Author Topic: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!  (Read 13838 times)

Offline TinShadowcat

• War Eagle
Re: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »
Exactly. The Yeerks are evil Creatures, And the existence of a small peace faction should not matter
Xbox 360:  TinShadowcat
Steam:  TinShadowcat
Pretty much anything you want to add me on:  TinShadowcat

Offline Vivi9087

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:51 PM »
Well he had a choice.  But put yourself in his position.  You just condemned your cousin, your plan is falling apart around you, you just witnessed half your team destroyed (James and the others) and you really really need to hurt the enemy right then.  In that same position would you have let the creatures responsible for causing all of this pain and chaos, thrusting you into a fight you didn't want any part of, live?

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2008, 08:40:47 PM »
Yorick, I do understand where you are coming from. But honestly, "saving humanity" can be applied to ANYTHING.

I mistrust the Yeerks. I don't agree with what they do, BUT THEY ARE NOT EVIL!. Someone else made this point, but would you hurt a lion for eating an antelope? A wolf for eating a fox? Its the same argument.

As for Jake being on trial, what he did was still a crime. He didn't have a choice, which is why I don't think he should be found guilty, and he DID save humanity from the Yeerks... its just, when you pose a statement saying "He shouldn't have gone on trial, etc." (obviously paraphrased)... I kind of have to respond.

The power of the law should be more powerful than any one man. Yes, Jake helped humanity, yes, Jake saved the world, yes, Jake is our savior... but the minute we say someone is ABOVE the law, EVERYTHING loses credibility.

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »
Exactly. The Yeerks are evil Creatures, And the existence of a small peace faction should not matter

This quote is like saying that all Germans living from 1933 - 1945 are evil, because they were part of a nationalistic cult that tried to kill everyone that wasn't like them, and that peace factions like The White Rose, Oscar Schindler, the Righteous Among the Nations, etc, should not matter

Offline Vivi9087

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »
The power of the law should be more powerful than any one man. Yes, Jake helped humanity, yes, Jake saved the world, yes, Jake is our savior... but the minute we say someone is ABOVE the law, EVERYTHING loses credibility.

Got a valid point there Leo.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
What choice did Jake have??? What about all the humans he saved in the process???
there's always a choice. not a good choice, but a choice.

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
I'm not saying that Jake and the animorphs and the entire resistance should have ignored the Yeerk Peace Movement. Whoever survived can go ahead and become nothlits for all their efforts but you can't blame Jake for killing a few good Yeerks that he had no way of removing from harm while trying to end the war. Jake had to choose between the entire human race or a few Yeerks.

I also hate how everyone here is so forgiving of the Yeerks after the invasion. Okay. Yeerks aren't all bad but you wouldn't expect and certainly blame a 1940s holocaust survivor to say to a German Nazi or even just an antisemetic German citizen, "I understand. You were scared and angry and poor and looking for a scapegoat." So why do you say, "It's water under the bridge. If I was senseless I'd like to capture a good host with vision and hearing and all that even if it is against their will"???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:25:21 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline TinShadowcat

• War Eagle
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »

This quote is like saying that all Germans living from 1933 - 1945 are evil, because they were part of a nationalistic cult that tried to kill everyone that wasn't like them, and that peace factions like The White Rose, Oscar Schindler, the Righteous Among the Nations, etc, should not matter

not in a minority that small

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »
It's different. foxes and antalope are not sentient creatures.humans are

humans kill other humans, and humans are sentient creatures.

You know, I find this thread and all threads with debates like these, pointless. Neither side is admitting defeat, so what's the point?

Offline TinShadowcat

• War Eagle
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
There is a difference between death and a living hell

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
I also hate how everyone here is so forgiving of the Yeerks after the invasion. Okay. Yeerks aren't all bad but you wouldn't expect and certainly blame a 1940s holocaust survivor to say to a German Nazi or even just an antisemetic German citizen, "I understand. You were scared and angry and poor and looking for a scapegoat." So why do you say, "It's water under the bridge. If I was senseless I'd like to capture a good host with vision and hearing and all that"???

Ok, you brought up a fantastic point. I'm not trying to be forgiving of the Yeerks, and I completely and totally understand your analogy.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. As Gandhi said ""I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the entitled it is to the protection by man from the cruelty of man."

Its hard, because we can't really compare situations...

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »
It's what I call the doctrine of Actual Sin. One must remember the actual sins of the Yeerks-that if they damn the yeerks, than they daman us in kind if we practice them.

If we do not forgive yeerks, than we are committing the same kind of sins that they did, and therefore come to their level.
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »
Funny. Yorick you seem to really dislike me. lol (don't worry, I'm accustomed)
I'll answer to your question, at first: At the beginning I'd be like Rachel in the way that if somebody attack me, I answer. So I'd try to hurt the most the Yeerks, of course, if I can (I can be cruel. my friends also know that... they call me "heartless")... But if I'd meet a Yeerk like Aftran, I'd think more and try to find another way. And usually, I'd prefer attack the big boss and his assistants than the little soldiers (except to fend for myself or my friends).

Everybody, you always talk about the peace movement and the Yeerks who want to invade. But don't you think there were many Yeerks "between". I mean, Yeerks who are too afraid to fight against Visser 3 (really, this guy is too horrible, even for his people...). I think there must be many. Of course I don't excuse them, it'd be better if they fight against the Vissers, but I can understand they were too afraid to do anything.
Well he had a choice.  But put yourself in his position.  You just condemned your cousin, your plan is falling apart around you, you just witnessed half your team destroyed (James and the others) and you really really need to hurt the enemy right then.  In that same position would you have let the creatures responsible for causing all of this pain and chaos, thrusting you into a fight you didn't want any part of, live?
I understand, but i still don't agree. A serial killer can say the same thing: "My mother and my father always hit me, all my childhood. And women scoff at me... I have no job, the only person I loved was killed by somebody... so I killed them all." Of course, in Animorphs we talk about death... but it's vengeance, only that. And I thought christian people, occidental people, don't agree with vengeance... revenge by themself is against the law.
(Sorry if my English is badder today, I just wake up now... still sleeping a little ^_^')
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:39:58 AM by Dameg »
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2008, 06:05:30 AM »
You can't write off a whole species as purely this and purely that. Plus, the thread itself is so wrong. We are not sympathetic to all Yeerks. We are sypathetic to the Yeerks who are forced to follow the bloodthirsty Vissers.
We are sympathetic to the Yeerks who chose not to take an involuntary host.
We are sympathetic to the Yeerks who chose to fight the Vissers.

I just hate the way Yorick is branding all Yeerks as evil. It's just so wrong. You don't give them a fair chance to prove themselves. Not because one of them is evil, doesn't mean everybody is.

Now I suppose you all brand Taxxons as meat-hungry, Andalites as all-righteous, and humans always right.
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2008, 06:16:25 AM »
well...there never was a non-meat-hungry taxxon in the animrophs world. there were taxxons that tried to resist it, but they were still meat-hungry, unless I'm misunderstanding that word.