Author Topic: Taxxon Evolution  (Read 2446 times)

Offline voodooqueen126

Re: Taxxon Evolution
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 03:39:28 AM »
It could be some sort of mutation caused by an environmental factor? their are cannibals on earth but this has generally been 'eating people you kill in war'  rather 'eating every living thing in sight' and the taxxons have some sort of mental illness rather than run of the mill human cannibalism. they don't seem interested in sex, i mean nobody ever says 'yuck hermaphrodite sex with giant cannibal centipedes in public"
wait no that's Lamarckianism isn't it?
actually their not exclusively cannibals-they eat dirt and well all meat.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
Well. What do we know about the the living hive? Maybe. MAYBE, the living hive actually produces Taxxons specifically bred to be eaten... that would be such an interesting evolutionary path. Maybe its some sort of religion (like that one race in Ellimist Chronicles that caused them to kill upwards of more than 75% of their children or something like that).

If I remember, the living hive was against the Taxxons going to the Yeerk side.
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
Well. What do we know about the the living hive? Maybe. MAYBE, the living hive actually produces Taxxons specifically bred to be eaten... that would be such an interesting evolutionary path. Maybe its some sort of religion (like that one race in Ellimist Chronicles that caused them to kill upwards of more than 75% of their children or something like that).

Az, that is a bloody good point right there...

i actually never thought of it like that until just now. but i agree. also like it's been stated before (numerous times) KA didn't really digress on the taxxons... i wish she had, cos they are pretty cool

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 08:06:13 AM »
I think somewhere it's theorised in the books that the reason Taxxons are such voracious eaters is because they're afraid of starving to death. Their sentience drives their cannibalism.

I think someone on this forum said the living hive may be a collection of Taxxons, and in TAC it can shut off a Taxxon's hunger. So the ones around the hive are quite tame.

Taxxons are said to be good swimmers in book 4, so I doubt the entire taxxon world is a big desert. Like Tantooine in Star Wars.

Ok, that's all I've got.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »
the Taxxon home planet is a watery world with very few creatures in it other than the Taxxons also how can sentience drive cannibalism wont that make them smart enough to know that eating themselves is an evolutionary dead end.
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
yeah but elfangor goes there in TAC and  he describes as being a complete desert.

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 01:01:40 AM »
Maybe that was just the parts he saw
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »
maybe they can swim because of underground caves, or pools of bug juice...

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »
under ground caves sounds feasible.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »
maybe they're vast underground caves. that sounds kewl.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
Taxxon evolution is something I've often wondered about, so here's my two cents on the topic.

First of all, Taxxons cannot be purely cannibalistic.  If Taxxons ate nothing except other Taxxons, the law of conservation of mass and energy says that the entire population would slowly convert all their mass into energy and then go extinct when they ran out of mass.  You cannot have enough babies to offset that trend, because babies do not come from nowhere.  So Taxxons might be cannibals, but they are not pure cannibals.

Secondly, book #43 mentions that, while Taxxons are diggers, if they eat nothing but dirt they would starve to death because the dirt doesn't have enough nutrition for them.  HOWEVER, the book also says that a Taxxon can lose control and then dig until it starves.  This seems like a phenomenally stupid adaptation, since it would mean that Taxxons would be digging themselves to death left and right.  Which leads me to believe that it must only be earth's dirt that has so little nutrients that they can starve to death while eating it.  Planet Taxxon must have some kind of super-nutrient-rich dirt just so the Taxxons would be able to dig as much as they do without all of them starving to death.  And my theory to explain the Taxxon world's "super-dirt" is that the 'scruffy little plants' that Elfangor described in TAC might actually have extensive root systems under the surface, which might enrich the dirt far beyond the levels of nutrients found in earth's dirt.

So, from all this I think I can conclude that the bulk of their diet consists of Taxxon world super-dirt, and that they're hungry all the time because, super-dirt or not, they still need to eat a freaking lot of it to survive.  Thus their constant, insatiable hunger is adaptive, since it drives them to eat all the dirt they can.  And their cannibalism and hunger for meat is adaptive too, since meat would have even more of the nutrients they need, and thus would be vastly preferred over dirt.

And as far as the hive goes, I believe that it might be the adult form of any Taxxon that actually manages to live long enough to get to that phase, and that the rest of the Taxxons might just be larval forms.  Thus why it creates more Taxxons.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »
I think we can maybe marry your theory and the Living Hive theory from above.

The Taxxon super dirt theory is interesting. I've never read 43, which makes me feel like a doofus, but if there is nutrient rich dirt on their planet and that seems to be the only resource, maybe Taxxons themselves are contrived from that very dirt. Maybe they don't reproduce conventionally--maybe it is the job of the Living Hive, whatever that means, to produce Taxxon individuals from the very nutrient-rich dirt from whence they come! Then the living hive would be exactly that-something that lives by producing new worker drones when it wants to grow, using the energy of the very earth
it is comprised of.

I think this would also explain why taxxons not only have voracious appetites, but turn to cannibalism--if digging is their nature, and they dig not only as instinct but for sustenance, then it must be a pretty strong compulsion. So when they're not digging, they want to dig. And I'm assuming they dig with their mouths, and if they're made from dirt, then taxxons probably taste like the dirt they dig. So when they're not digging, either because they're on the surface or off-planet, their compulsion points them to the nearest alternative to fresh, taxxon-grade dirt--namely, other Taxxons.

I think that actually makes sense.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 12:19:41 AM »
but they eat anything and everything, not just taxxons.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:25 AM »
Does that men that Taxxons are silicon based life forms.
Jimmy Neutron.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »
but they eat anything and everything, not just taxxons.

yeah, but they sure seem to prefer other Taxxons, don't they? If you're super hungry, you'll take what you can get.
I go off topic on purpose.