Author Topic: What if Ax didn't crash land on Earth?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline CounterInstinct

What if Ax didn't crash land on Earth?
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
If the Animorphs were to fight off w/o Ax, if #4 continued without Ax.... then do you think the war would have still be won?
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline musicman88

Re: What if Ax didn't crash land on Earth?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »
He's saved the butts of everyone at least once, so no, I don't think they could've won without him.  In fact, I don't think they could've won without any of them really.
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline mrlarry

• The original and the best
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
The main point of Ax as a character is that there needed to be one who understood alien concepts. Without his knowledge, they wouldn't have been able to make nearly as many of their plans as they did. Not to mention his abilities with technology.
They may have still won, but it would've taken much, much longer

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »
If Ax hadn't been there, Marco would have quit the group. Marco stayed because he recognized his mother on Visser Three's blade ship in book five, and the reason they were on there is because they were trying to get Ax home at the time.

Ax is the only one who has a natural sense of time, can fight in his normal form (except for Tobias, but Tobias isn't very good in hawk form), and has some knowledge of alien technology as has already been stated.

Ax is very integral. Also, if Marco hadn't found out Eva was still alive he would have quit the group. Without Marco and Ax, the others wouldn't have gone far.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
and without ax visser 3 would have figured out that they were human looooong before
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:09:07 AM »
Basically, they'd be dead meat without Ax. Like Shanker said, they would have been discovered much earlier, and they wouldn't have half of the knowledge they did without him.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:42:02 AM »
not to mention his tail blade and reaction time came in handy quite a few times.

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:39 AM »
I agree with this, and it brings up the whole question of if you could ditch any member of the group and have it still function?

Jake: Obvious, no leadership, gets replaced by rachel, too reckless group dies.
Cassie: Less animal knowledge for the group, harder to make plans. Less morality... Debatable if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
Rachel: The 'pure power' factor would be lost.
Marco: This one is harder... Uh... I guess the group might get more PTSD without his sarcastic quips :D
Tobias: No ariel support... Except... One of the others could morph a bird... So... Hmmm...

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »
The animorphs would be as good as a rusty paperclip without Ax. First, there would be only four Animorphs fighting for Earth. Talk about depressing, four kids saving the planet? That's worse than six! Ax is the reason why they get on a yeerk ship and see Visser One, hence Marco's stay. Then, they would be pretty much dead when Jake gets infested.  Ax was the first to notice, and even then, the others doubted him.  So the yeerk got all the information on "Andalite Bandits" and sold them all out. Goodbye Earth's main protectors! Have a nice afterlife; if that. Third, if somehow Jake does get un-infested, then when they find out what is in Zone 91, how are they gonna figure out it's a toilet? Exactly. And, the Animorphs would die in Z-Space without Ax's quick thinking.  I could rant on and on about this, but I won't. Everybody helped with saving the planet, with local (as in human) things, but Ax did any and all "alien" stuff, plus a few other things.
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.

Offline Ferahgo

• My Artwork
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:56:11 PM »
In The Andalite Chronicles, it is implied (either by Elfangor or the Ellimist, I don't remember) that having these six time lines converge with one another was absolutely essential for the war to be won, which implied to me that the absence of any one of them would have been enough to fail. That's why it was so essential that Elfangor needed to go back to his original time line - that was the only way that the integral six Animorphs would eventually meet.

So, no, I don't think that the war would have been winnable without Ax, for this and probably many other reasons.