Author Topic: Animorphs Anthology (fan-published?)  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Pez001

• Eccentric Illusions
Animorphs Anthology (fan-published?)
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
Okay, we all want more fiction that continues the Animorphs universe, but who knows where KA and Michael would take the much-discussed Animorphs 2.0? We all have had questions about the series on topics that the authors may or may not have even been thinking about when they wrote the books. Well, how about we take matters into our own hands and write that stuff? Get it out of the roleplays and the fanfiction websites and into a printed book.

What I am proposing is an anthology of short fiction taking place in the Animorphs universe. Something (hopefully) approved by K.A. and Michael, and something we'd need to go through Scholastic to publish. Each author would write a story about some topic that's been burning a hole in their brain, whether it be the plight of a Voluntary Controller (or even a group of them) that likes where their life has gone since infestation and who don't want to be separated, or what happens when terrorists get control of Andalite/Yeerk technology. It could be something political, what happens when your leaders are suddenly found to have been secretly working against you for years. It could even be set offworld.

Two caveats. One, it would have to be written with the same restraints that the original series went under. This is a childrens series, so no outright swearing and no gratuitous sex scenes. I think the restrictions would probably depend a lot on how the rerelease is marketed, whether to kids or teens. Second, it shouldn't interfere with the canon of the books. The original series is, of course, a known quantity. 2.0 would probably continue where they left off, but not necessarily. Nothing we write should interfere with the events that have been written, just extend and embellish them. It may or may not be okay to include the Animorphs or other characters in your story, but you would have to write them acting appropriately for when it takes place, and it could not be something major that contradicts known events. If Cassie says she's been living a quiet life since the end of the war, don't have her experience some secret adventure. A caveat for the caveat is if you get permission from the original authors and Scholastic to do so.

I think this could work. It would, if it sees the light of day, probably be published after the rerelease run finishes. It could definitely include material from people outside RAF, such as if Scholastic or K.A./Michael have authors that they want to include. Really, though, I think the idea of stories written by fans of the series, written and edited professionally, could work. "Written by YOU! The readers!" on the cover or something like that.

Before anyone starts thinking this is a guaranteed thing, remember that there are a lot of big ifs in this scenario. At worst, we end up with some quality stories, and at best we get to share them with a larger audience.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Re: Animorphs Anthology (fan-published?)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
Since you woke me up at 3am to tell me about this idea...I'm so for it.  Would have to go through Scholastic and perhaps be published as K.A. much like the ghost books, but hey...if Jeff Sampson did it with his collaboration with K.A./Michael, maybe we could, too?  It would especially benefit those of us on RAF who want to advance their writing careers.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
Rockin' idea. I love it. This kind of collaboration would need a decent amount of organization, though, just on the RAF level. For example, before we even think about a larger audience we would need someone overseeing the project, editor's/beta readers, compilers, people who know how to write query's, etc. We would also need to set length restrictions to the shorts that are submitted, and strict content guidelines (such as the no sex/no swearing bit).

Hmmm....does this count as a fanfiction or a project?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline anijen21

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
so you basically want to publish a fan zine.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline clockwork_atom

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »
That sounds like a really good idea-- though getting permission from both the authors and scholastic could be an interesting feat.  Though I feel like getting permission from the authors (if the collection is really well written, which I think anyone wouldn't expect less anyway) would be the easiest.  From what I've read on the questions topic for the authors, KA said a couple of times that it's up for the reader to develop certain ideas.  She doesn't mind fanfiction.  From a business point of view for scholastic, it might be good publicity as well for them and the Animorphs reboot (at least towards the end, because I feel like, since most of us have read the majority of the books, that the anthology would give away spoilers.)