Author Topic: Animorphs rewritten  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Marco

Animorphs rewritten
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »
What would happen if animorphs were to be re-written? What would you add or change?

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Animorphs rewritten
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
Over time there are many things I've realized I'd rewrite. Going off on book 2, I'd have Mellissa show up in more Rachel books. Just enough to let us know Rachel hangs out with her, and to know how she's coping.

I would try to prevent villain decay for Visser Three. I like how he was portrayed in the first books, but his image started going downhill in book 9.

I would have David make a return as early as book 29, working for Crayak. He'd make an interesting villain for fighting against both sides.

I would have the Chee cover for the Anis starting in book 11 instead of book 25.

I would change the ending so everyone lives. It wouldn't be all joy and flowers, but they would live, most or all the loose ends would be tied up, and there would be no Kelbrid or One.

I'd probably do more, but those are some specifics.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:34:30 PM »
I think I'd reduce the number of books by taking out some of the fillers or at least integrating them into other books.  I wouldn't mind the individual books being a bit longer if necessary.  Maybe make the entire final arc last longer and go into more detail. And I'd make the last book a Megamorphs.

I wouldn't change the ending much, except maybe to integrate the business with the One a bit more.

Oh, and give Rachel some better books near the ending!  I didn't care for most of her books after 22.  Though I suppose all of the characters had books that could be greatly improved.

Offline gocorygogo

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:15 AM »

I would try to prevent villain decay for Visser Three. I like how he was portrayed in the first books, but his image started going downhill in book 9.
u a troper?

As for me, I would definitely change the covers of the books for one (although that's not my decision as the writer, but worth mentioning). And i would  try not to have ghostwriters so much to keep up the consistency and flavor of the books. And like Chad said: delve into the Rachel and Melissa relationship more (the entire Chapman family for that matter).

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »
Yes I am a troper. Thank you for asking. :)

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline crystalclear

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
what's a troper?

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »
what's a troper?

www.tvtropes.org

As for me, I would definitely change the covers of the books for one (although that's not my decision as the writer, but worth mentioning). And i would  try not to have ghostwriters so much to keep up the consistency and flavor of the books. And like Chad said: delve into the Rachel and Melissa relationship more (the entire Chapman family for that matter).

Oh yeah, the covers!  I forgot about that.  Definitely change those  :P

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
I too would change them so it shows the same people every time. Rachel, Marco, and Tobias go through multiple changes, so I'm not really sure what they're supposed to look like.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
I would be against changing the central story for the books entirely; I really feel against it even when the author goes back to do it because it kinda defeats the purpose of artwork if it is 'updated' or changed to be 'better'. I would say that any sort of 'rewritting' would be a violation, unless it was just small changes to 'edit' actual problems with the stories' verisimilitude; for example this one would be a reasonable change to me:
I would have the Chee cover for the Anis starting in book 11 instead of book 25.
because there isn't any reason that they shouldn't have had that support all along (except that the author may not have thought about it until later) and it makes a lot more sense that they were able to make it through the series as they did if they didn't have those silly risks on the side that could ruin everything for them; there should even be Chee tutoring to make sure that they could keep up in school and maintain their 'normal life' cover. On the other hand:
I would change the ending so everyone lives. It wouldn't be all joy and flowers, but they would live...
I'd be completely against a change like that; the author put it the way it is deliberately and for a good reason; if many people had a negative reaction that was part of the whole point (though she certainly didn't expect the criticism to be that negative) and to change it would be a kind of violation.

Still, I acknowledge that when you split hairs as I am by saying "Editing so it fits better, but not actually rewriting the central stories" you can end up justifying more than you ought when making changes; so if anything it is better to avoid any changes at all to be on the safe side. The point being: it is the author's creation, and even if it has become a part of us all we may have the right to say "I don't like the way this was done" but we don't have the right to say "I'ma go ahead and change it to this instead."

On the other hand, saying that I would be against an actual rewriting of the series does not mean that I don't feel fans should go crazy with their own fan fiction to recreate it in their own image, that is certainly a fair way for them to express their take on the series and I say by all means go for it.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:02 AM »
A *different* ending would be nice. So that fans would have something new to look forward to. There's a reason its "version two". Maybe they'll surprise us. Maybe all the Anis die or something. :D
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
A *different* ending would be nice. So that fans would have something new to look forward to. There's a reason its "version two". Maybe they'll surprise us. Maybe all the Anis die or something. :D
Is it going to be a "version two?" I know there have been rumors (or maybe just hopes for) an "Animorphs 2.0" but as far as I know the only term used to describe what has actually been announced has been 'Re-release', which doesn't usually imply any more than a new cover and maybe a new introduction from the author.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 02:20:05 AM »
Quote from: Kotetsu1442 link=topic=5466.msg448687#msg448687

Is it going to be a "version two?" I know there have been rumors (or maybe just hopes for) an "Animorphs 2.0" but as far as I know the only term used to describe what has actually been announced has been 'Re-release', which doesn't usually imply any more than a new cover and maybe a new introduction from the author.

2.0 might happen if the re-release gets decent sales. just a rumor, sadly.
anyways, i'd kill off those ghost writers and their buffahumans.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »
I agree with Kotetsu on many points... and I don't understand why so many people don't accept Rachel's death. I mean... why is it so "horrible" that you want to rewrite it so she doesn't die? Personally, I like when some characters die (even near the middle of the story if they want, even when I like them (my 3 favorite characters in FMA, for example, die quite quickly after we meet them...)), it shows more "reality" to me. People die, it's a fact. In a war, in a battle, people die. In fact, I'd prefer a change with one character more in the band, who die near the middle...
More than changes, I'd prefer a longer end. KAA&MG always have problems with ends ^^' They're too short...
And of course fixing the mistakes.
For the changes of when characters appear etc. and even another end, it is possible when the story is adapted to another format. For example, if the Animorphs became a TVshow, I wouldn't care if the story wasn't exactly the same. In fact, I even prefer that, so I don't know exactly what will happen next ;) So forget the rewrite, hope for a TVshow ;D
PS: Of course, I'm not against the fanfictions who "rewrite" the story. Why not? What they write could be the story in a parallel universe ;) It's fun, so I'm totally with that ^^
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
Rachel's death didn't make the series more realistic. How is it more realistic for all of the main characters to survive for three years, then JUST ONE character to die?

Of course I'm also upset that Tom died too. Everyone else got what they originally wanted at the start except Jake. Cassie got to save the Earth, Rachel got to save Humanity (even though she died), Tobias got to do something important, and Marco saved his mother. Even Ax got to come out of his brother's shadow and become a Prince.

Jake didn't achieve his goal. Jake is the only one who didn't achieve his goal, and rachel is the only one that died. How odd.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
Well, of course it was realistic, that's why I'd prefer more deaths... but I totally disagree with people who want that all the Animorphs survive to the end.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum