Author Topic: Why was Cassie immune?  (Read 6144 times)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: Why was Cassie immune?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
One thing that really bugged me is that none of them thinks to morph out as a way to get rid of the bug. I mean, sure, they'd probably be re-infected fairly soon upon demorphing,
but Ax, for instance, could morph something non-lethal, explain the procedure to the team, and then demorph and get his head fixed that way.
Admittedly, the books have already addressed diseases and injuries that aren't morph-fixable, but this is all pre-Gafinilan. No rule had been made for it.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:39 PM »
One thing that really bugged me is that none of them thinks to morph out as a way to get rid of the bug. I mean, sure, they'd probably be re-infected fairly soon upon demorphing,
but Ax, for instance, could morph something non-lethal, explain the procedure to the team, and then demorph and get his head fixed that way.
Admittedly, the books have already addressed diseases and injuries that aren't morph-fixable, but this is all pre-Gafinilan. No rule had been made for it.

but what about jake morphing the eel?
he was sick AS an eel and afterward too.

(although i wish they'd tried, too)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
um... one of the symptoms was uncontrolled morphing (hence why they panicked when jake got sick). They probably didn't think it was possible for ax to morph something. especially since another symptom was being delirious

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »
I am not sure if this has already been mentioned but human immune systems are actually quite advanced you could put something from mars in your bloodstream and your body would probably be able to produce a couter to it. Also Cassie spends alot of time around sick animals which could make her immune system "stronger" so she did get the virus but her body was able to counter it the others couldn't especially tobias.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Mira

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 06:08:15 AM »
Maybe she wasn't immune, maybe she was just lucky.

By the way. I'm born and raised on a farm too but I don't have a very good immune system. I'm even allergic to cats (and we still have three of them at home)

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 06:16:07 AM »
Mira is unlucky exception then... Exposure to diseases is good for your immune system (if they don't kill you). children in rural areas also tend to have fewer allergies, because they are exposed to germs to fight off (allergies are linked with our immune system being designed to fight off the plague and dystenery and being bored and overreactive in today's antiseptic conditions) this varies from place to place, when my father visited East Africa he noted that Polio was just a boring flu to the locals, conversely very isolated populations tend to die easily of the flu.  so i would say Cassie, by her environment (vet) and genetic lottery was immune.

Offline animefanboy

• I'd shake your hand, but, you know, peanut arms
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
I always figured poor Cassie needed something interesting about her. I'm sorry to any fans of hers, I love the girl but her books were always kinda boring.

Forever Blue

Mira

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »
I always figured poor Cassie needed something interesting about her. I'm sorry to any fans of hers, I love the girl but her books were always kinda boring.

Except for the one were she sprayed Visser 3

Offline worldwidewoman

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 08:58:24 PM »

Except for the one were she sprayed Visser 3

I always liked Cassie and Ax's books the best. Their books always had more thinking and introspection than the rest. To each his own I guess.

Cassie didn't get sick First, as mentioned before, because all of her shots are current. Second, Cassie has really good hygiene from the nature of her and her parents' work. Even though she might wear Jeans with bird poop on them I'm sure she washes her hands pretty consistently. That would certainly be a habit that she picked up from working in the barn around sick animals, if not to protect herself to protect one sick animal from the next. Washing your hands alone is enough to drastically decrease your chances of getting sick.
Remember: although the disease was deadly for Ax it was only a flu for the humans. What is the first thing they tell you to do when the flu is going around? Right, wash your hands. Also, I believe Cassie is a vegan or vegetarian. I'm not saying that the two are healthier than meat eaters just that they are more likely to be aware of their health. I'm sure Cassie was getting more than enough of her serving a veggies and fruits throughout the day. What is the second or third thing you are likely to hear when the flu is going around? Plenty of Vitamin C, fruits and veggies.

That's why I always thought Cassie didn't get sick.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
As far as I can recall, this hasn't been brought up before so I thought I'd mention it.

In book 29, Ax falls ill because of a malfunctioning gland in his brain which in turn causes the rest of the Animorphs (except Cassie) to become sick. Obviously for the plot to make sense, Cassie couldn't be sick as well otherwise she couldn't be able to save Aftran and Ax. However, it is never said why Cassie may have been immune to whatever infected the other Animorphs. The only reason I could come up with was that since Cassie was born and raised on a farm, she might have a better immune system. This isn't a great theory, since Tobias' hawk body would probably have had a better immune system than Cassie and he still got sick.

So, any theories?

Also, why didn't the virus spread through the school and the Animorph families like wildfire?  (Ax said that it was very contagious).  After all, Ax was AT a school dance when he first got sick.

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »
Well that could have happened, Tim. Because we only get the books from the Ani's POV, we won't see the sickness spread across the school.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »

but what about jake morphing the eel?
he was sick AS an eel and afterward too.

(although i wish they'd tried, too)

Jake was sick as an eel in the water system.  Why didn't the flu spread all over town and even into the Yeerk Pool via the water system?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »
Well that could have happened, Tim. Because we only get the books from the Ani's POV, we won't see the sickness spread across the school.

Then KA should have taken pains to mention the flu outbreak either in this book or a succeeding book.