Author Topic: Animorphs Theory: Why There Are So Many Humans  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
Animorphs Theory: Why There Are So Many Humans
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »

Ok recently on a conversation with somebody on MSN, the subject of Animorphs came up (as it almost always does) and this led in turn to the discussion of why there are so many humans. It's stated, though not explicitly, that humans are the only species the Yeerks know of who are that numerous. This led me to believe that sex was a potential factor for why there were so many humans in the Animorphs universe. Why? Think about it: Even those who haven't experienced it know that it's, er, fun, to say the least, and in real life WE are the only animals who mate for pleasure. So, why not here too? It also makes you wonder about the mating habits of other species. I think the Andalite tail and Hork-Bajir blades would get in the way, though I believe that Taxxons are probably hatched. We already know how Yeerks are born. So... thoughts?

NateSean

Re: Animorphs Theory: Why There Are So Many Humans
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
Well, yeah, humans are prolific breeders which makes them ideal hosts for the Yeerks. The Yeerks only need three to create thousands of babies. A man can have children from puberty to death. And a human woman can have as many as twenty children in her lifetime assuming she starts from puberty and has no complications along the way.

I think this a discussion that could get very graphic fast, so without trying to sound like I'm backseat moderating, lets just keep the mechanics out of it and stick with the most superficial details.

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

Ok sure. It was never my intention to do that.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
Dolphins mate for pleasure as well.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
Erm... I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here? It's obvious why there are so many humans in the Animorphs universe because the majority of it takes place on Earth. And there are 6 billion humans.

Well, yeah, humans are prolific breeders which makes them ideal hosts for the Yeerks. The Yeerks only need three to create thousands of babies. A man can have children from puberty to death. And a human woman can have as many as twenty children in her lifetime assuming she starts from puberty and has no complications along the way.

More actually.  :-X The world record for most children born to one couple is some thing like 60 kids (er... approximately. I don't remember the number.) Just about every pregnancy was multiple-births.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »

I think this a discussion that could get very graphic fast, so without trying to sound like I'm backseat moderating, lets just keep the mechanics out of it and stick with the most superficial details.

Well said, on both accounts.

Hork-Bajir weren't part of evolution, they were created by the Arn. As such it's unlikely that they have been around long enough as a species to become incredibly numerous. We also know that their life span is shorter than ours, and it's quite possible that the Arn purposely put a limitation on how fast they would breed, in order to prevent over population. There's also the virus that the Andalites used to decimate the Hork-Bajir population, so it would've taken a long time to recover their numbers.

Taxxons were implied to be numerous, and we can make an educated guess that they breed in a similar fashion to Earth insects (producing massive numbers of young to make sure a small number of them will survive). As well as any natural threats they may have originally faced before the Yeerks showed up, the fact that their entire race are cannibals would have severely limited their numbers.

Gedds are mostly a mystery, but we know that they weren't very intelligent and that their physical forms were far from ideal. This would most likely mean that they were vulnerable to predators, disease and death by other natural causes common to non-sentient (or barely sentient) beings.

The Yeerks may only have one Andalite host, but let's cover them anyway. Obviously due to their tail blades they no longer have to fear predators, and their advanced technology greatly decreases the number of natural deaths. However, they live in small groups spread out over huge areas, which essentially prevents mass breeding.

Andalites are very traditional in many ways, perhaps indicating that they don't allow children to be born outside marriage. We know that they are very ritualistic, and that as well as morning and evening rituals, they practice a wish-flower ritual in preparation for the birth of their children (possibly suggesting that children cannot be born/conceived until the ritual is complete?)

Admittedly some of that is speculation. However, Elfangor himself tells us at the start of Andalite Chronicles that the Electorate had recently voted to allow more children to be born. Due to the ongoing war with the Yeerks, they said that possibly 3 or 4 children might be allowed per family. This would seem to indicate that it was very rare (perhaps even illegal) to have more than one or two children.

In conclusion, it's pretty clear that in the Animorphs universe, a sentient species as numerous as Humans is highly unusual. We have a high birth rate and since we are highly adaptable, we have been able to spread across the planet so that we appear less crowded (It's implied in Andalite Chronicles that humanity's habit of adapting to a wide range of living environments is unique).
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

NateSean

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

Ok sure. It was never my intention to do that.

No big deal. But there are people who would take it in that direction so I thought it would be a good idea to mention it.

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »

Ok cool. And to Trendy Toes, it was mentioned in the Animorphs universe (or at least hinted at strongly) that humans numbering in the billions was something not seen very often, possibly rarely, and as such I was trying to come up with an explanation for why (in the Animorphs' universe, at least) there are so many when other races are not.

Offline Morilore

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:55 AM »
Our civilization works because small numbers of humans produce much more food than they need, creating a surplus that enables the remainder to labor in other ways.  This extra labor increases the sophistication of technology and society, which combined with the food surplus enable a much greater population density for modern humans than for our hunter-gatherer ancestors.  Andalites, on the other hand, presumably need a certain square acreage per person, period.  Those are the only two real examples of technological civilizations we have in the Animorphs universe, excepting Leerans and Iskoort, about which we know very little.

We know in the real world that current human breeding habits are unsustainable - our planet can't support ever-increasing numbers of humans.  The idea floated through my head awhile ago that many technological civilizations in the Animorphs universe go through a stage where they cause severe damage to their home planet's natural environment, after which the lesson of population control sinks in but good.  This meshes with the idea of the Andalite "age of cities" Elfangor alludes to in the Andalite Chronicles.  Such a period would probably severely reduce a planet's natural biodiversity, explaining why everyone in the Animorphs universe thinks Earth is so special: the Yeerks were lucky to find us at the point that we were technologically advanced enough to be numerous, but before the mass extinction we cause reaches its culmination.