Author Topic: Ramonite and Bio-Stasis box  (Read 1446 times)

Offline voodooqueen126

Ramonite and Bio-Stasis box
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »
Were morph capable andalites imprisoned in ramonite boxes or bio-stasis chambers?

Also was ramonite made of ramon or would something made of ramonite be called ramoniteite?
This came up translating it into arabic:
Should I translate ramonite into Arabic like this:
???????? (b) or like this??????? (a)?
to transliterate (a) raamooniit or (b) raamooniyun.
the suffix "ite' means from/made of roughly, it's very common in ancient especially biblical works (what the originals said I wonder) for instance: Jebussites, Hittites, Isrealites etc. In arabic the suffix "iyun" (roughly my tutor didn't explain in depth) carries the same meaning as "ite" (apparently i will ask indepth on wednesday) so if something is made of ramon then you translate it as 'ramooniyun' instead of 'ramonite... but is the ite part of the actual word rather than a suffix that carries the meaning 'made of/from'?

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Ramonite and Bio-Stasis box
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
I'm not sure how V3 holds Alloran when he's in the pool. It could be an enescapable ramonite box, or he could be in bio stasis, or he could be monitored by beam weapons that sense morphing. Like what Taylor had Tobias in when he was captured the second time.

I'm certain he's kept inside the Bladeship, though, which would be almost impossible to escape regardless.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Gotta go with bio-stasis, here.  Or at least, ramonite box + something to restrain his tail.  If Alloran had had the use of his tail while he was free, he would have slit his own throat rather than go on being a controller.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »
You're right. Beams that prevent morphing and escape wouldn't matter, unless his body was also restrained somehow. Biostasis would be the most viable.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
Or maybe they just went luddite and conked him out
I go off topic on purpose.

VisserZer0

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »
In the FAQs in the back of Book #31, KAA says that
"He swims in Yeerk form. Whem he drains out of his host body's ear, Hork-Bajir guards keep Alloran under heavy guard and restraint."

'He' meaning Visser Three, obviously.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
visser three ate himself some oatmeal and no longer needs kandrona rays.  in a few cases, such as when he was posing as tobias's cousin, the animorphs would say things like "we were so busy checking to see if she was a controller, that we didnt think of the possibility of her being a morph"  or in one of the later books, when visser 3 wants to morph the governor because making her a controller would be impractical due to not having access to kandrona rays.  it also explains why he is so crazy.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »
visser three ate himself some oatmeal and no longer needs kandrona rays.  in a few cases, such as when he was posing as tobias's cousin, the animorphs would say things like "we were so busy checking to see if she was a controller, that we didnt think of the possibility of her being a morph"  or in one of the later books, when visser 3 wants to morph the governor because making her a controller would be impractical due to not having access to kandrona rays.  it also explains why he is so crazy.

:lol:

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
what is bio-stasis though? does it mean paralysed or does it mean frozen like being in an ice box?
What I wrote.
"Placed as he was in a ramonite box that disabled his morphing powers at the same time it immobilised him." this is what I imagined.
It sucks that RAF ate the arabic letters. so is ramonite made of ramon or is ramoniteite made of ramonite?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »
Isn't -ite just a suffix for minerals? Like bauxite and stalagmite? So ramonite is just ramonite.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
Oh I thought it was a suffix for ancient people "Canaanite, Malikite, Khezzite,". So if bauxite is not made of baux, but is in fact called bauxite something made of bauxite is called bauxiteite? so Ramonite is ramonite. so In arabic it should be called ramoniteiyun?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »
lol or ANDALITES that come from...

THE ANDALITE HOMEWORLD

hold on let me check trusty wikipedia

"'-ite', a suffix for a chemical name of a molecule with one fewer oxygen atom than an "-ate" molecule."

so like "sodium carbonite" vs. "sodium carbonate"

whatever it's science fiction it doesn't have to be totally accurate.

anyway as far as the Arabic, I hate to be culturally myopic but you could pretty much call it anything and I wouldn't doubt you.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14:43 AM »
Well the 'ite' part of "Andalite" means of "Andal" I guess like the 'ite' part of Canaanite means of Canaan... Except that it is specifically revealed in the Ellimist Chronicles that the Ellimist named the Andalites, since on this basis we must conclude that all voiced Andalite words are actually Ketran in origin, the Andalite word for Dirt could well be different (i think KA Applegate said that the Andalite homeworld is like Earth in that it is called the Andalite word for dirt, which means that it may not be called 'Andal" because the word Andal is probably the Ketran word for 'sentient quadroped" except... oh dear I have confused myself...
so ramonite is a molecule that contains one fewer oxygen atom than an ramonate?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
evidently

and "ramon" must therefore be some elementary particle we haven't discovered yet!

ooh I love etymology!

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
because ramon is an element and ramonate and ramonite are its compounds with oxygen. therefore ramonite must be translated as ramoniyun in arabic or whatever is arabic for 'one less oxygen particle than ramonate". Yay to have a clear answer.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinum
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Unobtainium
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Animorphs
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:41:50 AM by voodooqueen126 »