Author Topic: Animorphs on Wikipedia  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
Animorphs on Wikipedia
« on: November 11, 2010, 05:45:14 AM »
Hello again, everyone. I wanted to direct your attention to the articles about Animorphs characters on Wikipedia. This includes the six main Animorphs as well as any series characters who have their own article as detailed in the "Animorphs" navigation template: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Animorphs
Until recently, they weren't all looking that great. I added infoboxes, compiling information, and gave each infobox (character) a picture. This meant either revealing a picture that had been hidden due to "lack of fair-use rationale" (I made rationalizations for the deletionists), or finding and uploading new pictures. Check it out!

While we're on the topic of Animorphs on Wikipedia, what I'd like to do next is upload the pre-re-release images of the new lenticular covers of Books 1 and 2 to Wikipedia, as well as write more information about the upcoming re-release, along with a proper Scholastic-based citation or two. Anybody care to help me here? If not, I'll get it done sometime in the next month.

Anyway, please let me know what you think of my infobox job!

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
Re: Animorphs on Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:58 AM »
I've checked, and that's great! Good job ^^  :thumbsup:
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »
That's cool! Good job!

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
Thanks, guys! I'm glad you like what I've done. Finding pictures for Erek and Eva was a bit hard, though, and I only wish that Toby had been officially depicted at some point. All of the official Hork-Bajir illustrations were of males (three head blades), and none of them were of females (two head blades).

I guess this is fair because the Hork-Bajir on the cover of book 34 (The Prophecy) is Jara Hamee, and Dak Hamee is on The Hork-Bajir Chronicles. In other words, David Mattingly and Romas Kukalis never had to illustrate Ket Halpak or Toby Hamee. But surely one of the Hork-Bajir to the left of Cassie/Aldrea in http://www.scholastic.com/animorphs/download/34hork.jpg was Tobias as Ket Halpak, right?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:18:15 PM by Dogman15 »

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:40:22 PM »
Hey Dogman, fantastic job with the wikipedia page!

The three Hork-Bajir on the ground are all males, so they couldn't be Ket Halpak...unless you mean the one climbing the tree, which looks like it could conceivably have two head blades instead of three.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:26:57 AM »
Hey Dogman, fantastic job with the wikipedia page!

The three Hork-Bajir on the ground are all males, so they couldn't be Ket Halpak...unless you mean the one climbing the tree, which looks like it could conceivably have two head blades instead of three.
Thanks, Hanukkah-stealing Yeerk! I've been making minor tweaks to Animorphs-related articles on Wikipedia since then, as I see fit. I haven't bothered to see if there was some sort of organized task force for Animorphs on Wikipedia (like there is for Pixar), but I'll look when I get the chance.

And yeah, without an actual copy of #34 in my hands, I can't really tell if that one Hork-Bajir on the left tree was supposed to be female. Despite the three closest Hork-Bajir (3 of the Animorphs) having three head blades, how can you be sure that they were all intended to be male? Is Tobias "off-screen"?

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:37:07 PM »
     Is Tobias "off-screen?"
     Brother, Tobias is ALWAYS off-screen. He's the most underrated of all the Animorphs.

I appreciate what you did on Wiki. Nice job.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
I just pulled my copy of #34, and it looks like they're all male (the males had only 3 blades, and that's the only way the series explains about being able to tell).  Probably just the artist, David Mattingly, being lazy -_-

Welcome to RAF, by the way! ;D  Usually my name is "Myitt", like my + it.  And you can also call me Tara :)

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
     I was wondering if you were planning on putting up pictures of the actors on to their wiki profiles. If you check the Christopher Ralph official site, they have images from the show (but I don't know if you could legally use them, what with copyright, etc.), but they're there if you're interested.

One thing that always bothered me was that David was never depicted by the author, or shown in the tv series, so we just have the covers for a reference to him on the wikipedia page (not that what you put up was bad; it's just that I really wanted to see what this kid looked like.) If only K.A. gave us SOME sort of clue, or a book with David narrating. Oh well. Maybe we could crop out a pic of a white rat (the solution cover) and use that for the profile image.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 08:25:20 PM »
     I was wondering if you were planning on putting up pictures of the actors on to their wiki profiles. If you check the Christopher Ralph official site, they have images from the show (but I don't know if you could legally use them, what with copyright, etc.), but they're there if you're interested.

If I or another Wikipedia editor (which is anybody) wanted to use images from the TV show to show how the characters were depicted on the TV show, they would just have to upload a screenshot and give it a fair use rationale. Edriss 562/Eva, Erek King, and Tom Berenson already have TV screenshots for their pictures, mainly because those are the only official depictions of their faces. Alloran/Esplin 9466 has a secondary picture from the TV show, to show the bad rubber forehead alien costume.

Uploading images to Wikipedia is easy. You can do it if you want to give it a try.

One thing that always bothered me was that David was never depicted by the author, or shown in the tv series, so we just have the covers for a reference to him on the wikipedia page (not that what you put up was bad; it's just that I really wanted to see what this kid looked like.) If only K.A. gave us SOME sort of clue, or a book with David narrating. Oh well. Maybe we could crop out a pic of a white rat (the solution cover) and use that for the profile image.

DeviantART user "Expression" did a great drawing of David, and I encouraged him/her to upload that for the David article. They said that they might at some point in the future. I have a copy of it on my computer, so if I played my cards right and chose the right rationales, I could theoretically upload his/her David image for the David article. Some person already uploaded a public domain image of a plain human eyeball colored red for the "Crayak" article. I'm thinking that he deserves better than that. Lastly, I'm working on a secret sandbox offshoot of my user page that is related to Animorphs... Shh! It's not really public, but I'm giving visitors to this thread the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dogman15/Sandbox

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »
     I appreaciate the response. I was thinking more of a less-cartoony interpretation of David. Unless I just looked up the wrong Expression on deviantart.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:40 PM »
http://fav.me/d2mdl6t

That's the one. I cut out David's box and saved it to my hard drive. I think, in lieu of anything else, this would be the best image for the David article. There's nothing official, and in my opinion, it's the best-quality fan art of David I can find anywhere. (Her Crayak image is pretty good, too.)