Author Topic: You confuse me Ellimist, you really do!  (Read 1170 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
You confuse me Ellimist, you really do!
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »
In The Andalite Chronicles, it is implied (either by Elfangor or the Ellimist, I don't remember) that having these six time lines converge with one another was absolutely essential for the war to be won, which implied to me that the absence of any one of them would have been enough to fail. That's why it was so essential that Elfangor needed to go back to his original time line - that was the only way that the integral six Animorphs would eventually meet.

So, no, I don't think that the war would have been winnable without Ax, for this and probably many other reasons.

I took the above from a thread about wether the Animorphs would have done as well if Ax had never arrived on Earth. This was the last thing posted, and it got me thinking--but not for the first time.

If these six lines were ESSENTIAL to winning the war--and we're told that these "lines" are Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco and Ax-- then WHY on Earth are we told that Jake and Rachel were "accidents" and not meant to have been in the war? What the hell is that about?

I get the whole "Ellimist chose Marco, Cassie, Tobias, and Ax" thing, because of their involvement in the war, but leaving out Rachel and Jake--claiming that they could have been replaced by any other kids-- just pretty much contradicts the whole theory. What...the Ellimist ran out of options for his game pieces and said, "What the hey?" Rachel and Jake were just "at the right place, at the right time?"

Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline MoppingBear

Re: You confuse me Ellimist, you really do!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:23:47 PM »
They were the ones that held the others together.  Cassie was Rachel's best friend, Marco was Jake's.  Tobais was just a tagalong to Jake, but may well have not gone through the construction site without Rachel there.  Without Cassie, Tobias might have just wrote off the water dreams as just dreams, and they never would have found Ax.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
I think the idea is basically that Ax, Tobias, Marco and Cassie were all the Ellimist's picks, born out of situations the Ellimist devised way ahead of time, and Jake and Rachel were sort of wild cards, where he needed another two to round out the team. But because of who they were, and how they factored into the team, they made the difference between winning and losing.

I don't think the Ellimist was saying that they were 'accidents' as in they shouldn't have been in the war. I think he sort of randomly chose them, not for any specific reason but because they were there, and because of who they were it turned out they were essential to winning.

Offline Semeir-Cooraf-Armaheen

• <No fear.>
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »
^ This.

Maybe the rules of the "game" meant the Ellimist couldn't pick the whole group. They just happened to be in the right spot. Like in a game of chess where somebody moves their queen to take out a knight, and mistakenly puts her right in the path of your rook. Even if using the rook means it gets jumped by a pawn, it was still in the right spot at the right time to take your opponent's major piece out of the game.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:20:49 PM »
     Yea, I never understood chess. The queen and king can be taken by any old piece? Why do certain pieces move is specific ways?
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Semeir-Cooraf-Armaheen

• <No fear.>
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I don't know the rules for why they move. It's just how the game is played. I'm no guru, I just know how to play, and I'm not great at it XD

Besides, if pawns could move like the queen, the game would be less challenging.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »
     Maybe the Ellimist and Crayak created chess in the Animorphs universe :P That's why only geniuses understand how to play.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
Any time you have either time travel or knowledge of the future, causality becomes weird.  Did Ellimist choose because the lines converge, or do the lines converge because Ellimist chose?  How do you tell when "before" and "after" don't mean a whole lot anymore?
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 12:53:01 AM »
Any time you have either time travel or knowledge of the future, causality becomes weird.  Did Ellimist choose because the lines converge, or do the lines converge because Ellimist chose?  How do you tell when "before" and "after" don't mean a whole lot anymore?

Well when the Elimmist took Elfangor from his human life and showed him the convergence, it was an alternate timeline, so the Elimmist chose because the lines converged in another universe, which may well have converged because the Elimmist chose in our universe...