Author Topic: James and David  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: James and David
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:06 AM »
I like the idea of using the same battle morphs, and only attacking in groups of six, but the biggest advantage of higher numbers is the ability to do more at one time. Meaning different cells should be making attacks at different locations.

Or maybe they could just use the cells to do stuff more often, instead of doing multiple things at one time. So it would still be one group attacking at one time, but they'd be able to attack on a daily basis or so.

As far as number 2 goes, I think staying in school and trying to further education and such would be more beneficial to them if they managed to win. Though I'm not sure if that outweighs getting their families to safety. They could probably still do a kind of home schooling, where the Chee supply them with academic resources like textbooks.

But it's a fact that they had two safe locations to hide their families and use as bases: The Chee's basement and the Hork Valley.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 11:55:13 AM »
I don't think the reason why they kept up the masquerade so long was because of any tactical advantage or anything like that.  Warriors or not, these were still just kids.  They didn't want to give up their lives to fight this war full-time, and so they didn't do so until it became clear that there was no other choice.

I agree that it would have been a better idea to go underground sooner.  I think they were taking a big risk, leaving their families (not to mention themselves) out in the open.  And they could have hurt the Yeerks a lot more if they had inducted their families earlier, giving their families a better chance of getting used to the new reality so that they could be much more helpful than they actually were in the final arc.  Heck, maybe they could have even given their parents morphing powers, and allowed them into the team.

Not to mention that, if they'd acted sooner, Jake's family would have been saved, FTW.

All of that said, in the Animorphs' place, I still would have done exactly the same thing they did.  Just laid low, and tried to keep a quasi-normal life.  Not a good tactical move, but the Animorphs were so much more than just tactics.

As for the guerrilla cell groups idea, I've heard that talked about before as something the Animorphs should have done.  The idea has merit, but you have to consider the security risk.  Even if you gave the other cells absolutely no information on the other groups, if any of them were infested, it would still be revealed that they were human.  And if the Yeerks ever realized that any of whom they were fighting was human, then they could have pulled what they did in book #49 earlier (ie, testing blood samples for matches to find the Animorphs).  And if they had ever actually known in book #49 that a number of the forces opposing them were actually human, rather than just speculating that that was the case, the Yeerks would have tried harder to keep that operation secret, and maybe, just maybe, they would have found the Animorphs before the Animorphs even knew they were looking.  Bam.  War's over.

And its a fact; the more Animorphs you add, the more likely it is that one of them will eventually be made into a controller.  So you can't just keep adding more and more 'cells' and increasing your forces.  Somebody is going to get caught eventually.

Truth is, the small group they had worked well.  It minimized the security risk, while still allowing them to inflict damage on the Yeerks.  Keep in mind, of course, that up until, what was it, book #46, they were just holding the Yeerks at bay until the Andalites came to the rescue.  They weren't trying to defeat them all by themselves.

Offline Jess

• God
  • nostalgia makes me come back
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
There was always that glimmer of hope that the kids were just keeping the Yeerks at bay until the Andalites came.

When it was finally definitive that they weren't coming, to betray or to release some sort of quantum virus or offer any assistance at all, that's when the guerilla warfare began.

I would have probably tried to live as normally as possible until it was impossible, as well. Just having some semblance of reality helped keep most of the six sane for as long as possible. Six was a very powerful number, indeed.

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »
you can't really draw a relationship between the two.

mainly because K.A. never gave James enough Character Development as David.

and let's face it, James was a red shirt. David as a villain for 4 books.
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »
okay this may be a really stupid question, but is there ever a definitive reason WHY the Animorphs don't tell their parents what is going on before #48 or whatever?

I mean there's the whole "THEY COULD BE CONTROLLERS" but idk, on this reread I am kind of disappointed that they are so untrusting of adults. It is mentioned at one point something like "are you kidding an adult does not have the elasticity of mind to accept an alien invasion" and I'm kind of like "yeah that's why sci-fi sells so well to 18-35 year olds"

And besides, there were PLENTY of people they followed around for three days, making sure they weren't Yeerks. Marco's potential girlfriend in #25 pops to mind. So they would know if their parents are Controllers. And most of their parents seem like loving, caring people that would listen if their kids told them they were the only force stopping an alien invasion, and might even, you know, WATCH as they did a morph for them. If they were really 13-year-old kids, I just really think one of them would have cracked a lot sooner, and wouldn't have needed to be cut in half by a shovel to do so.

But of course, the whole "a bunch of kids fighting aliens all by themselves" would be a much better sell than "a bunch of kids whose parents know that they are fighting aliens all by themselves." But idk, I mean, Harry Potter made it work.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
Maybe they didn't want to risk any of the parents being captured...though I guess that wouldn't be much of a problem if the parent's weren't fighting...

Or maybe they didn't want their parents fussing over them like Mrs. Weasley, haha  :P

Offline Jess

• God
  • nostalgia makes me come back
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
Well, parents aren't really big on opening their minds and being like... imaginative and believers and things.
They believed in the system, and it's seriously bad security.

What if they ended up as controllers?
That would just be suicide, plain and simple.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
Yes there's a greater risk that someone would be taken. And unfortunately, not all of their battle morphs would come with a blade they could slit their throats with if it came down to that. Like the andalites. But I think that's an acceptable risk.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Well, parents aren't really big on opening their minds and being like... imaginative and believers and things.
They believed in the system, and it's seriously bad security.

What if they ended up as controllers?
That would just be suicide, plain and simple.

In reality, that's where I disagree.

In a children's book series, hell yes, parents tend to be dumb road obstacles that get in the way of the ingenious little kids figuring everything out. If it's a genre thing, fine, like I mean Roald Dahl loved his adults ineffectual and villainous, and even Harry Potter had the Dursleys, but in this series, if they weren't Controllers, none of the adults seemed to behave the way you described. I mean even THE GOVERNOR in book #51, who is one of the most complicit members of "the system" you described, was like "Aliens? OK thanks for telling me." And in fact, once the parents found out, Rachel's mom was the only one who really gave them any trouble, and that was just because she hated the outdoors and were scared of the Hork-Bajir lol.

So I guess my point is, they really just made their lives harder than they needed to be for the majority of the series. The argument that "they could be made into Controllers" is sort of valid, but even then not really, because until Marco's dad got targeted for that...reason, the Yeerks seemed to recruit exclusively through the Sharing. They'd even let humans they needed go, like the woodland guy in #9 and oh, I don't know, TOBIAS in #33 for really dumb reasons. So if Jake walked up to his parents, were like "Aliens are real, Tom is infested, don't join the Sharing, help me keep him tied up in his room," and morphed to tiger, do you really think his parents would have lacked the imagination and faith and been too tied up in "the system" to do anything about it?

It just would have given everyone someone to be emotionally vulnerable with besides Cassie is all.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
I think I'm on the wrong bus. I thought this bus was going to parallels-between-james-and-david, but it seems to be headed to what-the-animorphs-should've-done...

[spoiler]translation: we're kinda off-topic aren't we?[/spoiler]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »
Yeah, and I think I was the one that started it. Sorry about that.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
Since we are going off topic does someone want to resurrect the 'if the yeerks were invading' thread and continue this discussion. after all there is only somany times you can say 'David and James both have blond hair and morphed lions."
Irony, lions=jesus... but the animorphs regard them as unlucky (this should go into religion and animorphs) and Jake's morph was the tiger rather than the more stereotypical lion for leadership.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:27 PM »
wasn't jesus the lamb of god?

that would be a hilarious battle morph

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
Jesus is the lion as well as the lamb... the lion is sort of 'I come with the sword to avenge the innocent (paraphrasing here)" aspects of jesus, rather than the crucified aspects.
Aslan=Jesus.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
wasn't jesus the lamb of god?

that would be a hilarious battle morph

almost as hilarious as a horse