Author Topic: Where are the Sstram and Mak, anyway?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Where are the Sstram and Mak, anyway?
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
Those species were said to have been totally conquered, like the Hork-Bajir and Taxxons early in the series. However, we don't really read about any of them past when they were first mentioned.

In this thread, talk about things that are mentioned once, but never expanded on.

Ani-Master 2014!

esplin

Re: Where are the Sstram and Mak, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »
the 5
idk why i always remember them lol

yeah i remember jakes yeerk was gloating about it, the animorphs did mention seeing a few aliens in the yeerk pool they didnt know.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »
I think when they mentioned the unknown aliens in book five as they escaped the blade ship, it was Gedds. Not a whole lot of research went into this thought, but that was what I thought they were.

Ani-Master 2014!

esplin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
yeah i havent done any research ethier lol
i seem to remember it alot though, who knows, im not one of those guys who remembers every single detail :\

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »
It's one of the earilier books, so either they did not enslave the Sstram and the Mak (completely annihilated the species instead), or it was KASU. However, the former is more likely to be true.
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 01:01:03 AM »
well maybe it was just because they werent suitable for any tasks on earth, like they arent good for fighting or they are used for some special environment like the leera, meh who knows, maybe KA just wanted to leave things open to introduce a few more alien-controllers if she got bored with HB and taxxons lol

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:09:34 AM »
maybe they need a gas other than nitrogen or oxygen the two main gases in the earth's atomsphere, to survive. I find it hard to believe that every species in the universe lives off of oxygen or nitrogen...

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »
maybe they need a gas other than nitrogen or oxygen the two main gases in the earth's atomsphere, to survive. I find it hard to believe that every species in the universe lives off of oxygen or nitrogen...

Well, no. I think it's said that the atmospheres of the Yeerk and Andalite worlds are different from Earth's. What Loren puts on the breathing helmet in Andalite Chronicles, she still suffers a little because the air is meant for Andalites and not Humans.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:40:05 AM »
then how come they don't have trouble breathing on earth?

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »
Yeah, I think if the Yeerks and Andalites can hang out on their homeworlds and on Earth with no problem (and Andalites can live on the Yeerk homeworld, even if the air is harsh, I think that's mentioned in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles) then the Yeerks' hosts would probably be able to live in similar environments.  I think Edriss also mentioned that a planet of creatures that breathed methane would do little good to the Empire, in Visser...if nothing else, most of the planets would be incompatible with the new host species.

I think they were a KASU, or maybe just the Yeerk gloating, or it was fed propaganda that wasn't true. 

The biggest one-mentions I can think of are the voice at the end of 41 and of course, The One...and wasn't it mentioned at one point that the Hork-Bajir go on a warpath every thirty years or something?  I thought that was another KASU somewhere...

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »
The breathing thing: perhaps they simply acclimate faster than humans. It likely resembles altitude sickness, in which the air is too thin. You eventually get used to it, since it doesn't kill you outright, and it doesn't cause gradual but lethal lung deterioration like asbestos exposure does, so the lungs can eventually repair themselves of any minor damages.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
I think Ax says something like, the Hork-Bajir ONCE HAD a warpath every thirty years or so.... I guess they evolved to remove the warpath....
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »
No, I don't think so. I think it was said somewhere that the Hork-bajir have never fought, never killed until the yeerks came.

esplin

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 09:53:44 AM »
maybe they didnt infest these guys, they just killed them all and took their planets for natural resources

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »
 Well, what I wonder is just how big the Yeerk Empire wsa. towards the beginning of the series i always thought the Yeerk Empire was huge and Earth was just one small part of their campaign. However, when the war ended with the destruction of the Yeerk forces at Earth I thought, surely, the Yeerks didn't concentrate THAT much force on Earth. But who knows.
If their empire was big, maybe the Ssstram and the Mak are just being used in another part of their empire.
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?