Author Topic: Does anybody else find it odd  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Serraph105

• Banned
Does anybody else find it odd
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:21:16 AM »
That the Animorphs was your favorite childhood story (that is of course if it really was)? I kinda do. I mean everyone else around me was wrapped up in reading these little scary stories called Goosebumps (which didn't even have continuity) while I was reading a truly epic intergalactic war story that continued from one book to the next. I wouldn't have called it "epic" but since it has the whole Ellimist vs Crayack and we are just pawns in their game that has been going on for billions of years I'd say it definitly deserves the title of epic.

Anyway the question is do you find it strange that your favorite series growing up was all about war.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
Re: Does anybody else find it odd
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
Not really. What I always found weird is that my favorite series is science fiction, which isn't normally a genre I read much of.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:27 AM »
i'm proud to be an animorphs-fan. it was pretty popular. (nowhere like goosebumps, of course)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:31:16 AM »
When I was little I never thought of it as a story about war, just a series about a group of kids (each of whom I identified with for different reasons) who turned into animals to fight aliens. I've always loved the series and always will. It's the series that got me into reading (and eventually writing) and also increased my interest in animals (which led to me choosing animal care as a career).

Funny thing is that I knew it must have been popular to have made so many books (plus it's own TV show) but I never met anyone in real life who was a fan. I've had friends who've read some of them and my older bother brother read a couple (and listened to me tell him about the rest, lol) but I never knew anyone who was really into the books until I found RAF Classic back in 2003.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »
I was surprised that no one else was reading the Epic story. Than again most people who were reading it were in Elementary school. I had to get the books by ordering them from those scholastic papers the Elementary school students get. So my brother would get the books for me While I was in High school.  Because of that my brother got into teh story. But of course no where as into it as i am. <_< which is why I'm a member here and he is not.

===============================================

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »
I didn't find it odd. Goosebumps and Fear Street were my favorite book series before Animorphs, but once I found Animorphs those other series eventually paled in comparison.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
yeah I was weirdly ashamed and secretive about it

I still am, and I really don't understand why.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
yeah I was weirdly ashamed and secretive about it

I still am, and I really don't understand why.

Me too. I was always strictly an "online" Animorphs fan. I found a pretty large online community of fans (of which anijen was a part of!) when I was relatively young....ten or eleven? And that was the only place I would ever express my interest for the series. In the real world I was embarassed, because everyone would be like, "Oh, you read those alien books with the ugly kids on front? lolz." So I kept it to myself....they just thought they were SO cool for reading Goosebumps. >.<

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Alic

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
the only thing i  found odd was there was very few of us who loved it.. thats how i made best friends with someone at school.. when i saw an animorphs book in her locker..

i've been trying to ask her to come here.. but she just hasn't....

i almost brought an animorphs book to work last night, andalite chron. when i was younger that was the book i could read over and over... but i know people at work would be making fun of me... and i dont know.. im supposed to be the supe and i guess i dont want everyone thinking im immature or something...

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
Alic, immature? o.O Never.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Alic

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Alic, immature? o.O Never.

no one at work knows.

:thumbsup:

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
I was never secretive about it. I read the books on the bus and during lunch period. I was friends with a schoolmate mainly because I saw him reading one of the books. Unfortunately I graduated before the series finished, so I may never know what he thought of the ending.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »
I actually had quite a few friends who also read the books when I was younger.

In fact, that's how I got hooked on the books in the first place.  I had a friend who was so obsessed with Animorphs that she wouldn't shut up about it until I read the books.  Lol, talk about role reversal!

And I was never secretive about my obsession, either.  Probably because I had so many friends who also read the books.  Funny thing was, even though I was constantly reading the books in public, and even though I had a pair of bullies that would make fun of me for everything else, I never got teased for it.  I think the worst thing that ever happened to me at school relating to Animorphs was that one of the bullies moved my bookmark to mess with me.  0.o

Now, of course, my obsession is a lot more subdued, at least in public.  Most of my friends know how I feel about Animorphs, but I don't tend to take my books to public places anymore.

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 01:52:05 AM »
I remember taking #42 when it was fresh and newly released when I was on a field trip in Highschool
Forest Ecology class.

I remember hiding in the bathroom to read my book undisturbed.

===============================================

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:20 AM »
i was never secretive.  i remember in elementary school, every kid at school read Animorphs (and Goosebumps)

And even when i started seeing less people reading them, i still kept my love for the series public lol. Even now in my college dorm room i have my animorphs collection out in plain view. People see it as soon as they enter my room lol