Author Topic: unnamed (long!) fiction. =)  (Read 2479 times)

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
unnamed (long!) fiction. =)
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:31:12 AM »
THIS.
IS.

....well.

fluff i'm working on... largely for my own amusement. (i make me laugh and that's enough for me, LMAO.) huge, HUGE portions of this you will recognize from animorphs, ender's game, and even star trek && star wars. ^^ so, in a sense, this really is a fanfiction.

this will never be published (a., i am a terrible author and b., it would be wrong, imho, to try to publish THIS on sooo many levels... plus, i make a much better editor), but i still appreciate comments and crits (and questions!), etc. =) please tell me what you think. i have some huge plot-y plans for this, but the beginning is so friggin' slow. Dx i blame my focus on early, BLATANT character development as opposed to subtle characterizations over the course of several more 'active' scenes.

also, some "wordage" is present, so you under-thirteens should at least briefly consider not reading. spare your not-so virginal eyes.

as a note, i italicize thoughts and not-English words. (and characters always think in 'english'. =])

------------
Log 7329.21.2140 - Kyle
[spoiler]My name is Kyle.

Kyle the Mighty. Kyle the Awesome. Maybe you’ve heard of me… and maybe you haven’t. Not yet, anyway.

Here’s the deal. I’m an easygoing guy- decent grades, great friends, and no particular life path commitments waiting to tie me down. But I’ve spent my entire, 15- (almost 16-) year long life in this lame blip of a ’burb not even enterprising enough to sport the title “home of the world’s largest insert-any-obscure-noun-here”. And no offense to the old-timers and their local museums and outdated “mom-and-pop” shops, but I don’t plan to hang around; I’ve got better things to do. As soon as I graduate, I’m out. Believe it; I’m gone. Hasta la vista, kiddos.

But getting back to all the reasons I hate this town- I’ll start with the fact that this town has my parents in it. Parents who, for no great reason, feel like it’s cool to knock out my Sundays with a bunch of stupid… time-consuming… CHORES.

THWACK.

For probably the thousandth time, I brought my rake down like a sabre and speared the wet grass. A crow squawked- no doubt protesting the commotion- and took to the air, swooping quickly out of sight. I traced its path against the atypically clear sky, wiping the sheen of uncomfortably cool sweat from my forehead. My fingers tingled with the promise of blisters to come as I shifted my grip on the wooden rake handle and swept the hefty pile of moldering leaves into a ragged pile.

As the leaves settled, the wind picked up. I sighed loudly, aggravation provoked as my workload increased, dropping to the ground in apathetic bucketloads from only-God-knows-where. At least I had one thing to be (grudgingly) thankful for: the rain from the previous night kept the leaves wet and heavy. What I’d already piled up wasn’t going anywhere before I got around to bagging it.

Two deep voices, carried by the shifting afternoon air, snagged my wandering attention. Although the rumbling of an idling truck engine masked the conversation, I could guess at the subject.

New neighbors moving in, I remembered, still slowly adjusting to the realization that had arrived earlier that morning with the moving van. About time someone bought the lot; that house’s been empty for a long time. Another thought suddenly occurred to me. Maybe… there’s a remote chance that… maybe a girl my age… And my imagination immediately took off.

Well, you get the idea.

I propped the rake against my chest and mentally slapped myself. Reality check: what were the odds that would happen? Eager to squeeze in an extra minute of procrastination, I rolled my shoulders and twisted, trying to break up the knots of muscle congregating on my back. My stomach growled a short complaint: it was already hours past noon, and I still hadn’t had lunch.

Five minutes, I promised myself. Give me five minutes, and then we’ll do lunch.

It was the snap- like a whip-crack in my ear- that almost, almost made me jump. Habit kept me from moving , though, and a millisecond later, an aggravated sigh from the woods beyond the yard prompted a smile from my chapped lips. I went back to my work as if nothing had happened, attacking autumn’s refuse before more found its way into the yard.

Oh.

If you were wondering, that was the sound of my best friend, Liu. We’ve known each other since we were in diapers, and we have an equally long-running joke: although I’ve never been able to pin his ass once, he’s never been able to sneak up on me. While I did almost beat the (award-winning, nationally-recognized, blah, blah, blah) martial artist –once– that took more planning than you’d ever want to know about; Liu swore for a month afterward that I’d developed some sort of psychic ability. Unfortunately, the best I’ve got under my belt are a few years of soccer and lacrosse, so you can imagine how any “wrestling matches” we have end up.

Not pretty.

As for him, he’s made it some sort of twisted goal to catch me off-guard. Scare the pee out of me, if he can (he claims it has to do with “training”, if you believe it). And normally, I’ll take it all in stride, but it sure as hell can be inconvenient when-

“-OOF!!” The air in my lungs whooshed out as a familiar weight knocked my feet out from under me and sent me sprawling through (through!) my pile of damp leaves. I watched the rake fly in the other direction and spin wildly over the grass; out of the corner of my eye, I saw a figure nimbly reach out and grab the handle of the rake (without looking, the smug bastard) as it skidded toward him.

Silent, I lay completely still, holding my eyes loosely shut. A long second later, and the rake handle was firmly prodding my back. “…Kyle. Dude. ….Kyle?” After I’d timed next poke, I rolled over onto my back, took hold of the handle, and used it to lever myself into the air, swinging my best friend into the leaves as I hooked a foot around his ankle and tugged.

“HAH.” I winked, and offered the rake, handle-end down, to my friend. “Gotcha.”

Liu smirked, snagged the handle, and leapt to his feet in a single movement, pulling the rake to his side like a character out of Mortal Kombat. He blinked, laughed, and handed the rake back to me.
“You heard me, didn’t you?” He accused, brushing himself off. “And you waited for me to get you so you could do that.”

I laughed. “That would be pretty wild, Liu,” I replied noncommittally. I looked from him to the now-scattered pile of yard debris and sighed dramatically. “NOW, I’ll have to finish this mess even faster; you know, I haven’t had lunch yet and I’m friggin’ starving.”

Liu was already sidling up to the kitchen window in my backyard. He eyed whatever was going on inside with interest, then shot my workload a glance.

“So… if I help you… I get a free meal, right?” He appeared to contemplate something, rubbing his nose to stall for time. “My uncle is cooking tonight. I’m not sure I even want to go home. He’ll force leftovers on me!”

I chuckled. “So help, then,” I said, and flung a box of trash bags at him. I didn’t blame him; I’d sampled his uncle’s “creativity” in the kitchen on more than one occasion… and I don’t think I’d ever come out without sacrificing my digestive system for half a day.

Unrolling a black plastic bag from the box, Liu casually dropped the rest onto the ground and bent to scoop leaves into the bag.

A half hour later, I paused over the last pile of leaves.

“There’s a car coming,” I observed absentmindedly, and I turned to take a peek at the house across the street.

Liu watched me with a raised eyebrow. “Aaand…?” he prompted.

“I think it’s gonna be the new neighbors. …I don’t recognize the engine. Watch.”

“…The engine. Ri-ight. Or it could be someone passing through,” came the argument.

A second later, a beaten-up station wagon lurched into view, pulled up behind the mover’s van and shuddered to a steaming, gurgling stop.

I grinned smugly; Liu snorted and rolled his eyes. “All right; you were lucky.” Under his breath he added, “you and your superhuman hearing .”

Grabbing the last bag, Liu continued, “Let’s get these put away… and… a-HEM.” He cleared his throat at me, waiting for my attention. I’d been intently watching for whoever was inside the car to come out.

I suddenly glimpsed a shock of long, dirty-blonde hair before a dirt-streaked hand appeared between it and me. I blinked and focused on Liu’s smirking face. “…THEN we can go check out the new neighbors.”

I grinned and turned to land a punch on his shoulder. He, of course, dodged. With an impish grin, he gestured with the mostly full bag, holding it out at his side. I gaped and rushed forward. “Oh no, you d- ACK!”

Upending the bag of leaves, the martial artist took a moment to ensure I was thoroughly covered before jumping agilely out of the way as I reactively half-roared and ran at him, intending to tackle him into the leaves. Unfortunately, I never made it one step closer toward my goal.

Because that was the instant my life changed. Because that was the instant the entire world changed.

…And by “change”, I don’t mean “change” in some intangible, futuristic prophesying sort of way. The world Changed, and I was immediately lost. The laws of physics evolved and forgot to take me with them.

First, the world heaved and rippled, knocking me to feet. ….Or, that’s what it ought to have done. Instead, I had frozen in midair, feeling each ripple like a sledgehammer to the gut. Each spasm was quickly followed by a wave of… fluorescent, negative color. I instantly lost my sense of “up” and “down” and, although I was trying to crouch down to wait the horrifying sensation out (presuming it would stop and that this wasn’t The End Of The World), I couldn’t tell if my muscles were even responding. I couldn’t move.

I screamed; I couldn’t hear myself screaming. It sounded like thousands of noises rushed forward and crashed in on me at once. The leaves had disappeared, and so had my backyard, my house, and my best friend. While I couldn’t feel a thing, I simultaneously felt as though I was being torn apart; I could see myself in three, or maybe thirty dimensions, and I screamed again as the body I saw began to turn inside-out, splitting along the sides and rotating until my innards threatened to fall out. I sucked in air through my gritted teeth as I felt something… else… stick its dirty fingers into my head. I wrenched forward, trying to pull away.

It was as though I had been sucked through a wall of cold molasses and into a sauna. I choked, realizing that I hadn’t been breathing.

Or… hadn’t I?

The landscape had mutated again before I’d even noticed. As if through a pair of oil-smudged glasses, I observed streaks of blue in a sea of some nondescript shade of off-white. Under the unexpected glare, I squinted. A blurry blob of color flew by, accented by a distant, flickering red light. I attempted to force my eyes to focus, to hold onto the image, and failed. Trying to turn, I felt something pressed against my back, legs and feet. Then something suddenly murmured into my ears and I futilely attempted to open my mouth to ask it to repeat itself.

Without warning, I felt sleep shove me down in the same way Liu had done a minute (a month?) ago; my eyes shut and the world shrugged back into place.[/spoiler]

Log 9223.21.2140- Aarón
[spoiler]Groggily, I rubbed my dry eyes and stared blearily down at the novel I’d been “reading” for the last hour. Wondering why the heck anyone would care about the “motivations” and “development” of some fictitious runaway from a couple hundred years ago, I returned to the adjacent computer monitor.

At least I finally managed to score the private study lounge,
I thought dryly, recalling waiting an hour for the previous occupant to finally close her improbably thick monster of a book and leave. It wasn’t like she needed a computer to read it, unless it was in Korean and she needed to translate every word or something.

I skipped unhurriedly across the monitor with the mouse, clicking through two programs before entering what appeared to be a DOS command window. This, however, was the command window for a separate OS, a series of programs I’d flung out into the recesses of the library system’s local intranet nearly three years ago. I could access it easily from any public access computer within the library and, tapping into the memory resources of this computer lab (and every other lab connected to the library intranet), I could do what every computer geek had ever dreamed of doing… and then some. With the added boost (and some improvements to the original compiler program), I could multitask, unhindered by a “slow” computer or the threat of a hardware crash.  An OS like this one, however, made life easier for me in other ways. Here, I could write some of my more complex programs and store them, undetected, behind a series of computer function re-routers, my personal firewall system.

My hobby, if you couldn’t tell, is computer programming, among a few other, similar things… all legit, I swear.

As a shadowy form swept past the glass curtain wall- the only thing between me and the aisles of books beyond- I feigned interest in my book, flipping a page as I quickly tapped a two-key sequence to bring up the Windows OS. I didn’t want to give the surly-looking librarian an excuse to harass me.

I watched her huff by as she levered a precariously stacked pile of books against her hip and sighed. Close call. I’m really falling asleep, here.

I checked the time.

3:51:06.

¡Dios!…” I exclaimed and shoved backwards, leaping out of my seat. I was supposed to have been gone a half-hour ago! I bent over the keyboard and hit a combination of keys.

Done.

I hit enter.

Suddenly teal and crimson began to bloom all over the screen. I frowned and plugged another line of code into the command window. As I re-ran the algorithm, I cursed again. That’s not right, it was just working…

Then, to make matters worse, reality suddenly tripped over its own feet.

Now, you can think I’m crazy, but that’s exactly what happened; I don’t have any other words to describe it. I’d never seen anything like it in my life- things mutated through space, as though God had suddenly decided to make his own changes to a universal program. I saw colors I never knew existed and as I watched myself stare (simultaneously) into the stacks, under the stacks, and through the stacks, the computer monitor caught my eye.

As it should have. Because here was the odd thing: while the rest of the world made abstract art of desks, students, and bookshelves, the screen was sitting perfectly still. On it flashed a single, cryptic message:

NOTICE... NOTICE- CODE RED: MACHIES IN SECTORS 4.2 THROUGH 4.8- TECHS TO FOURTH FLOOR CORE UNIT; SQUAD 7 SEE COMMANDER BRIGID FOR ASSIGNMENT.

As I gaped, the words flipped through varying shades of fluorescent pink and red. But before I could even seize the concept of reality making a mess of itself, let alone what the hell “machies” were or how, logically, the computer had managed to display the incomprehensible message, it all stopped.

It was as though reality had been a dribble of water sucked up into an eye dropper… and had finally been spat back out again. As my eyes tried to adjust, I lost my balance and dropped to my knees, banging them on the thinly-carpeted floor.

“OW!” I hissed, blinking back tears. I grabbed the edge of the desk and pulled myself up. The computer sat silently, the screen dark.

I hit the power button.

And again.

Cursing, I swiftly gathered my books and slipped out of the room, making my way through the biography section.

Crap. Crap! I broke it! …Somehow…And if they find out it was me, they’ll never let me near a another computer. I’m screwed! Whatever that was, it must have somehow messed up the computer through my programs. But how? I designed that program to work independently of outside operations. Only a program from the same OS- from behind the security I’ve already put up- should be able to do something like that.

The realization only then hit me as I nearly laughed at myself. As if the computer breaking is so much more illogical than what just happened to me! God, what the hell is happening?

I glanced down each narrow bookshelf corridor I passed, opting to use the rarely frequented rear exit. The silence bothered me. Shouldn’t someone be panicking? Shouldn’t there be screams, mass exodus from the library… something? It didn’t make sense. I cautiously (but quickly) note of the librarian from earlier, growling incomprehensibly as she indignantly rearranged a shelf of books. Nothing unusual there, I thought, simultaneously amused and unnerved.

The rows of dimly-lit study desks came into view. I meandered more slowly between these and nearly walked into one of my classmates.

“Oh, hey! Aaron!” the guy- Dru- greeted me. At my pause, he raised an eyebrow. “You okay, man? You look kinda spaced out.”

I tried to laugh, but the sound fell pretty flat. I was shaking. Hadn’t he seen anything?

Like the librarian, he seemed unphased. In fact, as I craned my neck, it seemed as though everyone else, each hunched over his own work, remained unaffected by what I’d just seen.

I shrugged. “Nah, I’m fine. Uhh… you didn’t see… anything… a second ago, did you?” I asked, trying to lower my voice, not wanting to draw attention to myself. Internally, I wrestled with reason. I could have been dreaming, right? I mean, I was falling asleep there. But then… I can’t explain how I got out of my seat…

Dru just stared back at me and I knew my answer before he could say it. So I tried to cover, pretending to clarify, “on your computer.” I gestured at the PC sitting on his desk.

The kid shook his head and replied, “I dunno. I didn’t see anything, but I was grabbing some books for that paper Ms. Turner assigned for Friday. What a bummer, yeah? And I haven’t started the math homework, either.”

My distracted silence didn’t discourage him. “Hey, speaking of the math homework,” he continued, “you wanna work together? We’d get it done so much faster.”

I, staring past him, mentally choked; it had nothing to do with the homework, but what I’d caught on the computer screen at the desk next to us.

4:11.

Now “late” wouldn’t even cover it- I was screwed. I backed away, calling, “I’m kinda done already,” I lied, trying to cover my panic. “But definitely some other time. I gotta go; my sister needs me to help baby-sit tonight.”
Dru smiled, less enthusiastic. “All right; yeah, we’ll do that.”
In an instant I was gone, waving briefly at my classmate as I beat it to the back door.

Biking back home, I could feel the air cooling as the afternoon sun maintained its downward arc; it helped calm my nerves. I caught a glimpse of a moving van as it passed me by, leaving our modest corner of suburbia, and scratched my chin.

Maybe that house down the way finally sold, I thought.

I subconsciously began to turn my bike in the direction opposite the receding, odious exhaust… when my penchant for procrastination finally caught up to me.

“AARÓN ALFONSO SÁNCHEZ RIVIERA, you get your BUTT into this house, AHORA MISMO! You are in SO much trouble!”

I ducked, as though to ward off the verbal blow, to no effect. My little sister towered in our doorway, two houses from where I sat: four and a half feet of grim, ladle-wielding ruthlessness.

Ay, Dios,” I murmured beneath my breath. Only an hour late at the most, I recognized that my sister seemed more perturbed than usual. Not something I’d’ve guessed could be my fault alone.
As I slunk toward the dungeon door, my ardent taskmaster, and the work waiting inside, a triumphant shout danced out the door. My sister’s eyes widened considerably as she flicked her eyes backward, then wheeled around hastily and sped inside, yelling as she went, “Marco, NO! What have I told you about climbing on things? I don’t care what Julio double-whatever dared you to do; you get your butt DOWN from there before-”

CRASH.

Wincing, I glanced around once, wondering if the neighbors had seen anything. Not that this sort of drama would have been news to them. However, an unidentified feeling crawling in my gut made me wary, suspicious. The earlier incident had by no means left my mind; now, it was all a matter of carefully figuring out what had happened before I really did lose my mind… or, more importantly, before anyone else could figure out that I’d lost it.[/spoiler]

Log 5625.21.2140- Liu
[spoiler]Like Kyle said- the world flipped out. At the time, I remember fighting to keep my brain from shutting down. Now, the memory plays whether I want it to or not, fast-forwarding in slow motion, like an awkward foreshadowing.

I remember emptying the trash bag. I remember the leaves falling and that putrid, mildew smell everywhere; there's nothing like a heavy rain in the fall to bring out the best of decomposition in nature.

Three seconds.

I timed my friend’s reaction as easily as I breathe- Kyle’s predictable like a clock. I smiled, shifted my weight toward Kyle’s right (his slower turning point), anticipating his lunge.

Then the leaves began to decelerate, and instead of watching for Kyle’s return strike, I remember thinking, how the heck…? and grabbing at the leaves, watching my hand snaking in among them like a fish through kelp.

Kyle looked as shocked as I felt, and he, like oozing dough, slowly- slooowly- put each foot on the ground.

Then someone hit “play” and everything fell apart.

I don’t usually scream.

I’m not a “screaming” guy. I might shout, but that’s a ki-focusing tactic. You use it to distract an opponent and redirect energy into a hit.

This scream didn't do anything like that. There was no tangible opponent, no hit to make.

This was way, way beyond my control. And I screamed.

I don’t know if you’ve ever been in a vat of Styrofoam, or maybe like a sensory deprivation chamber, but that’s where I was. And then, at the same time, all five of my senses were screaming information at me, like the Styrofoam was layered with a noxious, ear-splitting, skin-melting poison. I felt like giggling like a lunatic and sobbing like a baby all at once. At some point, I remember my lips trying to utter the words to the blessings my mom had whispered over me when I was little- I couldn’t remember all of the Mandarin, but the hell it mattered.

And then it ended. It ended as abruptly and irrevocably as it’d begun, and everything was exactly the way it’d been. The leaves finished their waterfall cascade to the ground. Birds chirped and squirrels chattered at us from above. Sky and ground had found their niches again. And as I began to take stock of myself, vertigo hit me the same way you can be running along in a dream and unexpectedly find yourself falling.

Yeah. Annoying as hell.

Needless to say, I hit the ground. The impact I didn't mind: pain told me that I was still alive and muscle aches announced that I still had two knees, ten fingers, a head attached to a neck attached to everything else.

I heard a groan; I turned in time to see Kyle fall forward and plant his face in the grass.

He didn't even bother to put his hands out to catch himself. Still reeling from the shock of watching the world in its death throes, I found myself at Kyle's side before I'd processed moving. I dropped and grabbed his shoulder.

“Kyle. Kyle!” I shook him. Unconscious? What...?

Kyle’s eyelids fluttered and he choked out something unintelligible.

“Hey, not funny,” I told my prostrate friend. I pulled him into a sitting position. “Kyle!” I snapped my fingers in front of his face. Then I waited a half-second and backhanded him.

Kyle groaned and reflexively brought a hand up to shield his face. After a moment, his eyes flicked to me and focused; I sighed.

“Dude; don’t scare me like that.” You looked like you were going into epileptic shock, I added grimly. Then I had to wonder if I hadn’t looked like that myself a second earlier.

Not that I ended up on my face in the dirt, though.

Kyle leaned forward and I let go of his shoulder. Rubbing his cheek intensely, he glared. “What was that for?”

I snorted. “You were twitching like a dog in heat, dreaming of the **** down the street, is what. Thought I needed to bring you back to reality.”

Reality… I pondered the consequences of looking like a psychopath for asking Kyle about what had just happened, but I waved off the hesitation; Kyle has been my best friend since diapers. I licked my lips and asked, “…Hey, you didn’t see all that…”

Realization and relief dawned in Kyle’s eyes. “… The way the universe like, completely flipped out?” he finished.

“Yeah. …Whatever that was. What… what d’you think…?”

Kyle made a rude noise. “Like I’d know. Maybe I should check with my mom or something. I’m sure it’d be on the news or…” He grunted as he pushed himself onto his feet.

As he took a step toward his house, he staggered, clapping his fingers to his temples.

I froze. “Kyle, you okay?”

He grimaced and waved me off. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just a headache. Weird. Didn’t have one a moment ago.” He flashed me a half-hearted “no sweat” grin before strolling tentatively up to the back of his house. Then he paused by the sliding glass door, hand hovering over the handle.

“My sister and my mom… they didn’t see anything.”

“You’re sure?”

Kyle rolled his eyes in my direction, with a look that said clearly, You’ve known me for how long? And since when don’t I know these things?

I laughed unenthusiastically. “All right; you’re sure. But… okay… what now?”

I could almost see the wheels in my friend’s head turning. He flicked his eyes to the leaves, then to me, then back into his house. Scratching his head, he slowly replied, “Uhmm… something outside, maybe? Like… in the leaves. Maybe a fungus or weed of some sort got raked up with the leaves and while we were playing around in it, we accidentally breathed some in or something…”

I raised an eyebrow. “You mean you think we accidentally got high off of ‘shrooms? Hallucinogenic fungus fumes? Are you serious?”

Kyle smiled apologetically. “Not really. But it’s the only thing I can come up with. If it didn’t affect my mom or my sister, the chances of its being an isolated event are pretty big, don’t you think? I dunno. Maybe this weather, the dead vegetation… it might explain this headache, too. Maybe I’m allergic to it, whatever it is.”

“I didn’t know you had allergies.” I narrowed my eyes. “Me either, to think of it. This would be a first.”

“Well,” the brunette replied, “it’s either that or… the two of us are insane.”

“Sudden psychotic episode? Both of us, simultaneously? Haha, really funny, Kyle.” That being said, I thought, what else makes sense? Something happened, that’s for sure. But I’m not sure I buy the “inhaled plant hallucinogen” theory, either.

“Only as funny as how you’re going to look, cleaning up this mess,” Kyle replied, picking up the rake. “Look, if it never happens again, we know it’s nothing to worry about.”

I followed his lead and grabbed the bag, too involved in my grim thoughts to do anything else. The question on my lips was, I knew, already in Kyle’s head- but I knew that he didn’t have an answer… and he probably didn’t want one any more than I did.

…And what if it does happen again…?

After a minute or so, Kyle shot another look, this one menacing, at the back door. Breaking the silence, he growled, “They were talking about that pain-in-the-ass, Ryan.”

Ryan, if you don’t know, is Kyle’s sister’s boyfriend- and someone who had managed (with very, very little effort) to scrape away my best friend’s patience. I knew what was coming, so before Kyle could open his mouth to recount whatever recent, not-quite-altercation had happened between his overprotective ego and the notoriously snot-nosed freshman, I elbowed him.

“Hey. It’s getting late,” I pointed out. “If you don’t get your ass across the street and introduce yourself to that blonde chick soon, you’ll have to fight for her attention while she’s up to her neck in boxes the rest of the week.” I smirked and shoved Kyle forward; he raised an eyebrow and then turned to crane his neck around the side of his house.

“Ahh… mmm… all right… I’ll go check it out.” He tied the last bag of leaves and tossed it at the side of the house, where the rest of them lay in lumpy, shadowy communion.

“Good luck, man,” I replied.

As I made to leave, however, fingers closed around my arm. With a slightly pale but determined look on his face Kyle added, “…and you’re my backup. Got it?”

I moaned. “Do I have to hold your hand?” Promises of food aside, I was anxious to get Kyle distracted and get myself away, but Kyle wasn’t moving.

“No; you gotta come with me. What if she…”

“All right; all right! You’re pathetic, you know?” Sighing, I followed my friend as he strolled stiffly across the street.[/spoiler]

Log 9866.21.2140- Audrey
[spoiler]Upset? Yes. I’d lost my temper, but my parents had it coming.

I huffed angrily into the chilly air with my back turned to the two adults who were, no doubt, watching me with their patent looks of patronizing concern.

Okay, Audrey. Calm down. Calm down! Could they have missed it? I tried to reason myself out of dumping my frustrations on my unsuspecting mother and father.

No way, I decided. How could they not have seen it? Impossible! And I didn’t dream it; I couldn’t have. I don’t have that sort of imagination.

I wanted to reason with my parents; I didn’t need them thinking that I was losing my mind. I didn’t need to give them another reason to be clingy.

Well, I’ve gotten ahead of myself.

I’m Audrey Vivienne Anderson, recent alumnus of the University of Southern California’s graduate program in both design mechanics and biotechnology. I’d just suffered through the last mile of a long, long drive from biggest cities on the West Coast to the smallest town I’d ever seen. Period. It had also been the longest possible drive from my friends, personal expectations, my dreams.

If you could call any of them that.

To reiterate: this was a tiny town. The kind of town with two dozen traffic lights and one strip mall. Population 5,000: smaller than my graduating class. It was an unnerving change. I kept imagining 19th-century western films: the single General Store, one train station… it didn’t help.

Sitting in the backseat of my dad’s ancient station wagon (complete with faux wood paneling on the doors), I slid my sunglasses onto my nose, then focused on the cookie-cutter houses as they passed.

Well, good luck spotting the new place, Dad. If it weren’t for the address, we’d never find it.

“Audrey,” my mother suddenly announced, like she’d just won the grand prize at a bingo game, “look! We’re here, honey! Look out your father’s side of the car.”

Ignoring the way my stomach seemed to slide into my liver, I obliged, leaning on a timeworn armrest. A standard-local-issue, two-story brick house with a tacked-on two-car garage and covered porch rolled into view.

And that’s when I realized how my mother had managed to differentiate our house from every one of the hundred other houses in the neighborhood: the porch, the shutters, the garage door- anything not brick- were all a grotesque, clashing shade of salmon pink. Easily visible from the street. I swallowed hard.

Well, those photos I downloaded were spot-on, color-wise,
I remarked sarcastically to myself. How…

“Quaint, isn’t it?” my mother asked brightly.

Actually, “garish” came to mind, but… I bit down on my lip. “It’s great, Mom. Just like the sales guy said it’d be.”

Finally curbside, the car shuddered to a stop. Dad muttered something about the carburetor as the engine’s spluttering gave way to ominous hissing. I groaned as he popped the hood.

“You’re not going to find anything, Dad,” I said. “Why don’t I…”

“Now, sweetie,” he began. He gave the car a pat. “I’ve had the old girl for seventeen years; there’s nothing about her that I don’t know. Don’t you remember when…”

…And that’s when I dropped it.

Ignoring Dad’s anecdotal spewage, I noted that Mom, all smiles, had long since started a conversation with the moving guys on the driveway. Knowing her, she was probably about to invite them to stay for dinner.

I sighed and wondered again why I’d ever agreed to move across the country with my parents.

You had job offers. You could have become the youngest, full-time biomechanics consultant in North America. You could be living in San Fran right now, reading a nice book on a leather recliner on your back patio, overlooking the homes of some of the richest people on the West Coast.

My nose flared as the regret surfaced; I frowned and shoved the feelings aside. I had my reasons, I argued with myself. Even the promise of a six-figure salary hadn’t been enough of a reason to stay behind and watch my parents move. Some part of me knew I wasn’t ready to be out on my own. Not at sixteen, anyway.

Oh, face it, my mind sneered mercilessly, you’d be utterly alone, out there. That’s your only reason for tagging along.

But being alone wouldn’t have been the end of the world. I could- I would have adapted.

So why did it seem so terrifying?

“Audrey, honey, come look at your new room!”

“Oh, boy,” I muttered as my train of thought derailed. My hands moved of their own volition, grabbing the door handle, propelling the rest of my body onto the asphalt.

“Coming, Mom. Just give me a- ” I reached back into the seat to find that I was no longer reaching into the car, but into…

My stomach?!?

I screamed and pulled my hand back.

Or, that’s what my mind frantically shrieked at my hand to do as it flopped weakly inside my gut.  I couldn’t move! While I struggled to reorient body parts, the sky decided to flatten me to the pavement. Abruptly, “dimension” and “direction” were meaningless.

I tried to pull air into my lungs and found my body unresponsive to my mental urgings. I felt overwhelmed, bloated- but only in a manner fitting of a full tube of toothpaste being run over by a pick-up truck.

Colors were wrong. Sounds were wrong. Things that I had taken for granted- gravity, the wave-particle duality of light, the conservation of mass- they no longer applied.

I was nothing. I was everything, which was nothing. The universe rushed together, sweeping forward, coming at me, looking to overwhelm and drown me. I tried to scream, to stay alive even while I was convinced that I’d already died.

Then, in a manner as benign as their coming had been terrorizing, the fluctuations stopped. The luminescent overlay evaporated and the world exhaled, sending everything back to its place.

I gasped, thinking to make up for the air I hadn’t been breathing, only to find myself hyperventilating; my lungs protested. It was as if nothing had happened.

“What was that?!” I cried. I panicked; for all I knew, the whole thing could happen again at any moment.

I whirled. Dad reappeared from under the car. Mom had come back to grab suitcases from the car; now she dropped them and turned her attention on me.

“What was what, Audrey?” she asked.

I stared. “That… that thing! The whole street, no, the whole world just… just pancaked!” I used my hands to demonstrate. “I nearly died!”

It was my parents’ turn to stare.

“Dear, perhaps you had a fainting spell, is all,” my mother suggested, putting the back of her hand against my warm forehead. “You haven’t been sleeping well lately.”

I shook my head. How could this be happening? I wondered frantically. How could they have missed it? “It couldn’t have been!” I argued. “It was real!”

My father held his hands out, his intent to placate me at odds with the engine grime between his fingers. Reflexively, I shied away.

“Take it easy! Maybe you had a nightmare get the best of you. You’ve been under a lot of stress.”

“Perhaps you should go inside and sit down for a moment. With a little break, some rest, I’m sure it’ll pass,” my mother agreed.

I shook my head. This was ridiculous. I knew what I’d seen. My parents just… they just…

I had no answers. I itched to find out what had just happened. I had to know. I didn’t want to go inside and sit down like a good little girl until I had the opportunity to convince myself that it hadn’t been real.

It took a long minute- my parents consoling me and reassuring me like they would a three-year-old with “monsters under the bed” syndrome- before my rationality managed to wrestle near-hysteria into submission.

If the both of them didn’t see it, it is more likely that it didn’t happen, I reasoned. But either way, I won’t accomplish anything by trying to convince them that something happened when they are equally convinced that nothing did.

But before I could head inside to find some peace and quiet and think, my parents suddenly shifted, gazes focused on something behind me. I turned.

“Ah… excuse me?”

I turned to see a boy –no, two boys, both around my age –walking toward our house from across the street. The one who’d spoken, the taller of the two, looked grim and anxious.

As though he wanted to say something.

Something about what just happened! My mind eagerly leapt to the conclusion. But my hopes had no sooner been raised than the newcomers dashed them to the pavement. The taller boy pursed his lips and looked- not at me, but at the boxes on the driveway.

“I, uhm…” He paused and our eyes met. Under the intensity of his gaze, I began to blush. Embarrassed at being embarrassed, I frowned sharply.

“What?” I snapped. Irritation warred with disappointment.

The second boy returned a narrow look of calculating distaste.

“Uhh…” The first boy hesitated.

“Oh, don’t worry about Audrey,” my mother cut in suddenly. She reached around my shoulders to give me a quick hug. “She’s had a long day, it seems. She’s a sweet girl, once you spend some time with her, right?”

I bit my lip. Really, Mom? Do you have to do this to me now?

The first boy smiled warily. “I’m sure it’s been… a long day,” he agreed. “Uh… My name’s Kyle. I live across the street.” He gestured: his house mirrored ours without abusing the red end of the color spectrum; his shutters were a soothing blue.

“I was hoping I could, you know, help out a little. Carry your things inside?” Having found his social footing again, he took another step forward.

My dad did the same. “Excellent!” he exclaimed, shaking each teen’s hand. “It’s great to see people willing to help a neighbor out in this day and age. I’m Henry. Henry Anderson. This is my wife, Joni, and our daughter, Audrey. Joni, don’t you think we could use a little assistance?”

I tried to hide my displeasure. Mom didn’t bother to hide her enthusiasm.

“Of course! I’ll break into the cooler later and set out some snacks; it’ll be a little move-in party!”

Dad nodded and leaned forward. “Not to belittle the moving agency, but I don’t really trust them to take care of our items the way we would,” he confided.

“Mmm,” Kyle replied noncommittally.

“Audrey,” Dad continued as he began to transfer things from the back of the car to the waiting arms of the two strangers, “why don’t you show these young men the house? At this rate, we’ll get these things inside before dinner!”

I’m sure the face I made then was terrible, but my parents had already gone. At least I had the satisfaction of seeing the newcomers step back.

“…Right.” As the two boys huffed under the weight of the luggage, I quickly sized each box up.

“This is for the living room,” I told Kyle, and I peered around his large box at his friend. “And I didn’t catch your name,” I said, staring down quiet, almond eyes.

“I’m Liu,” he replied evenly. “I live further down the street. Kyle’s my best friend,” he added.

It was impossible to miss the warning: mess with him, and you’re messing with me.

Like I care, I thought vehemently.

Liu shifted slightly then, putting himself (I noted) out of my immediate reach. Kyle interposed himself awkwardly between us. “So… uhh… where is your living room?”

I sighed: the fortieth time that afternoon. “Just… follow me.”

After I’d pointed Kyle toward the living room and Liu to the kitchen, I took the box I’d grabbed and ran to my bedroom upstairs.

The room, white on white, was deceptively spacious; folding doors on one wall revealed a disappointingly shallow closet. Gauzy curtains pulled back to frame a view of the large but unkempt backyard.

“Just like the photos,” I muttered. I dropped the box, slung my backpack into a corner, and turned to leave.

“K-Kyle!” I gasped, stumbling a bit. The boy, standing in the doorway, grinned sheepishly.

“Sorry to startle you,” he said. “I thought you might need help.” But before I could gather myself and snap something in response, Kyle’s eyes widened and he spun toward the landing.

“What… what is it?” I asked, butterflies spinning in my stomach.
The boy grimaced as he looked back to me. “I think… Liu’s dropped something,” he said, embarrassed.

I raised an eyebrow. “How can you t- ” But I couldn’t finish my sentence; the boy had vaulted over the railing and rushed down the stairs!

Taking the steps two at a time, I arrived on the porch a second later to find Kyle and Liu huddled guiltily over a small pile of…

“My things!” I gasped, and dropped to inspect the damage.

“I’m sorry. The bottom fell out,” Liu said quickly. “I caught most of it but…”

Caught it? I wondered. For a second, I believed he was exaggerating. Then I saw the pile of assorted books, binders, and picture frames neatly laid down by the boy’s feet… and the box, thrown roughly to the side, a large rip along one of its bottom hinges. I moaned. And I’d duct-taped the center! I didn’t think the side would give out, of all the stupid, improbable…

“Are these yours, too?” Kyle held up a broken frame. Inside, one of my diplomas.

I nodded. Liu and Kyle exchanged a wary look- you know, the kind that conveys an entire conversation in maybe 30 seconds? It didn’t take brains to know what they were thinking, either. I’d seen the look before.

“I’ll pay to have them fixed,” Liu offered.

Shaking my head, I moved to pick up the pile of broken items. “No. It’s fine,” I mumbled. It’s not like I’m using them now; they were doomed to decorate my bedroom wall… not much else.

“Here. I’ll carry them inside.” Kyle swiftly flattened the cardboard box and stacked the papers- separated from pieces of broken wood and glass- with some of the rest of the contents of the box on top. “Where should I put them?”

I straightened and took the things from him, ignoring the brief look of hurt confusion on his face. “I’ll do it. Just… Get a trash bag or something; I’m sure you two can clean up this mess without making it any worse.”

I left, flustered, confused at being flustered, and only too glad to leave the two boys to their own devices.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:03:08 AM by itw2009 »
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Alic

Re: unnamed (long!) fiction. =)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
i really like this, and i hope to see more :)

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
 :D thank you so much! i would like to post more, especially since i'm getting a little itchy for feedback. you can only stare at a page for so long before the words start doing funny things.

e.g., occasionally, simple words like "gore" and "yogurt" and "stop" begin to lose meaning. >___>'

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
I love this as well--I'm really interested to hear how it turns out!
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
^^ thank you! i tried polishing up the next chapter- i think/hope i can get away with spoilerizing each one in the first post. =)

also, if anyone speaks for reals spanish (and not the bs i learned back in high school) and you see errors in mine... PLEASE tell me!! =D i would be so, so happy to hear about it.

Post Merged: February 21, 2010, 12:54:43 PM
=o

new chapter.

and there IS a female main character. i swear. it'll happen next chapter. (and you will love to hate her. Dx ;;; i'm trying very, very hard to balance her character out.)

there will probably also be another, but i haven't decided on how that'll work out, yet. D: still working out character bios for my 'crew'. ^^'

edit 2/22: made moderate edits to the last chapter. nothing like sleeping on edits to make them all seem ridiculous. D: hopefully, with additional work, my characters will have more definition and will be easier to write for/with/about. ^^;;

Post Merged: February 28, 2010, 12:22:59 AM
okay! fourth chapter added. =) and now you see the core four members of my fave posse.

audrey's parents are simplistic and.... WEIRD (for lack of a better, not-revealing word) for a few long, involved reasons. =)

(and they're gonna be even weirder by the time i'm done with them...)

so hang on! you've got maybe four more chapters before all hell breaks loose. >:D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:22:59 AM by itw2009 »

Alic

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:22:26 AM »
Keeeeep addin! I keep reading

Offline comet266

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
This is awesome!  I love all your characters so far, especially Kyle :D  Can't wait to read more!

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »
:D !!

thanks, guys! <33 your comments make my day~ =3

=) i'm really glad you like kyle, comet; i'm afraid i'm going to mess him up a bit soon, though, so enjoy his normalcy-ish-ness now, ahahaha.... ha.... ^^;; (the foreshadowing has already begun!! D:< ;; )

also, kyle's awesome amazing hearing ALSO has a good explanation; you'll hear about it eventually. =)

Offline comet266

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
:D !!

thanks, guys! <33 your comments make my day~ =3

=) i'm really glad you like kyle, comet; i'm afraid i'm going to mess him up a bit soon, though, so enjoy his normalcy-ish-ness now, ahahaha.... ha.... ^^;; (the foreshadowing has already begun!! D:< ;; )

also, kyle's awesome amazing hearing ALSO has a good explanation; you'll hear about it eventually. =)

you mean a la Jake?  can't wait to read more!  you should also give this a name :D

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
;D

WORSE THAN JAKE. (like, jake's problems with an additional BIG problem on top)~ but don't you love jake as a character?!? >=D i HAD to put him in a book. xD i split up different facets of my other fave characters in these four, too; i'm sure that you've figured that out. ^^;

and the problem-thing will happen really soon. it's like.... one of the larger events that sets the 'final conclusion' in motion. which is funny to say, because a lot of things have to happen for stuff that's already been started to come to any resolution, so the conclusion won't happen for a while, i don't think.

and i'm really bad at titles. ^^; something might come to me later as i flesh out certain scenes, though... but i welcome any title suggestions! =D i think that i might be too close to the story to come up with a title (if that makes any sense). like, it's hard to summarize my own ideas into, say, five words or fewer.

Offline comet266

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »
;D

WORSE THAN JAKE. (like, jake's problems with an additional BIG problem on top)~ but don't you love jake as a character?!? >=D i HAD to put him in a book. xD i split up different facets of my other fave characters in these four, too; i'm sure that you've figured that out. ^^;

and the problem-thing will happen really soon. it's like.... one of the larger events that sets the 'final conclusion' in motion. which is funny to say, because a lot of things have to happen for stuff that's already been started to come to any resolution, so the conclusion won't happen for a while, i don't think.

and i'm really bad at titles. ^^; something might come to me later as i flesh out certain scenes, though... but i welcome any title suggestions! =D i think that i might be too close to the story to come up with a title (if that makes any sense). like, it's hard to summarize my own ideas into, say, five words or fewer.

I don't know if this was what you were going for or not but Kyle really reminded me of a combination of both Jake and Marco...

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
HAH! i'm really glad you said that.

because i just spent half an hour reviewing character bios because of it.

well. kyle, as a character, is going to change dramatically. ALL of the characters are going to change, but kyle comes first. =) you'll see. aaron is actually going to stay more true to marco than to any of the others over the course of time... i think. xD

OKAY. i need to stop 'thinking aloud' in this response and get back to things. Dx

Post Merged: March 16, 2010, 06:04:03 PM
HAH. totally ran out of character space on the first post (man, only 50,000 allowed? psshhh...). SO! here, where it is hidden, i am posting the next chapter(s). ;P

ALSO. someone needs to tell me if the spanish is too much. aaron's house is spanish-english speaking (especially the kids, not so much the grandparents), so i wanted to get that atmosphere across. somehow. D: liu is similar and different in that his family only speaks mandarin at home... although the kids will mix it up a bit, i don't know even a word of chinese, so i'm not going there. xD; for which a lot of you will be grateful. but this is probably as much spanish as you'll see in any chapter; aaron only uses it at home, with hispanic friends, or when he's cursing.

edit: yes. edits. ^^; see what sleeping on edits does? i guess from here out, i should warn readers that reading a post within the first 24 hours after i post it will not be the same experience as reading an entry after that. xD

Log 9224.21.2140- Aarón
[spoiler]And… that should be the last of it.

Grunting, I pushed myself onto my feet, loosely holding a damp paper towel full of the smallest remains of Mom’s antique vase. Not that it was ever worth what she spent on it, but she’s going to kill all of us when she finds out…

Dumping the detritus, I started rearranging the furniture. Judging by the overarching theme of chaos on the first floor, I concluded that the twins had masterminded a game of tag with every piece of furniture they could climb on. It was a miracle that nothing else was broken.

And then, it wasn’t Ángela’s fault that things had gotten crazy; with Mom and Dad out until late, we were expected to take care of ourselves. As for me, I was supposed to have been home by the time the twins were dropped off, but that had fallen through…

My mind skirted the issue of my dubious lapse of sanity that afternoon. Covering this mess up was first priority. I moved everything carefully to avoid waking old Papí upstairs; small wonder that the vase shattering across the family room hadn’t already managed that, especially with Ángela’s fifty-decibel lecture afterwards.

But Marco and Julio –God save their five-year-old souls –had gotten the picture quickly. With wide eyes and after a few stuttering sorry-s, they’d both disappeared to their “secret base” and left Ángela and me to make sense of the leftover devastation.

That was fine with me; I didn’t need them getting cut on probably hundreds of tiny porcelain slivers that’d been embedded in the wood flooring and the cheap rug in the middle of the room.

And kids make mistakes, right? Years of experience’ll teach you that. And with five kids in the family and two grandparents hanging around, you learn how to be flexible and forgiving fast.

I knew that. I thought Ángela did, too. But it took no effort to hear my little sister fuming down the hall, turning a spaghetti dinner into a pasta massacre.

BANG!

“Those little…”

I winced and began to rearrange items on the bookshelf Marco had earlier marked as “home base”, trying to hide the absence of the precious vase. Not that it would delay for long the Armageddon that would come down on us sometime before tomorrow evening, but I’d take a few extra hours of life if I could swing it.

BOP. BOP. BOP.

“And late today, that –”

FWSSHHH…

I sighed and stopped. The bookshelf wasn’t getting any better.

A minute later, I peered into the muggy kitchen, where the air was thick with the smell of spices and wet with steam from the boiling pasta.

Ángela, in jeans and a simple t-shirt, still managed to look threatening as she danced back and forth across the kitchen, juggling sauce ingredients between the pantry, the fridge, and the pot. A long stream of curses poured from her mouth as she worked, punctuated by the sound of glass tinkling as she pulled spices off their orderly racks and flung their contents into the large spaghetti sauce pot.

Reluctantly, I cleared my throat.

“Ángela, ¿qué te fastidia?

The only sign my sister gave that she’d heard me was a noisy, huffy sigh. She whirled to a pile of half-chopped tomatoes and finished the job with efficient brutality, hacking briskly at a pile of the tender fruits and then scraping them to the side to make room for the next set. Outside the immediate reach of her butcher's knife, I reluctantly pulled a bowl of chilled bread dough from the fridge; I was glad Mom had gotten around to making it that morning. It saved me a lot of extra work.

Ángela eventually ran out of things to chop, beat, and throw so, as I rolled the cold dough into sticks on a wooden cutting board, she jabbed a large spoon in my direction.

Why weren’t you here earlier?” she demanded. “I was trying to take care of dinner, and you know I can’t do that AND watch those traviesos myself. What were you doing?” She narrowed her eyes. “You were out at the library again, weren’t you? Are you still doing that hacker stuff? Do you know what kind of trouble-”

I gently but quickly caught her wrist before the wet ladle could fling tomato slop at me. “No, no; it’s not like that.” I let go of Ángela’s arm quickly- before she could make use of her free hand- and tried to smile. “I was just working on my math homework. I met up with some friends and… lost track of time.”

Ángela searched my face, looking for the lie. When she turned back to her work, resignation confined to an eyeroll, I couldn’t breathe a sigh of relief; she looked anything but convinced.

Unfortunately, the fervor with which she combined the tomato sauce ingredients didn’t lose any of the raw violence that'd characterized dinner prep; I definitely wasn’t her only problem. I frowned and slid the raw breadsticks into the oven.

“Ángela, ¿qué pasó?” I asked again. A stab in the dark.

My sister suddenly sniffed. Finally, she dropped the ladle into the hissing pot and rubbed her hands quickly across her eyes. “...It’s Ésteban,” she said quietly, urgently. “You should have heard him this afternoon! You know, he stayed home because he was sick? Well, I went up to his room when I got home from Sophia's and… I saw this light under the door.”

She hesitated, stiffly stirring again. “I… I knocked, asked him what he was doing…” She trembled suddenly. “I heard v-v-voices! Harsh, metallic, buzzing! It was terrible; I felt like bugs were crawling on my back! So I just ran downstairs!”

Ángela stared up, as though she could see through the ceiling and into our little brother’s room, and hugged herself. “He hasn’t come down at all, and I can’t go up to his room. What if it’s infested or something? Like a horror movie; ¡cuán atroz!

Part of me wanted to laugh then, but I held my sister until she stopped shivering.

“No worries, Ángela. I’ll go check it out,” I promised. Bugs terrify Ángela worse than closets scare claustrophobics, so it didn’t seem so weird that she’d freaked. Still…

While I couldn’t put my finger on the feeling, something propelled me out the kitchen door and up the stairs. Ésteban was sick, hadn’t been seen all day… maybe something was wrong.

Standing at my brother’s door, I waited to hear the bug-noises my sister described. Meeting only silence, I knocked. “Oy, vato! ¿Qué estas haciendo? We haven’t seen your shining face all day!”

Still silence. I rolled my eyes and beat my fist on the door once, twice. “Have you puked your guts up or something? Ángela will make you clean up that mess yourself, and I bet she doesn’t even-”

Before I could continue, the door cracked open suddenly, and my younger brother’s face peered out angrily.

“WHAT?” he croaked, trying to yell and failing.

I stifled a laugh and focused instead on the dark room beyond the door- curtains drawn, lights off. I pushed the door open the rest of the way and tousled my brother’s hair. He growled at me and shoved my hand off.

¿Qué quieres?” he demanded hoarsely. “I’m sick. Leave me ‘lone.”

I grinned. “Ángela came earlier to check on you. I think your snoring scared her away.” I tried again to peer into Ésteban’s room. The eleven-year-old frowned and pulled the door closed, blocking my view.

“I don’t snore,” he argued impetuously. “It’s a game I was playing. It’s new. Like a War of the Worlds thing, but you wouldn’t know about it.”

“You must have had the volume up awfully high, chiquito,” I said, teasing. “Those aliens sound scary; are you sure you won’t have nightmares?”

My brother scowled darkly, but said nothing.

Satisfied, I smiled and went to go back downstairs. “Get some rest, okay? You shouldn’t miss soccer practice just because you want to play some new game. And you won't get out of school tomorrow for it either, or Ángela will tell Mom about today.”

My little brother contemplated this. Finally, he shrugged. But when I caught him out of the corner of my eye as he closed himself inside his room, I stopped my descent mid-riser. Had he sneered at me?

I scratched my chin. Well, he is that age when brats think even their **** is made of gold, I told myself. Can’t expect respect from that kid anytime soon.

I returned to the kitchen. In the middle of inspecting the pasta, my sister glanced up at me. “Is he okay?” she asked.

I grinned. “He has a new game. You were hearing one of the characters talk, is all. I’m surprised he was able to answer the door at all; it looked as though he’d been playing it all night.”

Ángela blinked. Then the anger came. “That boy has been skipping his soccer practice for some… some game?” she fumed, voice rising. “¡Dios! You know, that boy is nothing but trou- ”

Her mouth continued to move. Her voice…

I waved my hand in front of her face. Or, you could say, I meant to move my hand. Inwardly I cursed as the world around me spun into an unrecognizable ripple of space and light.

AGAIN? I wanted to shout in frustration.

This time, none of the appliances went haywire. And, although I tried to hold onto something, it was a worthless gesture. By the time I had finished reaching out for the nearby cabinets (while somehow simultaneously reaching through thirty dimensions), the wave stopped, and I found out that I hadn’t moved at all.

“-ble. If he misses another and that coach of his calls in again, you know Mama will-”

“Wait, wait!” I held a hand up. Ángela stopped, mid-sentence, to glare at me.

“What?” she said. “You know it’s true. Mama’s been-”

My sister continued on her tirade without noticing that I’d stopped listening. She didn’t see it, either, I realized, anxious. This time, I was standing right in front of her. Am I really going crazy? This last I thought with a twinge of fear. Since I was the only person to notice what was going on, I had to be the source of the problem.

On another hunch, I glanced at the clock.

“Whoa! What time is it?” I ran toward the kitchen wall clock, again interrupting my sister, who retorted with something appropriately violent about where she planning to stick her sampling spoon it if I kept changing the subject.

I pointed. “You didn’t change the clock, did you?”

My sister snapped, “Of course not! Why would I do something like that, eh? It’s only 5:45…” She paused. “Or, well, it was…” She tapped the watch on her wrist and looked again at the clock on the wall as it rhythmically ticked away the seconds.

“Right. It’s 6:12,” I stated, folding my arms across my chest. Where did the last half hour go? I wondered. I reached up, plucked the clock off the wall, and pressed my ear against it.

“It’s not the batteries, loco,” my sister reminded me. “I replaced them last week! And the clock isn’t old. I’m sure I lost track of the time, taking care of those locitos you call brothers.” The last word came out of her mouth more as a growl than a word.

I smiled sheepishly. “You’re probably right.” But as I replaced the clock on the wall, my fingers shook. Something similar happened earlier. At the same time that weird… thing… happened. I sighed inwardly. If Ángela’s also noticed the time difference, maybe I have proof that I’m not going crazy but… where does that leave us?

Drumming her fingers on the countertop as she considered the clock, Ángela suddenly pointed out, “Hey, didn’t you have something to go to this evening? Some party or something?”

It clicked. “AaaaAH! I forgot!” I nearly yelled, launching myself out of the kitchen. “I have to go to a friend’s surprise party.” Back in my bedroom, I grabbed my friend's present and my backpack and burst back downstairs. "¡Caray! At this rate, I’m going to be late!"

“Language!” My sister exclaimed, more out of reflex than anger. “Those niños will start spitting back things like that before you know it and then-”

I grinned and gave Ángela a quick peck on the forehead. “I’ll be back before long,” I promised, pulling on my jacket.

“You’d better be back soon!” My little sister frowned menacingly. “You-”

But I was through the front door. “I’ll bring back some cake for everyone! Don’t worry!” I shouted, running down the front lawn to my bike.

If I was lucky, maybe I’d get a chance to figure out what had happened- maybe I’d bump into someone who had seen what I’d seen. Or even someone who knew about what I’d seen.

So I hoped.[/spoiler]

Log 5626.21.2140- Liu
[spoiler]There was nothing to break the silence.

Kyle stared at the closed door, arms partially extended, mouth frozen: a puppet with its strings cut.

He looked kinda pathetic.

I shot a glare into the house; bad day or not, this girl had crossed a line. I’d offered to pay for the broken frames, so what the hell was with that last remark? And even when we’d shown up, there’d been no self introductions. No “nice to meet you”. I think I’m pretty understanding: people have reasons for doing what they do. But this girl?

I sighed darkly. Using my sneaker as an impromptu broom, I began to scrape scattered glass shards across the concrete porch. Kyle reluctantly followed my lead and began a search for projectile debris. When I got around to pulling the photos, documents, etc. out of the rubble, I didn’t spend much time looking at any, but it was hard not to file away all of the awards, achievements... the photographs…

One of the last was a recent family portrait inside a sophisticated wooden frame, where Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and their daughter had been positioned in front of some prosaic studio background. Mr. Anderson stood in the back; his immaculate polo shirt and khaki pants played the visual counterpoint to his easygoing (but close-lipped) smile. Crow’s feet gathered at the corners of his eyes and a smattering of grey waged war on brunette temples. He certainly seemed nice enough… maybe even too nice. Mrs. Anderson- with a kind of classic Western prettiness- flashed what would have been a model’s smile on a younger woman. Like her husband, she seemed to have stepped out of some sixties American commercial for, I don't know, Jello or Coke; she seemed too happy, too nice, too...

Okay, I was definitely overthinking the photograph. Still, this couple somehow exuded "shiny, space-age plastic coating" and it was nothing like what I saw when I glanced over at their daughter.

And a surprise, that; Audrey looked... happy. Not at all like this afternoon. From the way she leaned towards her parents, it seemed as though they- and not the photographer- had her attention.

I shook my head; figuring Audrey out was not my problem. I set the print aside.

“Hey. Kyle. Take a look at this,” I said suddenly, holding out a framed piece of broken glass. Behind it, a large piece of faux parchment displayed a school emblem and a handful of obscure, loopy signatures.

My friend glanced over. “I know about it, Liu,” he replied with an eye roll.

“No; look. It’s…”

Kyle shrugged. When he squinted to read the writing on the diploma, I sighed; he didn’t get it. So I grabbed a second, oversized piece of paper and held it next to the first. Kyle gaped. “Wait. Two? She didn’t… say...”

“Her name’s right there,” I pointed out. “Unless she's a lot older than she looks, she's some sorta talent in..." I paused and snorted. "Heck, I don’t even know what those degrees are for, though I might have a good shot at pronouncing them correctly.”

But Kyle wasn’t listening to me. Instead, he stared at the diplomas with a calculating intensity. Like he couldn’t believe they were real. Me? My parents had been shoving examples of supergeniuses and prodigies under my nose since I could walk… and probably sooner. They were 100% sold on the theory that the exposure would rub off on me and that I’d turn into one of them. Unfortunately, while “genius” hadn’t translated like an air-borne virus the way my parents had hoped, at least I’d ended up with an appreciation for the kinds of things people my age can do. Not to sound harsh, but I didn’t think that the diplomas were earth-shattering.

“Oh! There you boys are; I thought you’d be inside! I saw Audrey run upstairs with- …Oh. Oh. I see.”

I flinched and looked up sheepishly. Kyle mirrored my gaze as we hovered like murderers over a dismembered corpse: only, in our case, piles of broken glass and empty frames substituted for arms and organs. Audrey’s mother took stock of the mess from her vantage point on the front lawn. Expecting the worst, I couldn’t decide whether to try to explain or stick to damage control, so while Mrs. Anderson used her fingers to coax her disheveled hair into a neater ponytail, I banked on the former.

“It was my fault. I apologize. The bottom fell out on me. I… promised to pay for repairs, but…”

Then, to my surprise, the woman chuckled. “That sounds like Audrey.” As if watching her daughter through the walls, the woman’s eyes followed the line of the stairs up to the second floor. “She’s… unique. My husband and I often wondered if she hadn’t been switched on us as a baby, when she was little.”

I tried not to choke; what kind of parent says something like that? And to near-total strangers? But Mrs. Anderson immediately laughed. As if it didn’t matter. “Why don’t you consider cleanup the payment instead?” She suggested. Rolling the red plaid sleeves of her button-up shirt up to her elbows, she hooked a thumb to me and then at the door. “You can find a trash bag in the family room, on top of the couch. While you’re there, stop in the kitchen and grab some snacks. I left a plate on the counter.” She smiled encouragingly.

I nodded- it wasn’t like I could argue- and slipped inside.

The house was the mirror image of Kyle’s, so I had no problem finding my way around. The trash bags and the food had been left in oases of relative calm amidst turbulently stacked towers of boxes and furniture wrapped in old bed sheets and towels. By the time I’d returned to the porch, Audrey’s mom had disappeared. Kyle, on the other hand…

“What happened?” I asked. “Your face… you look like you just swallowed week-old lunch meat.”

Kyle shook his head, conjuring a grin up from the depths of some sort of deep contemplation. “Nah, it’s nothing,” he dismissed. “Did you find the snacks?”

I laughed and revealed the plate of sandwiches. “Turkey, bacon, lettuce, and tomato,” I announced, waving the dish tauntingly beneath his nose.

When Kyle reached for the plate, I pulled my hand back and out of reach. My friend grinned, got to his feet and growled good-naturedly. When he whipped his other hand out, I slid a sandwich off the plate for myself before I let him take his own.

“Haha; nice, Liu. Very mature,” Kyle snorted.

“Are you two always like this?” A high-pitched voice cut in. Audrey.

I tried not to roll my eyes; it took a force of will I wasn’t proud of. “That would depend,” I said evenly. “Define ‘this’.”

The girl wrinkled her nose. “Like… this. Playing around. Like…” She paused, searching for the right words.

“Like friends?” I supplied, failing to completely hide the sarcastic subtext. I didn’t need her criticizing that, either.

Kyle coughed and held out the papers we’d set aside. “Audrey, here. We separated everything; you can take whatever you want and we’ll clean up the rest.” He glanced at me and added, “And I was thinking. Since you’re, uh, new here, we- or I could… Well, would you like a quick tour around town?”

…What?

From behind Audrey’s back, I shook my head and mouthed the word. What was he thinking? Kyle countered with a raised eyebrow: a silent message for one-time favors and patience. I heaved an inaudible sigh.

Audrey, on the other hand, had frozen completely. “I… I shouldn’t," she faltered. "The movers… my parents… I should help them finish unpacking. That’s what you came here to do, wasn’t it?”

Kyle bit his lip. “I thought it’d be after everything here is under control. The drive’d be short; if you haven’t noticed, it’s kind of a small town.”

Audrey floundered. “Oh. Uh… I… I don’t know. I’ll ask my folks. I have a lot of unpacking to do.”

I interjected. “Wait. Ask your parents? You’re a college graduate. Why should you 'ask your parents'? Or, here's a better question. Why the heck are you still living with your parents?”

The girl flushed hotly. “It’s none of your business!” Putting her hands on her hips, she somehow managed to look down the tip of her thin nose at me. This, irrespective of the fact that I couldn’t have been fewer than four inches taller than she was.

Kyle stepped in quickly. “You can ignore him, Audrey. It’s like… misplaced anger.” He flashed one of his patent “no-sweat” smiles. “He’s just frustrated that I got to ask you out before he could get a chance.”

“…You don’t mean that.” Audrey retorted. Her eyes, like a deep jade and just as uncompromising, caught Kyle’s for a long moment. She folded her arms across her chest. “You’re saying that to make me shut up.”

Kyle drew back. I was sure she wasn’t exactly incorrect but… “I didn’t mean to sound like that,” he objected. “I think that we should all calm down. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Why don’t… why don’t you just think about it? I’m not going to take it back just because you have stuff to do.” He smiled sardonically. “I promise not to break anything. I’ll stay out of your way, if you want.”

“You’re… you’re mocking me.”

Kyle sighed, exasperated. “You- ”

And then I knew that something had happened, because Kyle turned reflexively toward the garage.

“…Well, ‘I’ what?” Audrey prompted. “What is it?”

Muttering, Kyle stepped off the porch. “Speaking of not breaking anything… It sounds like the movers are busy making your parents nervous; I’m going to go check it out. But like I said. You’ve got time; just… let me know?”

“I’m not making any promises,” the curt reply.

I felt a cutting reply roll to the tip of my tongue, but Kyle seemed to have read my mind. He pursed his lips and I stepped off. Maybe I was being too hard? Or even jealous? I evaluated what I’d said and didn’t see anything wrong. Maybe Kyle was crushing on her. That made sense. …Except for the wrongness inherent in liking this girl.

And then Kyle was gone, having retreated without a glance back. Leaving me with the neurotic blonde.

Oh. Crap. I groaned internally. I wanted to stick with my friend, but I needed to clean up the porch. Unfortunately, Audrey wasn’t moving either; instead, she was pinning me beneath glares that, in another universe, might have stripped the flesh from my bones. As it was, I swear I felt the surrounding temperature rise by a dozen degrees.

“So…” I began awkwardly, swiping my hand across my nose as I evaluated the rest of the debris.

“So what?” the girl asked, indignant. “Your friend looks busy enough, and it’s obvious that you don’t want to be here. Why don’t you just leave?” She flung a hand off the porch, in the direction of Kyle’s house.

I rolled my eyes. “You’re right: I don’t want to be here.” I glanced at my watch. Now seemed as good a time as any. “In fact, I have somewhere to be.” Namely, back at Kyle’s house, setting things up. It’s already this late, but… I began opening the folded trash bag.

Audrey started. “What are you doing?” she asked, her frown taking on a slightly different persona.

“Finishing what I started,” I said coolly, gingerly cradling small shards with my hands. I grimaced; I needed a dustpan, or I’d be picking needles out of my hands for a week. “Do you have… a broom or something I could borrow?”

Audrey’s lips twitched. She replied grumpily, “Maybe. I know we have 'something', but I’d have to see if it’s been unpacked, or if I can at least locate the box it’s in. But I’ll take care of it; I’m sure you have better things to do.”

In that moment, the light bulb went off. Here was the solution to my problem. “Actually, you know,” I turned toward the garage and dropped my voice to just above a whisper, “it’s Kyle’s birthday today, and I have to go get some stuff done for the party.”

Audrey stared. “O….kay? So? Get going.”

Shaking my head, I nodded inside. The girl followed, closing the door behind us. I explained. “I’m kinda holding a… surprise party for him. I need to get back to his house to set up.”

“You’re making it sound like I’m involved,” Audrey replied tightly. “And… what are you doing now?”

“Looking for a dustpan. Or a broom or something,” I replied, systematically reorganizing boxes in my search. “I’m trying to be nice, so you might consider doing a small favor for me.”

The blonde laughed, startled. “What? Wait, are you being serious?”

“Ah-hah,” I commented. Improbably, I’d found the cleaning supplies. As I hefted a short broom/duster, I replied, “Yeah, I’m serious. I’ve been trying to lure Kyle away from his house since this afternoon.” I jerked a thumb toward the garage. “Now he’s out, but he dragged me with him. Look, all I’m asking is for you to tell him you want to, I dunno, find the high school or something. Kyle drives you around, I go finish up the party preparations- no harm done. It won’t take long.”

“I-” Audrey interjected, flushing, “I’m not going to high school. Besides, I don’t see what I’m getting out of this.”

“You’re getting my gratitude for being nice. I take favors seriously.”

She barked a short laugh and plucked the dustpan from the same box. “Sure. But your gratitude doesn’t mean anything to me.”

“Hey.” I lightly held her upper arm (although a small part of me was toying with the idea of backhanding her face). When she whirled around with a half-snarl, I leisurely skipped back a step. “I don’t have a lot of time. I’m sure you can think of something. What about the mall? The grocery store?” I’d backed halfway out of the front door, anxiously listening for sounds from the garage. I didn’t need Kyle’s inhuman hearing picking any of this up- for a lot of reasons.

Of course, then Murphy’s Law kicked in and the garage door flung open to reveal my friend, a large dresser, and Mr. Anderson. I cursed silently and quickly pulled Audrey out onto the porch. Internally cringing at the depths of my desperation, I offered, “If you go with him, you can come to the party. I’m sure he’d want you there.” Assuming spending time with you doesn’t kill him, first.

Audrey watched me noisily fill the trash bag with wary interest. “I’m not… I don’t really go to parties. I won’t know anyone.” She started to head back inside, calling, “I’ll be upstairs in a second. I’m taking the bedroom at the far end of the hall.” The monstrous piece of furniture turned and lumbered its way up the stairs.

“Wait. You’ll know me and you’ll know Kyle,” I argued. “At least… just take Kyle up on his offer. I don’t know what his interest in you is, but he’s sincere. And he doesn’t deserve…” I trailed off, mentally hitting myself for letting that last bit slip out. And now she’ll be begging to help you. Good job, Liu.

Audrey stared at me. Shockingly, for a moment, she seemed almost… sorry. Then the sounds of labored breathing drifted through the open door. “I’ll… I’ll think about it,” she said finally.

“Uhm… thanks, then.” I guess. With the mess cleaned, I tied the bag up and followed Audrey upstairs. I found Kyle straining under the heavy piece of furniture. He looked at Audrey, gave me a questioning look.

I shrugged, feigning innocence. “Kyle, just to let you know- I’m headed out. I’ve got to take care of a couple things at my place. Then I’ll definitely be back for dinner. You know you owe me one.”

Kyle smirked. “Yeah, I know. All right… most of this is taken care of, anyway. I’ll see you later.”

Mr. Anderson thanked me, I apologized again for the mess on the porch, and then I skipped back downstairs as quickly as I could. Audrey’s mother, with some sort of psychic timing keyed to flush my patience down a toilet, intercepted me before I could get far.

“On your way out?” she asked. “You could stay for dinner. It might be takeout, but it’s the least we can do to thank you.”

Feeling guilty, I shook my head. “Sorry, Mrs. Anderson. I… I have plans. But thanks for the, uhm, the sandwiches. They were delicious-”

“Call me Laura,” the woman replied, chuckling. “ ‘Mrs.’ is too formal for me. I feel like my mother, and I know I’m not that old, yet!” She gestured for me to follow her. In the kitchen, she picked up a paper plate of wrapped sandwiches and handed them to me. “You can take these with you; you earned them!”

I eyed the plate and warily accepted the food. “That’s, uh… very kind of you, Laura.” I couldn’t get past how weird it felt to call an adult by her first name.

Even if she’d asked for it.

“No problem,” she agreed, laughing again. Then, to my surprise, her face seemed to go blank for a moment. Taking my hand in both of hers she added suddenly, emphatically, “Please do continue to take care of her. She…” her eyes took on a faraway look, “There are just some things that parents aren’t good for, you know?”

“Uh…” was all I could manage before the woman backed away, blinking.

“Weren’t you on your way out?” she asked, smiling absently at me.

“Erm… yeah.” I edged toward the front door. Having nothing else to say, I fell back on manners. “Thanks again,” I added as respectfully as I could, not even listening for a reply as I shut the door behind me.

What the heck was that? I thought, uneasy with “Laura’s” last words. Maybe that’s where she gets it from, I mused, thinking of Audrey. Weird on top of weird. That woman made it sound like I was supposed to be helping her daughter or something.

I trudged down the street until I’d lost sight of Audrey’s house, crossed the street, slid through a neighbor’s backyard, and backtracked to Kyle’s. Well, I don’t care if Princess Leia shows up in person and tells me “I’m her only hope”; I am not getting involved in anything else that isn’t bona fide, 100% normal. Period.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:26:22 AM by itw2009 »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
So.. umm... I promised to read this ages ago... and only just now did so. ;_; Don't hate me?

First off- I like it. :D I'm putting this out there because sometimes I forget to mention in the midst of an attempt at constructive criticism. XD

I don't think you should use so many direct thoughts. Generally speaking, it flows better if you have thoughts as part of the narration. Like...

Well, he is that age when brats think even their **** is made of gold, I told myself. Can’t expect respect from that kid anytime soon.

As "I told myself that he was at that age when brats think even their **** is made of gold..." I don't know. For me, when it's first person narration, you're always inside the character's head already, so having "yadda yadda yadda, I thought" is kind of... jarring. And it's really easy to overuse. Which is probably why I avoid using it at all. XD

That being said... I really love some of the things Aaron says. :)

four and a half feet of grim, ladle-wielding ruthlessness.

That phrase is so full of win it isn't even funny. (Or... I mean... the phrase itself is funny... but the fact that it's full of win... isn't... okay, I'll shut up now.)

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:13 AM »
lol~ let's say that i'm just happy you read it. ;) and i'm glad you liked it, too!

i see your point with the thoughts thing... in my head, the narration of past events in first person and the thoughts of the person at that time are two separate things... but i can also see how it might be overkill...? =O so i have to think about it. ^^ aaron does a LOT of thinking. audrey too, to think of it. >____> hmm.... well, given the backgrounds of all four, they ought to be heavy thinkers. so i'll definitely think about rewording some of this.

xD and thank 16-year-old me for that one- i'm pretty sure that phrase has survived a LOT of edits.

Post Merged: April 02, 2010, 09:35:07 AM
^^ Added the next chapter (see last post with chapters in it.... because I'm organized like that?). I hate this chapter, btw. I've changed it so many times... Dx I swear, next chapter will be slightly more interesting...? Probably? ^^;

there's also a reason for the animosity that neither liu nor audrey know about yet... and won't know about for a loooong while. >___>; but someone please let me know if anything sounds really AWKWARD? xD it would help a lot. <3
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:41:21 PM by itw2009 »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
:D Are they full of teenage love, angst and denial? Or are they secretly destined to face off in an epic battle?

...I can't decide which I'd read.

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
let's say that in their past lives, they had good reasons to distrust each other.

i'm actually still deciding on one of the specific reasons for that, but i know generally why. it's all related to the main antagonists. :P

i guess, as a hint, i like my protagonists/antagonists to wear shades of grey in the good/bad department.

the teenage love and angst and denial thing is going to happen in THIS life (largely because i can't decide who's going to hook up with whom and who dies in the end). ;) so lay that on top of past issues, and...

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »
*arranges it neatly*

Excellent. :D