Author Topic: Does anybody else find it odd  (Read 2991 times)

Offline eacortes

Re: Does anybody else find it odd
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 04:11:18 AM »
To answer this question directly, yes , I would say I do find it odd that my favorite childhood story ( and continuing adult favorite!) is Animorphs; although I didnt fully perceive it as a war story untill much later in the series when things got very dicey.  It was when I read Hork-Bajir Chronicles that I realized how grand the story was. How it goes into the past and future, shapes your perception of many charcters from their point of view, not one or two.  I suppose war draws the attention of many people, as opposed to all too common romance novels, and blah scary stories like Goosebumps with no real value to them.  But Animorphs brought us something very different and special, as you put it, an " epic war story" unlike anything else put out there before or after.  I quickly realized this point immediately after discovering Animorphs so long ago, and thats why I cant let it go.  

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »
To answer this question directly, yes , I would say I do find it odd that my favorite childhood story ( and continuing adult favorite!) is Animorphs; although I didnt fully perceive it as a war story untill much later in the series when things got very dicey.  It was when I read Hork-Bajir Chronicles that I realized how grand the story was. How it goes into the past and future, shapes your perception of many charcters from their point of view, not one or two.  I suppose war draws the attention of many people, as opposed to all too common romance novels, and blah scary stories like Goosebumps with no real value to them.  But Animorphs brought us something very different and special, as you put it, an " epic war story" unlike anything else put out there before or after.  I quickly realized this point immediately after discovering Animorphs so long ago, and thats why I cant let it go.   

Well said. +1

And welcome!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
For me, the weird thing was that Goosebumps was so popular! And that Animorphs wasn't popular in France... I mean, my friends only remember have heard of/seen the stupid TVshow!
PS: And even more, I can't understand how nobody read Shadow Zone and Spooksville, when - I think - it was better than Goosebumps ^^'
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
i think i read some spooksville  the only one i remember was one about people that were turning into dogs mentally and some Dog people that had them as pets.

it didnlt exactly scare me and i'm not sure if it was spooksville or not.

===============================================

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »
Hmm.  As I remember, Goosebumps was more "what-if" strange speculative fiction than scary.  It was pretty decent, if not real memorable. 

I for one have no shame.  Well, almost no shame.  Let me put it this way.  Last week, Mum was all on my case.

"Weathel," says she, "Make your Christmas list."

I'm thinking really, I'm a pretty happy guy.  All I want for Christmas is my security clearance and a solid job offer.  But, she's all insistent, so I set out picking some reading material that's at my reading level in Japanese.  That doesn't have too much boobage on the cover, since that's kinda embarassing.

"Whacha readin', Son?"

"Oh not much, just the cover's trashy.  Honest."

So, after some searching I settle on three comics and a book of short stories by MIYAZAWA Kenji.   One of them is called "Yotsuba to!.  Yes, it's supposed to be every bit as bright and cheery as the covers suggest.  And yes, I have no qualms of taking that to work to read at break time.

itsudemo kyou ga ichiban tanoshii hi! -- Today is the best day ever!

Box two will include a volume or two of Animorphs.  I'm not quite at that level yet, but yes, the art's amazing and I wouldn't be embarrassed to read that in public either.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
 hmmm...now that you mention it...no. I was a kid in 3rd grade, and the cover of it intrigued me because it was fantasy-ish (of course, more sci-fi ish). I remember my close friends read it, but when I moved schools in 5th grade, I found a group of friends who solely came together because we shared a common thought in animorphs.

Now in college, i'm meeting more and more people who have read it...i mean, my two closest friends have and its interesting to find out who has and who hasn't!
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 04:53:26 PM »
i think i read some spooksville  the only one i remember was one about people that were turning into dogs mentally and some Dog people that had them as pets.

it didnlt exactly scare me and i'm not sure if it was spooksville or not.
No, it isn't a Spooksville ^^'
Spooksville and Shadow Zone weren't scary, but they were a kind a "funny horror" books. Shadow Zone was like a "what if"... a mummy want you to help it/your sister's boyfriend is a werewolf/an alien wanna kill your sister... but we usually see that the monster isn't so bad.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
I was never really secretive about it, nobody really knew about it though. I stared when I was in 4th grade. This kid who skipped a grade was reading #8. I took one look and thought it was some weird book. the next day I read the summary and went to the back of my classroom (where the class library was) and picked up #1. I got hooked half way through. I still remember thinking "what kind of name is Visser Three?!" I read a book in public once. I never found the entire series on paper, but the books helped.
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:12 AM »
 lol , visser three. haha

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 01:02:43 AM »
I got into Animorphs for the animals, stayed for the aliens, and was really influenced morally and imaginatively by the war story.  I absolutely loved all the little parallels to historical wars, and the shades of grey on all sides of the war. 

I think I've always liked war stories? :P

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline powertrash

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »
Well, I think it's safe to say my obsession is a running joke among the people who know and (hopefully) love me. There are three things that I really like: Buffy, Angel and Animorphs. But I *really* like them, meaning I talk about them way too much and make references during normal conversations ("Oh, god, there was this one Animorphs book where X happened and I remember thinking Y and that is so how I feel right now about this moment, man, this MOMENT") My friends, however, are dorky themselves. We almost built a giant TARDIS out of cardboard to watch the End of Time Part II. So it's nothing I'm embarrassed about; I have a few friends who like the series a lot (albeit not like I do) and we discuss it from time to time.

There's very little I'm embarrassed about, though I do blame the fact that I've read all four Twilight novels on my 15 year old sister.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
yeah I was weirdly ashamed and secretive about it

I still am, and I really don't understand why.

Me too. I was always strictly an "online" Animorphs fan. I found a pretty large online community of fans (of which anijen was a part of!) when I was relatively young....ten or eleven? And that was the only place I would ever express my interest for the series. In the real world I was embarassed, because everyone would be like, "Oh, you read those alien books with the ugly kids on front? lolz." So I kept it to myself....they just thought they were SO cool for reading Goosebumps. >.<

This. Maybe it's an age thing?

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
i don't remember ever finding it odd that i liked a series about a war. i just remember that Animorphs and Goosebumps were the two book series that i saw everywhere when i was in school growing up.

i recently became friends with this girl because we had a mutual friend. And i told her 1 night how i was re-reading Animorphs yet again. she got so excited because she thought she was the only person who remembered the books lol
There are three things that I really like: Buffy, Angel and Animorphs. But I *really* like them, meaning I talk about them way too much and make references during normal conversations

haha that's me exactly xD

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
yeah I was weirdly ashamed and secretive about it

I still am, and I really don't understand why.

Me too. I was always strictly an "online" Animorphs fan. I found a pretty large online community of fans (of which anijen was a part of!) when I was relatively young....ten or eleven? And that was the only place I would ever express my interest for the series. In the real world I was embarassed, because everyone would be like, "Oh, you read those alien books with the ugly kids on front? lolz." So I kept it to myself....they just thought they were SO cool for reading Goosebumps. >.<

This. Maybe it's an age thing?

wait, so you guys knew each other since you were 10/11?

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
Yeah. We met in person when we were....how old? 14? 15? Something like that.

We've known one another for a loooong time, hehe. I don't remember how old I was exactly when I met her.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013