the ability to morph back to his human body for two hours at a time. It's implied that Tobias was keeping this little fact hidden from himself, based on the Ellimist's response. And, based on the events of this book, we're to assume that Tobias trapped himself intentionally.

I think that Tobias did trap himself intentionally, but he didn't exactly know what he was bargaining for. Sure, the allure of trapping oneself as a hawk--being able to fly and the freedom that comes with flying--sounds appealing enough, but Tobias obviously didn't consider the fact that he'd have to LIVE as a bird permanently. He would only spend two hours in a hawk body at any given time before being trapped, so the hawk's instincts were pretty easy to overcome, theoretically. He was so unhappy with his life that he sort of took things like going to school, eating,and human contact for granted.

But that's just one person's opinion. What do you people think?
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Tobias and Nothlitism
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
I'm firmly of the belief that Tobias did it on purpose.  Two critical bits of evidence point me to this conclusion.

Point 1: Book 1.

Are we seriously meant to believe that an elephant, a tiger, a gorilla, and a horse were all able to escape the Yeerk pool, yet a hawk could not sneak out amid the chaos without being seen?  Sorry, not buying it.  I think, if he really wanted to get out, he could have easily.  Maybe he couldn't make up his mind about it until the chaos had subsided, and by then it was too late.  But it seems to me that he only wanted to use the Yeerk pool as an excuse to be trapped.

Point 2: Book 13.

As you already pointed out, in Tobias's exchange with the Ellimist, the Ellimist asked him if he knew what he wanted, and, if he got it, would he still know?  This seems to imply that the Ellimist actually did give Tobias what he wanted, even if Tobias himself wasn't consciously aware of it at the time.  In other words, Tobias wanted to be a hawk.

But that's just my personal opinion.  You're absolutely right, that there is plenty of evidence on both sides of the argument.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:57:42 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
I like to think that he considered it, and did it on purpose. However, he didn't really think everything through. He began to regret it after the fact, and it all sank in by the time the third book rolled around. hence why he had the panic attack, and wanted to kill himself. Some people say he's all wangsty in that book, but it's still realistic. The full consequences of his actions didn't really hit him until then.

Personally I believe it would have been better for Tobias to live as a hawk than a homeless kid on the street. People would have started asking questions, and God forbid his uncle actually found him. That's why the Ellemist did what he did.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
I always thought it was pretty evident he did it on purpose, even if it was somewhat an unconscious decision at the time.

Plus here's a "deleted" scene from book 50 that I saw once:
[spoiler]The blind red-haired girl who had been observed on infrared camera talking to Jake and Rachel had escaped. Before the Yeerks could come back for her, she'd simply walked out of the facility in Rachel morph.

Jake had sent Tobias to look for her. He'd spotted her from the air and brought down a sparrow -- live -- for her to acquire. Then he led her back to the camp. They were waiting for us when we returned.

Her name was Elena. She'd stay with Marco's parents.

Elena's sight had not been restored. And she was in some pretty major shock. But she'd shown a lot of guts and a lot of resourcefulness.

Her parents lived out of town and only visited on weekends. How the school would explain her absence, we didn't know. It was something we'd have to worry about later.

And the original six of us?

I couldn't explain. Because I didn't understand it myself. All I knew was that at the time, it had seemed so clear. Letting Tom take the morphing cube had seemed absolutely the right thing to do.

But now, I didn't know why. I couldn't explain what I'd done because it wouldn't make logical sense. So I lied.

"I was afraid, Jake. I was scared he'd shoot me."

Jake looked at me with disgust. Like he knew I was lying, but couldn't figure out why.

I felt depressed and heartsick.

I'd made a decision. And the decision I'd made had changed the dynamics of the war forever.

Decision!

I'd acted on an impulse. A stupid, emotional, naive and sentimental impulse.

I'd wanted to protect Jake. And the result was that I'd put millions of people's lives in jeopardy. And made Jake hate and distrust me.

Jake walked away from me.

It seemed like I was seeing a lot of Jake's back lately.

I heard the rustle of feathers and Tobias landed on a nearby branch.

<Relationships are hard,> he said quietly. <I don't know how humans bear it.>

It took a moment before the significance of his words sank in.

Tobias no longer considered himself human.

That's when I knew. Knew for certain that Tobias had deliberately trapped himself in morph.

The life of a human had been too painful for Tobias. So he'd decided to leave it behind.

Why? What was wrong with us. As a race? As a species?

Why, with all our gifts and our resources and our intellect -- why couldn't we figure out how to make life wonderful for each other?

Why were there rehab centers and clinics and hospitals full of ignored and neglected kids and adults? People who were just as brave and strong and willing to contribute as anybody else.

Why did people spend so much time trying to hurt each other and so little time trying to help each other?

Why did people spend so much time trying to take things away from each other instead of giving?

If the Yeerks won, would life on this planet really be that different?

Jake interrupted us. His voice was cold, his tone icy.

"Tobias. I need you. There's something we have to do. Just you and me. Nobody else."

Jake and Tobias left the camp. Jake as falcon, Tobias as hawk.

I followed them anyway.

I followed Jake and Tobias through the dark night.

They went to the rehab center, as I knew they would. Slipped through James's open window.

About a half hour later, they flew back out and winged toward the camp.

I sat in a tree, watching the rehab center. Waiting. Hoping.

Twenty minutes later, two red-tailed hawks came flying out the window, their wings beating the air. One leading the other.

Jake had not forgotten his promise.

Silhouetted against the moon, James and Pedro stretched out their wings and soared up up up. And disappeared into the clouds.

James would see to it that they were back in their beds before they were missed.

He was a leader.

He was responsible.

He was focussed.

But he was still human.

And he was still humane.

Like Jake.

And like me.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:42:32 PM by 11:11 »
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »
Yeah, there was that. I believe it was deleted because it created a plot hole where they still had the box to give Pedro the morphing ability.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:18:29 PM »
I like that that scene tied up some loose ends (Elena and Pedro), but seriously, I love #50 but the single-sentence paragraphs at the end of the book are frigging horrible.

Offline songofsuzanna

• Haunting the Sacristy; a blog
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
For some reason, it never occurred to me that he trapped himself on purpose.  I just kind of rolled with the idea that it was an accident.  But as I think about it, it makes perfect sense that he did it on purpose without having thought it all the way through.  And I think if he were to ever have chosen to go home and stay that way, he would have to choose to stop running, or "flying", away.  Even though Tobias seemed really strong in terms of giving advice, he was horrible in following that advice himself.
Please click! --- >  

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory." -- Steven Wright

"Oat-FREAKING-Meal!" -- Marco

Offline Morilore

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:16:18 AM »
As I recall, Tobias morphed to hawk way too soon in #1, and Jake yelled at him for it.  I don't think you can slap the label "on purpose" or "accidental" on something like this.  Tobias made a number of choices deliberately, and sometimes, at crucial moments, the momentum of the choices you've made up to that point carry you over a precipice without you really having much control.  The idea that he trapped himself on purpose didn't come up in the series until much later, and I think it figured most prominently in The One Where Taylor Returns, which was all about Tobias's mind being messed up.

Now, as for #13: the interpretation that seems most elegant to me is that the Ellimist sensed that what Tobias wanted most of all was a choice.  Having a choice is the opposite of being trapped.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
     Interesting point.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Andalite_Shorm

• deviantART
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 06:26:26 AM »
Come to think of it, this thought struck me too, but only for a second. I always thought, "Hey, couldn't he just have morphed in the rocks on top of the ceiling?"
I think he probably did, surly there was somewhere he could have morphed and re-morphed safely?

Offline kcool12

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
I kind of always thought that the space he hid in was the right size for a hawk, but too small for a human. So even if he wanted to, he might not have been able to.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Tobias and Nothlitism: the Pros and Cons of Being a Bird...
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
     Ax has shown a lot of disdain for nothlits in the series--with the exception to Tobias, though that was only because Tobias is his shorm. But I was wondering if nothlits were really something to be pitied at all.

Sure, Tobias had some issues with his being trapped in morph, but it is debatable that he intentionally trapped himself in morph.

David doesn't really count, since he had no say in his becomming a nothlit.     

Aldrea intentionally trapped herself for her own reasons. And Arbron found purpose after being trapped as a Taxxon.

And I imagine that there are a lot of people who feel uncomfortable in their own skins. If one of these people were to acquire the Escafil Device and become able to morph as a way to escape--like Tobias, Aldrea or any of the Auxiliary Animorphs-- I think they would probably intentionally trap themselves in a more preferable form; as opposed to living out an existence they're uncomfortable with.

Now I'm not talking about some skinny runt who acquires a sufer dude chick magnet to attract some ladies that he would never get in his own body. I'm thinking about people like the disabled, homosexuals/transexuals, etc. In this case, you cant pity someone for wanting to live as a bird, or a lion, or a member of the opposite sex.

But the point of this thread is to list the pros and cons of Tobias' situation; and maybe nothlitism in general.

I'll post the first one: He can morph/demorph in public without owrrying about a Controller discovering his identity.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Lincoln

• I'm the brown one on the left.
Re: Tobias and Nothlitism: the Pros and Cons of Being a Bird...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:24:22 AM »
A definite pro would be he's able to fly.
I guess a con would be that he can't make facial expressions...
Sorry. I'm bad at this.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying."--Groucho Marx
"Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."--Albert Einstein

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
     Pro: He doesn't have to worry about money, work or school.
     Con: He can't have a real relationship with another human being.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

NateSean

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
Pro: When his hawk body gets to old, he can chose to morph into any other species (even another, younger red-tail if he so chooses) and become trapped again.

Con: Back to square one and the Ellemist all ready bailed him out once because he was needed.